Crew skill things. (A bit specific and a tad lengthy)

Pilots Skills Gameplay Tips & Tricks

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

NovaTempest #1 Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:07 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5344 battles

So now that I've started fully establishing all my shiet in game, im starting to dabble in combining equipment with crew skills, and I have several pilots I intend to go far with that I have plans for.

My questions are the following:

• Does each build idea make sense for the respective plane?
  • Is each build Ideal for what I have planned? (I'll state that for each)
  • If not, what would be better and why?

So Without Further ado, Let me dive into this mess.

(* I have highlighted Crew skills I'm planning on getting for each pilot in Red, it'll be pretty self-explanatory.)

First Off is the P-51s, I currently have the P-51A and intend to go to the P-51H sooner or later. I've actually mentioned my build for this plane before:

Posted Image
Equipment: Improved Covering, Reflector Sight, Lightweight Airframe
Because The Mustangs are for the most part blank slates, other than being inherently BnZ'ers to a degree, I want to build mine so that its rugged, can follow more agile craft as best as possible, and make every single bullet count as best as I can, though i'm not 100% on AR.

Next is the closest pilot build I have to completion, on the Me 262 HG II:

Posted Image

Equipment: Improved Covering, Improved Flaps, None [Planned: Reinforced Airframe OR Engine Tuning]
This plane has become a darling for me, and I have no intent on going for the HG III because it lacks those wonderful R4M which have clutched a good number of last-second kills, saving me from collisions and unfavorable head-on bouts. I utilized Reinforced Airframe and Improved covering in combination with protection expert to greatly enhance the original Me 262's endurance, though I have had less of a need for it in the HG II with the 20mm guns. I'm almost certain Adrenaline Rush on this plane would be very handy. Firefighting will go last just to round-out the pilot and reduce the odds of 'Death by sheer luck'.

Thirdly, Yak-1M:
Posted Image

Equipment: Self Sealing Tank, Control Surface Adjustments, Lightweight Airframe

I intend to go up to the Yak-15 on this line, unless im convinced to go to the tier 9 with a very strong argument for doing so (other than as a more maneuverable backup to my HG II now that I think about it). I absolutely loved how the Yak-1 handled, and have tailored the crew skills i intend to pick out to further negate its weaknesses or bolster it further, I've already set it so not only does it have a 50% lower chance of getting set on fire, but when it does it will only take 30% of the normal damage and last 20% shorter.

The Bf 109 E:
Posted Image

Equipment [Planned]: Engine Tuning, Lightweight Airframe, Aircraft Polish.

The one I am least sure about and also the plane I feel I have neglected, I have had this plane for what feels like three or even four years now, she's been around for a while. Not that I haven't played it, its just I have been flying more thrilling planes. I feel the best way to make this plane work is in a way somewhat different to the P-51 build, similar goal, but different method of doing so. Drop in on targets from above, follow in behind them long enough to get the kill or leave them low enough to be finished off by another pass, then zoom the hell out before they regain their senses. I hope someday to get to the Me 209A on this line. However with the Yak-1 and Yak-1M playthrough this may encourage me to get the Friedrich and know how to handle it to a degree.

I'll leave it to that for now, I have several other planes i intend to build up in terms of pilots skills, but i don't want to go all in on one sitting.

Thoughts on these?

pyantoryng #2 Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:25 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1783 battles

Don't bother with the bottommost row of skills (save for Cruise Flight and maybe fire extinguishing for Japanese/Russian planes), they are useless most of the time if they are not mandatory pick on special pilots.

Plan for just about 7-8 points or so. From the ninth point onwards the requirement becomes very ridiculous and just not worth it without a few T8 prem to help or the pilot is running a tier 10 non-GA, which has the greatest EXP payout.

Also, you can reset crew skills easily and with no losses with silver, so just go on and experiment if you are confident in your silver farming ability.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

PostTraumatic #3 Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:44 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1521 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN

I have 200-210 planes in the game.  I set almost all my fighters up the same.

First I put the equipment on: 

• Lightweight air frame
  • Control Surface Adjustment
  • Engine tuning

Then the first skill I put on is:

• Aerodynamics Expert - This gives all 3 of those pieces of equipment a 40% boost which is MORE than you get right off with ANY other skill.  (best bang for your buck)
  • Engine Guru 1 - This will be the second if the fighter is an altitude fighter, Third if a turn fighter.
  • Aerobatics Expert - - This will be the second if the fighter is a turn fighter, Third if an altitude fighter.

I focus on maximizing my engine power to get me high as possible for high chases and maneuverability overall.  If you can get on their tail and stay there then you will be able to shoot them down so I don't bother with Marksman Skills.  Marksman does not help much and is especially unhelpful with a plane that has cannons/mg mix like a YAK.  Marksman should be for planes with only Machine Guns only and even then I would rather be able to scramble and turn.

Edited by PostTraumatic, 22 March 2018 - 06:13 PM.

Furysghost #4 Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:02 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3561 battles
l know via dev blog recent past they plan to overhaul the skills so we can expect that sometime this yr apparently.....

CorvusCorvax #5 Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:24 PM

Captain

• 3116 battles
  • [JG52] JG52
I have tried to work the gunsight and pilot guns skills to help out there, and have come up empty every time.  Engine and turning for fighters, turret and protection for GAA/bombers.

pyantoryng #6 Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:12 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1783 battles
Stacking all the accuracy upgrades seems to make the bullets home/guided/whatever...I find them very handy because my shots refuses to land where I aim them or even register to begin with...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

SpiritFoxMY #7 Posted 22 March 2018 - 11:27 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4301 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
Personally I ditched the Gunsight for my P51K in favor of the Control Surface Adjustment with Engine Tuning and Lightweight Airframe and ditched Marksman for Aerodynamic Expert and Aerobatics Expert. The American .50 cal spam means I'm less worried about accuracy than I am on the big high alpha, rapidly overheating cannon.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

cobra_marksman #8 Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:13 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6096 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
Rule of thumb Build on your strengths​ . :coin: That will be the Best Bang for you Buck. Never ...never ...never, waste skills & builds on the plane's weakness.:facepalm:You'll just be wasting them, and your time.:great:

Dru83 #9 Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:25 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2994 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

On the P-51, I'd just go with engine skills first, then marksman skills. As mentioned above it's going to take a while just to get the 10 points you need for those four. You have adrenaline rush picked on all of your builds. I don't find it that helpful, except for low tiers when you might be constantly turning and burning and overheating your guns. You especially don't need it with machine guns like the P-51's.

For the 262 HGII, I think you're already set pretty good. I don't think Adrenaline rush would be helpful here as the 262 typically doesn't engage and kill multiple targets very well, at least not in my experience. I think AR is much better for Turn and burn planes than Boom and zoomers. The slight maneuverability boost from that maneuvering skill is probably not going to mean much... you're already the least maneuverable thing at your altitude that's not a bomber. I'd kind of lean towards boosting speed over protection for it, but that's my style.

I think you've got things pretty good for the Yak-1. I don't think adrenaline rush will help much as it takes a long while to kill a plane with the tickle cannon. I don't think you need the aiming skill as much here as the guns are all in the nose.

For the 109, I'd go engines first, then marksman. If you want though, you could do speed equipment and aero expert for an all speed build.

YagabodooN #10 Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:18 PM

Master Sergeant

• 1775 battles

Always upgrade speed no matter what, better energy generation = advantage no matter what plane your are in. Keep in mind, that the game treats engine power and topspeeds DIFFERENTLY.  A general rule of thumb is that planes with bigger more powerful engines usually have better acceleration and boost even if their 'listed' top speed is low. 

Someone said to never upgrade your plane's weakest aspect, Ignore him, a better piece of advice would be to never upgrade an aspect of your plane that is negligible to its playstyle.

Example, your heavy may have relatively poor maneuverability relative to its other stats but maybe the ability to turn just a little bit tighter could be the difference between getting those last couple shots in on a target before your guns overheat. 

As a last personal note, I don't like skills that improve survivability because they reward you for taking damage and do not buff the raw performance of your plane.  A plane that flies and shoots better will take less hits in general.  

MrNellis #11 Posted 25 March 2018 - 05:20 AM

Senior Airman

• 694 battles

View PostPostTraumatic, on 22 March 2018 - 05:44 PM, said:

I focus on maximizing my engine power to get me high as possible for high chases and maneuverability overall.

Whoa! This worked great! How about consumables?

MafiaMatt #12 Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:14 AM

Master Sergeant

• 5406 battles

Marksman I + II + (varies with plane and the class). 

It is best to use the same pilot for the current plane you are grinding so you can get most SP accumulated on the very few.  More SP = Thicker Fudge for the Enemy.

Also tagged with Pilots, Skills, Gameplay, Tips & Tricks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users