New Player Questions

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Gideon2016 #1 Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:17 PM

Airman Basic

• 477 battles
  • [E-WAR] E-WAR

I am anew player and have a few questions.

• ​Is the Wiki updated for this game?
  • Are there any good yotubers for this game?
  • Is camouflage worth anything in this game?

​Thank toy

MacDaddyMatty #2 Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:25 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 383 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

Welcome.

I'm new too.

Good questions.

+1

▌▌ clanDDAY.com  ▌▌

A bunch of WoT players who occasionally get shot up by bots in WoWP:

▌▌  WoWP Clan   ▌▌

wscarter007 #3 Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:56 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2983 battles
  • [JG52] JG52
Wiki has not been updated in a long time.  There are many you tubers,  Zem from shrike gaming, Bjorn, SirTenDeath,  hyrule,  s_l_a_y, and others make awesome videos (others not mentioned I can't spell their names right) . Camouflage is only good for bombers and ground attack aircraft helps a few less AA hits.  Welcome aboard most importantly have fun. 

NorthernPorter #4 Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:50 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha Test Veteran
  • 1227 battles

View PostGideon2016, on 29 March 2018 - 07:17 AM, said:

1. ​Is the Wiki updated for this game?

2. Are there any good yotubers for this game?

3. Is camouflage worth anything in this game?​

Hi! And welcome to the game, hope to see you in the skies soon!

1. I don't think the wiki has been updated in some time. I usually go to the game website for info on the planes: https://worldofwarpl....com/warplanes/

2. There are a bunch of youtubers and streamers for the game. The two I follow most are: SirTenDeath & Akirishin

3. Yes, I believe it does help a bit, so long as you select the one that is suggested for the given climate. You have to either stay real low or real high above the action for it to help. Plus it's relatively cheap if you just select the 7 day rental and I think most of them look pretty cool!

pyantoryng #5 Posted 29 March 2018 - 02:33 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1303 battles

Wiki is basically dilapidated due to the chronic shortage of players and nobody stepped up to maintain it. If you want to know anything, ask around in the forums.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

soslo #6 Posted 29 March 2018 - 03:24 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 165 battles
  • [1CAN] 1CAN

Welcome! There are quite a few YT'ers that post their stuff here in the forums so keep an eye out. Most put their content somewhere in here

http://forum.worldof...-and-tutorials/

A couple of twitch streamers I like;

https://www.twitch.tv/iikiibuu

https://www.twitch.tv/skullmember

https://www.twitch.tv/blarney_j

https://www.twitch.tv/algernonftw

https://www.twitch.tv/starshield_na

Happy hunting!

The_Wild_Weasel #7 Posted 29 March 2018 - 04:25 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1571 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

Welcome !

Have fun and bring friends!.....

slapped

Gideon2016 #8 Posted 29 March 2018 - 04:42 PM

Airman Basic

• 477 battles
  • [E-WAR] E-WAR
Thanks for the answers.

trikke #9 Posted 03 April 2018 - 01:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1609 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

welcome and enjoy the game!

i'm so sorry that there is no sandbox for new pilots, so that they can learn to fly the different styles of planes before being thrown in alongside high time highly skilled pilots

who are escaping the mandatory weekend campaign battles that many don't care for...  (but not me personally, i like 'em all)

tier one and two are mostly low time pilots, but tier three definitely will have more deadly killers than normal in it during the Invasion and Attrition campaign time slots

the Sat-Sun campaigns end in a week or two, so tiers one through three should generally be clear after that on the weekends, and of course all during the week

you'll have to master four things concurrently to win battles:  learn to fly as a team, use your bots, kill quickly, and to capture bases quickly

and please... after you learn the basics, offer to flight up using voice comms with new people

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Wombatmetal #10 Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:45 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 750 battles

Another streamer to checkout is Mars_Revenant

https://www.twitch.tv/mars_revenant

Mars will generally fly any plane you want, and talk setup. So if you are going a particular line,  he can show you the plane. Or, which I found helpful, he will show you the high tier planes to see if the time investment for the line is worthwhile. 

SgtSchlautter #11 Posted 04 April 2018 - 02:36 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2667 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR
One YouTuber I really enjoy watching is Prince of Hyrule and Shrike Gaming. Both do a great job explaining why they make the choices that they do during battle and are knowledgeable about the game.

AppleTank8 #12 Posted 08 April 2018 - 06:59 PM

Senior Airman

• 657 battles
  • [WOWP] WOWP

I have a guide in my signature, it should help some.

Regarding camo... not much. Does it reduce your spospott range? Yes, but in this game of cap zones, you're going to be seen anyways.  Spending time floating about means you're not contributing to the game. Unless you're talking about the AA paint equipment. If you feel that AA guns are a major annoyance, sure.

trikke #13 Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1609 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

even if your camo is 'working' and you cannot be seen visually by any players on the other team...

the game will blip you quickly in the radar view and the tab map view whenever you cause some damage, your arrowhead icon will be visible for about one second

your team can see you all of the time

Lambo805 #14 Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:26 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• -Community Ace-
  • 1192 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

See's a SoSlo comment

:great:

Wait a second...rude.

:izmena:

At any rate, Twitch has several fantastic EU and NA Warplanes streamers. Their locale is mostly irrelevant because you can learn a lot from watching guys like Mars_Revenant, Iikiibuu, Skullmember, etc. At any given time there's usually 1 or 2 live.  The best way to find YouTube videos would be to watch the forums for posts, check reddit, or just search YouTube directly. Example: World of Warplanes XF-85 will return some options for you.

As far as the wiki, I honestly don't know. I use a relatively up to date spreadsheet for figuring out skills and equipment I need on my aircraft, and base the rest I need to know on my personal knowledge of the planes historically (usually a mistake) and comparing stats in game.  You can find the spreadsheet here: https://docs.google....gid=333511782  

Keep in mind, the spreadsheet is more of a guideline than a rule. Feel free to modify your planes as you see fit.

Camo in this game provides concealment from detection as in World of Tanks and World of Warships, however concealment is not a necessity, so I just make my planes 'pretty' as I see fit, and move along. Don't feel like you *have* to have camo, but also don't feel that you're wasting gold/credits on it either, it does help and if nothing else makes your plane easier on the eyes as some are quite...drab...in their default 'skin'.

Me: "It's not bragging if you can do it!"

My tombstone: He was bragging.

Cirran #15 Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:13 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 29 battles
  • [SHAB] SHAB

New pilot here, didn't want to start a new thread. Am I correct in my understanding that there is nothing keeping a veteran pilot from ruining my flights as I learn to fly in tier 1? If so I can see why this is such a low pop game.

Cirran

Edit: Just had a handful of games where I spawn get ganked then respawn and get ganked again. 400 to 36 score games is no fun.

Edited by Cirran, 30 April 2018 - 01:17 AM.

If you love something set it free. If it dont come back then hunt it down and kill it.
Never ever under estimate the power of large groups of stupid people.
It is not kiills that get you paid, it is damage that gets you paid.
Swede Vejtasa, Pappy Boyington, Robert Johnson, and MANY other WWII flyers. You are my heros. Thank you.

SpiritFoxMY #16 Posted 30 April 2018 - 02:12 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1549 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostCirran, on 30 April 2018 - 01:13 AM, said:

New pilot here, didn't want to start a new thread. Am I correct in my understanding that there is nothing keeping a veteran pilot from ruining my flights as I learn to fly in tier 1? If so I can see why this is such a low pop game.

Cirran

Edit: Just had a handful of games where I spawn get ganked then respawn and get ganked again. 400 to 36 score games is no fun.

Unfortunately there really is nothing stopping people from doing that except other vets. Hit us up, add us to your friends list and arrange a flight! There are many here who would gladly take a chance to murder a sealclubber.

Especially if said sealclubber likes waffles.  

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Cirran #17 Posted 30 April 2018 - 04:03 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 29 battles
  • [SHAB] SHAB

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 29 April 2018 - 06:12 PM, said:

Unfortunately there really is nothing stopping people from doing that except other vets. Hit us up, add us to your friends list and arrange a flight! There are many here who would gladly take a chance to murder a sealclubber.

Especially if said sealclubber likes waffles.  

​I apologize, it is really frustrating to try and figure out how to crawl before I run so to speak and obviously MUCH better players crap all over you. I know I know it is PvP. Thank you for the kind offer. I will persevere and do my best. I know I have the closed beta tester tag, but I only flew against the bots and hated the controls. I felt the bots were just toying with me. I swore I would never play the game again. I heard that they had changed the game. I thought I would give it another try. I like how things are now compared to then. I can only hope the "fun" flights will out number the not fun flights. I also will never understand why WG lets much better players feast on horribads like myself. It will only drive new players away. With the population of this game I don't see how that is a good thing.

Again, thank you for the kind offer.

Cirran

Edited by Cirran, 30 April 2018 - 04:04 AM.

If you love something set it free. If it dont come back then hunt it down and kill it.
Never ever under estimate the power of large groups of stupid people.
It is not kiills that get you paid, it is damage that gets you paid.
Swede Vejtasa, Pappy Boyington, Robert Johnson, and MANY other WWII flyers. You are my heros. Thank you.

SpiritFoxMY #18 Posted 30 April 2018 - 04:18 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1549 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

One of the sillier things in Warplanes is the Daily Missions set which requires, among other things, that players complete tasks within certain tier brackets: 1 - 4, 5 - 7 and 8 - 10. As you might imagine, this results in a lot of Vets dropping into tier 2 - 4 matches just to complete the low tier brackets.

It's silly but that's how the game is set up so... yeah, hit us up for a flight if you need help. I operate in the +8 timezone so if that doesn't work for you, check with your clan or just hang around a bit on the forums :p lots of willing hands here

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

trikke #19 Posted 30 April 2018 - 02:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1609 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostCirran, on 29 April 2018 - 11:03 PM, said:

I also will never understand why WG lets much better players feast on horribads like myself. It will only drive new players away. With the population of this game I don't see how that is a good thing.

me neither...   

i just suppose that it's a russian thing, but i really have nothing to base that comment on

but if it really turns out to be a russian cultural thing, that's just not a smart decision for a world-wide game

my opinion, of course

LMG #20 Posted 30 April 2018 - 03:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1488 battles
Personally idk how they would control it without blocking off access completely, and that can cause many problems by itself
This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

23 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users