1 week until CBT, whats the control status?

keyboard mouse keyboard and mouse joystick

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

HTRK74JR #1 Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:02 AM

Someone insults me again, they will not fear death.

• Alpha tester
  • 12 battles
  • [LOAD] LOAD
With CBT in 1 week, what is the status on the control systems? i still cant fly and aim worth anything with the keyboad and mouse, and people still are having problems with their joysticks. since the newest build of alpha, the control problems have been worse. with only 1 week, the cbt will see a HUGE decrease in population if no-one can fly their planes!

DeathEater82 #2 Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:25 AM

Dovahkiin

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
I went here. This helped me!
Now I can fly like I used to.
(I fly a joystick, dunno if it would help you, but you might as well give it a shot.)

Edited by DeathEater82, 25 May 2012 - 02:26 AM.

R.I.P WoWp Alpha: May 31, 2012

Isrum #3 Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:25 AM

Airman Basic

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
only one week till CB

Isrum #4 Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:25 AM

Airman Basic

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
only one week till CB

WarpStorm #5 Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:48 AM

Senior Airman

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles

View PostDeathEater82, on 25 May 2012 - 02:25 AM, said:

I went here. This helped me!
Now I can fly like I used to.
(I fly a joystick, dunno if it would help you, but you might as well give it a shot.)

That didn't seem to help much.  I can fly ok with a game pad but its touch and go sometimes.  Using the joystick feels like I really have to crank at it to make the plane respond.  As if I were lagging out and not getting information sent back and forth between me and the server.  I've tweaked and configured my stick in every way I can come up with, but it still feels laggy and unresponsive.  I'm only getting like 100 ping, and on low 130+FPS on high round 40+FPS,  the ping isn't anything worth noting really.  

Hard to explain how I feel about this over all, but when I tell the plane to turn right, it should turn right.   When I gently move the stick right it should gently move right.  But to get a gental turn or any turn I have to crank it all the way over.  It isn't impossiable to do anything, just very slugish and feels wrong in a way.

GrouchySmurf #6 Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 7 battles
  • [-D_D-] -D_D-

View PostWarpStorm, on 25 May 2012 - 06:48 AM, said:

That didn't seem to help much.  I can fly ok with a game pad but its touch and go sometimes.  Using the joystick feels like I really have to crank at it to make the plane respond.  As if I were lagging out and not getting information sent back and forth between me and the server.  I've tweaked and configured my stick in every way I can come up with, but it still feels laggy and unresponsive.  I'm only getting like 100 ping, and on low 130+FPS on high round 40+FPS,  the ping isn't anything worth noting really.  

Hard to explain how I feel about this over all, but when I tell the plane to turn right, it should turn right.   When I gently move the stick right it should gently move right.  But to get a gental turn or any turn I have to crank it all the way over.  It isn't impossiable to do anything, just very slugish and feels wrong in a way.
Under controls theres a small drop down on the left, make it say standard NOT JOYSTICK, then remap your JS keys and you should have MUCH more control. See you in the skies!! :Smile_izmena:
P.S on a different note I agree with the original OP, I think its too soon for CBT, due to a multitude of reasons which i will go over in another post...

Edited by GrouchySmurf, 25 May 2012 - 02:08 PM.

By The Time You See Me On Your 6, You've Already Been Smurfed!!!!

BurntoutHippie #7 Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 110 battles
  • [_C_] _C_

View PostGrouchySmurf, on 25 May 2012 - 02:05 PM, said:

Under controls theres a small drop down on the left, make it say standard NOT JOYSTICK, then remap your JS keys and you should have MUCH more control. See you in the skies!! :Smile_izmena:
P.S on a different note I agree with the original OP, I think its too soon for CBT, due to a multitude of reasons which i will go over in another post...

I have tried this myself to no avail, the controls are "mushy," Imagine a circle, then imagine inside that circle there is a smaller one that is 10% smaller than the first circle. I only have control within that 10% range of the two cirlces the entire smaller circle is deadzone with no reaction from the stick until i reach the outer edges of the small circle. I NEVER had any problems with controls until this 2.5 patch, even when everyone else was having problems all i had to do was plug in the first time and the controls were perfect. I think those that have more advanced sticks with installed software have more options to adjust, but those of us that have average plug and play sticks don't have all of the advanced adjustment options and the ingame adjustments just seem to make things worse for me.

Spoiler

eug_dirtbag #8 Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:26 PM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
The change to Standard worked for me, but who is going to start there with a joystick problem.  I feel your pain when I used Joystick, I would get gentle movements then instantly full on as if I had moved the stick to the edge of the control range.  It made things almost uncontrollable.

I find both sensitivity and deadzones still pretty iffy.

I was very surprised at the closed beta announcement, this game is not really ready yet.

HTRK74JR #9 Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

• Alpha tester
  • 12 battles
  • [LOAD] LOAD
the problem is that they multitude of gamers will be casual, and will be using the mouse and keyboard controls. sure there are people that are going to go and buy joysticks and such, but if the people are casual gamers, they will use the mouse, and as of now, its such a crappy way to fly for most of us, its just unusable. the game is not ready to get out of alpha, but CBT will stress the servers, add new players, and will make it so that they can fix the problems before OBT. the only problem will be NDA breaches, but im sure the mods will recruit a few people to assist with that.

WarpStorm #10 Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:13 PM

Senior Airman

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles

View PostHTRK74JR, on 25 May 2012 - 07:41 PM, said:

the problem is that they multitude of gamers will be casual, and will be using the mouse and keyboard controls. sure there are people that are going to go and buy joysticks and such, but if the people are casual gamers, they will use the mouse, and as of now, its such a crappy way to fly for most of us, its just unusable. the game is not ready to get out of alpha, but CBT will stress the servers, add new players, and will make it so that they can fix the problems before OBT. the only problem will be NDA breaches, but im sure the mods will recruit a few people to assist with that.

I agree with you here HTRK74JR, there is a good number of hardcore sim players that have good equ for flight sims.  There are also a fair number of console gamers with controlers that work for them.  But the largest group of people that will come to play are going to be those that are basic users.   There is absoultly nothing wrong with that group of players, they are the largest group of gamers there is.  Hardcore "whatever" gamers are numerous true, but they tend to stick to there speciality.  The basic guys will join any game for the fun of the game, and the fun of the team work.  But if the basic controls for the said game, are not up to what they would consider acceptable, then they are not going to stick it out.  
But because I don't have the spefics on the control setup and how they are coded to work with the game inputs, and server inputs.  I can't say exactly how they could be adjusted to make it easier to use.  Its a tough thing to really troubleshoot well.   We all know there is something wrong with the current control setup, we know it needs to be adjusted to be more friendly to the average users.  But how exactly do we go about doing that?  Were the Alpha testers, we should have numerious ideas and thoughts amongst all of us here.  Why don't we start listing down some of the biggest concerns we have based on the current setup.  How  could it be changed to work better?  Is control of the plane better server side, or client side?  What sort of setup would the most average of user perfer to use and be most comfortable using?

HZero #11 Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 400 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Have to agree with the OP.  I'll give you a good example.  Try pulling a simple loop, and see if you can gauge where the top of the loop is...its almost impossible to do, as the plane and controls seem to respond the same at every point in the loop, rather than the gradual drop off in airspeed you would expect.  I assume some of that is to simplify flying for basic users, but it makes the controls....well, what did someone say above? "Mushy?"

Sensitivity is one thing, but the response speed to the stick should be based in part on the plane's performance too, and not just where you set the stick's control's at.

Dreaming of better days.  When this game had full matches, fiery dogfights, and hope for the future.

Jinxed_Katajainen #12 Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:46 PM

Feedback Airedale

• Alpha tester
  • 47 battles

View PostBurntoutHippie, on 25 May 2012 - 02:51 PM, said:

I think those that have more advanced sticks with installed software have more options to adjust, but those of us that have average plug and play sticks don't have all of the advanced adjustment options and the ingame adjustments just seem to make things worse for me.

I would have imagined all sticks would come with some kind of software.
But I can attest the external and in-game settings... they seem to conflict with each other or don't work in concert as I had a problem with my throttle where clicking the 'invert' box in-game did not invert it but inverting in my Logitech joystick panel made it invert to the way I was accustomed to.  Then I tried toggling the invert in game and it wouldn't switch back to the 'wrong' way for me.

The deadzone issue is not present for me.... the minutest movement from my stick makes my plane turn, so I'm thinking a poll may be in order on who uses what joystick and if they see the giant deadzone even after taking the suggested steps given by other testers.

DracoArgentum #13 Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:40 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • [IOC] IOC
I actually like the mouse setup a lot. The two problems are its very lag sensitive, becoming uncontrollable because it gives spurious inputs to the game. The other is that when you bank and turn it only banks 45 instead of 90, which seems to result in a wider turn than a joystick would pull off. I can use the kb to add more bank but its very imprecise and seems to revert to 45 anyway.

HZero #14 Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 400 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostDracoArgentum, on 26 May 2012 - 01:40 AM, said:

I actually like the mouse setup a lot. The two problems are its very lag sensitive, becoming uncontrollable because it gives spurious inputs to the game. The other is that when you bank and turn it only banks 45 instead of 90, which seems to result in a wider turn than a joystick would pull off. I can use the kb to add more bank but its very imprecise and seems to revert to 45 anyway.

This, thank you for putting it into words.  Its reallly hard to get a nice tight turn with the mouse and keyboard set up.

Dreaming of better days.  When this game had full matches, fiery dogfights, and hope for the future.

Avynte #15 Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:07 AM

Airman Basic

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • [WANG] WANG

View PostDracoArgentum, on 26 May 2012 - 01:40 AM, said:

Agreed, the mouse and KB setup seems really nice for finer aiming, but the occasional bouts of total wonkiness, especially with a small amount of lag, really make it uncomfortable to fly with.

eug_dirtbag #16 Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
I have tested with mouse and keyboard all along, the current setup is definitively off though.  I have been very busy with work so I have not had a chance to mess with all the options, but I find the mouse much less precise since the last patch.  I ping around 120, and this was not an issue before, I could be very effective with a mouse.

HTRK74JR #17 Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:44 PM

• Alpha tester
  • 12 battles
  • [LOAD] LOAD
OK 2 deays until CBT, and how are the controls? i havent been able to play the last couple of days due to wrk, school, and grinding in WoT, and as such, with only a few days left, idk people.

Acesfury #18 Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:54 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
I find the joystick controls are still all-or-nothing type flying, it doesn't seem to have a smooth sequencial increase in turn based on the amount of "crank" you give the Joystick.

As for the Mouse controls they are still very annoying. I personally miss the old mouse controls from around early march.

For those having the 45 degree instead of 90 problem, check to ensure your "Slip Correction" toggle is disabled. you may find this will help you.

I can understand WG's desire to get into CBT but i think the MOST important issue atm is the Smoke compression. In general smoke causes 90% of the lag all pilots experience. Even with the smoke disabled, using a method discovered a few weeks ago by a AT's (can't remember who or where), the data of the Smoke is STILL computed and thus the lag it causes remains.

This issue MUST be delt with and resolved ASAP or Tester turn- over will continue to be high.
NOTE: based on my last report of this issue it is possible the developers have solved this problem and will be patched for CBT but i'm not holding my breath atm.
Acesfury

"Mess with the Best, Die like... THAT COCKROACH!!!"

Gyarados #19 Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:10 AM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER
The whole reason I haven't been playing this game (along with a few others that I know) is because of how bad the controls are. When I saw that it was going to CBT, I was rather confused, since these issues haven't been properly addressed. I am hoping they eventually fix them and I have some ideas of my own, but the main problem is that they seem to take only one command at a time, and that one command is executed (such as pulling back on the Y-axis) and it stays...without correcting itself like nearly every other game I've seen.

VLF will no longer take to the skies. Unsure about my clan in WoWP.

HTRK74JR #20 Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:05 PM

• Alpha tester
  • 12 battles
  • [LOAD] LOAD
exacttly, thats why i havent been playing. by the time i get home the game will be up and running, and ill log on so people can see a regular from the forums. but we will start seeing really quickly "how do i fix my controls?" "wow, i cant fly worth crap" "dude, this sucks" "i give up on the controls,,,"

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users