Do you actually make a difference in battle?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

EpicYarn #1 Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:25 AM

Master Sergeant

• 1695 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

Do you actually make a difference in battle as a human player amid bots?  For a while, I've noticed that the outcome of the battles is often decided by the bots.  

I'm rather upset that I score the top of the board, yet the enemy team with a human player who had quit the battle actually won.  

Edited by EpicYarn, 14 March 2018 - 04:25 AM.

LMG #2 Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:02 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2356 battles

Depends on the situation, but overall in Conquest the player can have a pretty big impact on gameplay. I once was on my I-207/4 trying to help a Do 17 z capture a Military Base. I tried 3 times, and it was never able to get the cap. I got tired of it, went towards the central Airfield and won the game by elimination (it is said that, to this day, that Dornier is still trying to capture that Military Base :ohmy:).

In another battle, I was on my IL-20 on Alpine Gambit. The scores were very close to each other, but the enemy had a Mining Facility that was about to push them over the score limit before our team. I bolted towards the Mining Facility which had been pounded by our Military Base and I think a RB-17. I fired all my 12 rockets at multiple buildings, and was able to flip the sector right before they got the bonus points, which also gave us the lead in score and we won with 2 points apart :great:

On Invasion, it's very rare to make anything but a negative impact on the team considering how punishing the mode is. However, I once did win a game for my team by being the last player alive on my IL-40. We had to capture one last sector, and we had a bombing run on their way to it. I met with the bombers and destroyed the last sector, securing the victory against over half of the enemy team :B

On Attrition... yea, you're at the mercy of the bots if you don't have at least one human ground pounder or one human fighter. Too many fighters and you might lose the sectors, too many GAAs and you might lose the match :(

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

SpiritFoxMY #3 Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:06 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3113 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
It happens - I feel it can get pretty painful at higher tier Conquest. The newer modes haven't been as bad (so far) although they have their own problems.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Reitousair #4 Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:21 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 7409 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

Depends really, some matches across all three gamemodes no matter what I did, I would lose. I've had some matches where I could've just quit back to hangar right away and still won. Having a match where you were the determining factor is extremely rare, usually only see it in Conquest. But, don't worry, you're not alone, I've chatted with a fair few pilots and they've all expressed similar views to you, sometimes you aren't important, you only resist or accelerate the inevitable, and other times you were the key to victory, turning the tides or creating a tsunami out of them to victory.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

Cenotaph #5 Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:39 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2964 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostReitousair, on 13 March 2018 - 09:21 PM, said:

Depends really, some matches across all three gamemodes no matter what I did, I would lose. I've had some matches where I could've just quit back to hangar right away and still won. Having a match where you were the determining factor is extremely rare, usually only see it in Conquest. But, don't worry, you're not alone, I've chatted with a fair few pilots and they've all expressed similar views to you, sometimes you aren't important, you only resist or accelerate the inevitable, and other times you were the key to victory, turning the tides or creating a tsunami out of them to victory.

Pretty much this... current formats are random to a certain extent, but 1 player can still have significant impact.
I don't want to hurt you... I just want to kill you!

ArrowZ_ #6 Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:45 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles

It looks alot like that when you start early on. But once you get the hang of the bot's behavious and where they're predictably go each match (conquest for example) - like GAs always prioritizing military bases, airbases, mining plants, command centers if those are the only sectors in one map or a combination of each. Or Heavy bots rushing into a sector to try and lure the defence aircrafts, usually a military base from what I've seen. Sometimes you see a horde of fighter bots (LFs/MRFs) going for one sector trying to cap it - usually in this horde you'll see a few humans, sometimes it's just one - going with them.

You pick things up as you observe how the battle goes through and the outcomes are becoming very predictable I've found. Once I figured out how bots behave and their reactions towards certain offensives and defensives, It's not hard at all to influence the match on your own or in a flight. Just takes time imo.

But yea players do have the ability to make a difference in matches (excluding the Invasion mode). It seems alot easier for players to influence the matches with Attrition and Conquest. But that's my take on it all. I'm sure some will disagree. We all have varying levels of experiences and play styles which also factors into how well you can produce wins in a match.

Right now the sure fire way to almost always win is to fly TNB Light Fighters (spitfires) and some multi roles (f4u, hurricanse, tornado, f-94d) and so on.

Edited by ArrowZ_, 14 March 2018 - 07:46 AM.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

WOWP 2.0 Videos Playlist

Martymart1976 #7 Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:58 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4397 battles
  • [FK] FK
I don't feel like I can influence a battle.  First, I have noticed when you k I 'll a bot, they come back earlier than if you shoot down a player.  Secondly, you can have the game of your life and shoot down 15 plus planes, get an Ace or Winged Legend, and still lose.  Also seems to me that ground attack planes have to work harder to make a difference.

Prenzlau #8 Posted 15 March 2018 - 03:49 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 6663 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

When I fly the tier 3 Bristol Blenheim Mk. IV (early mod.) it is vastly apparent that the bomber alone, can make a huge difference on the outcome of the battle. First, most of the battles are tier 2/3 mixed, or tier 3, once in a while 3/4 mix. A lot of planes have trouble getting enough altitude to shoot effectively. That gives the Blenheim IV a lot of free runs to bomb indiscriminately at will. Throw in an effective bomber pilot, with a ground targets destroyed of over 10 per sortie, (mine is 12.61), and while the action is going on at ground level, the battle is actually being won up above. Also, I want to note that if the other teams bomber(s) are being flown by bots, that makes the human bomber pilot all the more effective. 

That said, you do get battles where the other bomber(s) are flown by humans, and you do get battles where Bf 109B's and other heavy fighters come up and try to shoot you down. But in general the tier 3 Blenheim is highly effective and can by itself on occasions, determine the outcome of a battle.

The other bombers can be just as effective, especially with skilled bomber pilots and players. The higher up the tiers in bombers you go, the more other planes can easily reach them, but if left alone bombers can be extremely effective taking caps and altering battles. And yes, I have and I have seen very effective bomber players flying low as well. 

Please feel free to practice and fly the Blenheim Mk. IV and you'll see what I mean.

Prenzlau

The Zigfreid & Prenzlau Bombing Company

"We're not just delivering the mail..."

NorthernPorter #9 Posted 15 March 2018 - 05:55 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha Test Veteran
  • 1657 battles
That has happened to me a couple times too. It's disappointing but I'll take solace in knowing that I did better than any of the human players on the other team. Over all though I feel players do have a hand in determining the outcome of the battles. Those times when we lose but I have the highest CP in the battle, its usually because the team just can't seem to hold a control point, or too many are fighting it out in neutral territory. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users