Mouse Vs Joystick plus a weird thing

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

SlappedbyRommel #1 Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:14 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1382 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

Ok this is driving me crazy I used both the mouse and joystick in this game and results a fairly close but clan members are telling me the mouse is the way to go? Is the mouse better? The reason I ask I was using my joystick with the KI84 and I was out turned by a me109 and spitfire - my speed was optimal but how much does pilot rating change it I have heard many things on that subject but the plane should out turn those 2 planes.

Second thing has any one else experienced when you are turning again at optimal speed the controls on the joystick are gone you can not bank or fly and the plane drops out of the sky - this happens close to the ground mostly 10 meters or so. I have crashed many times because of this and are there any settings to be aware of I use the T16000 thrustmaster.

Thanks for any help in advance.

pyantoryng #2 Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:22 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1494 battles

I don't think a total of 670 battles mean a good grasp of what your preference is...how about giving them some more time?

I only have experience with mouse though. I don't want to lug a stick when I move around just for one game, after all...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

SonicPariah #3 Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:38 PM

Community Manager

• Administrator
  • 418 battles
  • [WGATX] WGATX

Stick was my preference for many many years!

That being said, unless you max the sensitivity, mouse is going to give you a tighter radius for turns and sharper reaction times.

The_Wild_Weasel #4 Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:41 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1643 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostSonicPariah, on 16 April 2018 - 11:38 AM, said:

mouse is going to give you a tighter radius for turns and sharper reaction times.

^ this  ;) 

CorvusCorvax #5 Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:24 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1329 battles
  • [JG52] JG52
Having used both, I abandoned my preferred flight controls to use the mouse, because I got better results with the mouse.   I always imagined that my turns were tighter using a mouse and keyboard, but I couldn't prove it.

Dru83 #6 Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:17 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2062 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

A spit can turn with the Ki-84, especially if he's using flaps and undercutting your turn with a Low Yo-yo maneuver. So, if you make one little mistake, he'll get around you. I find it surprising that a 109 out turned you, as they generally do better in the vertical. If you're doing loops a 109 will get you every time, but not in a turn against a Ki-84, something's weird there.

Is it possible to bind a keyboard key to pitch up with a joystick, the way you can when using the mouse? With the mouse it's hard to tell if I'm pulling back as hard as I can, so I use X bound to pitch up to pull harder than I could with the mouse.

ExploratorOne #7 Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:13 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1643 battles
  • [LOU1] LOU1

View PostSonicPariah, on 16 April 2018 - 11:38 AM, said:

That being said, unless you max the sensitivity, mouse is going to give you a tighter radius for turns and sharper reaction times.

Interesting, hadn't heard or thought about this being an issue.  I use a joystick because I feel more like I am flying a ship.  Will have to look at my setting when I get home.  Could improve dogfighting in the A-26B. :)

PostTraumatic #8 Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:38 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1401 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN

Joystick has far better control characteristics and you can fine tune your throttle control to get on someones tail and stay there with easy without over-running them.  Flaps control included makes the stick superior.  Get a joystick sooner rather than later.  just my opinion.

Edited by PostTraumatic, 16 April 2018 - 09:39 PM.

ComradeZ #9 Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:10 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2829 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostSonicPariah, on 16 April 2018 - 04:38 PM, said:

^^ What he said. 

I turn both sliders to zero in advanced controls.  No auto yaw or auto return to flat.  Allows me to use my mouse with finer movements for aiming and flyin.

Yawing is 100% easier with mouse with a 0/0 slider config than it is with a stick with the 'twist' option or buying pedals. Makes ground attack and bombing much easier when your damn plane does not spin left or right when you want to do a bankless turn. As for throttle, so few people play with a stick that 'keeping up with them' is as simple as pressing forward a few times (like they are doing) and not needing a say..75% Throttle the entire time. It's not like how it's set like WT or a Sim.

Tried with a stick for 2 months and lost too many times, also inconvenient to have a joystick in your lap or have to buy a chair/table to keep the damn thing handy! 

This arcade game is built on mouse.   Want stick, play IL-2 or Elite, that's all my stick is good for.

Edited by ComradeZ, 16 April 2018 - 11:11 PM.

wscarter007 #10 Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:18 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3767 battles
  • [JG52] JG52
In the past I've always used a stick for flight Sims.  After being away from so long apon coming back I tried the joystick had a rough time.  I read this game is set up to use the mouse, tried it and promptly put my joy back in the closet. 

Poncho_JG26 #11 Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:18 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1091 battles
  • [JG26] JG26
You can fly with a mouse? :amazed:

Doc_Ebs #12 Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:43 AM

Master Sergeant

• 1028 battles
  • [FPOA] FPOA

View PostPoncho_JG26, on 17 April 2018 - 02:18 AM, said:

Sure keep it in your pocket or in a small container

mnbv_fockewulfe #13 Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:49 AM

First Lieutenant

• 247 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostPoncho_JG26, on 17 April 2018 - 02:18 AM, said:

You can't "really" atm.

In 1.9 there was a way to configure your mouse so it provided superior aiming and turning.

This mouse configuration I discovered had been known on the Russian forum for a while. However my dabbling had been too late and the in-depth mouse configuring options had been removed for 2.0 (the extra options and still "accessible" but I have not been able to figure it out without a standard interface).

As it is now, the camera makes it uncomfortable for me to aim with joystick. It feels like I'm aiming a floating reticle instead of flying aiming the nose of my plane. Still, joystick is better for sustained aim (MGs) and mouse is better for low firerate weapons (point and delete Ta 152).

Still, with the forced use of CSP the game feels like fly by wire controls instead of the "uncontrollability" of real planes. A real WW II warbird, you either have to have some really good trim or your hand on the stick all the time to keep the plane level.

If you are a mouse player, I would suggest using this mod to improve your plane controllability experience.   

http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/52596-remove-mouse-camera-bending-mod/

p.s. better mouse turning is a myth.

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

ComradeZ #14 Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:34 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2829 battles
  • [FK] FK

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 17 April 2018 - 02:49 AM, said:

You can't "really" atm.

In 1.9 there was a way to configure your mouse so it provided superior aiming and turning.

This mouse configuration I discovered had been known on the Russian forum for a while. However my dabbling had been too late and the in-depth mouse configuring options had been removed for 2.0 (the extra options and still "accessible" but I have not been able to figure it out without a standard interface).

As it is now, the camera makes it uncomfortable for me to aim with joystick. It feels like I'm aiming a floating reticle instead of flying aiming the nose of my plane. Still, joystick is better for sustained aim (MGs) and mouse is better for low firerate weapons (point and delete Ta 152).

Still, with the forced use of CSP the game feels like fly by wire controls instead of the "uncontrollability" of real planes. A real WW II warbird, you either have to have some really good trim or your hand on the stick all the time to keep the plane level.

If you are a mouse player, I would suggest using this mod to improve your plane controllability experience.   

http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/52596-remove-mouse-camera-bending-mod/

p.s. better mouse turning is a myth.

Just installed that. Needed to make two extra folders. Honestly in layman's terms what the hell am I looking at as far as a change from the stock experience? It just feels snappier?

OldMagnetButt #15 Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:47 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 812 battles
There is a video on UselessTube by No Zoup for You that should answer your question on which is best. He explains why in the vid.

Bobby_Tables #16 Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:08 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2974 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

I dunno.

I just use a joystick because after getting used to the on-screen vertigo, it seemed so cool.

When you do T9/10 jets, joystick just reminds me of shows like Dogfights (?) on History Channel.  I do have issues with many aspects of this game, but at T9 and T10, I gotta say, it plays a lot more like a Korean War sweat inducing live or die, ultimate dogfight video. I don't think most players like that environment, but a rare few do.

Other than that, mouse is probably better but less fun.  

GonerNL #17 Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:56 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 567 battles

View PostSlappedbyRommel, on 16 April 2018 - 04:14 PM, said:

this happens close to the ground

I've also experienced that, sometimes when close to the ground it looks as if I'm being pulled down by a magnet. At first I thought I just had too much speed and couldn't pull up but even when going slow and using flaps I'm just pulled into mother Earth ..

Also using joystick, flying with a mouse just doesn't feel right.

Being out-turned by planes that shouldn't be able to do that could also be caused by altitude ... I tried to fight Spits at 1800 meter in a Yak-1 or 3, not a good idea !! Stay low and fight at 800 where you turn better.

Flying on EU and NA server

SlappedbyRommel #18 Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:36 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1382 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostGonerNL, on 17 April 2018 - 01:56 PM, said:

I've also experienced that, sometimes when close to the ground it looks as if I'm being pulled down by a magnet. At first I thought I just had too much speed and couldn't pull up but even when going slow and using flaps I'm just pulled into mother Earth ..

Also using joystick, flying with a mouse just doesn't feel right.

Being out-turned by planes that shouldn't be able to do that could also be caused by altitude ... I tried to fight Spits at 1800 meter in a Yak-1 or 3, not a good idea !! Stay low and fight at 800 where you turn better.

An update on my mouse training and the circus one in my pocket.  I see now I have a better turn radius and am able to keep a visible target just waiting for the cross hair to line up to the target faster than the joystick.

Also experienced the drop like a magnet with the joystick no longer have it using the moose so there is a dead spot in the use of the joystick I think when 10 meters off the ground at times maybe the physics is wonky I don't know even when I had tried to configure the stick to eliminate this issue.

Starting at Tier 2 and working my way back up was the way to relearn the mouse use and it can be fun at the same time. I have noticed the mouse at T8 and above gets a bit hairy need more time to play and test.

I do recommend the mouse now in this game even if I like using my stick - get those thoughts out of your heads please.

LeastWeasel #19 Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:03 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 748 battles
I experience the classic problem - aiming is better with mouse, manuevering is better with stick. I really need to take the time to look in to my joystick settings to ameliorate the aim issue as much as possible.

Oho, a must for stick is binding your “snap to target” as something handy you can use while manuevering. Not mentioned much, but using the mouse can make it easier for situational awareness. I generally bind the four hat directions to look up/down/back and snap to target... knowing how to cycle locks & looks is key for stick if you’re running a HF.

CorvusCorvax #20 Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1329 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostLeastWeasel, on 02 May 2018 - 05:03 PM, said:

I experience the classic problem - aiming is better with mouse, manuevering is better with stick. I really need to take the time to look in to my joystick settings to ameliorate the aim issue as much as possible.

Oho, a must for stick is binding your “snap to target” as something handy you can use while manuevering. Not mentioned much, but using the mouse can make it easier for situational awareness. I generally bind the four hat directions to look up/down/back and snap to target... knowing how to cycle locks & looks is key for stick if you’re running a HF.

In a furball, knowing where to look is key.  Even running a light fighter.

I am grinding the Yak line, and the Yak-1 is a superlative turner, but if you don't keep your head on a swivel, you'll become a superlative fireball at the end of someone's stream of bullets.

Your advice is spot-on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users