Returning to 2.0, what’s changed?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

LeastWeasel #1 Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:18 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 429 battles

Hey all - on a whim, I’ve come back to WoWP after more than a year’s absence, and a lot has changed... I’m currently plowing through as much of the forums as I can, and exploring the newish game I see before me. If anyone can offer up a quick summation, I just want to know what’s most changed - namely the state & effect of altitude bands, BnZ, turnfighting, and the like. Has the distinction between the aforementioned increased, or blurred? 

You know, or any other words of wisdom for a returning pilot. 

Oho, and bombsights are gone for GA?

LMG #2 Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1402 battles

Ok, let's see...

• Instead of altitude bands, planes perform best within their optimal altitude range. Once you go past it, performance degrades the further up you go. There's no penalty to flying low, just to flying high.
  • BnZ is not as favored lately, but I've been having some success with horizontal BnZ on my Corsair and Tornado. Maybe give it a try and see how you feel about it.
  • TnB is what most people prefer lately. Most notably, a lot of players enjoy the spitfire line.

Aside of that, WG did indeed remove the strafing camera for GAAs (even though it's still in the keybindings), though you still get an indicator of where the bomb will land. It's supposed to turn orange/yellow when over a target, but it only works for Bombers atm. If you need some ground pounding guidelines, I made a Basics guide some time ago. There's also the new Conquest mode, which plays a lot different to what we used to have, plus two new game modes that were available during the current event. The event ends this weekend with Attrition, which is a more "understandable" game mode than Conquest. The other one you missed was Invasion, which was a bit of a mess for the most part :sceptic:

Edited by LMG, 05 April 2018 - 06:30 PM.

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

LeastWeasel #3 Posted 05 April 2018 - 07:46 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 429 battles

Hey, thanks! Just read through your GA guide earlier today, was a good help (stepping back in to Attack planes with a stock JU 87 was a bit confounding at first - back to the IL tonight). 

So, with the penalty to low alt gone, I am assuming the rus/ijn tnb’s are insanely nimble to compensate?

LMG #4 Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1402 battles

View PostLeastWeasel, on 05 April 2018 - 02:46 PM, said:

Hey, thanks! Just read through your GA guide earlier today, was a good help (stepping back in to Attack planes with a stock JU 87 was a bit confounding at first - back to the IL tonight). 

So, with the penalty to low alt gone, I am assuming the rus/ijn tnb’s are insanely nimble to compensate?

They turn very well for the most part, though they usually can't climb as well or go as fast as other aircraft. Your usual "give some, take some" balance shenanigans :bajan:
This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

comtedumas #5 Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:39 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 3891 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostLeastWeasel, on 05 April 2018 - 01:18 PM, said:

Hey all - on a whim, I’ve come back to WoWP after more than a year’s absence, and a lot has changed... I’m currently plowing through as much of the forums as I can, and exploring the newish game I see before me. If anyone can offer up a quick summation, I just want to know what’s most changed - namely the state & effect of altitude bands, BnZ, turnfighting, and the like. Has the distinction between the aforementioned increased, or blurred? 

Bombers as a class are new as well.  

Chuck_norris10 #6 Posted 06 April 2018 - 12:28 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 33 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP

Good luck,it's not the same game you left,they tried to make it like warthunder and the populations so low now they wont even post how many are online.

Edited by Chuck_norris10, 06 April 2018 - 12:29 AM.

AppleTank8 #7 Posted 06 April 2018 - 12:49 AM

Senior Airman

• 620 battles
  • [WOWP] WOWP

View PostLeastWeasel, on 05 April 2018 - 06:18 PM, said:

https://docs.google....=h.yjuxg5t1zl1o

A basic guide for random stuff WG doesn't say but probably should

ArrowZ_ #8 Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:59 AM

First Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 432 battles
  • Altitude bands in 2.0 are more compressed. Climb rates absurdly inflated for all aircrafts - not sure if GA is also affected but I would take a guess they are also in the same boat. It's much easier to close the gap with zooming aircraft now on the climb because of this. Makes BnZ more challenging (read below)

• BnZ is "nerfed" or at the very least reduced in its effectiveness as the dominant tactic as it once was in 1.x. With conquest in 2.0 BnZ is the least likely tactic to win most matches but can still be done with more difficulties. In the end it takes you out more in the fight than it needs to since you need to contribute in taking sectors & holding them.

• Turnfighting or TnB is the current meta for 2.0. Spitfires, Zeros, KIs, LAs, Yaks you name it are all 2.0 favourites for plane choices with conquest.

Most important advice anyone can tell you: Learn the new modes (especially conquest) first before diving into your aircrafts as that will help give you an idea where you can start your grind, start earning silvers/exp, acquire a particular playstyle that you like etc. 

Edited by ArrowZ_, 06 April 2018 - 04:01 AM.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

WOWP 2.0 Videos Playlist

MARS_REVENANT #9 Posted 06 April 2018 - 05:32 AM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 2978 battles

View PostLeastWeasel, on 05 April 2018 - 01:18 PM, said:

Watch my streams and ask questions whilst I am in  battle.... So much to explain

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

TWITCH  |  YOUTUBE  |  FACEBOOK  |  TWITTER

trikke #10 Posted 06 April 2018 - 12:01 PM

• 1501 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

there's good news and bad news...

good news - the forum is the same-ish

bad news - the number of human pilots are the same-ish

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

LeastWeasel #11 Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:01 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 429 battles

Well, it’s been a good few days getting back in to the game - and it seems like the player numbers are low; often only 2 per side...

anyways, still trying to find my preferred tech lines again - coming back to a stock f4u-4 & an incomplete sense of how american multiroles fit in to the meta/mode of the current game has been challenging. Funny, last time I was here, BnZ was king & I had decided to push the Zero & Spitfire lines... now that fortunes have flipped, I’m trying to decide between the german heavies & the corsair line.... and of course, a preferred GA line (at the IL-8, messing with the currently-disappointing Stuka)

SpiritFoxMY #12 Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1325 battles

View PostLeastWeasel, on 06 April 2018 - 04:01 PM, said:

Well, it’s been a good few days getting back in to the game - and it seems like the player numbers are low; often only 2 per side...

anyways, still trying to find my preferred tech lines again - coming back to a stock f4u-4 & an incomplete sense of how american multiroles fit in to the meta/mode of the current game has been challenging. Funny, last time I was here, BnZ was king & I had decided to push the Zero & Spitfire lines... now that fortunes have flipped, I’m trying to decide between the german heavies & the corsair line.... and of course, a preferred GA line (at the IL-8, messing with the currently-disappointing Stuka)

The German GAAs don't pick up until tier 7 IMO. I would suggest going for the German multirole Fw190 line: that bunch ends in some interesting airplanes that are really, really fun to fly (I just realized my B.V 212.03 is now the first plane in my lineup with five kill marks!). Corsairs are great little airplanes too. German heavies are really fun up until the Me262 which is just a pain in the [edited]to fly.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

PostTraumatic #13 Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:39 PM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1300 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN

I mostly gave up on multi-role planes for the most part and fly fighters for T&B.  Altitude is important.  

Many of the planes stats were altered.  you should look closely at Current stats before you go forth.  Hit me up if you have questions

Good Luck and WB

Edited by PostTraumatic, 06 April 2018 - 04:41 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users