Loss of horizontal BnZ

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

GiN_nTonic #1 Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:29 PM

Captain

• 2473 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

Am i doing something wrong or did WG take away horizontal BnZ for light fighters and multi-role from this game?  Playing planes that relied on their ability to use speed and not maneuverability seems next to non-existent; except for HF class.  Are other's finding this to be the case?

Edited by GiN_nTonic, 27 March 2018 - 10:29 PM.

LMG #2 Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:41 PM

First Lieutenant

• 2436 battles
I've been doing horizontal BnZ pretty well on my Corsairs. However, some planes do need to use dives to get the most out of their speed, like the Bf 109 line.
This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

MARS_REVENANT #3 Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:42 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 5741 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA
Nothing can really get away feom anything. Onless you ar in a hf in a dive ang leave horizontally after the attacks.  If you try to climb away like in 1.9 you will most likely be caught.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

TWITCH  |  YOUTUBE  |  FACEBOOK  |  TWITTER

Reitousair #4 Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:55 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 14174 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR
Horizontal BnZ only really works on low-energy enemies now unless you're in an HF, yup. Now it's all about can your plane dive or can your plane climb? It can still sorta work in the MiG line against some of the slower aircraft but it's just not as effective as straight climbing or diving.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

Premium plane reviews can be found here. Special project equipment spreadsheet can be found here.

SpiritFoxMY #5 Posted 27 March 2018 - 11:04 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 6222 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
The Focke Wulf line does horizontal BnZ pretty well IMO. Haven't had problems with them. Corsair's about the same. Both have extended boost though and that's usually how I make my getaway

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

mnbv_fockewulfe #6 Posted 27 March 2018 - 11:05 PM

Captain

• 661 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

Horizontal BnZ doesn't work because of the insane acceleration due to using boost.

For exapmle: I can achieve an extra 200km/h of speed in level flight in my Ta-152. While in most cases below T8 acceleration isn't that extreme, it has a similar affect. Couple this with a halving in the time it takes for most planes to perform a 180 and you will be well within gun range as you try to boost away.

On top of that, something screwy is going on with the horizontal space in the game, it's compressed so that you have to be going faster to cover the same amount of distance as before 2.0. However, gun ranges are still calculated at an absolute value (this effectively makes gun ranges greater).

As MARS said, the best technique is to fly just below the red line of your altitude, perform a medium angle dive on your target and zoom away level while boosting or in a slight dive. While your HP will be preserved, the technique does not lend itself to the capping of sectors the current meta of the game..  

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

GiN_nTonic #7 Posted 27 March 2018 - 11:26 PM

Captain

• 2473 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 27 March 2018 - 11:05 PM, said:

On top of that, something screwy is going on with the horizontal space in the game, it's compressed so that you have to be going faster to cover the same amount of distance as before 2.0. However, gun ranges are still calculated at an absolute value (this effectively makes gun ranges greater).

As MARS said, the best technique is to fly just below the red line of your altitude, perform a medium angle dive on your target and zoom away level while boosting or in a slight dive. While your HP will be preserved, the technique does not lend itself to the capping of sectors the current meta of the game.. 

Thats interesting - and i agree - generally its felt like trying to speed away from enemies isn't nearly the defensive method it was in 1.9 (as Mars said too).  I suppose that is why planes like the Spitfires are so popular right now, as they thrive in this environment.

GiN_nTonic #8 Posted 27 March 2018 - 11:30 PM

Captain

• 2473 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View PostReitousair, on 27 March 2018 - 10:55 PM, said:

Horizontal BnZ only really works on low-energy enemies now unless you're in an HF, yup. Now it's all about can your plane dive or can your plane climb? It can still sorta work in the MiG line against some of the slower aircraft but it's just not as effective as straight climbing or diving.

Thx - I'll try the migs .... where i really miss the horizontal BnZ is F6U (previous favorite plane) and Attacker.  F-94 still does it ok, but a fraction of before.  I'm also finding the mid tier planes don't seem to have much horizontal get-away speed....again relative to 1.9

Edited by GiN_nTonic, 27 March 2018 - 11:31 PM.

ArrowZ_ #9 Posted 27 March 2018 - 11:34 PM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles
I do believe multiroles have this ability but only at low altitudes. Like the hurricanes & tornado, Corsairs, thunderbolts/thunderjets, BV series. Higher tiers around jets don't seem to matter since acceleration is boosted in insane levels - anything can keep up with ya in a dive up there. Mid tiers it seems balanced but I'll have to play more and experiment which planes can do some sort of horizontal bnz. I do know the hurricane line can do it. 2 exceptions I can think of are the Attacker & Swift LFs with their insane boost acceleration.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

PostTraumatic #10 Posted 27 March 2018 - 11:36 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1536 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN

You have times where high alt B&Z works but overall the game has shifted to low/mid altitude turn fighting and doing high B&Z Where it is efficient takes you mostly out of play.  If you try to do it at low alts the you lose energy much faster because you are out of optimal.  

I have found the game-play for players has drastically shifted after the release of 2.0 and the planes themselves were tweaked on their performance.  Thereby shifting what planes are more beneficial in this type of game vs the old game.  They hit many planes with a nerf bat. 

Any plane with a "Ki" in front of it is pretty much a killer in this release.  Also any of the 109's are deadly.  Each tier has its most effective plane for you in that particular tier.  I fly almost exclusively fighters now unless its an event going on.  

Edited by PostTraumatic, 27 March 2018 - 11:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users