F4U-4, moving up from stock

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

LeastWeasel #1 Posted 07 April 2018 - 06:05 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 748 battles

Just wondering if anyone has any nuggets of wisdom for an mg-armed configuration of this plane - I played its predecessor well enough with its cannon loadout, but dropping back to low ranges & long bursts seems counter to the straight-line speed this seems to prefer. 

Still shaking the dust off, so it’s possible I’ve got my head wrong about my whole approach, here.

YagabodooN #2 Posted 07 April 2018 - 06:19 PM

Master Sergeant

• 1775 battles
I run a full speed build on my F4U-1, I finished the F2G and went backwards because I love my Corsairs.  I would imagine that the same build would be relevant on the F4U-4 as well.  No bombs or rockets, all speed, stay at medium altitude, make devastating high speed slash attacks on fighters and make GA soil themselves.  If a high alt fighter dives on you, point your nose at him and force a head on.  If a heavy dives you, go head on and when he's close, pull a sharp turn and boost when halfway through your loop, you will lose some health but his energy advantage will be wasted and you will be able to burst his tail to pieces.  Remember, stay at MID ALTITUDE NOT LOW, yes your ideal band is low but the Corsair has an engine power and boost that is far above average tier for tier and can easily get away with going over its alt limit a bit.  Keep at least 5 seconds of boost ready unless theres an emergency and never boost dive.

LeastWeasel #3 Posted 09 April 2018 - 02:33 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 748 battles
Took this advice, and have honed my approach; skilled & equipped my F4U-4 for capture/GAA hunting, split between speed and durability (taking least damage from AA).

Running (can’t remember the exact names):
-Defensive expert
-engine skill I
-that anti-air rocket skill
-concealing livery
-engine tuning
-airframe polish

Currently grinding for the last engine/cannons, torn between the added survivability speed allows & the (long-awaited) damage/range boost of the cannon armament.

How much has the air-to-air rocket game changed? Having a hell of a time getting any rocket kills; Sometimes I dump them all on GT’s and save the second salvo for GA/heavies, othertimes I run bombs for the extra oomph.   Gotta say, I like that taking out GT’s in a single run requires solid planning and ordnance spread.

LeastWeasel #4 Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:47 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 748 battles
Alright, checking back in, and I’ve completed my module grind - and made some reassessments. Some common sense, some maybe not - but it might be helpful for anyone else working the Corsair line, so here’s my thoughts from the middle of the grind:

UPGRADE PATH & GENERAL FLIGHT PHILOSOPHY:
Get the guns first, mount the rockets. I took the opposite path, and struggled. The Corsair has a long boost duration, but that occasionally led me astray- although boost, speed, & climb rate are integral, the key to this line is damage projection. Get where you need to be, and pile on from a distance with cannon & rockets; you are uniquely suited to piling on to dogfights in progress or finishing off ground targets. Never fight alone, you are cleanup crew.

ON ROCKETS:
If you are in no immediate danger from fighters, use those rockets to clear AA, to burst down a hardened target, or steal cap points in the initial fight for a neutral cap. Due to the long cooldown, holding on to a load for too long in hopes of a head-to-head is often squandering a high-value resource, if you’re not on defence.

DOGFIGHTING, THEM GUNS
The good news? Anything bigger than a multirole, you excel at catching and killing due to a combination of middling altitude, long boost, and great range. You also have the HP pool to weather a little tailgun. The poor range of the MG’s will see you overusing boost & getting yourself in too close. You are an energy fighter, but not a great energy fighter - your best defence is often getting guns on target as they close.

THAT BOOST:

Boost intact, you will have the speed & sustained climb to break from the pure turnfighters, but are things you can’t run from. Versus a LF with more energy & better handling, you need to get creative with your boost, flaps, and control surface consumables to encourage overshoots & generally goad them in to using up all their energy - it is here that I find the long boost time to be of greatest value. It gives you the means of resetting your position long after the more nimble LF has exhausted itself . Endurance is a thing, I recommend speccing for it. They will make a mistake, and when they do...

LISTEN FOR THE CHUNK
Cannons crit. These cannons crit a lot. Run universal if you really feel like it. Virtually any LF & many multiroles will eat you alive; your ace in the hole is waiting to hear that beautiful, life-affirming “chunk” audio cue. That means it’s go time. Cut your speed, use flaps, boost if you need it - but that is your kill window vs a LF. Until that moment, tight engagements with nimble crafts will simply be death by a thousand cuts for you.

GETTING PUNCHED IN THE FACE
Barring perfect setups, count on taking hits - possibly quite a few. An evasive wizard, this is not - once contact has been made (and cannot be broken) you need to last long enough to catch that mistake, or make it back to allies. You are also an excellent GA hunter; unlike heavies, your altitude sacrifices aren’t as pronounced (and they are excellent mg targets until you earn those cannons). You’ve got one of, if not the highest health pool of all the tier 7 MR’s & below, and share the highest HP regen at a cap of 40%.

With all this in mind, I am now running:

Improved Covering (more HP, less crits)
Engine tuning
Concealing livery

Engine Guru
Defensive Expert
Marksman (going to switch to Resilience like a crazy person when I get the next skill point)

Control surface trim
Pneumatic restarter
Reinforced control surface

Will update again, maybe get a video up eventually as the grind continues.

Edited by LeastWeasel, 13 April 2018 - 05:48 PM.

YagabodooN #5 Posted 14 April 2018 - 04:26 AM

Master Sergeant

• 1775 battles

I like going all out on the speed build: aero expert, engine guru 1 & 2 ; engine tuning, polish and finally improved optical sight for the upgrades.  No rockets or anything, you don't gain the speed back while they are reloading for some reason. 

Its all about keeping your energy and energy potential high, melting turnfighters in one pass feels pretty good.  Your style depends on how confident you are with your aim when slashing smaller fighters. 

Doing a half speed/ half durability build with rockets or the bombs is still very viable however, a quick bomb on an aa gun or medium target can buy you time to kill a GA and steal a cap.  Ultimately the Corsairs are all about making quick high impact plays, not for long drawn out fuzzball fights. 

LeastWeasel #6 Posted 14 April 2018 - 03:05 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 748 battles
The closer I get to fully upgraded, the more viable the full-speed approach gets... every ten games or so, I switch up my approach ;) at this point, I’d love just having two F4U-4 pilots, just to really experiment without blowing tons of silver.  I like your approach, Yaga - it’d be my first way of approaching this plane, fully upgraded. I think that it’s parially due to me grinding the 109Z simultaneously, that I keep looking at this & think how can I do this differently... Either way, this GA weekend is a good time to see how much I can get out of my fast/durable build... no point in taking livery if you’re not taking caps or hunting something with a tailgun! 

ComradeZ #7 Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:14 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3473 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostLeastWeasel, on 13 April 2018 - 04:47 PM, said:

Alright, checking back in, and I’ve completed my module grind - and made some reassessments. Some common sense, some maybe not - but it might be helpful for anyone else working the Corsair line, so here’s my thoughts from the middle of the grind:

UPGRADE PATH & GENERAL FLIGHT PHILOSOPHY:
Get the guns first, mount the rockets. I took the opposite path, and struggled. The Corsair has a long boost duration, but that occasionally led me astray- although boost, speed, & climb rate are integral, the key to this line is damage projection. Get where you need to be, and pile on from a distance with cannon & rockets; you are uniquely suited to piling on to dogfights in progress or finishing off ground targets. Never fight alone, you are cleanup crew.

ON ROCKETS:
If you are in no immediate danger from fighters, use those rockets to clear AA, to burst down a hardened target, or steal cap points in the initial fight for a neutral cap. Due to the long cooldown, holding on to a load for too long in hopes of a head-to-head is often squandering a high-value resource, if you’re not on defence.

DOGFIGHTING, THEM GUNS
The good news? Anything bigger than a multirole, you excel at catching and killing due to a combination of middling altitude, long boost, and great range. You also have the HP pool to weather a little tailgun. The poor range of the MG’s will see you overusing boost & getting yourself in too close. You are an energy fighter, but not a great energy fighter - your best defence is often getting guns on target as they close.

THAT BOOST:

Boost intact, you will have the speed & sustained climb to break from the pure turnfighters, but are things you can’t run from. Versus a LF with more energy & better handling, you need to get creative with your boost, flaps, and control surface consumables to encourage overshoots & generally goad them in to using up all their energy - it is here that I find the long boost time to be of greatest value. It gives you the means of resetting your position long after the more nimble LF has exhausted itself . Endurance is a thing, I recommend speccing for it. They will make a mistake, and when they do...

LISTEN FOR THE CHUNK
Cannons crit. These cannons crit a lot. Run universal if you really feel like it. Virtually any LF & many multiroles will eat you alive; your ace in the hole is waiting to hear that beautiful, life-affirming “chunk” audio cue. That means it’s go time. Cut your speed, use flaps, boost if you need it - but that is your kill window vs a LF. Until that moment, tight engagements with nimble crafts will simply be death by a thousand cuts for you.

GETTING PUNCHED IN THE FACE
Barring perfect setups, count on taking hits - possibly quite a few. An evasive wizard, this is not - once contact has been made (and cannot be broken) you need to last long enough to catch that mistake, or make it back to allies. You are also an excellent GA hunter; unlike heavies, your altitude sacrifices aren’t as pronounced (and they are excellent mg targets until you earn those cannons). You’ve got one of, if not the highest health pool of all the tier 7 MR’s & below, and share the highest HP regen at a cap of 40%.

With all this in mind, I am now running:

Improved Covering (more HP, less crits)
Engine tuning
Concealing livery

Engine Guru
Defensive Expert
Marksman (going to switch to Resilience like a crazy person when I get the next skill point)

Control surface trim
Pneumatic restarter
Reinforced control surface

Will update again, maybe get a video up eventually as the grind continues.

I just finished that brutal grind and these are pretty much the things I did for the most part. +1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users