Does playing lower tiers (I, II, III) make you a better pilot?

seal clubbing Skill lower tiers Opinions

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Prenzlau #1 Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:48 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5296 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

Does playing a large amount of sorties at the three bottom tiers (I,II,III) make a player into a better and more skilled pilot?

I thought I would pose this question to the community, since the debate goes on concerning "seal clubbing". The spirit of this question is not totally about "seal clubbing". I would appreciate opinions and feedback on whether players think levels of competition are main determining factors in skill development or if they have a different opinion. It seems logical and reasonable to me that competing in the higher tiers is simply a better learning experience than hundreds or thousands of sorties in the lower tiers? 

Thanks

Prenzlau

Edited by Prenzlau, 16 April 2018 - 07:56 PM.

The Zigfreid & Prenzlau Bombing Company

"We're not just delivering the mail..."

Sheeple_Slayer #2 Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:53 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 535 battles
That's how these "ace" players here inflate their WR, by beating the sh..t out of tier 2-3 bots and new players. Then, they come and show us how "good" they are, how they "master" the game. Pathetic!

Izgoy0899 #3 Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:54 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 362 battles

I normally prefer tier 6,7, and 8 for the challenge at times.  I had a straight beat down game in the Focke-Wulf Fw 56 Stosser that was a total shut out 402-0, and I had to stop playing it.  I'd rather have the game at T8 getting by behind handed to me, or a game at T6.  Though the off game in the Yak-3RD at T7 is too much fun too. 

CorvusCorvax #4 Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1352 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

T1-T3 is where I observe bot ADA and AA/flak behavior.  It's also a good place to fly around the map not actually doing anything but flying, just to see points on the map that might be useful at higher tiers (assuming that map is actually used at higher tiers.)  Even if you don't shoot anyone down, and your team loses, you still get experience points.

It's also a good place to find seal clubbers and show them a good time.  After all, who goes clubbing and wants to *not* have fun, right?  ;)

SpiritFoxMY #5 Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2496 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

My answer is...maybe. 

Depends on the variety of airplanes you fly at that tier - tier 3 is the beginning of performance diversification across the various trees that only gets more pronounced the further you go down the lines. It also gives players a chance to observe and experiment with different map tactics, different cap values and a safe spot to learn things that they wouldn't actually learn if they just scampered up the tech tree and got the bejeezus beaten out of them at the tier 5 hump. I think tier 3 is a nice "soft" tier to play around in. Tier 1 is worthless as anything other than a basic training ground so anyone buzzing around in one after they've unlocked 5 and above, they're probably just doing it for crapand giggles and not actually learning anything. 2... CAN be a learning experience, but it really requires either you or your opponent to be flying a premium of some sort because again the differences between the "tree" planes is too small to really matter, unless you're flying the Ao or the Tsh.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

I_QQ_4_U #6 Posted 13 April 2018 - 03:01 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2108 battles
I probably play the mid tiers most because anything higher than tier 7 is dead most of the time. Playing the low tiers can be fun when you just want to blow off steam slaughtering bots and most players.

soydivision #7 Posted 13 April 2018 - 03:01 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 604 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

IMO, thousands of games in tier 1-3 only serve to make you a better Tier 1-3 pilot, for the most part. The upper tiers play differently, so I'm not sure the experience from 1-3 would "translate" well.

Wombatmetal #8 Posted 13 April 2018 - 03:02 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 785 battles

After a certain point when you get the mechanics down, you will only improve your skills playing against other players of equal or greater skill. Also the plane equipment changes as you go up tiers. Take the Yak 9 with its 45mm cannon. No amount of games at tier 3 will teach you to land shots with that thing. 

You really have to challenge yourself to improve, and once a level is no longer a challenge it's time to move up if your goal is to be a better player. If you're playing for fun have at it, although I would advise going to at least tiers 4 or 5, and don't seal club which discourages new players. 

FluffyPabu #9 Posted 13 April 2018 - 03:04 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5968 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

a new player, who kept on playing lower tiers for example for 10k battles, his/her level of expertise remains low. Going higher tiers will be more challenging for him/her.

So no.

FYI, this doesn't apply for sealclubbers

Edited by poisonousblood, 13 April 2018 - 03:04 PM.

Edward_Thache #10 Posted 13 April 2018 - 03:06 PM

Master Sergeant

• 1185 battles

Good post!  I have less than 1000 flights and my highest tier is T7. I hold on to my favorite lower-tier planes so that when I get a T8, I will fly the lower tiers to get tokens.  That's is probably the only reason that I still have them.  Flying the higher tiers is more rewarding for exp for my limited time to grind.  The better pilots are there at the higher tiers and the maxim of "practice makes perfect" always holds true.  I never go to the lower tiers to club but sometimes that happens.

Oh, and I don't give a rats bum about stats.  You only have to look at my stats to see that.

Edited by Edward_Thache, 13 April 2018 - 03:16 PM.

NovaTempest #11 Posted 13 April 2018 - 03:50 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1420 battles

View PostEdward_Thache, on 13 April 2018 - 03:06 PM, said:

Good post!  I have less than 1000 flights and my highest tier is T7. I hold on to my favorite lower-tier planes so that when I get a T8, I will fly the lower tiers to get tokens.  That's is probably the only reason that I still have them.  Flying the higher tiers is more rewarding for exp for my limited time to grind.  The better pilots are there at the higher tiers and the maxim of "practice makes perfect" always holds true.  I never go to the lower tiers to club but sometimes that happens.

Oh, and I don't give a rats bum about stats.  You only have to look at my stats to see that.

Smart thinking Edward. What i did was start on as many lines as I could that I wanted to go down, and when I got to a T9 I picked out another line (The Yak-1 line) and marched down to the Yak-15. So now I have two high tier planes. The majority of my aircraft however fall in the mid-tiers, the only aircraft I have below T5 is the A6M1. Sure the A6M1 can be considered OP, but its survivability is what keeps it in check, so I have to play as seriously as I would in a T8 or T9 to do well.

I am considering getting back the Hurricane I if i get the Tornado, as I did very well in that T4 as well.

Prenzlau #12 Posted 13 April 2018 - 03:51 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5296 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostEdward_Thache, on 13 April 2018 - 03:06 PM, said:

Thanks Eddie. Maybe your not a dickhead. (silent pause) Just kidding... just kidding, really. The thing with statistics and I hope others will agree with me is that they are a way to measure your game play. I realize in this ego fueled environment stats are also used to measure other things. But to be honest when I started paying attention to my stats is when I became a better pilot and that's because I could set goals and work towards certain levels. 

From the 1997 movie "Liar Liar" 

Max: My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
Fletcher: That's just something ugly people say. (to make themselves feel better)

My goal here is not to come across as cruel or insensitive, (maybe only a little), but I could easily rearrange this quote to say.

Edward: Oh, and I don't give a rats bum about stats.

Prenzlau: That's just something less skilled pilots say. (to make themselves feel better)

I've always said stats don't tell the whole story, they are just a body of work taken out of context to any specific event, but I do think they have uses. If someone is to label someone else as "an excellent pilot" or "a seal clubber", are looking at stats as the best way to go? Is it a fair marker? I don't know, but what I do know is that is the system that most of us use, and look at, even if you don't want to admit it. 

Prenzlau

Edited by Prenzlau, 13 April 2018 - 09:14 PM.

The Zigfreid & Prenzlau Bombing Company

"We're not just delivering the mail..."

NovaTempest #13 Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:01 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1420 battles

View PostPrenzlau, on 13 April 2018 - 02:48 PM, said:

Does playing a large amount of sorties at the three bottom tiers (I,II,III) make a player into a better and more skilled pilot?

Short Answer: Yes and No.

Long Answer:

SpiritFoxMY and soydivision's answers both explain this perfectly. Tiers 1-3 will see maps that Tiers VII-X will never see, and vice versa, because if say, a fully upgraded Me 262 HG II were to wind up on the arctic map planes up to T4 see, it would be able to get from one end of the map to the other within 20-25 seconds. The difference between each consecutive tier varies, I would argue that the 'leaps' start with the difference between T3 and T4 and go on from there, but i would say the most profound are T3-T4, T4-T5, T7-T8, and T9-T10. Either because the performance of the aircraft overall shifts considerably, or the game play required takes a shift. Four thousand battles in T1-T3 would make a person well versed in T1-T3 battles, but as soon as they get thrown against T4 they would be completely out of their wheelhouse. On top of that, because of the map distribution I mentioned earlier, a person who solely plays T1-T3 won't see all the maps in the game, and will only be well versed in a handful, most of which dont appear for planes outside that tier range.

MARS_REVENANT #14 Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:04 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 3715 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA
Sometimes.  Low tiers can be more action packed so you need to be on your game in terms of switching priority targets and keeping an eye on your surroundings.  It is good practice as you have more time to react without the risk of being deleted.  If you can apply what you learn and perform just as well at mid tiers, then your training is complete.  Unless you are down there for token missions, I would suggest mid tiers become your practice tier.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

TWITCH  |  YOUTUBE  |  FACEBOOK  |  TWITTER

Edward_Thache #15 Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:15 PM

Master Sergeant

• 1185 battles

View PostPrenzlau, on 13 April 2018 - 10:51 AM, said:

Edward: Oh, and I don't give a rats bum about stats.

Prenzlau: That's just something less skilled pilots say. (to make themselves feel better)

I've always said stats don't tell the whole story, they are just a body of work taken out of context to any specific event, but I do think they have uses. If someone is to label someone else as "an excellent pilot" or "a seal clubber", are looking at stats the way to go? Is it a fair marker? I don't know, but what I do know is that is the system that most of use, and look at, even if you don't want to admit it. 

Prenzlau

To be fair, I play my German GAA planes more than any other and while I do well, it doesn't always reflect in wins; but I hear that from a lot of GAA pilots.  My score would be higher if I played fighters more but I love the GGA's.

trikke #16 Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2152 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

i suppose a higher skill level pilot could learn something coming back down to T1-3 that would help him in mid-high tiers, but i can't imagine what that could be

it's never been tested afaik, but a software block to eliminate pilots flying in T1-3 after they reach, say 400 battles, would increase new player retention 

WG would have to refund credits and gold spent on T1-3 planes to make that change fair to that pilot, which will never happen, so...

how about a high time player not being able to get credits, WR bump, anything when he flies T1-3...  would that work for everyone?

there's probably a valid reason why retired NFL players just can't go back to play on high school football teams, and while i personally would love to see that...

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Blucraft #17 Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:26 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1351 battles

OP, I personally can't stand flying below tier 4.  Things just move too slow for my taste, I think that's great when your learning the game.  But once you know the tactics...it's like swimming laps in the shallow end of the pool.  You can...but all that splashing tends to scare the kids :sceptic:.

-Blu 

allenr #18 Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:17 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1229 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

I think it does make for a better pilot, need quick reactions down there,

but once you've reached a level there is no need to go down there and bash brains continuously,

unless, they hold an event like last week, get 10 wins tier 1 to 3 and win,.. whatever it was.

I played my gift planes for 10 battles and got out of there with a whack of coin and experience.

call me names, don't care, wg sent me there.

LeastWeasel #19 Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:59 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 748 battles
The highest I’ve got is a tier 8 - but with that caveat in mind:

I’d wager a no? Low-tier fights can be hectic, sprawling brawling affair, for sure, and there are reflexes to train in that environment.

In the higher tiers, however, the margins for error seem much slimmer, and you need to have a more comprehensive list of answers when you’re engaged outside of your plane’s preferred approach...

In low tiers, you win dogfights. In higher tiers, you learn about converting the WRONG fight into the RIGHT fight.

Reitousair #20 Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:59 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6034 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

Hmm, flying low-tier aircraft beyond early on in your career has very minimal impact on your growth. There comes a certain point where flying low-tier aircraft only helps you learn how to fight in the low-tiers, and no longer how to fight anywhere else.

To start, it's a great learning tool with how slow-paced everything is, but eventually you will hit a cap where it's no longer general knowledge you're picking up, only regional knowledge which quite often translates to bad pilots overall.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users