Time for a new plan

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Wombatmetal #1 Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1141 battles

I have signed up for some online college courses so my game time will be curtailed in the near future. So I'm thinking I should focus on just a couple lines to grind out. I would like to get to tier 10 eventually. 

I am also thinking one German line and one Allied line. That is simply because I have high tier premiums I can work on pilot skills with, and with the way that events may come it might be a good idea to have Axis and Allied planes

Where I am on the German side is the Me 265 (which I really like), Me 410, Fw 190 A-5, and the Bf 109B. I have the Do 335, Me 109 TL, FW190 A-8, DB Spit. and a bunch of lower levels

For the US, I am up to P51A,  P38-j, F4U-4, and the P47B. For premiums I have been planning to pick up the XP-58, I have the XP 50 and lower tier stuff

I am not a TnB pilot, I do well with energy planes. What are the top 2-3 lines I should focus on first do you think? Is this a dumb plan?

poisonousblood #2 Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:07 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5980 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

I am very satisfied with tier 9 German and US heavy but not that much with the UK.

US Heavy branch is one of the easiest for me, although I skipped the tier 6 as I jumped from the multi role branch.

UK Heavies are slow and has bad altitude performance than others.

You should also try German higher tier multi role aircraft, they are really fun to play. 

Don't get the XP-58 yet, you should try the ME 262. Short range large cannons are one of the hardest gun setup to play.

Edited by poisonousblood, 24 March 2018 - 11:09 PM.

mnbv_fockewulfe #3 Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:24 PM

Captain

• 661 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

Just grind for the plane you've always wanted to fly IRL.

That's my philosophy.

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

Dru83 #4 Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:39 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5273 battles
  • [X3M] X3M
Out of the American lines, I'd say go for the Navy multi-roles (the only US fighter/MR line with cannons) or the Heavy line (Flying Flapjack is so much fun when you finally get there). For the Germans, I'd say fly the 109 and 190 a few times each and figure out which is your favorite and focus on that. Though, If I had to make that choice, I think I'd go with the 190 line just because of wanting the BV planes which are so much fun. If you're having fun with the Me-265, stick with it. German GAs are a lot of fun even if they lack the ordnance of the Russian GAs. If you like heavies, German heavies can be fun... I've just not had a lot of success with the 262 in 2.0, so I'm not going to champion it too much. The issue with it is you have very little time to aim and the cannons are difficult to get hits with. Still fun to fly though.

pyantoryng #5 Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:19 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3173 battles

The BV210 and 212 are solid, while the 215 is just a novelty, while the prototype Focke-Wulf territory suffer from being so focused on energy that they are either undergunned or very hard to use (Ta 152 with all MK 103s, Ta 183 with obsolete weapons, Fw 252 with the mega BMW turnine but only two revolver 30mms). You may like the latter, because the BV210 and 212 are less of energy fighters and more dogfighters.

You may like the XF-90...it's way too heavy for my liking, I just prefer the Pancake and Banshee better. Most American fighters do better in energy fighting, though.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

trikke #6 Posted 25 March 2018 - 03:38 PM

Major

• 5178 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Postpoisonousblood, on 24 March 2018 - 06:07 PM, said:

Don't get the XP-58 yet, you should try the ME 262. Short range large cannons are one of the hardest gun setup to play.

yep... on the xp-58, all four big slow guns fire at once, and then the rounds wiggle around on different pathways in the air like fireflies

mesmerizing to watch them, and then heartbreaking, to watch all four miss your target again and again 

which, in turn, makes you susceptible to giving in to the impulse to chase your target around for just a few more seconds

and suddenly you're dogfighting in a BnZ-only plane, and your beautiful new wife becomes a beautiful young widow

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore       

SpiritFoxMY #7 Posted 25 March 2018 - 03:59 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 6222 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

I personally think the Focke-Wulf line is the way to go for pure energy fighters, although I also think the Ta 152 is a strange bird that doesn't really fit into the line. I haven't gotten past it yet so my knowledge beyond is theoretical. MiG line also looks to be an energy focused. Americans become more turn-y at tiers 9 and 10 for some reason, except for their Heavy line.  Again, I don't have high tiers for any of those so my comments are pure theory.

I enjoyed the German heavies right up until I hit the bloody 262. And just stalled out because its such a difficult bird to fly.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

mnbv_fockewulfe #8 Posted 25 March 2018 - 05:01 PM

Captain

• 661 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
Ta 152 actually is the most maneuverable of the line since the He 112.

SpiritFoxMY #9 Posted 25 March 2018 - 05:20 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 6222 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 25 March 2018 - 05:01 PM, said:

Ta 152 actually is the most maneuverable of the line since the He 112.

Discounting the Blohm und Voss bunch, yes. But its also got only 10s of boost; half that of the Dora; and its top firepower is also odd; three single shot long range derp guns compared to the close in sluggers of the rest of the line. You could outfit it as a more standard autocannon load but then it becomes a less maneuverable Me 209.

Overall... strange bird. I personally can't make the snipers work but YMMV

mnbv_fockewulfe #10 Posted 25 March 2018 - 06:22 PM

Captain

• 661 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

Oh yeah, I have a batplane but I still only have the 30s on it making it painful to play.

I find it fun, it's low alt penalty is gone, meaning it has one of the widest performance bands in the game.

The firepower is much more attuned towards mouse users, as you can point the mouse and say "delete this".

pyantoryng #11 Posted 25 March 2018 - 06:35 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3173 battles

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 25 March 2018 - 06:22 PM, said:

Oh yeah, I have a batplane but I still only have the 30s on it making it painful to play.

I find it fun, it's low alt penalty is gone, meaning it has one of the widest performance bands in the game.

The firepower is much more attuned towards mouse users, as you can point the mouse and say "delete this".

The Batplane pretty much screams at you to save those free EXP for the revolvers. It's the only plane outside of the Pancake to get that kind of firepower in tier VIII.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Viper_7242NC #12 Posted 25 March 2018 - 06:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 15162 battles
  • [VIPR3] VIPR3

One line per German and Allied restricts you because there are jewels in each line. IMHO

US

Tier 8 XF5U Pancake - Best Tier 8 Heavy

Tier 9 F-94D Starfire - Gatling Gun is awesome

Tier 10 - F-86 Sabre - In game not much but it is iconic

German

Tier 8 Me-209 and the Ta-152 have big ole guns and are very competitive

Tier 9 BV-212 - Rockets, Rockets, Rockets

Tier 10 Me-P.1011 - Fast, maneuverable and good guns.

Han shot first.

Wombatmetal #13 Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1141 battles
Thanks for all the feedback. I do realize that going up just a few lines restricts me, but 

View Postpyantoryng, on 24 March 2018 - 11:19 PM, said:

The BV210 and 212 are solid, while the 215 is just a novelty, while the prototype Focke-Wulf territory suffer from being so focused on energy that they are either undergunned or very hard to use (Ta 152 with all MK 103s, Ta 183 with obsolete weapons, Fw 252 with the mega BMW turnine but only two revolver 30mms). You may like the latter, because the BV210 and 212 are less of energy fighters and more dogfighters.

You may like the XF-90...it's way too heavy for my liking, I just prefer the Pancake and Banshee better. Most American fighters do better in energy fighting, though.

I like the Mustangs, but they only have MGs and not sure if I could deal with that at T10

View Postpyantoryng, on 25 March 2018 - 10:35 AM, said:

The Batplane pretty much screams at you to save those free EXP for the revolvers. It's the only plane outside of the Pancake to get that kind of firepower in tier VIII.

I have about  a million free xp saved right now so all set for that 

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 25 March 2018 - 09:20 AM, said:

Discounting the Blohm und Voss bunch, yes. But its also got only 10s of boost; half that of the Dora; and its top firepower is also odd; three single shot long range derp guns compared to the close in sluggers of the rest of the line. You could outfit it as a more standard autocannon load but then it becomes a less maneuverable Me 209.

Overall... strange bird. I personally can't make the snipers work but YMMV

I'll see how I like the Do 335 which has the same cannon as the Ta 152. I have done pretty well sniping with Yak 9s, the slow velocity 45mm takes getting used to but not hard once you get the hang of it. 

Looks like the focus will be 190 and 109 lines German, Corsairs and either Mustangs or Heavies for the US. I'd like a pancake, but also a Sabre. 

pyantoryng #14 Posted 26 March 2018 - 03:06 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3173 battles

The Do 335's MK 103 has much better endurance than the 209, for sure. It can fire like 10 shots before overheating compared to the 3-4 of the 209. Dunno about the Ta 152, though.

The 209 can take the fight in both vertical and horizontal...a fresh breath of air coming from the the 109G...

SpiritFoxMY #15 Posted 26 March 2018 - 03:33 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 6222 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Postpyantoryng, on 26 March 2018 - 03:06 AM, said:

The Do 335's MK 103 has much better endurance than the 209, for sure. It can fire like 10 shots before overheating compared to the 3-4 of the 209. Dunno about the Ta 152, though.

4 volleys is about all you get from the Ta 152, though with the triple MK103 loadout, you only need 2 full volleys to wipe a 100% HP light fighter

Soylent_Red_Isnt_People #16 Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:47 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2395 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 25 March 2018 - 05:19 AM, said:

while the prototype Focke-Wulf territory suffer from being so focused on energy that they are either undergunned or very hard to use (Ta 152 with all MK 103s, Ta 183 with obsolete weapons, Fw 252 with the mega BMW turnine but only two revolver 30mms).

View PostBuffaloTime, on 25 March 2018 - 04:44 PM, said:

Tier 8 XF5U Pancake - Best Tier 8 Heavy

Tier 10 - F-86 Sabre - In game not much but it is iconic

Tier 8 Me-209 and the Ta-152 have big ole guns and are very competitive

View Postpyantoryng, on 26 March 2018 - 01:06 AM, said:

The 209 can take the fight in both vertical and horizontal...a fresh breath of air coming from the the 109G...

Unlocked the Sabre this weekend, and already had the La 15, but sold off the Pancake (haven't flown it in a couple weeks anyways); this is proving to be an interesting topic though overall.

Apart from grinding my most flown aircraft seem to be tier VIIs; I only have a single tech tree plane at IV (BF 110) and V (Hurricane II), then three at VI (P 38J, Bf 109, & Tornado) with the others all premiums at those tiers.

I do enjoy flying the VI Bf 109, so I sold off the Ta-152 (flew once and hated it) then today purchased the VII Bf 109 to work towards the Me 209.

I also chose not to unlock the Attacker (to get the Swift), and instead spent part of my banked free XP to skip the Me 410 so I could get the Me 265; flies kind of like a slower Fw 190 with damaged control surfaces.

I was somewhat interested in the Ta 183 after seeing them in-game during matches with the FJ1 or La 160, but I think the bots fly it better than the aircraft's paper stats should allow.

It'd be nice if there was more choices for good multi-roles that don't also keep getting dumped into matches versus the typical overabundance of human and bot TnB planes.

I also decided to restart the MiG line (from the III unfortunately) so I can work up towards the IL 10.

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 24 March 2018 - 09:24 PM, said:

Just grind for the plane you've always wanted to fly IRL.

That's my philosophy.

I keep almost using free XP to skip the 109Z and get the Me 262, but then I see one or two in a match end up doing not much anything and change my mind.

Edited by Soylent_Red_Isnt_People, 27 March 2018 - 03:14 AM.

"If they don't chase you after a mile, they don't chase ya.... Maybe it's two miles...."   ---   "You wanna play it soft, we'll play it soft. You wanna play it hard, let's play it hard."

5801234590.png

''Under control? You're grabbing a f**king bazooka, you dumba**!''

Capture Points & You --- Graphic Settings Explored --- Grinding Tokens; Not so Daily Missions --- Ground Targets & Mission Types in 2.0 --- Equipment 2.0.5; Huh?

Reitousair #17 Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:08 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 14174 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

Hmm, while restricting yourself to only a couple of lines is a bad idea since you won't know how to fly anything but them until you branch out again, there are some recommendations I can make for such a prospect.

For Germany, if you like the Me 265 then you'll likely love the Me 329 and it only gets better from there. 109 Z and 262 require some fairly fine hands to make work well however most people when they reach the HGII rejoice in the very good performance of the aircraft. I'd recommend the Bf 109 line over the Fw 190 line, while most people scream in agony at the pitiful firepower of the 109 F and 109 G, when used right they're still very strong aircraft and they're excellent energy fighters, Focke-Wulf line can hit hard but the grind to tier 8 can prove painful and from there you either get a turnfighter that spams rockets with tier 10 guns, or a turnfighter that nukes everything from nearly a kilometer out. Overall, I'd say Bf 109 line should be your go-to.

For Allies, hmm... well, if you want to focus on one line, I'd suggest the MiG line. The I-210 is a bit of a rut but once you get past it, you have arguably THE best energy-fighter line in the game, very fast, very quick, good climb, barely give a care about their lower alt than other energy fighters, can still turn fairly well, and hit hard.

However it appears you're gunning for U.S. planes in which case... Mustang line, they're better energy fighters than the MRF's and .50 cals are still serviceable up at tier 10 however you're going to have to learn how to get up close and personal with people as the range on them is... a bit of a problem. Their HF's can also work, P-38's are solid aircraft, F7F is still usable but requires a fairly fine hand (it's the low point in the line for many), Pancake is borderline OP when used right, F2H is insanely good, not sure about the XF-90 though, I hear split opinions about that one.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

Premium plane reviews can be found here. Special project equipment spreadsheet can be found here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users