Airfield With A Wrench Over It

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

xPALEHORSEx #1 Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:19 PM

Master Sergeant

• 1000 battles

Sometimes during the battle I see an airfield with a wench over the top of it.

I looked it up and all I really found was that it removes critical damage and repairs aircraft.

It seems that every time I get critical damage it repairs itself to a certain point. Maybe about 1/3 to 1/2 of full. It seems to do this regardless of where I am or what bases we have.

Therefore I really don't understand what they mean by that. Does it mean if you see the wrench you can fly over it and it will repair you to full strength? I just haven't found much.

Thanks.

LMG #2 Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1641 battles

Airbases have a ground target that can repair aircraft for the team that is in control of the Airbase. If you fly low above the "repair building" (the one marked with the wrench in the minimap) your aircraft will start repairing until you reach max hp. However, you cannot repair if you have fired your guns recently or if there are enemies nearby (though the range is very generous), and the repair building itself can be destroyed by the enemy, but it respawns if the sector is taken over by the enemy or after 2 minutes of being destroyed. Do remember that there are Airbases and Forward Airstrips; only the Airbases have the repair building

Outside of that, your aircraft will automatically repair any destroyed modules after some time (or immediately with the use of consumables), and your health regenerates if it drops to critical levels, but in that case you still have less than a quarter of your health left. Only the repair building is capable of repairing your aircraft back to full health, but damaged modules will stay damaged (aka, if you get your wing shot off and it's repaired, it'll stay slightly damaged for the rest of your sortie)

Edited by LMG, 25 March 2018 - 08:31 PM.

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

Martymart1976 #3 Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:31 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2727 battles
  • [FK] FK
Yes, the wrench means you can repair at the airfield.  Make sure you are low enough, there are no enemies near the cap, and that you are the only friendly repairing.  It will only repair one plane at a time.  Sounds like one of those conditions wasn't being met.  Also FYI...when a cap is flipped, you can destroy the repair base in the cap, it doesn't go on cool down.  If I am defending a base and it gets captured, I blow up the repair base so at least they can't repair there.  Kind of a little F U present to the reds!

pyantoryng #4 Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:37 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1469 battles

The airbase's repair pad will repair you to full and remove critical damage one at a time.

Apparently how to use the repair pad properly seems to be as secret as the secret to longevity itself...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

xPALEHORSEx #5 Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:53 PM

Master Sergeant

• 1000 battles
Thanks for the replies!

Reitousair #6 Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:05 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5548 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

Hmm, to add on the requirements for repairing, from minor experimentation in the field, it appears that you need to be 500m-750m above it before it will begin to repair and ~1km away from it at most. Going above or beyond either of those two boundary's seems to stop the repairs.

Another thing I've noticed-might be a bug actually-is that critical damage will repair, no matter what over an airbase with a repair station. I still recall assaulting a GA and having my engine and pilot get taken out almost instantly, but then they were back up almost instantly as well. Repair stations will actually repair critically damaged modules to mint condition, they actually skip over the damaged state they're left in after a while when you've suffered a crit. 

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

Wombatmetal #7 Posted 26 March 2018 - 12:39 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 754 battles
If the airfield has a fighter icon, it can't repair. If it has a bomber icon, it can. 

pyantoryng #8 Posted 26 March 2018 - 02:54 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1469 battles

View PostDestroyer_Suzukaze, on 26 March 2018 - 12:39 AM, said:

If the airfield has a fighter icon, it can't repair. If it has a bomber icon, it can. 

That's why "airSTRIP" and "airBASE" are two separate things. WoWP really needs a glossary...

...the "airFIELD", the middle ground, doesn't exist.

Edited by pyantoryng, 26 March 2018 - 02:54 AM.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

NorthernPorter #9 Posted 26 March 2018 - 02:29 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha Test Veteran
  • 1386 battles

I've found you have to drop down low, typically under 2,000', and slow down to about 100-150 mph for the repair field to start fix your craft to 100% hp and no crit damage. It gets interrupted whenever an enemy aircraft is either targeting you or you fire your guns. And then you have to wait like 10-15 sec's to "cool down" before it starts to repair again.

Like Marty mentioned it's typically a good idea to blow that ground target up first when attacking the enemy held base. It's a [edited]move and I hate it when it happens to me, but it's smart to take that opportunity away from them temporarily. WG really needs to make a tutorial about the repair fields and how to use them. (not sure if one already exists)

MARS_REVENANT #10 Posted 26 March 2018 - 02:31 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 3443 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View Postpyantoryng, on 25 March 2018 - 09:54 PM, said:

That's why "airSTRIP" and "airBASE" are two separate things. WoWP really needs a glossary...

Agree they do need a complete write up for a Game Guide.  Right now we have to read through several versions of Patch Notes(when available) and Dev Blogs.

Whats more confusing is the in-game announcer uses terminology that is not in-line with the game or mission rules.  For example, IIRC he announced "we have captured the Forward airFIELD, use this to our advantage"

Or "Enemy Bombers Detected" but the bombers dont count for missions where you need to take out the enemy team.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

TWITCH  |  YOUTUBE  |  FACEBOOK  |  TWITTER

Wombatmetal #11 Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:53 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 754 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 25 March 2018 - 06:54 PM, said:

I get that, my post was for noobs who have a lot of info to digest. Repair at the bomber icon, not at the fighter, is really all they need to play

MARS_REVENANT #12 Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:03 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 3443 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

There is a Dev Blog write up on this.

Source Link: http://blog.worldofw...ics-20-repairs/

Block Quote

Aside from the respawn mechanics that were added to the new Conquest game mode, we now have another feature that allows our players to be as efficient in battles as possible.

Continuing a battle on a damaged aircraft is, of course, a source of adrenalin and additional impetus to put all your flying and shooting skill to the test. Yet sometimes it is still ultimately a present for the enemy team who get to shoot you down easier. Moreover, quite often a player would choose to crash their riddled warbird into the ground so that they can re-enter the battle on a new one after respawn. That’s not the best use of your aircraft, which is why we implemented repair mechanics.

The game mode has two ways that your warplane can be repaired: in special zones over the airbases and “field” repair in moments when you find yourself in safety.

restore_hp_big.png

A special wrench pictogram on the airbase icon, both on the mini-map and radar, shows that the territory has a repair zone. This denotes the location of a special object, where in a 750 meter radius the player’s aircraft would be repaired if:

• The airbase is controlled by the player’s team.
  • The player’s aircraft did not take damage and did not open fire in the last 5 seconds.
  • There are no enemy aircraft within a specific range around the player’s aircraft (the range is determined by the battle level).

As soon as these conditions are met, the repair will start and will replenish 10% of the maximum HP count every second. Additionally, it will fix all critical damage to the aircraft and crew one at a time with a 3-second interval. You can check if all conditions for repair are met through a wrench pictogram next to your aircraft’s HP scale once you enter the repair zone. If it’s red then something’s not right, for instance, there might be an enemy bomber roaming overhead.

The structure responsible for repair can be destroyed. Even though the attacking team will not get capture points for it, the defending team will lose their ability to quickly return to full battle readiness. Also keep in mind that when the airbase is captured, the repair structure does not self-destruct as other objects do: if it was intact at the moment of capture it will immediately become available for the controlling team, if it was destroyed — it will respawn along with other buildings and defenders.

The second way to restore your aircraft’s HP is to leave the area of immediate combat and wait for the field repairs to start. This method will only partially restore the HP though and will not fix critical damage. There are several conditions for the field repairs to start:

• There should be no detected enemy aircraft or hostile defenders within a specific radius defined by the aircraft tier and class. The hostiles that are actually inside the radius but are concealed due to mechanics like camouflage, cloud cover etc. will be ignored.
  • The player’s aircraft is not the chosen target for AA guns.
  • The player’s aircraft has not taken damage or opened fire for 5 seconds.

shot_016_big.jpg

Different classes can restore different amounts of HP through this mechanic. Fighters will restore 40% of their HP, multirole fighters — 34%, heavies and bombers — 30%, and attack aircraft can restore up to 20% of their maximum HP count. The more heavily damaged your warplane is, the faster the initial repair will be, slowing down gradually as it approaches the maximum repair amount. 

On the one hand, this mechanic provides players with a chance to make mistakes when they misjudge their abilities in battle. They can disengage, make repairs, and re-engage the enemies. On the other hand, the aircraft “lifetime” remains valuable — you either need to dedicate some time to reach the airbase and repair fully, or be content with faster but only partial field repairs. Additionally, this further defines the differences between every aircraft class. 

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

TWITCH  |  YOUTUBE  |  FACEBOOK  |  TWITTER

xPALEHORSEx #13 Posted 28 March 2018 - 02:21 AM

Master Sergeant

• 1000 battles

Great info!!!!

Thanks everyone.

TinCan711_HK #14 Posted 30 June 2018 - 01:01 PM

Airman Basic

• 692 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-
Ya I agree with the previous comment on the need for WG to add tutorial on the repairing. I remember my first time using it ended up directly crashing the fighter to the runway, as I thought I have to land it to fix it

pyantoryng #15 Posted 30 June 2018 - 01:37 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1469 battles
Repairing is like a fine art to some...once you are used to it you can get repairs right under enemies' noses...

trikke #16 Posted 30 June 2018 - 08:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1858 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

we never found out if the repair 'force field' is cone, cylinder or dome-shaped

my vote is cylinder or even square, like the shape of the facility itself 

and i never knew why my fixes were different in other battles... 

"Different classes can restore different amounts of HP through this mechanic.

Fighters will restore 40% of their HP, multirole fighters — 34%, heavies and bombers — 30%, and attack aircraft can restore up to 20% of their maximum HP count.

The more heavily damaged your warplane is, the faster the initial repair will be, slowing down gradually as it approaches the maximum repair amount"

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

LMG #17 Posted 01 July 2018 - 07:24 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1641 battles

View Posttrikke, on 30 June 2018 - 03:12 PM, said:

we never found out if the repair 'force field' is cone, cylinder or dome-shaped

my vote is cylinder or even square, like the shape of the facility itself 

and i never knew why my fixes were different in other battles... 

"Different classes can restore different amounts of HP through this mechanic.

Fighters will restore 40% of their HP, multirole fighters — 34%, heavies and bombers — 30%, and attack aircraft can restore up to 20% of their maximum HP count.

The more heavily damaged your warplane is, the faster the initial repair will be, slowing down gradually as it approaches the maximum repair amount"

That's the auto-repair that occurs when you're at critical health. Repair Facilities on Airbases will restore 10% of your health per second, and will fully restore your plane's HP.

Hold on a second, GAAs only restore 20% of their HP? No wonder I have so many issues capturing sectors once I'm down to critical health with no Airbase! :ohmy:

Edited by LMG, 01 July 2018 - 07:25 AM.

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users