Any Advice on Air Defense Penetration primary mission

Air Defense Penetration Grind Grind x2

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Bobby_Tables #1 Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:23 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 2149 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

I got the secondary mission for Air Defense Penetration done on my first run at the mission (500 personal points for air defense aircraft in one battle).  The primary mission is 10,000 personal points for killing air defense aircraft over any number of battles.  Man, this is taking a lot of time!

Since my first battle, where I thought:  "This is easy!" the max I can seem to get on this is 600 personal points for killing air defense aircraft.  I tried higher tiers, lower tiers, light fighters, heavy, multirole.  Not sure if there is some magic formula I am missing but for the most part, getting about 300 to 500 personal points is average.  Then there are the battles with very few air defense aircraft in general, where my score is around 200-300 so this one is a slog.  

What am I missing?  

Edited by Bobby_Tables, 11 March 2018 - 05:24 AM.

StoptheViolins #2 Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:31 AM

• 1465 battles
The missions are intentionally grindy.

Cenotaph #3 Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:37 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2063 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR
Turn out, it's not quite as easy as some people would have you believe.
I don't want to hurt you... I just want to kill you!

MARS_REVENANT #4 Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:40 AM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 2960 battles

View PostBobby_Tables, on 11 March 2018 - 12:23 AM, said:

I got the secondary mission for Air Defense Penetration done on my first run at the mission (500 personal points for air defense aircraft in one battle).  The primary mission is 10,000 personal points for killing air defense aircraft over any number of battles.  Man, this is taking a lot of time!

Since my first battle, where I thought:  "This is easy!" the max I can seem to get on this is 600 personal points for killing air defense aircraft.  I tried higher tiers, lower tiers, light fighters, heavy, multirole.  Not sure if there is some magic formula I am missing but for the most part, getting about 300 to 500 personal points is average.  Then there are the battles with very few air defense aircraft in general, where my score is around 200-300 so this one is a slog.  

What am I missing?  

I am getting the same, 525 in each of my 1st 2 ties. completed distinction in the first battle.  I'm not sure how they calculate the personal points associated to taking out defense aircraft.  The attrition missions seem more about grinding than the Invasion missions.  It is easy, just a grind. 20 battles.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

TWITCH  |  YOUTUBE  |  FACEBOOK  |  TWITTER

SpiritFoxMY #5 Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:43 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1288 battles

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 11 March 2018 - 05:40 AM, said:

I am getting the same, 525 in each of my 1st 2 ties. completed distinction in the first battle.  I'm not sure how they calculate the personal points associated to taking out defense aircraft.  The attrition missions seem more about grinding than the Invasion missions.  It is easy, just a grind. 20 battles.

Assuming 500 average. My average is 200 :/ That's 50 battles

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

MARS_REVENANT #6 Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:50 AM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 2960 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 11 March 2018 - 12:43 AM, said:

50 battles over 15 days though. + you may get some epic games.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

Bobby_Tables #7 Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:02 AM

• 2149 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 10 March 2018 - 11:43 PM, said:

500 seems to be the number if that is what you concentrate on in the battle.  It's actually a good lesson in capping since everyone still seems to feel the need to get into the center furball and not let go.  It does force one to concentrate on capping.  If I focus on it, I can get 300 min and lately flying a bit higher tiers, maybe 400 to 500.  

I moved back to grinding my 190D so I can get that rocket-spammer German plane and that takes a bite out of what I can achieve.  So far it seems that fighters are the best and the ones that can move between sectors fast and get good altitude are best.  The slower turn and burn planes just cannot move between sectors fast enough.  Also, those high flying defense planes are usually left alone.  

Then again, it is still a grind.  Not hard, just a grind and a half.  I thought I was just being dense and there was some trick I was missing.  I guess the trick is to grind, grind, grind.   

SpiritFoxMY #8 Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1288 battles

View PostBobby_Tables, on 11 March 2018 - 06:02 AM, said:

500 seems to be the number if that is what you concentrate on in the battle.  It's actually a good lesson in capping since everyone still seems to feel the need to get into the center furball and not let go.  It does force one to concentrate on capping.  If I focus on it, I can get 300 min and lately flying a bit higher tiers, maybe 400 to 500.  

I moved back to grinding my 190D so I can get that rocket-spammer German plane and that takes a bite out of what I can achieve.  So far it seems that fighters are the best and the ones that can move between sectors fast and get good altitude are best.  The slower turn and burn planes just cannot move between sectors fast enough.  Also, those high flying defense planes are usually left alone.  

Then again, it is still a grind.  Not hard, just a grind and a half.  I thought I was just being dense and there was some trick I was missing.  I guess the trick is to grind, grind, grind.   

What I find most annoying with this mission is that it forces me to choose between the most effective capture target and the one which allows me to complete the mission faster - after all, the fastest way to capture a point is to shoot down Red team players/player bots but those don't count towards this mission. Been numerous occasions where I've been forced to pick between capturing a point with a player kill or risking a protracted capture battle by going for the ADF bot.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Bobby_Tables #9 Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:49 AM

• 2149 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

[Edit: I said this was not a well thought out mission, but I take that back.  I think it is a well thought out mission because it makes humans concentrate on capping rather than camping on the center sector.  I have played many a grind missions for real gold back when GhostPrime did some challenges.  Heck, I learned to play GA on some mega challenge where I walked away with something like 3000 gold for 5th place by playing day after day against some of the best.  We should all get on GhostPrime to bring that stuff back now that 2.0 has been out for so long.   

Keeep er moving....

One extra hint I will give.  I have been trending toward my US .50 cal planes that can manuever rather than the big boomer cannon planes.  Not sure if that will work for the rest of you but if you can get from cap to cap and then burn down some of them defenders before everyone else shows up, it helps.  The defender planes change direction a lot so having a fighter than can adjust helps.  

Also, I have noticed once you turn a red to a little blue, all the sudden the bots come out of the woodwork to help.  And.... of course lessen your chances of finishing this mission quickly, but I do seem to win a lot more when I turn a couple caps just a bit.  Everything seems to flow downhill from there.  

Edited by Bobby_Tables, 11 March 2018 - 08:02 AM.

toshiaki_virgin #10 Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:08 AM

Master Sergeant

• 1277 battles

1 Defense aircraft is 75 personal points.
In other words, in order to achieve this mission, it is necessary to shoot down 134 defense aircraft.
Let's forget the victory, kill only the defense aircraft.

I recommend using a tier 10 fighter.
As you know, the population of Tier 10 is small so 1 human vs 1 human battle occurs frequently.
Therefore, even if the team loses, no one complains to you.

And look at the next mission (additional):facepalm:

comtedumas #11 Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:14 AM

• 3856 battles
  • [FK] FK

What am I missing?  

Took me all night from midnight to 6am Friday and about an hour on Saturday.  It’s that difficult.  Missions get easier after that.  12 isn’t bad, nec, (I had to bomber hunt in my A26B just to make sure there was another bomber on the other team. ). Also on mission 12, bomber flights do not count for mission completion.  

Mission 13 and 14 are super easy if you can bomber well, something I am pretty good at.  2 missions to complete 13, and 14 is Grindy but not terribly.  

Edited by comtedumas, 11 March 2018 - 08:17 AM.

comtedumas #12 Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:15 AM

• 3856 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 11 March 2018 - 12:40 AM, said:

Heavy ada aircraft seem to be worth 75 pats.  I think light planes are 30.  

comtedumas #13 Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:20 AM

• 3856 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostBobby_Tables, on 11 March 2018 - 02:49 AM, said:

[Edit: I said this was not a well thought out mission, but I take that back.  I think it is a well thought out mission because it makes humans concentrate on capping rather than camping on the center sector.  I have played many a grind missions for real gold back when GhostPrime did some challenges.  Heck, I learned to play GA on some mega challenge where I walked away with something like 3000 gold for 5th place by playing day after day against some of the best.  We should all get on GhostPrime to bring that stuff back now that 2.0 has been out for so long.   

Keeep er moving....

One extra hint I will give.  I have been trending toward my US .50 cal planes that can manuever rather than the big boomer cannon planes.  Not sure if that will work for the rest of you but if you can get from cap to cap and then burn down some of them defenders before everyone else shows up, it helps.  The defender planes change direction a lot so having a fighter than can adjust helps.  

Also, I have noticed once you turn a red to a little blue, all the sudden the bots come out of the woodwork to help.  And.... of course lessen your chances of finishing this mission quickly, but I do seem to win a lot more when I turn a couple caps just a bit.  Everything seems to flow downhill from there.  

My best plane for that mission was P47N with rockets.   

Soylent_Red_Isnt_People #14 Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:06 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2309 battles
  • [SOL] SOL

View Posttoshiaki_virgin, on 11 March 2018 - 06:08 AM, said:

Let's forget the victory, kill only the defense aircraft.

I recommend using a tier 10 fighter.

I might disagree - I took out the La15 and spent most of my time having to defend versus red bots swarming in at me rather than getting to shoot at defense planes, netting just 330 points.

Map configuration also played a part; strongholds bad, garrisons and command centers good.

The least I did was obviously no planes in a few because of team lineups; otherwise I ranged from 100 odd to a max of 900 (FJ1), averaging around 600'ish.

I just started at tier X and worked down through my planes, either until I got the x3 or played enough games to unlock a module I wanted.

Five games each with the FJ1 & Banshee, but I didn't notice a score difference between tiers (IV to X) or planes - nor much change in efficiency between types.

I skipped the Mustang, although the Tomahawk & Russian P40 did okay.

Edited by Soylent_Red_Isnt_People, 12 March 2018 - 07:45 AM.

"If they don't chase you after a mile, they don't chase ya.... Maybe it's two miles...."   ---   "You wanna play it soft, we'll play it soft. You wanna play it hard, let's play it hard."

5801234590.png

''Under control? You're grabbing a f**king bazooka, you dumba**!''

BuffaloTime #15 Posted 11 March 2018 - 01:36 PM

• 2887 battles
  • [3MNKY] 3MNKY
Fly tier 10 if you have it. This way you don't let your human team down.

Fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark and brother, it's starting to rain.

StoptheViolins #16 Posted 11 March 2018 - 02:03 PM

• 1465 battles
T4-6 seemed to be the most populated.  While only a 1/10 matches at T9 had more than one person - usually more than 50% for that one game.  "Up tiering" could be hit or miss.  Just like the missions themselves.  Some are like 20-40 battle grind fest while some can be done in 1-2 battles like the do 30k/8k damage to ground targets/and win mission sets.  Literally one victory in a GA.

Some of the missions are written with the assumption that teams are balanced with a lot of cp back and forth. MM ensures that they are not balanced. I really didn't understand how the bots were different on each team until I saw a red bot 260 rack up 3-4 kills in a row one shotting my team.

My team didn't even have a 260.  I wish WoWP had replays as the match was hilarious in a sad sort of way.

Soylent_Red_Isnt_People #17 Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:52 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2309 battles
  • [SOL] SOL

View PostStoptheViolins, on 11 March 2018 - 12:03 PM, said:

MM ensures that they are not balanced.

I just cannot understand how it happens so often that more, if not all, of the Spitfires or their equivalents from other nations end up on the red team; and that in addition the best pilot(s) (whether bot or human) is also on red.

"If they don't chase you after a mile, they don't chase ya.... Maybe it's two miles...."   ---   "You wanna play it soft, we'll play it soft. You wanna play it hard, let's play it hard."

5801234590.png

''Under control? You're grabbing a f**king bazooka, you dumba**!''

MARS_REVENANT #18 Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:28 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 2960 battles

What am I missing?  

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 11 March 2018 - 12:40 AM, said:

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 11 March 2018 - 12:43 AM, said:

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 11 March 2018 - 12:50 AM, said:

50 battles over 15 days though. + you may get some epic games.

View PostBobby_Tables, on 11 March 2018 - 01:02 AM, said:

View PostBobby_Tables, on 11 March 2018 - 02:49 AM, said:

Keeep er moving....

Mission update.  I finished this last night over a total of 19 battles.  I tried multiple tiers and plane types HF, MR, and LF, and I didn't really notice 1 being any better than the other.  I had some low battles, some high battles but still averaged 525/battle.  Held a decent win rate of about 70% for the night.  Just make it a point to go from sector to sector taking out the defense aircraft.  This actually helps your win rate as you are capturing sectors while your team gets the multipliers for killing planes.

SgtSchlautter #19 Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:22 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2246 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR
Easily the longest mission to complete so far. Took me at least 6 hrs alone just to complete it. Honestly, if u get 500 in a single match, u did really well. My advice is this: only focus air defense the whole match and give up trying g to win or lose. If u really want to win, then get a flight mate. Secondly, it seems it only gives credit if you kill the air defense plane. Any combat points awarded for dealing damage is not counted (or this mission could be done in like 2-3 battles). So focus on killing the air defense. Not just damaging. This is the grindy-est mission

MARS_REVENANT #20 Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:51 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 2960 battles

View PostSgtSchlautter, on 12 March 2018 - 10:22 AM, said:

Easily the longest mission to complete so far. Took me at least 6 hrs alone just to complete it. Honestly, if u get 500 in a single match, u did really well. My advice is this: only focus air defense the whole match and give up trying g to win or lose. If u really want to win, then get a flight mate. Secondly, it seems it only gives credit if you kill the air defense plane. Any combat points awarded for dealing damage is not counted (or this mission could be done in like 2-3 battles). So focus on killing the air defense. Not just damaging. This is the grindy-est mission

Correct.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users