Mouse Vs Joystick plus a weird thing

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

GonerNL #21 Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:12 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 567 battles

View PostLeastWeasel, on 02 May 2018 - 05:03 PM, said:

Oho, a must for stick is binding your “snap to target” as something handy you can use while manuevering.

Exactly what does 'snap to target' do ??

Also, I notice in Youtube films that mouse users get a better view on the target they are following ?? Wish they implemented that for stick, feels like it gives mouse players an advantage ...

Flying on EU and NA server

LMG #22 Posted 03 May 2018 - 09:49 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1668 battles

View PostGonerNL, on 03 May 2018 - 03:12 AM, said:

Also, I notice in Youtube films that mouse users get a better view on the target they are following ?? Wish they implemented that for stick, feels like it gives mouse players an advantage ...

Snap to target turns the camera around to face whatever your current selected target is. I've been using it a lot lately because my middle mouse button was broken, as it helps figure out where the other guy went

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

LeastWeasel #23 Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:13 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 748 battles

Yeah, I feel like this is a huge part of learning stick - figuring out how to scan the skies. Like LMG said, it flips your view to center on your target. For my HF’s, I get up high and either use “look below” or cycle the “nearest target” button while holding “snap to target” - taking note of plane type, direction of travel, etc. It’s my equivalent to the mouse’s free-look. 

When I’m engaged in a manuevering battle, I’ll often fly while holding snap-to-target, so I can respond to what the opponent’s doing. That can be a little disorienting at times; but it can afford you crucial information that can give you an an edge on an opponent that might have all the advantages, but is essentially just manuevering in relation to their on-screen directiont-to-target indicator. 

The other important function to have on-hand is... I can’t remember the name, but I think it’s “lock most important target”, or something like that. Just as important as locking under your reticle, or locking nearest - it seems like this locks an enemy that is currently firing on you, or tight on your tail. 

You need to make good & regular use of all these, paired with your minimap & ALT-key info, to effectively have your head on a swivel with stick. 

Ah, I’ve been hankering more and more to start making videos, in which I’d address stuff like this... but my frame rate still bombs down to 10-15 in crazy firefights. ☹️ Frustrating that I get better rates on other titles that graphically blow this one out of the water - and it doesn’t seem like lowering settings makes any difference...

LeastWeasel #24 Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:13 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 748 battles

Yeah, I feel like this is a huge part of learning stick - figuring out how to scan the skies. Like LMG said, it flips your view to center on your target. For my HF’s, I get up high and either use “look below” or cycle the “nearest target” button while holding “snap to target” - taking note of plane type, direction of travel, etc. It’s my equivalent to the mouse’s free-look. 

When I’m engaged in a manuevering battle, I’ll often fly while holding snap-to-target, so I can respond to what the opponent’s doing. That can be a little disorienting at times; but it can afford you crucial information that can give you an an edge on an opponent that might have all the advantages, but is essentially just manuevering in relation to their on-screen directiont-to-target indicator. 

The other important function to have on-hand is... I can’t remember the name, but I think it’s “lock most important target”, or something like that. Just as important as locking under your reticle, or locking nearest - it seems like this locks an enemy that is currently firing on you, or tight on your tail. 

You need to make good & regular use of all these, paired with your minimap & ALT-key info, to effectively have your head on a swivel with stick. 

Ah, I’ve been hankering more and more to start making videos, in which I’d address stuff like this... but my frame rate still bombs down to 10-15 in crazy firefights. ☹️ Frustrating that I get better rates on other titles that graphically blow this one out of the water - and it doesn’t seem like lowering settings makes any difference...

GonerNL #25 Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:41 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 567 battles

Many thanks to LMG and LeastWeasel ! And ArrowZ_ on Reddit ; I noticed him using it in his Youtube reviews.

I put 'snap to target' on a joystick button and am trying it out ; should help to improve my situational awareness  :great:

Flying on EU and NA server

trikke #26 Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2029 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

i'm always shocked when i press 'snap to nearest enemy' 

i see a red plane that i had no idea how it had gotten so close to me

i usually fly in 'alt interface' mode so that i can see what class of plane is in which area of the map

and i can see numeric distances of planes on both teams, which tells me something important, i think

but other better pilots do not use alt-int at all, so...

(i'd love to find a mod that flashes between the two ints, maybe half a second apart?)

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

MacDaddyMatty #27 Posted 04 May 2018 - 02:49 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 443 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

I play all my video games on a Steam Controller with my feet up on my sofa and a big screen TV.

LOVE IT!

▌▌ clanDDAY.com  ▌▌

A bunch of WoT players who occasionally get shot up by bots in WoWP:

▌▌  WoWP Clan   ▌▌

YagabodooN #28 Posted 05 May 2018 - 12:07 AM

Master Sergeant

• 1773 battles

I used to use a stick but then I tried mouse one day and never looked back.  Its so much easier to look around your surroundings and target specific parts of an enemy.  Plus you don't have to lug the whole stick and throttle lever onto your desk every time you just wanna play a battle or two. 

Its not like this is a sim either, always did feel funny flying stick in a 3rd person view. 

Bobby_Tables #29 Posted 05 May 2018 - 03:52 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2947 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

This is a good conversation and some really nice tips in here.  I tend to just "set it and forget it" and live with what I have.  Of course, with the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, after a few years buttons stop working and you have to reassign or buy a new one.  I forgot about the whole "snap to" thing because when we had the little window in 1.x it was, IMO a LOT more useful.  I will give it a try by reassigning some of my buttons.  

Overall, this thread really got me thinking.  When 2.0 first launched, I used my mouse for a few games and liked how it worked, but I went back to the dizzying world of the joystick soon after.  I always have a gaming mouse so this thread is making me think of going back to noob land and trying this with a mouse.   We'll see.  I still say that at T8+ the gaming experience with a joystick is far far superior.  

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users