Map-Related Questions For the Community

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Map Layouts (40 members have cast votes)

How many sectors do you like on the map?

1. 3 (3 votes [7.50%])

Percentage of vote: 7.50%

2. 4 (3 votes [7.50%])

Percentage of vote: 7.50%

3. 5 (25 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

4. No preference. They are all fine (9 votes [22.50%])

Percentage of vote: 22.50%

Which type of Sector Do you believe is the most powerful?

1. Garrison (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Airstrip (no repairs and no reduced re-spawn timer) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Airfield (repairs and reduced re spawn timer is available) (4 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

4. Command Center (15 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

5. Industrial Complex (factory) (10 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

6. Missile Base (11 votes [27.50%])

Percentage of vote: 27.50%

How many 'Unique' sectors do you prefer in 5 sector layouts? (unique being anything other than garrisons)

1. 1 (6 votes [15.00%])

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

2. 2 (14 votes [35.00%])

Percentage of vote: 35.00%

3. 3 (7 votes [17.50%])

Percentage of vote: 17.50%

4. 4 (2 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

5. 5 (1 vote [2.50%])

Percentage of vote: 2.50%

6. no preference (10 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Do you like asymmetric layouts?

1. Yes (13 votes [32.50%])

Percentage of vote: 32.50%

2. No (27 votes [67.50%])

Percentage of vote: 67.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

SgtSchlautter #1 Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:28 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3354 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR
Just a few questions about the maps. I will refrain from stating my preferences and opinions in this thread as I do not wish to sway your opinions

mnbv_fockewulfe #2 Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:42 AM

First Lieutenant

• 247 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
Where's the option for no sectors. 

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

LMG #3 Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:35 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1668 battles

Just a quick fyi; Mining Facility vs Command Center never seems to work. It didn't when bots chased bombers all-game-long, it doesn't now that they ignore them. It's even more painful when the bombers spawn with the shortest route possible, making it almost impossible to defend on time, let alone get the CCs

Edited by LMG, 19 April 2018 - 06:35 AM.

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

SlappedbyRommel #4 Posted 19 April 2018 - 04:48 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1354 battles
  • [JG52] JG52
You may want to add one more section - Position of Objectives since one map may have a control center right beside a spawn so the opposition has an advantage very quickly if you are positioned across the other end of the map and need to fly through 2 objectives to get there - don't remember map name sorry.

NovaTempest #5 Posted 19 April 2018 - 05:40 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1302 battles

View PostLMG, on 19 April 2018 - 06:35 AM, said:

Just a quick fyi; Mining Facility vs Command Center never seems to work. It didn't when bots chased bombers all-game-long, it doesn't now that they ignore them. It's even more painful when the bombers spawn with the shortest route possible, making it almost impossible to defend on time, let alone get the CCs

^ This. Also two of the four Albion map layouts are absolutely biased to one side, and should be removed IMO.

Reitousair #6 Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:14 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5912 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

Mmm, asymmetrical maps, I may not hold many preferences when it comes to where I fight but asymmetrical maps are certainly something I don't like.

Especially Albion - Trump Card; that map is Plateau - Shock Wave Collision (yes, they added it back in under a different name) multiplied by two. They took arguably the worst map in the game when 2.0 released, and made it even worse, along with adding the original back in under a different name. Let alone all the other asymmetrical maps which prove horrendously balanced most of the time. Maybe with full teams of players they'll work out?

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

SonicPariah #7 Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:09 PM

Community Manager

• Administrator
  • 416 battles
  • [WGATX] WGATX
Interesting. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

NorthernPorter #8 Posted 20 April 2018 - 02:48 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha Test Veteran
  • 1500 battles
I don't know, maybe I just have a twisted view of it but I see those asymmetrical maps not as poorly balanced but as an increased difficulty. Yeah they can be harder to win depending on which side you start on, but it can still be winnable. If anything, I think WG should make it that those types of maps give an increase credit/exp payout to the team on the disadvantaged side of the map win or lose.

CorvusCorvax #9 Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1329 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostNorthernPorter, on 20 April 2018 - 02:48 PM, said:

I don't know, maybe I just have a twisted view of it but I see those asymmetrical maps not as poorly balanced but as an increased difficulty. Yeah they can be harder to win depending on which side you start on, but it can still be winnable. If anything, I think WG should make it that those types of maps give an increase credit/exp payout to the team on the disadvantaged side of the map win or lose.

That's a great idea.

On some of those maps, I have, in the past, pretty much resigned myself to a loss, so used the time for ACM practice, or playing with the capabilities of the machine I'm running for that map.  Maybe with the possibility of a large XP payday, I'd work harder to win.

Edited by Rico_CotC_, 20 April 2018 - 11:06 PM.

SpiritFoxMY #10 Posted 21 April 2018 - 01:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2170 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

I played Trump Card with trikke last night on the Factory side. We agreed early on to make a play for the closest command center on the lower right of the map since we were both in fighters (Freidriech and A-5). When we got there, the enemy team still hadn't captured their first command center so I vacillated a bit before deciding to continue our play on the uncontested CC rather than try and screw with the other CC. The enemy team captured it soon after but by that time we'd cleared up the ADFs on the CC we were contesting and spent the next few minutes baiting enemy fighters into the CC cap circle to fully cap it. We succeeded and captured that CC.

We still only had one cap point though as the airfield had been captured by Red team early on but we decided to make a play for the second CC, making the assumption that there might still be Bot players lingering we could kill for a quick flip. There weren't, but as soon as we started working over the ADFs, a couple of them drifted back and trikke nailed them for the cap while I went up and sorted out the two bomber waves that were heading to our CC.

From that point on it was child's play. Just hang on to the CCs, and let the bombers do the rest. The Factories were only mildly contested and our bots captured one with only a short intervention from us. The enemy team's human players...were so obsessed with the airfield early on that they failed to contest the CCs until it was far far far too late.

Moral of the story: asymmetric maps can totally be won if the side with the advantage does something completely boneheaded and throws away that advantage in the first few minutes of the game. (what is it with a certain breed of human player that gets as distracted as the bots by the sight of an airfield?) 

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

trikke #11 Posted 21 April 2018 - 03:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2021 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 20 April 2018 - 08:27 PM, said:

I played Trump Card with trikke last night on the Factory side. We agreed early on to make a play for the closest command center on the lower right of the map since we were both in fighters (Freidriech and A-5). When we got there, the enemy team still hadn't captured their first command center so I vacillated a bit before deciding to continue our play on the uncontested CC rather than try and screw with the other CC. The enemy team captured it soon after but by that time we'd cleared up the ADFs on the CC we were contesting and spent the next few minutes baiting enemy fighters into the CC cap circle to fully cap it. We succeeded and captured that CC.

We still only had one cap point though as the airfield had been captured by Red team early on but we decided to make a play for the second CC, making the assumption that there might still be Bot players lingering we could kill for a quick flip. There weren't, but as soon as we started working over the ADFs, a couple of them drifted back and trikke nailed them for the cap while I went up and sorted out the two bomber waves that were heading to our CC.

From that point on it was child's play. Just hang on to the CCs, and let the bombers do the rest. The Factories were only mildly contested and our bots captured one with only a short intervention from us. The enemy team's human players...were so obsessed with the airfield early on that they failed to contest the CCs until it was far far far too late.

Moral of the story: asymmetric maps can totally be won if the side with the advantage does something completely boneheaded and throws away that advantage in the first few minutes of the game. (what is it with a certain breed of human player that gets as distracted as the bots by the sight of an airfield?) 

wow, look at all the smart "strategery" things that he was thinking about while we were fighting

i was just following him around and looking at the pretty scenery 

D knows full well that  "I"  am that certain breed that gets distracted by airfields 

i need that reduced respawn timer and repair facility like a mouse needs cheese

but we did win, soooo.......   

this poll is both appreciated by us, ty... and needed by the devs, i hope

edit:  i'd love to see a high tier map that has maybe ten garrisons on it, as a lark...  and then we could just completely ignore them all and just DM to the last man!

Edited by trikke, 21 April 2018 - 03:17 PM.

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

SpiritFoxMY #12 Posted 21 April 2018 - 03:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2170 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Posttrikke, on 21 April 2018 - 03:03 PM, said:

wow, look at all the smart "strategery" things that he was thinking about while we were fighting

i was just following him around and looking at the pretty scenery 

D knows full well that  "I"  am that certain breed that gets distracted by airfields 

i need that reduced respawn timer and repair facility like a mouse needs cheese

but we did win, soooo.......   

this poll is both appreciated by us, ty... and needed by the devs, i hope

edit:  i'd love to see a high tier map that has maybe ten garrisons on it, as a lark...  and then we could just completely ignore them all and just DM to the last man!

Never noticed that tendency :P You seem to have your target priorities a lot straighter than most. And you helped keep my tail clear XD 

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

SgtSchlautter #13 Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:56 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3354 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

Thanks everyone who participated in this poll. The results are quite interesting, but exactly what I had expected. 

1. I predicted that the majority of the community would choose the 5 sector layout as being the best. I too like the 5 sector layouts the most. 3 sectors often end in superiority games from my experience and 4 sector layouts often get locked with each team only having 2 sectors. The 5 sector layout truly does feel the best. 2/3 of the votes preferred 5 sector layouts and another 25% had no preference. This lead to only 11% of the community definitively liking layouts other than the 5 sector layouts. I would love to see the 3 and 4 sector layouts leave as they just are not very fun and many are just simply imbalanced.  

2. The sector the community believed was the most popular is actually split almost evenly between the Industrial complex, the Missile Base, and the Command Center. I too can definitely agree with this as often each sector can be more important than another depending on the layout. There is no truly dominant sector in which failure to take it results in a loss. Often times there can be several game-winning strategies on a map layout.

3. In 5 sector layouts, the majority of the community preferred 1, 2, or 3 unique sectors in the battle with the rest being filled with garrisons. When there is only 1 unique sector on a 5 sector map, it places too much power on that single sector, whatever that sector may be. Too many unique sectors on a 5 sector map also seems too chaotic and not super enjoyable. Therefore, the community preferred 2-3 unique sectors on a 5 sector map. That being said, an airfield as the center objective on a 5 sector layout with all the rest being garrisons is rather fun for farming high scores. :)

4. 66% of the community preferred symmetrical maps to asymmetrical maps. This was actually a fair bit closer than I thought it was going to be. I hear so many complain about asymmetrical maps that I thought it would be closer to 75% or higher preferring only symmetrical maps. Asymmetrical maps are often harder to balance than a simple symmetrical map. So the results are not too surprising. However, when an asymmetrical map is balanced properly, they can actually be a fun change of pace. I suppose this is why the results are a little closer than I expected.

Overall, thank you to all who participated in this poll. The results confirmed my suspicions on the community's opinions about the maps.

LMG #14 Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:12 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1668 battles

That does pretty much sum up my take on WoWP map design :bajan:

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

Lambo805 #15 Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:55 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• -Community Ace-
  • 1529 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

My feelings on the mining plant are well known (it should be removed, nerfed hard) but I would say if it wasn't so blatantly broken then the Command Centers are a close second. Bombers flip bases so quickly that if you leave even a couple to get through each time they flip the base. 

I also voted 5 points because of mining plants. Without I'd say 4 is fine, but if the enemy caps the mining base and is intercepting bombers, good luck. You're boned. Those extra sectors almost give you a fighting chance assuming the windows don't taste like snozberries.

Me: "It's not bragging if you can do it!"

My tombstone: He was bragging.

ComradeZ #16 Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:11 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2803 battles
  • [FK] FK
Can we all agree that 'Trump Card' with the uneven points needs to die in a fire too?

Reitousair #17 Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:05 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5912 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostComradeZ, on 16 May 2018 - 07:11 PM, said:

Can we all agree that 'Trump Card' with the uneven points needs to die in a fire too?

Yeah... Albion - Trump Card is awful, most definitely. They took Plateau - ShockwaveCollision and multiplied it by two, so they effectively took what was once the worst map in the game (that got removed for a while mind you and got added back in under a different name) and doubled up the lopsidedness. Even if you're on the southern spawn and take the southern comms, it's still broken and will always attack the northern plant.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users