The P-51H: I love this freakin' plane!

P-51H

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

NovaTempest #1 Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:04 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1302 battles

I thought that the P-51H wasnt going to be as fun as the P-51D once I moved up to my 3rd T8 In this game...

Holy sh*t, was I wrong...

Even with stock engine, the machine guns will chew through planes in the blink of an eye if they all connect, and my lord is it amazing at chasing heavy fighters. I realize now how I probably should have played the P-51A and D.

If you are someone unsure about the mustangs, here is evidence they are worth it in the end.

With my build as it sits, not only will this plane be able to keep up with heavy fighters for the most part, it can also ever so slightly out turn German fighters like the Me 209 A, its heat buildup is amazing for its top guns. While it is supposed to be a high altitude fighter, i dive down on GAAs to knock them out before coming right back up to deal with anything high in the sky, or go to mid-altitude to deal with anything the plane's turn circle can handle.

What I love most about my build is I can get the jump on Spits very easily, and stay on their tail long enough to take them out.

Overall, I am extremely satisfied with my P-51H, i'm growing excited to see how much better the FJ-1 Fury is in practice with the build I have set up... And possibly the Sabre after that... :playing:

Reitousair #2 Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:18 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5912 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

Yeah P-51H, pretty good aircraft just like the P-51D when I used it. P-51A was a little ehhh.... good plane but firepower was really pushing the boundary between 'good' and 'garbage.'

Don't worry though, the FJ-1 is the P-51H, but better.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

NovaTempest #3 Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:23 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1302 battles

View PostReitousair, on 19 April 2018 - 07:18 PM, said:

Yeah P-51H, pretty good aircraft just like the P-51D when I used it. P-51A was a little ehhh.... good plane but firepower was really pushing the boundary between 'good' and 'garbage.'

Don't worry though, the FJ-1 is the P-51H, but better.

Can't wait. I'm having a blast with the H. :D

LeastWeasel #4 Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:30 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 748 battles
Oh, this makes me want to go back up the mustang tree..... nice! I like hearing that it’s working out in 2.0.

Blucraft #5 Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:16 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1351 battles

I really wish we could customize the emblems...I'd call mine "Buzz Saw" :great:.

-Blu

Spyshadow01 #6 Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:18 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1355 battles

View PostNovaTempest, on 19 April 2018 - 01:04 PM, said:

Overall, I am extremely satisfied with my P-51H, i'm growing excited to see how much better the FJ-1 Fury is in practice with the build I have set up... And possibly the Sabre after that... :playing:

I think the P-51 line gets an unfairly bad rep in general.  I'm glad to see you're liking them.  The FJ-1 was fun, though among the tier 9 aircraft I've flown I ended up liking the attacker a little better.  I've only done one battle in the Sabre so far, but I greatly enjoyed it.  Your setup is very similar to my own when I played the P-51H/FJ-1, though I've focused more heavily on maneuverability now that I'm on the Sabre.  If nothing else, it's a very good looking plane.

NovaTempest #7 Posted 20 April 2018 - 01:14 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1302 battles

View PostBlucraft, on 19 April 2018 - 08:16 PM, said:

I really wish we could customize the emblems...I'd call mine "Buzz Saw" :great:.

-Blu

I'm not sure what I'd call mine... anything from "Screamin' Eagle" to "Hellrider" to "Sargent Slaughter" to a favorite of mine from another game: "Flak Pole"... list could go on.

ArrowZ_ #8 Posted 20 April 2018 - 01:43 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 947 battles

It's a good Tier 8 LF. Not sure where all the disappointment is coming from with the mustang line. The MGs are lacking at higher tiers but the H model is fast, got the altitude to stay high and chase bombers/heavies. It can turn relatively well too under certain circumstances and does well in vertical energy fights. Took mine out for a few flights during attrition and it did fine in all altitude ranges. Held its own down low, shredded stuff up high. Kept its speed at high altitudes with engine tuning/ guru skills equipped. This thing becomes "supercharged" when you spec it right.

The P-51H is easily misunderstood it seems. Just like the P-51D.

Edited by ArrowZ_, 20 April 2018 - 01:44 AM.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

WOWP 2.0 Videos Playlist

Bobby_Tables #9 Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:09 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2937 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

I love it as well. 

The next two planes in the Mustang line are pretty spiffy and worth the grind.  I like the FJ-1 and the F-86 was the whole reason I started playing this game in the first place.  Took me forever to get it, but I still love taking that thing for a spin, just wish there were more humans at that level.  

I will be waiting for you when you get there.  :playing:

NovaTempest #10 Posted 20 April 2018 - 09:53 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1302 battles

View PostBobby_Tables, on 20 April 2018 - 03:09 AM, said:

I love it as well. 

The next two planes in the Mustang line are pretty spiffy and worth the grind.  I like the FJ-1 and the F-86 was the whole reason I started playing this game in the first place.  Took me forever to get it, but I still love taking that thing for a spin, just wish there were more humans at that level.  

I will be waiting for you when you get there.  :playing:

Funny thing is you probably will see me around now, I may be at the P-51H but I already have the HG II, and my newest (and most beloved) high tier aircraft, a Yak-19.

Cross your fingers im not on a roll when we cross paths... :playing:

WhoaBlackBetty #11 Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:11 AM

Senior Airman

• 37 battles
Indeed it must be a great plane, as now it can fly low and survive anti aircraft guns, IL rear gunners, and all kinds of things that would have exploded it in previous editions of this screwed up game.

Reitousair #12 Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:42 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5912 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostWhoaBlackBetty, on 23 April 2018 - 09:11 PM, said:

Indeed it must be a great plane, as now it can fly low and survive anti aircraft guns, IL rear gunners, and all kinds of things that would have exploded it in previous editions of this screwed up game.

Uhh... the P-51H still suffers from low-altitude AA, nothing can survive the 600DPS killzones when they get radar-lock on you. IL rear gunners? What? I mean if the pilot is smart sure but it can't survive sitting behind the gunner of an IL-20 for very long, especially if the IL-20 pilot has a 6-point gunner. I still recall the P-51's way back in pre-1.5, they were still able to take a bit of a beating but they weren't GA levels of durable. I'm not entirely sure if you've properly gotten an idea of how 2.0 plays...

View PostNovaTempest, on 20 April 2018 - 01:53 PM, said:

Funny thing is you probably will see me around now, I may be at the P-51H but I already have the HG II, and my newest (and most beloved) high tier aircraft, a Yak-19.

Mmm... progress is progress! Just be weary that tier 9/10 bots can be brutal if you aren't careful.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

NovaTempest #13 Posted 25 April 2018 - 05:56 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1302 battles

View PostReitousair, on 24 April 2018 - 10:42 PM, said:

Mmm... progress is progress! Just be weary that tier 9/10 bots can be brutal if you aren't careful.

I learned that the hard way with the HG II, and took that lesson to the Yak-19 when I first obtained it. I have had a blast with it. Though this is always a good reminder.

hoom #14 Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:25 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3538 battles

Have just moved up to this from The D, stock its impressively fast, lacking firepower due to only 4 MGs (which I didn't actually realise until after I got the airframe upgrade lol), really funny looking stock with super huge cockpit bubble, shrunk down more normal looking in the upgrade though.

Feels a little more agile than The D which is nice, if its this quick stock its gonna be real impressive fully upgraded.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

hoom #15 Posted 09 June 2018 - 08:15 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3538 battles

Fully upgraded now.

Its a little less quick than I kinda felt it would be from the stock performance, about 850km/h full boost which is not sluggish for sure but somehow feels less than I'd expected.

Does have 'good enough' agility, but the guns do feel pretty lacking.

I'm finding in these higher tiers you get much more of those split second periods where you have a shot on a low health enemy with a big gap to next time you're on target (vs P-40 where I loved the MGs), cannons can give that big enough burst of damage to score the kill but the MGs really don't.

Kinda weird looking too, the upgraded airframe is better looking than stock but still not really quite right.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

Also tagged with P-51H

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users