Pro P-40 Warhawk flyers, how are you setting up your pilot/plane these days?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Bad_Wulf #1 Posted 14 April 2018 - 01:04 PM

Senior Airman

• 2378 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-
Question in the title.

hoom #2 Posted 14 April 2018 - 02:28 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3957 battles

Well I sold mine a while back but IIRC it was Polish, Engine Tuning & Lightweight Airframe for the plane, both Engine Gurus & Aerodynamics Expert for the pilot.

Had only one Engine Guru & Marksman I for a while (or was it both Engine Guru, no Aerodynamics Expert?), can't actually remember which I preferred.

Edited by hoom, 14 April 2018 - 02:29 PM.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

SpiritFoxMY #3 Posted 14 April 2018 - 02:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3032 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

Plane: Engine Tuning, Lightweight Airframe, Control Surface Adjustment,

Pilot: Aerodynamics Expert, Aerobatics Expert, Marksman I

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Bad_Wulf #4 Posted 14 April 2018 - 04:55 PM

Senior Airman

• 2378 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

Interesting, so you both emphasize improving maneuver, then guns, then more speed?   Glad I asked, I was going the other way to "min/max", Even more speed (get the 50s in range,), then guns (get them on target), Then agility (only try to stick behind HFs, otherwise try to zoom out).

Thanks, I'll respec and go more TnB I guess. Appreciate it.

Follow up 1: Spec Mustangs the same?

Follow Up 2: I assume you don't hesitate to get in low with the Spitfires and Zeros, correct?

Edited by Bad_Wulf, 14 April 2018 - 05:00 PM.

SpiritFoxMY #5 Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3032 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

1. I have two pilot specs on my Mustangs - the in-tree P-51A inherited my P-40 pilot so his skills are the same. My P-51K pilot ditched Marksman I in favor of Engine Guru I and I'm perfectly fine with that.

2. I don't hesitate to get in low, but I always keep my speed up and have at least 3 seconds of boost going in so I can zoom out ASAP.  

The focus on maneuverability is to keep the guns on target as long as possible and less for actually trying to outmaneuver someone. The goal is to conserve as much energy in my turns as possible while keeping my guns on them as long as possible given the American focus on DPS over Alpha and their mediocre maneuverability at low speeds.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Wombatmetal #6 Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:44 PM

• 1044 battles
  • [H_PUN] H_PUN

I would do Gun sights, Engine Tuning, and Polish for the plane and Engine Guru 1&2 for the pilot skills. 

You can make it turn better but you cannot make it turn better enough to be competitive in a turn fight, so I would double down on speed.  

hoom #7 Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:49 PM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3957 battles

My emphasis was speed first, agility 2nd, gun accuracy 3rd.

But I didn't really try to BnZ, agility is ample to beat up on defense bots & mixing in furballs where there is a good chance things get shot off your tail.

Definitely couldn't expect to beat a Spit/Zero 1v1 unless you score a wing/tail crit on first pass, for them you switch to BnZ.

For Mustangs I started with same build & didn't enjoy it much, was pointed out you have inherently more speed & less agility so can de-emphasise speed, build for more agility first ie Control Surface Adjustment instead of Polish, Aerobatics Expert on pilot (but he'd been through some other planes first so that didn't really come at expense of other skill), still doesn't have the same feel as P-40 though.

Blucraft #8 Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:30 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1351 battles

This is my current configuration:

P40setup-041418.JPG

I've tried a few and this is currently working for me.

-Blu

Edited by Blucraft, 15 April 2018 - 01:49 AM.

hoom #9 Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:47 AM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3957 battles

From a bumped thread in GD an older post confirming my build when I still had the P-40

Block Quote

both Engine Gurus & Aerodynamics Expert skills, equipment Engine Tuning, Polish & Lightweight Airframe

Was talking about switching out the 2nd Engine Guru for Aerobatics Expert & Marksman I then, in that context I must have respecced for Marksman I in the P-51A when I was struggling for firepower.

That pilot is now on P-51D and just hit 9pt, I may respec for both Engine Guru, Aerodynamics expert & Aerobatics expert. Currently have 3 points in Marksman I & Eagle Eyed.

Edit: tried it 1 battle, like it so far. Returns some of the speed lost by dumping Polish for Control Surfaces & didn't especially notice weakened firepower.

Edited by hoom, 15 April 2018 - 04:04 AM.

ComradeZ #10 Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:12 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3384 battles
  • [FK] FK
So what's the deal with the P-40? I've seen a lot of chatter lately about it. I found the plane unremarkable.

NorthernPorter #11 Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:41 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha Test Veteran
  • 1652 battles

View PostComradeZ, on 16 April 2018 - 04:12 AM, said:

So what's the deal with the P-40? I've seen a lot of chatter lately about it. I found the plane unremarkable.

I really like the P-40 because it has some good speed to it, so I can get to the different bases quick enough. I'm able to climb fast enough to reach an altitude to attack some bombers, heavies, and 109's. And then drop back down to BnZ a low altitude aircraft. It's a very iconic aircraft, and sharp looking in my opinion. Sure it doesn't have cannon's but the 6x 50cals tear up an enemy quick enough. I just kind of feel like its really versitile and allows for a flexible gameplay. I've been able to speed away and out climb the zeros, yaks and some spits. Able out turn the 109's, 190's, and MiG's Those are just my experiences with it and part of why it's my favorite in-game aircraft.

I fly a similar loadout as SpiritFoxMy and it works well for me.

Engine Tuning, Lightweight Airframe, and Control Surface Adjustment for my plane equipment.

Aerodynamics Expert, Aerobatics Expert, & Marksman I as my pilot's skills.

Manual Fire Extinguisher, Pneumatic Restarter, & Control Surface Repair for my consumables. Also shooting universal ammo.

ComradeZ #12 Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:53 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3384 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostNorthernPorter, on 16 April 2018 - 01:41 PM, said:

I really like the P-40 because it has some good speed to it, so I can get to the different bases quick enough. I'm able to climb fast enough to reach an altitude to attack some bombers, heavies, and 109's. And then drop back down to BnZ a low altitude aircraft. It's a very iconic aircraft, and sharp looking in my opinion. Sure it doesn't have cannon's but the 6x 50cals tear up an enemy quick enough. I just kind of feel like its really versitile and allows for a flexible gameplay. I've been able to speed away and out climb the zeros, yaks and some spits. Able out turn the 109's, 190's, and MiG's Those are just my experiences with it and part of why it's my favorite in-game aircraft.

I fly a similar loadout as SpiritFoxMy and it works well for me.

Engine Tuning, Lightweight Airframe, and Control Surface Adjustment for my plane equipment.

Aerodynamics Expert, Aerobatics Expert, & Marksman I as my pilot's skills.

Manual Fire Extinguisher, Pneumatic Restarter, & Control Surface Repair for my consumables. Also shooting universal ammo.

Sorry, lost me at '6x .50s'

I'm a cannoneer, no wonder I find the p-39n1 a blast more than the p40.

hoom #13 Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:15 AM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3957 battles

Block Quote

I really like the P-40 because it has some good speed to it, so I can get to the different bases quick enough. I'm able to climb fast enough to reach an altitude to attack some bombers, heavies, and 109's. And then drop back down to BnZ a low altitude aircraft. It's a very iconic aircraft, and sharp looking in my opinion. Sure it doesn't have cannon's but the 6x 50cals tear up an enemy quick enough. I just kind of feel like its really versitile and allows for a flexible gameplay.

That.

Akirishin #14 Posted 21 April 2018 - 04:37 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2268 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

HI Bad_Wulf,  I hope you get something helpful from my video on this aircraft.

GonerNL #15 Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:56 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 722 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 14 April 2018 - 02:30 PM, said:

Plane: Engine Tuning, Lightweight Airframe, Control Surface Adjustment,

Pilot: Aerodynamics Expert, Aerobatics Expert, Marksman I

That's almost what I'm using on my P-40, Model 81-A and Tomahawk ... but I think i'm using Engine Guru, not Marksman.

Still have to get the Soviet P-40M, different beast as it's altitude is much less then the other three.

Flying on EU and NA server

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users