Attrition is the best mode

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Balaise #1 Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:13 PM

Master Sergeant

• 2013 battles

Yup! I made up my mind!

Attrition is definitely the best mode of all. (Conquest, Invasion, Attrition)

To me, version 1.9 was fine as it was but...

I understand dev teams wanted to bring in respawn mechanic. And IMO Attrition is the way to implement it.

This mode is the closest of 1.9 in spirit which is all about killing planes. Getting destroyed MUST hurt your team which is the case in attrition.

I would be super happy if WG decided to make this mode permanent.

Cenotaph #2 Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3307 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR
Yeah, the general consensus seems to be Attrition is decent... but Invasion is an abomination.
I don't want to hurt you... I just want to kill you!

SgtSchlautter #3 Posted 18 March 2018 - 10:31 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 7001 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostBalaise, on 18 March 2018 - 07:13 PM, said:

Yup! I made up my mind!

I understand dev teams wanted to bring in respawn mechanic. And IMO Attrition is the way to implement it.

This mode is the closest of 1.9 in spirit which is all about killing planes. Getting destroyed MUST hurt your team which is the case in attrition.

View PostCenotaph, on 18 March 2018 - 09:43 PM, said:

Yeah, the general consensus seems to be Attrition is decent... but Invasion is an abomination.

I agree with both of you. It really is a fun mode.. but why is that? It is much more similar to Conquest than Invasion. I wouldn't mind them making changes to increase the time each battle lasts though as it still seems a little too short compared to Conquest

LMG #4 Posted 18 March 2018 - 10:35 PM

First Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

Conquest and Attrition work the best as they're the most "symmetrical" game modes, where both sides in theory have equal chances at victory. However, Invasion is an asymmetrical game mode in all the wrong ways (sounds familiar, doesn't it? :sceptic:), where one team is basically king and the other has to crawl on their belly just to be able to do something aside of getting jumped on by several enemy planes at a time. The attackers don't have any advantage that truly give them the edge in any situation aside of player skill, which is set randomly by the matchmaker anyways (let's put the inexperienced flight here and the tournament-ready guys there; looks good :trollface:)

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

SgtSchlautter #5 Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:34 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 7001 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostLMG, on 18 March 2018 - 10:35 PM, said:

(let's put the inexperienced flight here and the tournament-ready guys there; looks good :trollface:)

Seems legit :)

Reitousair #6 Posted 19 March 2018 - 01:36 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 13466 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

Ehhhh I still have some qualms with Attrition but most of them can be solved with a larger playerbase. Still, I'd say right now I like Conquest a little bit more since ground targets directly contribute to the match as well as aircraft, however neither Conquest nor Attrition really strikes that balance of both air and ground being important. Conquest is a bit too ground-focused (especially when you have a 2-mining plant map), and Attrition is a bit too air focused. But, still, I'd say Attrition in its current state could still fit right in with normal play.

Invasion however... well, let's just hope Invasion doesn't ever make it into regular rotation the way it is right now.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

Premium plane reviews can be found here. Special project equipment spreadsheet can be found here.

SpiritFoxMY #7 Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:43 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5638 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

I... actually like Invasion :bajan:

I do like it even when on the Attack. Maybe they just need to reduce the number of players on the defending team?

Attrition is fine, I just want them to get rid of the damn Rocket and Command Center caps. Gets in the way of my dogfighting although I suppose they give the GAAs something to play for. I still say they should scrap the multipliers and let the GAAs take out respawn tickets directly by blowing up ground targets.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

LMG #8 Posted 19 March 2018 - 03:38 AM

First Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 18 March 2018 - 09:43 PM, said:

Attrition is fine, I just want them to get rid of the damn Rocket and Command Center caps. Gets in the way of my dogfighting although I suppose they give the GAAs something to play for. I still say they should scrap the multipliers and let the GAAs take out respawn tickets directly by blowing up ground targets.

That's actually counter-intuitive, sadly. If I'm efficient at capping sectors, I will destroy the minimum amount of ground targets to get the flip. You would have to use a layout similar to 1.x for that to work, which has its own share of problems anyways

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

SpiritFoxMY #9 Posted 19 March 2018 - 04:05 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5638 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostLMG, on 19 March 2018 - 03:38 AM, said:

That's actually counter-intuitive, sadly. If I'm efficient at capping sectors, I will destroy the minimum amount of ground targets to get the flip. You would have to use a layout similar to 1.x for that to work, which has its own share of problems anyways

Personally I like the idea of periodically spawning convoys and armored trains that would be carrying "supplies" to Airfields and Airbases. The number of respawns available would be directly related to the number of these supply trains that get through with a minimum amount of respawns available at the start of the match. Get rid of all caps except the Airfields and Airbases. Something like that at any rate.

But... meh. I'll settle for them removing Command and Rocket caps 

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Jenko1957 #10 Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:34 AM

Master Sergeant

• 8270 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostBalaise, on 19 March 2018 - 05:13 AM, said:

Yup! I made up my mind!

​I agree, attrition is my favorite mode. I never had much interest in shooting up static ground targets, the dogfight is what keeps me interested. Happy to let the ground pounders get their jollies, but the current iteration of the game makes the game too ground focused for mine.

NorthernPorter #11 Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:09 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha Test Veteran
  • 1792 battles
I'm liking Attrition and Conquest the best. I like to mix up the game play a bit between the too. Flying the same mode over and over again can get a little dull in my opinion. Hope they make permanent in the game too.

bjorn1984 #12 Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:50 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2678 battles
  • [JG52] JG52
I like all the modes currently. I feel Conquest is a fun standard type of game play, while I feel Attrition should be added to a random battle type with Conquest. I like Invasion mode too, but it still needs some tweaks, and adjustments. I feel it could be added to the game, but maybe only as a specialized optional game mode.
Check out my online content
Facebook: www.facebook.com/The_Mighty_Bjorn1984-525235531209893/
Youtube: www.youtube.com/channel/UCSJ6ptZRxCBV4MVqsOAI6TQ
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/mightybjorn1984

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users