For a change of pace, something that is not a complaint about Westwall

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

CorvusCorvax #1 Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:18 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 891 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

Hello!  Happy to be back, after not playing much this week.  I did work on my rocket kills.  And I finally got one!  Yes, one.  Pure luck.

I was at altitude, looking for bombers in my Me-410.  I saw another Me-410 in the distance (1100 meters) and wanted to get his attention.  So I pulled some half-azzed lead, let fly with 4 rockets, and got the kill.

lmbo [ forum software edit of the phrase "laugh my azz off" ]

The only rocket kill all week.  And I worked with every rocket-capable plane I had.  I pretty much suck at rocket-killing, I'm afraid.  Give me cannon shells, and I'll take down an A-26 in two passes.  Give me rockets, and watch me flail,  :)

Thanks to all the forum-dwellers for the games this weekend.  If my count is correct, we are 50/50 on kills/deaths.  Look out, because I figured out some of what you guys do, and now that I know, you may want to observe the old fighter pilot's warning....

Check six.

Edited by Rico_CotC_, 12 March 2018 - 03:19 PM.

StoptheViolins #2 Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:39 PM

• 1470 battles
You should be able to salvo at a plane from ~1000m and get a kill from the blast radius of the missile.  ~1000m since it can be anywhere up to 1000m.

CorvusCorvax #3 Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:13 PM

• 891 battles
  • [JG52] JG52
That might have been it.  But it certainly wasn't an aimed, calculated shot.  It was just flinging missiles into the air.

trikke #4 Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1616 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

i use rockets on ground targets only, because they seldom move around 

and just about the only ground targets that i can reliably hit...  those giant radar dishes 

moar giant radar dishes!

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

MARS_REVENANT #5 Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:26 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 3240 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostRico_CotC_, on 12 March 2018 - 11:13 AM, said:

That might have been it.  But it certainly wasn't an aimed, calculated shot.  It was just flinging missiles into the air.

Keep in mind you are practicing Rocket Skill, distances,, speed angles etc...  For the missions, I would just get down and dirty... fly right up behind something, when you are about to ram them fire all your rockets to get the kill.  Its not pretty or skillful, but it gets the job/missions done.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

TWITCH  |  YOUTUBE  |  FACEBOOK  |  TWITTER

CorvusCorvax #6 Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:16 PM

• 891 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 12 March 2018 - 04:26 PM, said:

Keep in mind you are practicing Rocket Skill, distances,, speed angles etc...  For the missions, I would just get down and dirty... fly right up behind something, when you are about to ram them fire all your rockets to get the kill.  Its not pretty or skillful, but it gets the job/missions done.

I will repeat it, because I haven't been clear on this issue, obviously.

The stuff you said above was already known to me before I posted in the forums for the very first time.  Stick in behind a slow, bot GAA, fly in to under 200m, make sure the GAA is not at full HP, and let fly the full salvo.

Crazy thing - I have only succeeded at this by chance.  Two whole rocket kills in over 100 sorties of intentional killing attempts.  Probably over 200, all told.  A less than 1% success rate means that all the kills I got were purely by chance.  Like the bomb kill I had in my A-26 when I was at 3500m.  It only happened because another aircraft was in the wrong place, at the wrong time, not because I meant to do it.

THis is one of the reasons I have been practicing.  I need to see what is successful, and what isn't.  So far, I have found a BUNCH of ways to not be successful.  :)

MARS_REVENANT #7 Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:29 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 3240 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA
I would get closer than 200m..... literally right before you ram them let everything go.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

CorvusCorvax #8 Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:34 PM

• 891 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostRico_CotC_, on 12 March 2018 - 05:16 PM, said:

fly in to under 200m, make sure the GAA is not at full HP, and let fly the full salvo.

Yes, I know.

LMG #9 Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1517 battles

I've found some success with rocket kills on head-ons by slightly aiming above my target. I learned that from my Ju 88 P, where I often have to aim slightly above ground targets since my gun is beneath the aircraft and the shots often undershoot their mark. With rockets it was the same thing, often flying underneath the enemy aircraft

:sceptic: :amazed: :) :playing: :medal:

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

StoptheViolins #10 Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:42 PM

• 1470 battles

Of course, for a good time break out the F-94D with FFAR missiles or the German T8's with their R4M missiles.  Someone else probably knows which one are the best based on dmg and reload.

Oddly we've tracked this thread on missiles.

I'll get on topic by concurring that the Attrition is a lot of fun.  The mode seems to be balanced between capturing nodes and killing.  My team has pulled out of a literal beat down by capturing 4/5 nodes in the last 3-4 minutes of the game and winning by a score of 3-0.

lunber54 #11 Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:52 PM

Senior Airman

• 2842 battles
  • [TWE] TWE

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 12 March 2018 - 04:26 PM, said:

Thought I was the only one. 

CorvusCorvax #12 Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:39 PM

• 891 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostLMG, on 12 March 2018 - 06:14 PM, said:

I've found some success with rocket kills on head-ons by slightly aiming above my target. I learned that from my Ju 88 P, where I often have to aim slightly above ground targets since my gun is beneath the aircraft and the shots often undershoot their mark. With rockets it was the same thing, often flying underneath the enemy aircraft

Funny you should mention that.  I had noticed on my last rocket pass that all my rockets seemed to go under target, even though the aircraft was dead ahead, square in the pipper.  I wanted to make a mental note to try and give a touch of "up" to my next salvo.

Edited by Rico_CotC_, 12 March 2018 - 07:39 PM.

Psicko23 #13 Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:08 AM

First Lieutenant

• 14 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
Rocket kills are one of my favorite ways of killing planes. I havent played this new version enough to figure out the difference between this new one and the old version.

SpiritFoxMY #14 Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:06 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1556 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
I just unlocked the BV P215.02 and my very first flyout had a guy in a Yak-30 try a head on pass. I guess he's new.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

gerr22 #15 Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:29 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1779 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
i use the same tactic as LMB aim slightly high and bang

MARS_REVENANT #16 Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:36 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 3240 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA
Maybe this goes without saying, but you should also revise your pilot skills/training to include the skill that increases the change of A-A hits with rockets.

CorvusCorvax #17 Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:16 PM

• 891 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 13 March 2018 - 01:36 PM, said:

Maybe this goes without saying, but you should also revise your pilot skills/training to include the skill that increases the change of A-A hits with rockets.

That is the dumbest idea yet.  The training for the pilots needs to be in primary or secondary BFM skills, period.  Either buff for maneuver, or buff for marksmanship, or buff for wringing the most out of the engines.  Of course, if we're talking bombing or ground attack aircraft, then talk about the other skills.  But this is for HEAVY FIGHTER AIRCRAFT.  They are primarily for shooting down other planes, and maybe some light ground attack duties.  Maybe, after I get 10 or 12 pilot points, I'll throw some away on rocket skills, LOL.  Until then, it's just me, figuring out the ballistics of rockets.  In between actually helping my team win some matches.

MARS_REVENANT #18 Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:52 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 3240 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostRico_CotC_, on 13 March 2018 - 09:16 AM, said:

That is the dumbest idea yet.  The training for the pilots needs to be in primary or secondary BFM skills, period.  Either buff for maneuver, or buff for marksmanship, or buff for wringing the most out of the engines.  Of course, if we're talking bombing or ground attack aircraft, then talk about the other skills.  But this is for HEAVY FIGHTER AIRCRAFT.  They are primarily for shooting down other planes, and maybe some light ground attack duties.  Maybe, after I get 10 or 12 pilot points, I'll throw some away on rocket skills, LOL.  Until then, it's just me, figuring out the ballistics of rockets.  In between actually helping my team win some matches.

This is to make completing a mission for Rocket Kills easier, not overall improvement on general game play.  When the objective is to hit planes  with rockets, that specific pilot skill makes more sense, and you would be surprised how effective it is.

All the pilot skills you mentioned are for general game play, boom and zoom or dog fighting.  For this mission, all you need to do is get right up close to a GA, HF, or Bomber.  You don't need engine guru, protection, or aerobatics for that.  Also, marksmanship doesn't help you as much as you think you need it on lower caliber guns.  I generally only use marksmanship on planes that have 1 big cannon, like the C-6, or 9U, or when my pilot has so many skills that I can trow a couple points away.

SpiritFoxMY #19 Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1556 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

My main pilot, Hauptmann Hippler, is at 9 points with Fire Retardant (1pt), Marksman I (2pts), Marksman II (3pts) and Expert Rocketeer (2pts). I'm getting Demolition Expert once I get my 10th point to boost my rocket damage so I can guarantee a kill in one or two volleys (maybe kill an IL-40P with three volleys? I can dream can't I?)

Of course the BVs are basically rocket platforms anyway. .

IRT MARS: should I retrain his Marksman II to something else? I haven't decided on the 215.02's equipment loadout yet but probably Engine Tuning, Gunsight and Lightweight Airframe? If I do that, it might be better for me to ditch Marksman II and go Aerodynamic Expert for the extra engine power and turnability? Or stick with this skillset and stick a Improved Bombsight for reduced rocket spread? What do you think?

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

MARS_REVENANT #20 Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:46 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 3240 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 13 March 2018 - 10:20 AM, said:

My main pilot, Hauptmann Hippler, is at 9 points with Fire Retardant (1pt), Marksman I (2pts), Marksman II (3pts) and Expert Rocketeer (2pts). I'm getting Demolition Expert once I get my 10th point to boost my rocket damage so I can guarantee a kill in one or two volleys (maybe kill an IL-40P with three volleys? I can dream can't I?)

Of course the BVs are basically rocket platforms anyway. .

IRT MARS: should I retrain his Marksman II to something else? I haven't decided on the 215.02's equipment loadout yet but probably Engine Tuning, Gunsight and Lightweight Airframe? If I do that, it might be better for me to ditch Marksman II and go Aerodynamic Expert for the extra engine power and turnability? Or stick with this skillset and stick a Improved Bombsight for reduced rocket spread? What do you think?

Yeah for the BVs, I don't bother with Marksman unless I have high points to throw away.  The guns are great on those things all on their own, so I use my pilot skills to boost other things like durability, maneuverability, and engine.

Expert Rocketeer is great for A to A hits.  My understanding of Demolition Expert was that is was just for ground targets, but I  may be wrong as it talks about splash damage.  I have never combined both skills when my primary concern was A to A hits.  Let me know how that goes though, I think this may be the default on the Female Valkyrie pilot in my F-94.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users