Focke Wulf line tiers 5-7 (How do I grind it?)

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Mojoe_Bailey #1 Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:38 PM

Master Sergeant

• 1443 battles

Ok so I have the tier 5 Focke Wulf and I am losing 70%  of my games in it. I am doing everything I possibly can. Turning is so piss poor that heavies can outturn it sometimes. Why did Wargaming make the plane suck so much? Historically this plane could perform as well as a Spitfire and tests were done to compare both planes. It was said that Focke Wulf turned SLIGHTLY slower than Spitfire but had the better guns. Otherwise they performed similarly at all altitudes and had excellent maneuverability. In this game it does not just turn slightly slower. It turns 4 whopping seconds slower. It turns like a heavy fighter but does not have much speed at all. I have lost most of my games in this thing. Any suggestions?

Will Wargaming fix this plane sometime in the future. I get that nobody liked the Luftwaffe and all, but is Wargaming really so prejudiced as to deny the stellar real life performance of this aircraft?

Also, does anybody have suggestions on how to win in it? I'm trying to unlock ta 152 and BV P series. I fly just for fun but hate losing my win rate which I worked hard for and I hate bias. I can't even fly P51, my favorite plane, right now because of anti-American bias in this game. 

mnbv_fockewulfe #2 Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:04 PM

Captain

• 256 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

Horizontal BnZ.

Spiritfox should chime in in a minute and explain further.

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

Spyshadow01 #3 Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:15 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1361 battles

The A1 is kind of trash, so really there's not much you can do about it.  The armament is merely alright and its ordinance load isn't anything special.  It's somewhat fast, so you can use that plus your long boost to try and outrun LFs but not HFs (though it is just maneuverable enough that you can win if you bait HFs into turn fights).  Overall, though, its advantages aren't very significant while its downsides are, nothing much you can do but bear with it.  I suspect the A5 will be a little bit better, because its armament is a significant step up and actually quite powerful for its tier, but I haven't tried it out yet because the A1 was such a chore to get through.

I didn't mind playing the American LFs though.  The P-51A isn't great but it's no where near the 190A1 in terms of being lackluster.  I actually kept the P-40 and P-51D in my hangar because I liked them so much.

Edited by Spyshadow01, 19 April 2018 - 11:48 PM.

MBT808 #4 Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:31 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1285 battles
  • [BB-C4] BB-C4

focus on getting the top 20mm, hound bombers, GAA's, and heavy fighters. You're a fighter with the firepower of a heavy, though less than stellar maneuverability(though significantly better than a Heavy). You have great burst damage and chance of crit(due to the number of weapons you carry), getting those initial crits make a huge difference. Don't get into turn battles if you can avoid it(with a fighter or more maneuverable multi), try and go for distracted targets(Human players are priority in most cases).

The most important thing though is to maintain good situational awareness, don't get too tunnel visioned. if someone engages on your tail, while you may not be able to out turn them, the best thing you can do is use your boost to escape or try and delay them long enough for your team makes to help.

Lastly, I would recommend stopping at the Fw 190 D, the BV branch off and BF 109 line become superior tier VIII+(better weaponry and maneuverability with comparable speed).

Cenotaph #5 Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:42 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2964 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostMojoe_Bailey, on 19 April 2018 - 02:38 PM, said:

I can't even fly P51, my favorite plane, right now because of anti-American bias in this game. 

Umm... are we playing the same game?

The US has plenty of good (some are even great) planes, including the P-51s.

I don't want to hurt you... I just want to kill you!

EM1O #6 Posted 20 April 2018 - 12:59 AM

Senior Airman

• 1914 battles
  • [JG52] JG52
i figured i'd just get smacked down and try to grind my way through these flying bricks, because i liked what i saw others do with the Fledermaus (bat) viii to x craft.  it's like many MMO games.  you want something? work for it!  you just can't beat free.

"...oh Great Itzamna, you shall know Us by the trail of Our Dead."

ArrowZ_ #7 Posted 20 April 2018 - 01:18 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles

Forget about the mentality of comparing historical facts of plane performances to WOWP (it never works out). Consequently this affects how you should fly the plane. Also win rate lost its integrity as a useful stat when they added AI to this game. It matters little now.

As for winning in the FW series? It's a hard line for sure. Just like every other thread about this topic I give these dot points for the FW line up to the FW252 (something that I still need to learn myself when flying these aircrafts):

• Fly it like a heavy - stop turning. Fly in straight lines with a few evasive rolls for defensive measures. Horizontal BnZ (listen to fockey - I've seen him fly these FW well before 2.0 - he's got the experience)
  • Conserve your boost - no boost = dead FW
  • Burst Fire with the larger cannons - don't hold the trigger, wait to get in closer and for the opportune moment and unload all you got. Guaranteed you will kill anything in less than 3 seconds if done right.
  • Slow down with flaps to gain more lead time on targets but only do this on a dive zoom and never more than 5 seconds. Any longer and you'll be a floating balloon and an easy target to everything else.
  • Be patient - Don't rush. The whole point of BnZ is to choose your positions in the map wisely and support your team the best possible way.
  • Be a support role to your team - Don't go wandering on you're own. Clear tails, support your GAs to take military bases/mining plant/ - you have the guns to take those armored GTs out, but don't stay down low too long or you will bleed all your airspeed. Make passes in a BnZ fashion and keep an eye on the map as you are helping along - ordnance will also help (you have options with bombs or rockets)
  • Don't be suckered in down low near the ground. Always BREAK off and extend horizontally and gain distance. You will almost always gain distance if you manage your speed right with these FW. They have great energy retention (speed -> altitude)

I wish I was disciplined enough to follow all these points. Made a video recently of the Ta183 which is also in a similar boat but has alot more acceleration, speed & altitude with hard hitting 30mms. But it suffers from the same problems in the TnB meta. You'll be tempted to turn many times with these lines because alot of the things want to stay down low and there aren't enough targets at high altitude. Hopefully you'll do better than me. Good luck!

Edited by ArrowZ_, 20 April 2018 - 01:21 AM.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

WOWP 2.0 Videos Playlist

Blucraft #8 Posted 20 April 2018 - 01:28 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1495 battles

I fly my A-5 like a medium altitude heavy.  You have to pick your targets and avoid horizontal fights; the bombs and rockets can turn the tide when flipping sites.  Here's how I currently have it setup:

fw190setup-041918.JPG

-Blu

ArrowZ_ #9 Posted 20 April 2018 - 01:54 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles

I also didn't see the question next to the title.

A: Engine first -> Airframe -> Guns/Ordnance.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

WOWP 2.0 Videos Playlist

SpiritFoxMY #10 Posted 20 April 2018 - 01:58 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3141 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

OP's history seems to be of the US rules, Russians drool school if his "RUSSIAN BIAS" complaints on the Corsair and Mustang threads are anything to go by.

Honestly, if you can't get the Corsair to work, the Focke Wulfs will be a huge challenge as both these planes have similar playstyles. I'd say stick with the Spits, Yaks and Kis if you want pure turners. 

But if you're willing to put the time in and learn a different style of fighting, welcome to one of the most rewarding lines in the game.

Basically ArrowZ has the points laid out - you don't turn in a 190: you vaporize your target then move on. One pass, haul [edited]should be your motto at all times. Keep close watch on your boost: try no to engage unless you have at least 13 seconds of boost.

The main advantage you'll have compared with the Heavies is the ability to track a small manuevering target during the Boom - its a lot harder to dodge a Focke Wulf bearing in on you than a Hornisse or Mosquito. You're also smaller and lighter which means better acceleration in a straight line.

Stay at the edges of a fight if possible and pick off unwary targets: humans (especially Spitfire pilots) tend to ignore 190s at least early in a battle. Teach them the price of overconfidence. If ANYONE shows an interest in engaging you, go wings level and step on the gas. 

That's one thing you need to drill into your brain: DO NOT TRY TO CLIMB AWAY FROM A FIGHT. It is Wings Level and straight out. No diving, no climbing. Spitfires, Mustangs and even Zeroes can catch you in those, or at least deal crippling damage before you can break away. Wings level, straight out.

Once you are a safe distance away (about 1400m from a pursuing fighter) you can pull up and Immelmann back at them. Nothing survives a head on with a 190 (at least the A-5) so you want to make your attacks head on in a duelling situation.

If you have no one chasing you, pull over gently and climb. I fit Improved Radiators so that I can climb while disengaged, then dive with an idle engine into the fight to recover my boost faster.

So, attack profile: Dive to engage > wings level, boost out > regain altitude > repeat. 

A-1 is very mediocre, but its a good training ground for learning effective 190 tactics. A-5 is a monster. Dora is good but faces pretty nasty opposition

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

FluffyPabu #11 Posted 20 April 2018 - 09:48 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5968 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostMojoe_Bailey, on 19 April 2018 - 10:38 PM, said:

Ok so I have the tier 5 Focke Wulf and I am losing 70%  of my games in it. I am doing everything I possibly can. Turning is so piss poor that heavies can outturn it sometimes. Why did Wargaming make the plane suck so much? Historically this plane could perform as well as a Spitfire and tests were done to compare both planes. It was said that Focke Wulf turned SLIGHTLY slower than Spitfire but had the better guns. Otherwise they performed similarly at all altitudes and had excellent maneuverability. In this game it does not just turn slightly slower. It turns 4 whopping seconds slower. It turns like a heavy fighter but does not have much speed at all. I have lost most of my games in this thing. Any suggestions?

Will Wargaming fix this plane sometime in the future. I get that nobody liked the Luftwaffe and all, but is Wargaming really so prejudiced as to deny the stellar real life performance of this aircraft?

Also, does anybody have suggestions on how to win in it? I'm trying to unlock ta 152 and BV P series. I fly just for fun but hate losing my win rate which I worked hard for and I hate bias. I can't even fly P51, my favorite plane, right now because of anti-American bias in this game. 

Multirole fighters top priority is to hunt GAAs when attacking a neutral base because normally they have much powerful guns than Fighters and also carry bombs, they can quickly annihilate the GAAs and destroy any damaged structures. Their another job is to defend bases against GAAs and Fighters. MRFs are the best class in the World of Warplanes as they are the all-rounder.

One thing that newbies make this mistake is that they try to play MRF totally like a GAA, which is wrong because your guns aren't that powerful enough to destroy structures except maybe lightly armored one. You can earn capture points by destroying the attacking GAAs.

Good luck :great:

comtedumas #12 Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 5854 battles
  • [FK] FK
Start drinking, maybe?  I haven’t solved this either, the 190s should be so much better than they are.  

Dru83 #13 Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:21 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2674 battles
  • [X3M] X3M
SpiritFox is the 190 master and Arrowz has some good points too. One point I'd like to make is that in most BnZ planes, they reverse direction best on the vertical. Maneuvers like the Immelman, Split S, and Half-Cuban 8 allow you to reverse direction much faster than turning does. Like the others have said, the 190 is more of a supporter. Fly on the outside edge of caps, find someone who isn't paying attention or is low on health, dive in, shoot them dead, and then fly straight and level out of dodge. Then regain altitude and look for the next victim.

wylleEcoyote #14 Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:50 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2180 battles
  • [ALAS] ALAS

So, with the changes 2.0.5 brought about for the FW 190 series any thoughts on equipment build out?
Up rated engine seems the no brainer of all B&Z german planes.
More Thrust for more fire chance.
2% Acceleration + 1% Cruise for 5% fire chance to be specific.

and yet  good FW pilots swear by boost management.
And oh look at this a Combined Injection/Boost system  that gives More Boost Efficiency for Less Boost duration
2% max acceleration and 1% max speed but only within Boost at the cost of 6% of Boost time...

And because this aint a Me109 we can only pick one. 

What Do?

SpiritFoxMY #15 Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:59 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3141 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

For me, the choice is simple: Reflector Gunsight, Lightweight Wing Frame and Engine Boost Mixture Injection System.

The only thing to consider is the gun upgrades: I run Reinforced Bolt Carriers on my A-5 but I'm experimenting with Gas Operated Action for my A-1. A case could also be made for Long Gun Barrels but I think that's the weakest upgrade of the lot for the mid tier Focke Wulfs.

The choice of engine boost over engine uprate is simple for me: I get to take advantage of the Focke Wulf's large boost pool and play with it in a way I cannot with the tiny boost pools of the light fighters. The engine boost % bonus results in higher maximums and superior acceleration improvements compared to engine uprate and the boost consumable means I can recover that boost faster and more consistently than before so I didn't see an issue with cranking the thing up especially since a Focke Wulf can actually accelerate straight up while boosting with the Ultimate Engine Boost Mixture Injection upgrade.

SpiritFoxMY #16 Posted 20 July 2018 - 02:06 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3141 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
Also keep in mind Uprated Engine is not Engine Tuning even if they share the same icon. Uprated Engine gives you bonuses to Cruise Speed, NOT an increase in thrust like Engine Tuning did so it means you're faster without boost but your acceleration and theoretical maximum under boost stays the same unlike Engine Tuning which affected both cruise and boost speed.

wylleEcoyote #17 Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:51 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2180 battles
  • [ALAS] ALAS
good to know.

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 20 July 2018 - 02:06 AM, said:

Also keep in mind Uprated Engine is not Engine Tuning even if they share the same icon. Uprated Engine gives you bonuses to Cruise Speed, NOT an increase in thrust like Engine Tuning did so it means you're faster without boost but your acceleration and theoretical maximum under boost stays the same unlike Engine Tuning which affected both cruise and boost speed.

Then what is that Uprated Engine Acceleration bonus supposed to be about? I am confused.

SpiritFoxMY #18 Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:01 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3141 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostwylleEcoyote, on 20 July 2018 - 12:51 PM, said:

good to know.

Then what is that Uprated Engine Acceleration bonus supposed to be about? I am confused.

Uprated Engine increases your unboosted acceleration. From a practical standpoint it (probably) means you'll maintain speed better in a turn and recover your energy faster without your boost. Boost will still accelerate you faster but when you don't have any of it, your plane should get back to cruising speed sooner

I basically see it as a TnB upgrade and use it on my light fighters or planes where I'll be holding a lot of turns

Edited by SpiritFoxMY, 20 July 2018 - 05:03 AM.

f16falcona46 #19 Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:51 AM

Master Sergeant

• 2673 battles
  • [F4F] F4F
Dmcern suggested the cruise speed build and I'm finding it really helpful, i.e., stacking everything for cruise speed.

SpiritFoxMY #20 Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:45 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3141 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
I dunno. The 190's maneuverability is bad enough without penalizing it further. I'm not a fan of Polished Skin for this reason.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users