At the suggestion of the denizens of this forum, I bought and have played the I-17

I-17 Yak

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

CorvusCorvax #1 Posted 07 April 2018 - 11:06 PM

Captain

• 4278 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

What a huge pile of T4.  OK, it turns like crazy.  I mean, there is essentially nothing that will turn with it.  But it has no juice, and no altitude.  As a zone defender, you have to keep your head on a swivel to keep from being bounced by energy anything.   Its lack of ceiling means that it cannot go after any bombers, unless they come downstairs.  Even with a hub cannon, the guns are a bit weak.  Sure, you can stick to someone's tail like glue and eventually peck them to death, but the experience isn't pleasant.

I might have to rage-XP out of this one.    I found that if I fly it really close to the ground, then pop up behind light fighters that are otherwise engaged, I can kill them before they escape.  

I love a good turnfighter, but dang, this one is going to be a grind.  Add to that the matchmaker prowess in sticking me with almost all T5 opposition so far.  A Spitfire or a Bf-109 chews this thing up and spits it out, in about two seconds.

ExploratorOne #2 Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:01 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1679 battles
  • [LOU1] LOU1
Keep in mind the meta of Attrition mode is somewhat different than Conquest.  I would wait until the event ends in order to judge it fairly.

LMG #3 Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:17 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

I grinded through it before Attrition. I couldn't really make use of its superior turning capabilities because everyone was flying above my optimal altitude, so I had to dogfight in yellow or red altitude quite often. Those were bots too, so I couldn't really drag them down low either :(

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

Captain_Rownd #4 Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:42 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2426 battles
I liked the I-17.  I remember parking behind the GA planes and chewing on their tails since it can go really slow. 

Favorites:

SPAD S.510:: MiG-3 :: I-250 :: Ju 88 P :: He 100 D-1 :: Caudron C.714

YagabodooN #5 Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:42 AM

Master Sergeant

• 1775 battles

I hated it, its terrible, it DOESNT EVEN HAVE FLAPS, I almost feel pity when I see some poor fool playing it. 

Cenotaph #6 Posted 08 April 2018 - 01:01 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3307 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR
Odd, I quite enjoy the I-17... kept one for low tier token missions even tho I have an I-15bis DM. (Feels slightly less evil to be in tier 4, and you can get medals)
I don't want to hurt you... I just want to kill you!

ComradeZ #7 Posted 08 April 2018 - 02:07 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4042 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostRico_CotC_, on 07 April 2018 - 11:06 PM, said:

What a huge pile of T4.  OK, it turns like crazy.  I mean, there is essentially nothing that will turn with it.  But it has no juice, and no altitude.  As a zone defender, you have to keep your head on a swivel to keep from being bounced by energy anything.   Its lack of ceiling means that it cannot go after any bombers, unless they come downstairs.  Even with a hub cannon, the guns are a bit weak.  Sure, you can stick to someone's tail like glue and eventually peck them to death, but the experience isn't pleasant.

I might have to rage-XP out of this one.    I found that if I fly it really close to the ground, then pop up behind light fighters that are otherwise engaged, I can kill them before they escape.  

I love a good turnfighter, but dang, this one is going to be a grind.  Add to that the matchmaker prowess in sticking me with almost all T5 opposition so far.  A Spitfire or a Bf-109 chews this thing up and spits it out, in about two seconds.

Don't base a plane's performance when we are playing 'crapEvent'.  I rock that i17 to death and it's a great plane in conquest. Don't even bother taking it out until the weekdays where you can enjoy playing and not run after the suckling teat that is the Xf15c and Do.

SpiritFoxMY #8 Posted 08 April 2018 - 04:18 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4918 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

I-17 is a hunk of junk.

Ok, so it isn't bad: it can turn with pretty much anyone if you know how to, its guns are actually rather ok, its got pretty decent speed, but its 600m altitude is awful even at tier 4. Give me the 109B anyday over this.

Its flying this thing that's soured me to the Yak fighter line - great when the enemy comes down to you, but unless they come down to you, you're kinda stuck. 

I do agree that you shouldn't base your experience of it flying Attrition (its actually pretty formidable in Invasion because of the proliferation of GAAs) because Attrition is heavily focused on dogfighting and if you have Hawks, Heinkels and 109s in the fight, you're going to feel the pain as there's nothing stopping them from holding at about 1000m+ and just booming you to oblivion. It can make a mark in Conquest and Invasion because it is a pretty decent at capturing points (the bots are dumb enough to come down to you) and in Invasion (because the Attacking team has Attackers down low) but I think Attrition will crap on it unless you get really favorable matchmaking. Or a bunch of potatos.

Edited by SpiritFoxMY, 08 April 2018 - 04:19 AM.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

allenr #9 Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:23 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2416 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
i love the I-17 so much i have kept it and colored it, don't even worry about going up, stay low and wiggle and waggle and tear the crapout of anything in front of you, good times!

I_QQ_4_U #10 Posted 08 April 2018 - 09:25 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2111 battles
The I-17 has been one of my go to planes for this Westwall thing, definitely one of my top 5 favourites so far. The only thing it really sucks at is altitude performance. I'll probably buy it back at some point and make a dedicated pilot for it. My favourite thing about it is wiping the floor with all those scumbag Spitfires!;)

hoom #11 Posted 09 April 2018 - 12:36 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10213 battles

*shrug* I felt dirty playing I-17 it was so strong, sold it ASAP once completed research to next tier planes.

Its certainly not a universally dominant plane & rightfully so, you do spend a lot of time dodging Heavies & can't go hunting bombers but its rarely lacking targets it can easily defeat.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

GonerNL #12 Posted 09 April 2018 - 08:59 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1111 battles

View Postallenr, on 08 April 2018 - 07:23 AM, said:

i love the I-17 so much i have kept it and colored it,

Same here ! Don't know where the (gift?) camo came from but it's a three-tone scheme ; some greens & earth.

Still like flying it ; it's great at low alt for chasing GA's and mixing it up with the other low-flyers ... use a plane's advantages, not it's disadvantages ;-)

Flying on EU, NA, ASIA and CIS servers

Toggle #13 Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:54 AM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 4643 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostYagabodooN, on 08 April 2018 - 12:42 AM, said:

I hated it, its terrible, it DOESNT EVEN HAVE FLAPS,

Just because it doesn't have flaps, does not prevent me from extending them.

nwlxn12 #14 Posted 09 April 2018 - 02:13 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1408 battles

View PostRico_CotC_, on 07 April 2018 - 05:06 PM, said:

If you dislike the I-17, you may want to skip the entire Yak line.

CorvusCorvax #15 Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:17 PM

Captain

• 4278 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View Postnwlxn12, on 09 April 2018 - 02:13 PM, said:

If you dislike the I-17, you may want to skip the entire Yak line.

After having seen the way some folks play the Yaks, I felt it might be worth the effort.  It might be my particular play style that doesn't mesh with this line - we'll find out, I guess.  :)

SpiritFoxMY #16 Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:24 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4918 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostRico_CotC_, on 09 April 2018 - 03:17 PM, said:

After having seen the way some folks play the Yaks, I felt it might be worth the effort.  It might be my particular play style that doesn't mesh with this line - we'll find out, I guess.  :)

You're an altitude fighter like me. The Yaks are going to be frustrating until you start learning to leave the bombers and heavies to their own devices and focus on the ground game. I can't (even the Spitfire is too low altitude for me), so I'm not likely to go very far or fast down the Yak tree.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

CorvusCorvax #17 Posted 09 April 2018 - 05:20 PM

Captain

• 4278 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 09 April 2018 - 04:24 PM, said:

You're an altitude fighter like me. The Yaks are going to be frustrating until you start learning to leave the bombers and heavies to their own devices and focus on the ground game. I can't (even the Spitfire is too low altitude for me), so I'm not likely to go very far or fast down the Yak tree.

True.  I get the most out of Bf-109, Spit V - DB605 (my favorite plane) and my German heavies.  Even my P-39N-1 I've been playing at the mid-altitudes, occasionally stretching it up to bomber altitudes.  Even when I play the lower tiers, I'm often in the yellow with the lighter birds.

I might just have to teach myself to stick to the ground and prey on the poor souls that venture into that space.

hoom #18 Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:09 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10213 battles

Block Quote

If you dislike the I-17, you may want to skip the entire Yak line

As he said in the OP, in a different thread he said he was avoiding the line because he doesn't like low, slow planes with weak guns.

Several of us argued that they're very fun & good.

Good on him for trying it, people are free to not like particular planes/types.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

CorvusCorvax #19 Posted 10 April 2018 - 12:07 AM

Captain

• 4278 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View Posthoom, on 09 April 2018 - 10:09 PM, said:

As he said in the OP, in a different thread he said he was avoiding the line because he doesn't like low, slow planes with weak guns.

Several of us argued that they're very fun & good.

Good on him for trying it, people are free to not like particular planes/types.

I played a battle today, and it was a much better match.  I kept in my head that this plane is not a mid- or high-altitude plane, and it is meant primarily for low work in tight spaces.  So I played it like that.  

It was much better than my first few outings, no question.

GonerNL #20 Posted 10 April 2018 - 09:36 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1111 battles

Of the USSR planes only the Mig-3 line has alt fighters, like the I-210 and up.

I haven't tried that line yet, only the La and the 2 Yak lines, but maybe I should the Migs as well ...

Flying on EU, NA, ASIA and CIS servers

Also tagged with I-17, Yak

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users