1 week until CBT, whats the control status?

keyboard mouse keyboard and mouse joystick

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

_Smitty #21 Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:05 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
They also need to optimize it because when I finally load in the map I'm either dead or being shot at.

Paradoxxxon #22 Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:05 PM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles

View PostGyarados, on 31 May 2012 - 07:10 AM, said:

The whole reason I haven't been playing this game (along with a few others that I know) is because of how bad the controls are. When I saw that it was going to CBT, I was rather confused, since these issues haven't been properly addressed. I am hoping they eventually fix them and I have some ideas of my own, but the main problem is that they seem to take only one command at a time, and that one command is executed (such as pulling back on the Y-axis) and it stays...without correcting itself like nearly every other game I've seen.

Exactly same to me !!!

I do REALLY want to like this game, but actually i HATE it because of those sluggish controls !!!

And to be honest:

Making a FLIGHT game extremly INTUITIVE to handle is the MOST important part when creating an arcade style flight sim...
And curiously, i have much lesser probs to aim and shoot down planes in extreme HARDCORE sims like Rise of Flight, where you can feel every part of your plane as in this sluggish, mushy arcade game !! And it should be opposite

HTRK74JR #23 Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:01 PM

Someone insults me again, they will not fear death.

• Alpha tester
  • 12 battles
  • [LOAD] LOAD
i did about 5 matyches yesterday, and i actually got a few kils. the way they did the mouse controls i like, i was thinking it could be tweaked, it not be so sensitive if zoomed in for instance, but i coud fly alot better than i could in alpha

Gyarados #24 Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:53 PM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER
They definitely improved the controls, but there's still just one thing that's off...I have to play more and figure it out. At this point, there's no stabilization, although that could just be an inherent disability from the input style (mouse).

EDIT: Figured it out. When rolling, it's got this wierd thing where it starts off really slowly...and then rapidly accelerates. It makes pinpoint firing nearly impossible because you're trying so hard to stabilize your craft.

VLF will no longer take to the skies. Unsure about my clan in WoWP.

HTRK74JR #25 Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:24 AM

• Alpha tester
  • 12 battles
  • [LOAD] LOAD

View PostGyarados, on 01 June 2012 - 11:53 PM, said:

They definitely improved the controls, but there's still just one thing that's off...I have to play more and figure it out. At this point, there's no stabilization, although that could just be an inherent disability from the input style (mouse).

EDIT: Figured it out. When rolling, it's got this wierd thing where it starts off really slowly...and then rapidly accelerates. It makes pinpoint firing nearly impossible because you're trying so hard to stabilize your craft.
exactly, and the mouse has an annoying habit of wanting to stay upright when flying, makes it impossible to do some escapes, other times it is helpful, but not in a dogfight when it throws off your shot

Beta_Orion #26 Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:34 AM

Senior Airman

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • [LEAP] LEAP
Started out with a Logitech Attack 3 Joystick... usually ended up dead before I could pull out of a dive.  Then I moved to a Logitech F310 GamePad... nice overall control... but was really sensitive.  I kept trying to adjust it in single battles so I wouldn't get yelled at in a match.

Gyarados #27 Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:47 AM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER
I think the acceleration that I'm experiencing is also in the vertical controls as well, but that's not as hard to figure out. I'm going to keep messing with it, eventually I'll post a set up that works for me and see if it works for others. It seems like the current set up is really meant for people can focus completely on flying and not on combat at all.

Don't get me wrong, controls with a flight game are extremely difficult, so it just takes time to figure out and with a small community playing, it's nearly impossible to pinpoint it. There's also that with this game, there are multiple control inputs (mouse, joystick, and gamepad) whereas most games only have one (K + M).

EDIT: Curiosity, is it still considering breaking the NDA if I put up a video, make it unlisted (so only those with the link can see it), so I can show what I'm talking about?

VLF will no longer take to the skies. Unsure about my clan in WoWP.

DracoArgentum #28 Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:40 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • [IOC] IOC
Please, please, please revert the controls to 0.2.4 Flying feels painful in 0.3

The roll accelleration is really annoying. The lack of 90 degree bank in mouse turns is frustrating. I simply can't make the turns that joystick users are pulling off.

0.3 is a step backwards, 0.2.4 would be a better base to work on. Back then the aircraft felt more flyable, even if the lack of full bank was there.

HTRK74JR #29 Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:46 PM

• Alpha tester
  • 12 battles
  • [LOAD] LOAD

View PostGyarados, on 02 June 2012 - 03:47 AM, said:

I think the acceleration that I'm experiencing is also in the vertical controls as well, but that's not as hard to figure out. I'm going to keep messing with it, eventually I'll post a set up that works for me and see if it works for others. It seems like the current set up is really meant for people can focus completely on flying and not on combat at all.

Don't get me wrong, controls with a flight game are extremely difficult, so it just takes time to figure out and with a small community playing, it's nearly impossible to pinpoint it. There's also that with this game, there are multiple control inputs (mouse, joystick, and gamepad) whereas most games only have one (K + M).

EDIT: Curiosity, is it still considering breaking the NDA if I put up a video, make it unlisted (so only those with the link can see it), so I can show what I'm talking about?
more than likely it would be an nda breach, most video sharing site are easily hacked

Oddzball #30 Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:33 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Frnakly the joystick controls are horribly mushy.

Its the way the curve is setup. Its got little to no movement for the first 70% of the stick, then it goes crazy the last 80-100%.

THis causes you to jerk your nose up when trying to make small adjustments.

They should do what Monday night combat did.

It artificially slows the cursor down a tiny bit when you line up with a target. that would prevent the up and down jerkyness when trying to line up a shot.

RynoSuperman #31 Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:06 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [AFD] AFD
BF3 has mouse controls set right, cant WoWP have the same controls please?

Balddik #32 Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:28 PM

Airman Basic

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • [-R-] -R-
I dont understand a lot of other games have way better arcade style controls. And this game is supposed to be an arcade style, yet its harder to fly than some flying sim games.

In this game it feels like your plane is tied on to a rubber band. And you have to fling the plane with the rubber band in the direction you want it to go. Then all of a sudden the rubber band effect takes place and pulls your plane closer to green circle. Then forget about trying to track your enemy with the gun cursor. Your to busy fighting with the rubberband. It even looks physically that its like  on a rubber band. With that green arrow leading to the green circle.

The reason it feels like a rubber band is because, the plane is trying to catch up and meet with its center cursor (or gun cursor) to the green circle.
Imagine jetskies(plane) tied to a boat(green circle) and instead of a rope its a rubber band. When the boat(green circle) turns ( in this case you move it on the screen) it flings the guy on the jetskies(plane)  to the side. But then the rubber band  pulls the jetskies towards the boat(green cirlce). With all this your trying to pin point your shots on the guy your chasing. But the damn rubber band effect makes it really hard to pin point.
The reason its hard to pin point if you still dont understand is because;

You can do two things:
1.  The plane you are chasing you can use your green circle and try to follow it with the enemy plane. Making your plane wait to catch up and line up to the green circle. Which is centered on the enemy plane. The problem with doing this is. The plane will never catch up in time  to green circle because you keep moving it and adjusting it, cuz the guy your chasing is moving. (unless the enemy plane is making wide slow turns and is mostly in front of you) So what you end up doing is you go to the second option.
2. Enemy plane turns left and right trying to outmanuever you. So you move the green circle as far as you can to that side so it will turn more. But then you end up over shooting the enemy plane so you move it far to the oppiside side now. And at the same time your plane is rolling. And they cycle begins. Where your in the boat trying to control the jetskies that are tied to the boat with a rubber-band or a really elastic rope. But with this your not on the water. But in skies where you can go in any direction.

I remember playing BF:1942 with ww2 planes even the jet ones in the expansion pack. I had real fun playing it. The way they had it there is. Imagine a stick coming out from the center of your planes nose. So where ever you point the stick so does your plane. Because the stick is not elastic. Why not have it like that? It works why change it, for this game.

I as sure as hell wont be buying a joystick just for this game for being an arcade style game. Because I know they can make the mouse controls better. Its been done before with other games. One I already mentioned. Wargaming can do it too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users