Does playing lower tiers (I, II, III) make you a better pilot?

seal clubbing Skill lower tiers Opinions

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Psicko23 #41 Posted 14 April 2018 - 04:50 AM

First Lieutenant

• 16 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View PostAnimadversion, on 13 April 2018 - 07:09 PM, said:

You can learn things at lower tiers and try out various airplane classes.  Some people play only at low tiers. Go to the hall of fame and look through the top 10 or 15 players and look at their stats, esp. the planes they play.  There are several that have thousands of games at tier 1 or 2 and that is why their win rates are so high.

If most of your battles are in low tier planes, that's called stat padding. The game has nuances at different tier groupings. The tier groups are low tier(1-3), mid tiers (4-7), and high tiers (8-10). Most of the planes fly more or less the same in 1-2 minus the attack planes and the heavies, but mostly the same. Tier 3 or so the differences between the classes of planes like fighters and multi roles are starting to show as well as a few differences between nations are also starting to show. T4-5 most countries have their distinctions such as bnz and tnb established, or what I like to call identities. Tier 6 and 7 are part of the mid tier play with some premium jet planes starting to show up in t7. T8 is where the jets start showing up in most lines. The speed of the jets combined with powerful guns for the most part equals quick destruction if you aren't paying attention. I agree with the above person, it makes people think that all planes are tnb, which is why you sometimes see people in heavy fighters like a 110b or bnz planes like a 109b trying to out turn a Japanese t4 fighter. I was almost the same way when I first started playing in 1.1 or so. I was trying to turn fight in the ao192 against the biplanes which obviously didn't work. Then I learned about bnz.. the low tiers teach you about low tiers and how to aim and fly the planes, the mid tiers teach you about mid tiers and how to fly in and against different tiers, and high tiers teach you about high tiers and situational awareness even more so than the lower tiers. 

PostTraumatic #42 Posted 14 April 2018 - 04:53 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1421 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN
i play all tiers because i have planes in every tier.  if all players played all tiers then there would be no such concept as seal clubbing.

YagabodooN #43 Posted 14 April 2018 - 06:09 PM

Master Sergeant

• 1775 battles
I keep an HE51 and paint it like an air defense aircraft...I swear it's just for token farming... no really I promise :hiding:

SonicPariah #44 Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:35 PM

Community Manager

• Administrator
  • 427 battles
  • [WGATX] WGATX

View PostPostTraumatic, on 14 April 2018 - 04:53 PM, said:

i play all tiers because i have planes in every tier.  if all players played all tiers then there would be no such concept as seal clubbing.

In this sense, I believe it more refers to the gap of skill between veteran players in Tier I - III Planes versus brand new players on the same servers.

CruzANDBruz #45 Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:16 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 8238 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

I suppose playing lower tiers repetitively would make you a better lower tiers pilot. I'm only up to tier 7, but I haven't flown below tier 3 in quite a while. Tiers one and two are too slow for my tastes after playing 5,6,7. I only have a hand full of airplanes between tiers 6 and 7 though, so I have to drop down and play my tier 3 airplanes on occasion when I'm farming free experience. I believe farming is the biggest reason for playing the lower tiers. Well, that and stat padding.    :)

It's all good. Fly what you enjoy flying.

daNEBish #46 Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:20 AM

Senior Airman

• 415 battles

Well I think each tier brings its own challenges.

I'm certainly not above going down to the lower tiers just to have some fun in my favorite old aircraft.  I think it is fair to say that you'll likely run into more experienced players up the higher tiers just because they've had to go around the block a few times just to get there.  I don't think anyone needs to apologise going to low tiers, it's about enjoying the game how you enjoy it.

On the topic of stats however I do agree that it is a bit pathetic to see people deliberately "stet pedding" at low tiers but again, if that is what they feel is fun and makes them feel big then each to their own.  Stats tell more of the story than just W/R.  An interesting anecdote:  I went down to play a game at tier 1 one day and got my tail plane handed to me by another player.  I was impressed by his skill and decided to take a gander at his statistics.  74% odd W/R nice, 134 hours played total, 129hrs in a tier 1 aircraft - ahhh that explains a lot then lol :P - how many points do you think his pilot had you think?

Fliyntiger #47 Posted 19 June 2018 - 04:17 PM

Master Sergeant

• 856 battles

View Posttrikke, on 13 April 2018 - 08:22 AM, said:

i suppose a higher skill level pilot could learn something coming back down to T1-3 that would help him in mid-high tiers, but i can't imagine what that could be

it's never been tested afaik, but a software block to eliminate pilots flying in T1-3 after they reach, say 400 battles, would increase new player retention 

WG would have to refund credits and gold spent on T1-3 planes to make that change fair to that pilot, which will never happen, so...

how about a high time player not being able to get credits, WR bump, anything when he flies T1-3...  would that work for everyone?

there's probably a valid reason why retired NFL players just can't go back to play on high school football teams, and while i personally would love to see that...

Capping at 400 would make any type of pilot/gunner skill upgrades pretty well useless. Myself, I like T-2-4, & & have spent most of my time in a TSH-2, working on full adv of pilot & gunner for the express purpose of moving them to a higher tier craft when they were maxed ( though now, w the clusterfrak that has happened.. :facepalm:) I could agree with a credit reduction, but an exp reduction would defeat the purpose of my staying low, for skill upgrades.

And I like the flight characteristics of lower tier craft, higher tier craft seem to be...sluggish..I know, this coming from a GAA pilot.. That's my thought on it..

Edited by Fliyntiger, 19 June 2018 - 06:18 PM.

I can’t promise that if you choose to fight, that there will ever be a victory…or a day that we can step down and say our work is finished. Our lives are the sum total of thousand of choices. And the burden of that freedom is sometimes too much to bear. But you won’t have to do it alone anymore. We will find a better way..

Together.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users