Jump to content


The IL Question

IL Plane Recommended

  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

NovaTempest #1 Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:09 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 2987 battles
  • 225
  • Member since:
    12-06-2013

I generally have found the forums here to be rather enlightening on what to expect if I ask a "should I go for x or y on z...?" question, so here's another one that i'd like to hear from vets of the line on:

 

"I am on the IL-2(t), and I am weighing over which of the tier 7s to get when i want to move up. Which is more ideal / is more fun / easier on the brain in the long run: the IL-10, or the IL-8?"

 

I personally am leaning toward the IL-8 because I have found the massive guns so useful on the IL-2 and IL-2(t), though I am open to arguements for the IL-10 as I wouldn't mind running either plane first.



cobra_marksman #2 Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:33 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 4271 battles
  • 326
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
  • Member since:
    01-28-2014
They both shine in their own way.:bajan: You can look up the stats, so won't waste your time talking about them.The IL-10 is a mutt, it can dog fight with Ga's and come out on top.:playing: it can get to bases faster, is a very good Support plane, to help your fighters, by chewing up fighters ( with it's powerful guns ), that get careless in a dogfight, and don't pay much attention to you.:great: Now the IL-8 is a pure ground pounder,:kamikaze: does a lot of damage to ground targets, so do not use it for anything else. It doesn't come into it's own  :hiding:till you finally level up the rear gunner for some protection. Now....until you get the gunner up to skill #5 your going to be taking a beating by fighters & Multi fighters ( who fly low to drop bombs & fire rockets ).Your going to be a easy kill for them, so look  for them because... they will be coming, especially if you lose fighter cover & support. So it comes down to what you expect to accomplish...Only Bomb.  or Fly a support Fighter / Bomber. :izmena: My opinion.....start with the IL-10 Get the feel of the plane....enjoy flying it, Hunt Ga's & anything else that comes in low & gets sloppy.:coin:.  

Edited by cobra_marksman, 11 April 2018 - 01:38 AM.


Dru83 #3 Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:38 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 2636 battles
  • 227
  • [X3M] X3M
  • Member since:
    03-27-2016

Akirishin posted a good video comparison of these two recently, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7ON9paGjTk&t=2475s

 

I went for the Il-8. It's tough and can ground pound like nothing else. The big cannons and big load of rockets make short work of most targets and the bombs will take care of everything else. But, it's slow and takes a lot of effort and luck to dogfight other GA's successfully. If you like hitting ground targets, go Il-8, If you'd rather be more flexible and play defense against GA's from time to time, go with the Il-10.

 

 



MafiaMatt #4 Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:15 AM

    Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 4432 battles
  • 87
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
Don't bother until you get the IL-40P.  Then, you will sell the obsolete GAs that only waste space in your hangar!

comtedumas #5 Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:54 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 5845 battles
  • 1,026
  • [FK] FK
  • Member since:
    04-11-2016

View PostNovaTempest, on 10 April 2018 - 08:09 PM, said:

I generally have found the forums here to be rather enlightening on what to expect if I ask a "should I go for x or y on z...?" question, so here's another one that i'd like to hear from vets of the line on:

 

"I am on the IL-2(t), and I am weighing over which of the tier 7s to get when i want to move up. Which is more ideal / is more fun / easier on the brain in the long run: the IL-10, or the IL-8?"

 

I personally am leaning toward the IL-8 because I have found the massive guns so useful on the IL-2 and IL-2(t), though I am open to arguements for the IL-10 as I wouldn't mind running either plane first.

The IL-10 is handicapped by its guns for killing ground targets, but is better air to air against other GAA.  The IL-8 has better ground target killing guns, but is far less maneuverable against other aircraft.  I couldn’t make the IL-10 work for me.  You might be able to get it to work for you.  So you should earn both and try them out, find out what you like and fly it.  

 

Btw, if you do go IL-8, keep the smaller bombs.  Why?  If you take the bigger bombload, you only get two bombs, while with the smaller bombs you get 6.  So even if you drop two bombs on each target, you can kill three targets with the smaller bombs while with the larger ones the only amount you can possibly kill is 2. That’s the difference in one pass capture or having to do multiple passes.  


Edited by comtedumas, 11 April 2018 - 08:00 AM.


comtedumas #6 Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:01 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 5845 battles
  • 1,026
  • [FK] FK
  • Member since:
    04-11-2016

View PostMafiaMatt, on 10 April 2018 - 10:15 PM, said:

Don't bother until you get the IL-40P.  Then, you will sell the obsolete GAs that only waste space in your hangar!

 

shortsighted, because to complete daily missions you need some aircraft from all Tier Groups.  

cobra_marksman #7 Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:27 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 4271 battles
  • 326
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
  • Member since:
    01-28-2014

View Postcomtedumas, on 11 April 2018 - 02:54 AM, said:

The IL-10 is handicapped by its guns for killing ground targets, but is better air to air against other GAA.  The IL-8 has better ground target killing guns, but is far less maneuverable against other aircraft.  I couldn’t make the IL-10 work for me.  You might be able to get it to work for you.  So you should earn both and try them out, find out what you like and fly it.  

 

Btw, if you do go IL-8, keep the smaller bombs.  Why?  If you take the bigger bombload, you only get two bombs, while with the smaller bombs you get 6.  So even if you drop two bombs on each target, you can kill three targets with the smaller bombs while with the larger ones the only amount you can possibly kill is 2. That’s the difference in one pass capture or having to do multiple passes.  

 

​Agreed with the above. Since they released 2.0, the game objectives have changed, but the older planes and their set-up's worked in 1.9 but not really in 2.0  aka.( IL-8, keep the smaller bombs ). Before bomb & rockets loads would slow the plane down in all axis, but not anymore. So adjust all your planes based on 2.0.

Texthor #8 Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:07 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 7 battles
  • 891
  • Member since:
    12-27-2013
It takes NO skill......to win in an IL

Edward_Thache #9 Posted 11 April 2018 - 02:56 PM

    Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1185 battles
  • 77
  • Member since:
    04-06-2017

View Postcomtedumas, on 11 April 2018 - 02:54 AM, said:

Btw, if you do go IL-8, keep the smaller bombs.  Why?  If you take the bigger bombload, you only get two bombs, while with the smaller bombs you get 6.  So even if you drop two bombs on each target, you can kill three targets with the smaller bombs while with the larger ones the only amount you can possibly kill is 2. That’s the difference in one pass capture or having to do multiple passes.  

 

That is a good maxim for any of the IL GAA aircraft.  Thanks 

Edward_Thache #10 Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:05 PM

    Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1185 battles
  • 77
  • Member since:
    04-06-2017

View PostTexthor, on 11 April 2018 - 08:07 AM, said:

It takes NO skill......to win in an IL

 

Really, I would love to know why you feel that way?  I am flying down the German GAA which is, for the most part, all cannon and no rockets or bombs.  Why shouldn't I go down the IL line?

Edited by Edward_Thache, 11 April 2018 - 03:13 PM.


Texthor #11 Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:50 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 7 battles
  • 891
  • Member since:
    12-27-2013

View PostEdward_Thache, on 11 April 2018 - 09:05 AM, said:

 

Really, I would love to know why you feel that way?  I am flying down the German GAA which is, for the most part, all cannon and no rockets or bombs.  Why shouldn't I go down the IL line?

 

someone fill in the newbie or check out my older post to see for yourself............lol

Edited by Texthor, 11 April 2018 - 03:51 PM.


cobra_marksman #12 Posted 11 April 2018 - 04:10 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 4271 battles
  • 326
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
  • Member since:
    01-28-2014

View PostTexthor, on 11 April 2018 - 08:07 AM, said:

It takes NO skill......to win in an IL

 

​Either your trolling to get attention...  :child:​ Or  you just had 1 too many bombs dropped in your face while sniffing my Ga's tailpipe.:facepalm:   With 7 battles & 877 posts. ​ you just might want to get a little more stick time, & post a little less, before you share your Wise & Knowing All  opinion with the group here. :coin:

Edited by cobra_marksman, 11 April 2018 - 04:14 PM.


Edward_Thache #13 Posted 11 April 2018 - 04:15 PM

    Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1185 battles
  • 77
  • Member since:
    04-06-2017

View PostTexthor, on 11 April 2018 - 10:50 AM, said:

 

someone fill in the newbie or check out my older post to see for yourself............lol

 

​Don't be an [edited]!

Texthor #14 Posted 11 April 2018 - 04:15 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 7 battles
  • 891
  • Member since:
    12-27-2013

View Postcobra_marksman, on 11 April 2018 - 10:10 AM, said:

 

​Either your trolling to get attention...  :child:​ Or  you just had 1 too many bombs dropped in your face while sniffing a Ga's tailpipe.:facepalm:   With 7 battles & 877 posts. ​ you just might want to get a little more stick time, & post a little less, before you share your Wise & Knowing All  opinion with the group here. :coin:

 

had over 30,000 games under my belt pre 2.0 when it took skill to win in a light fighter............

Edited by Texthor, 11 April 2018 - 04:18 PM.


cobra_marksman #15 Posted 11 April 2018 - 04:27 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 4271 battles
  • 326
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
  • Member since:
    01-28-2014

View PostTexthor, on 11 April 2018 - 10:50 AM, said:

 

someone fill in the newbie or check out my older post to see for yourself............lol

And who would want to go back & check out any of your trolling opinion on anything related to the game ?.:bajan:....We would probably be misinformation:amazed: trolling material,:trollface: or you would probably be sharing with us on " how you saved the game by just showing up & telling ....how......:kamikaze: Knowledgeable & Great your are "... :facepalm:... 


Edited by cobra_marksman, 11 April 2018 - 04:27 PM.


cobra_marksman #16 Posted 11 April 2018 - 04:31 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 4271 battles
  • 326
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
  • Member since:
    01-28-2014

:coin:View PostTexthor, on 11 April 2018 - 11:15 AM, said:

 

had over 30,000 games under my belt pre 2.0 when it took skill to win in a light fighter............

 

​As my Drill Sargent. would say to me.....Well son.....you ain't SH#$ here. Get back to peeling those spuds. ( are we done trolling here ....or do you want to continue ? ) I would Really like to get back to flying..:playing:....Something you know very little about in Wowp 2.0:coin:

Edited by cobra_marksman, 11 April 2018 - 04:36 PM.


LeastWeasel #17 Posted 11 April 2018 - 04:47 PM

    Master Sergeant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 748 battles
  • 99
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
Went for the IL-8 ages ago, can’t remember the rationale - but I like the durability of it. Hadn’t thought to go back to the 6-bomb loadout; eager to try that next time I am on. Still haven’t gotten a solid sense of the exact ordnance/time-to-kill ratios of the new (to me) 2.0 ground targets :p


But I imagine the 6-bomb loadout offers some decent flexibility over the IL-10 for pure groundpounding. Looking forward to it!

Texthor #18 Posted 11 April 2018 - 05:34 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 7 battles
  • 891
  • Member since:
    12-27-2013

View Postcobra_marksman, on 11 April 2018 - 10:31 AM, said:

 

​As my Drill Sargent. would say to me.....Well son.....you ain't SH#$ here. Get back to peeling those spuds. ( are we done trolling here ....or do you want to continue ? ) I would Really like to get back to flying..:playing:....Something you know very little about in Wowp 2.0:coin:

 

get back to your flying........I have seen enough of 2.0 to know it is a joke.   All the 'skilled' gamers have left, so it is all yours.  (you may now enjoy your flying tank)

comtedumas #19 Posted 11 April 2018 - 06:40 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 5845 battles
  • 1,026
  • [FK] FK
  • Member since:
    04-11-2016

View PostTexthor, on 11 April 2018 - 08:07 AM, said:

It takes NO skill......to win in an IL

 

wrong, it does take lots of skill, just different from what you might have.  

NovaTempest #20 Posted 11 April 2018 - 06:48 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 2987 battles
  • 225
  • Member since:
    12-06-2013

View Postcomtedumas, on 11 April 2018 - 07:54 AM, said:

The IL-10 is handicapped by its guns for killing ground targets, but is better air to air against other GAA.  The IL-8 has better ground target killing guns, but is far less maneuverable against other aircraft.  I couldn’t make the IL-10 work for me.  You might be able to get it to work for you.  So you should earn both and try them out, find out what you like and fly it.  

 

Btw, if you do go IL-8, keep the smaller bombs.  Why?  If you take the bigger bombload, you only get two bombs, while with the smaller bombs you get 6.  So even if you drop two bombs on each target, you can kill three targets with the smaller bombs while with the larger ones the only amount you can possibly kill is 2. That’s the difference in one pass capture or having to do multiple passes.  

I will have to keep those little heads-up tips in mind, Thanks Com. +1 from me. :great:


Edited by NovaTempest, 11 April 2018 - 06:48 PM.






Also tagged with IL, Plane, Recommended

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users