Maps Are TOO Big for Lower Tiers and Sector Placement

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

SgtSchlautter #1 Posted 28 March 2018 - 06:06 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3573 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

My issue with lower tiers is that they are too slow to really make a difference. This isn't wholly a problem, except when the time it takes to move from one sector to the next takes 2 minutes. Of course you can rack up nice scores if you reach a sector close to the enemy spawn and just camp it the whole match without dying. But if you die, then it will take 3 or more minutes to get back to the fight. That is my issue. Lower tiers should have the sectors closer together and the overall map size should be significantly decreased for tiers 1-4. As you go up the tiers and planes start to get more airspeed, this isn't really an issue. But this lower tier issue drives me CRAZY. 

One other major issue I have is with some sector placements. The water map with a command center on one team's side with an airstrip and a garrison on the other team is so broken. The sectors are too far apart at lower tiers thus creating a situation where the north team has to take the airstrip or suffer long travel times. Often, the south team takes the garrison and airstrip while the north takes the command center. Both teams finish about at the same time and start to fly towards each other. This leads to brawls in the middle of the map, outside of any sector. Why is the map set up like this? I also hate the map placement with one team getting a military base while the other gets a factory. The team with the military base almost always wins. Anywho, I've stated my side. 

Let me know your guys' take on these 2 glaring issues. Personally, I'd love to only ever see 5 sector placements as I feel those are the most dynamic and strategic. Also, I'd love to see certain maps removed for low tier rotation or simply shrunk drastically. Rant over...

ComradeZ #2 Posted 28 March 2018 - 08:45 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3310 battles
  • [FK] FK

I complained about this about a month ago and I was told to quit wining and deal with it.  What you say is true though. Severe pain in the butt to take a t3 fighter around on a map like that. With low tier bomber, I could go bathroom, get a drink and make a sandvich and only be 2/3rds to the sectors under attack.

Really ruins the game flow and makes it boring. If you die, that's more time wasted in transit to battle!

_Luca_Brasi_ #3 Posted 28 March 2018 - 08:48 AM

Airman Basic

• 508 battles
I agree that the maps should be scaled to speed or even better maps should be made for tiers 1&2, 3&4, 5/7,& 8/10.  

BuffaloTime #4 Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:10 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 6061 battles
  • [3MNKY] 3MNKY
I agree. I was in my Bsh-1 and the last un-captured sector was across the map. Never made it before timer ran out. I wanted to get out and push.

Fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark and brother, it's starting to rain.

Demons run when a good man goes to war.

MacDaddyMatty #5 Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:50 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 474 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

Yup.

1)

- hit battle button: 30-120 seconds to drop into queue.

- 30 sec count down timer

- 30-120 seconds before aerial or ground targets in range.

1.5-4.5 min from pressing battle to getting action!

It keeps me from playing sometimes because I just don't want to wait.

2)

The devs clearly put a lot of time designing the various aspects of gameplay and maps.

Unfortunately I ignore most of it because:

- the team that gets and holds the missile base wins.

- there are more bots than humans which make coordination impossible.

So a loss is well out of my control and a win feels empty.

Instead, I ignore winning or losing and just worry about having fun in dog-fights or bombing the hell out of the most contested zone (or the missile base).

YMMV

Edited by MacDaddyMatty, 28 March 2018 - 11:50 AM.

▌▌ clanDDAY.com  ▌▌

A bunch of WoT players who occasionally get shot up by bots in WoWP:

▌▌  WoWP Clan   ▌▌

MacDaddyMatty #6 Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:51 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 474 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View Post_Luca_Brasi_, on 28 March 2018 - 08:48 AM, said:

I agree that the maps should be scaled to speed or even better maps should be made for tiers 1&2, 3&4, 5/7,& 8/10. 

^^^

+1

▌▌ clanDDAY.com  ▌▌

▌▌  WoWP Clan   ▌▌

Worland #7 Posted 28 March 2018 - 12:39 PM

Master Sergeant

• 436 battles
I agree completely. Nothing like being in a low tier biplane put-putting for 3 minutes to the nearest sector.

wscarter007 #8 Posted 28 March 2018 - 01:20 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4070 battles
  • [JG52] JG52
I agree,  lower tiers should have closer sectors.  It's a turn off to a new player after dieing having to spend more time during the match flying back then engaging the enemy.

I_QQ_4_U #9 Posted 28 March 2018 - 01:52 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2108 battles
Base placement I agree with but speed effects everyone so it's not imbalancing, it just adds a different strategy to low tier games. I do have to admit there's nothing I hate more than playing a GA and flying all over the map just to get to a base as your team flips it over and over again. It almost always happens on those water maps with the bases really far apart.

pyantoryng #10 Posted 28 March 2018 - 02:17 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1670 battles

Too often, low or high in tier, I usually have enough time to alt-tab to do something else for a bit before I reach my destination...that or I fly in way too many slower planes that specialize in low altitude turnfighting... Especially true with fighters as boost doesn't last.

Although, maps that are higher than the sea level (i.e. Peripheral Mission) should be pulled outta low tier...it gimps those poor biplanes a tad too much.

Edited by pyantoryng, 28 March 2018 - 02:18 PM.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

trikke #11 Posted 28 March 2018 - 02:28 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2276 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

read what pilots had to say about RL travel times in both the ETO and PTO, if you think we've got 'problems'... 

although Archipelago does seem a bit stretched out, whenever there's no mid-map cap to fight over

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

FlakValleyExpress #12 Posted 28 March 2018 - 02:29 PM

Captain

• 31 battles
I have said that too before just as the OP mentioned. I wish WG would fix that.

1.X WoWP veteran - Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

MacDaddyMatty #13 Posted 28 March 2018 - 03:57 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 474 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View Posttrikke, on 28 March 2018 - 02:28 PM, said:

read what pilots had to say about RL travel times in both the ETO and PTO, if you think we've got 'problems'...

This is NOT real life.

It is NOT a simulator.

It IS an arcade game.

Getting to play quickly SHOULD be the #1 priority.

▌▌ clanDDAY.com  ▌▌

▌▌  WoWP Clan   ▌▌

AmericanKestrel #14 Posted 28 March 2018 - 06:39 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2857 battles
  • [-ES-] -ES-

View PostBuffaloTime, on 28 March 2018 - 06:10 AM, said:

I agree. I was in my Bsh-1 and the last un-captured sector was across the map. Never made it before timer ran out. I wanted to get out and push.

Well, they could keep the same sized maps for tier 1 - 4 and just put more bases on them.  Take over the bases closest to your spawning area and branch out.  It then becomes a contest as to who can take over their bases fastest before time runs out.  OR, go and cause trouble on their bases... It could create a whole new strategy of play.

LMG #15 Posted 28 March 2018 - 07:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2071 battles

View PostAmericanKestrel, on 28 March 2018 - 01:39 PM, said:

Well, they could keep the same sized maps for tier 1 - 4 and just put more bases on them.  Take over the bases closest to your spawning area and branch out.  It then becomes a contest as to who can take over their bases fastest before time runs out.  OR, go and cause trouble on their bases... It could create a whole new strategy of play.

From experience, bots at tier 1-3 are extremely bad at taking sectors, with tier 3-4 being somewhat capable. Without a decent player GAA or Bomber, matches at tier 3 or lower often drag out due to lack of sector capturing, sometimes being as bad as only one sector being in either team's control for most of the game. I've tried helping the bots cap, but they just die faster than I can kill everything :ohmy:

Edited by LMG, 28 March 2018 - 07:25 PM.

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

Izgoy0899 #16 Posted 30 March 2018 - 04:12 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 362 battles

View Post_Luca_Brasi_, on 28 March 2018 - 03:48 PM, said:

Well lets make sure we avoid situations like tier 5-10 playing on maps like Ensk and Mines. 

MacDaddyMatty #17 Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:09 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 474 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View Postmedoyehd, on 30 March 2018 - 04:12 AM, said:

Well lets make sure we avoid situations like tier 5-10 playing on maps like Ensk and Mines.

WoT maps in WoWP???

...that's actually very cool.

Too bad there aren't tank battles going on that we could bomb and strafe!

▌▌ clanDDAY.com  ▌▌

▌▌  WoWP Clan   ▌▌

pyantoryng #18 Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:21 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1670 battles

View PostMacDaddyMatty, on 30 March 2018 - 03:09 PM, said:

WoT maps in WoWP???

...that's actually very cool.

Fun fact: That "Scorching Sands" map is actually El Halluf. The pyramids are later additions made in 2.0, but the battleground is the old El Halluf for the most part.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

NorthernPorter #19 Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:32 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha Test Veteran
  • 1583 battles

There was also the lighthouse map that was based off the WoT map of the same name.

View PostMacDaddyMatty, on 30 March 2018 - 10:09 AM, said:

When WoWP was first announced, I thought that WG was going to be bringing airplane battles into the tank battles as well. But I was so wrong... 

MacDaddyMatty #20 Posted 30 March 2018 - 04:38 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 474 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View Postpyantoryng, on 30 March 2018 - 03:21 PM, said:

Fun fact: That "Scorching Sands" map is actually El Halluf. The pyramids are later additions made in 2.0, but the battleground is the old El Halluf for the most part.

I guess smart on the part of WG - less work creating maps.

...and stuff like this strangely makes me happy.

Big fan of anything crossover (except Aliens Vs Predator - but that could be due to the awful way they did it.)

+1

▌▌ clanDDAY.com  ▌▌

▌▌  WoWP Clan   ▌▌

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users