Attrition isn't as crappy as Invasion

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

TheMadPizzler #1 Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:38 AM

Master Sergeant

• 2311 battles

If I ignore the advertised Missions and look at base game play, "Attrition" is no way near as gawd awful as "Invasion"....   however.....  this is because it's just like normal game play.  In the middle of battle, I'm worried about killing and not being killed... I see numbers in places where there were no numbers, and reading the rules of the event, I know these numbers mean something... but who really cares?   It would be effectively the same if capturing bases gave more victory points in a normal match... and giving more points for kills outside of bases (which I fully support)... so yeah.. basically, it's like playing a normal game.   Finally WG!!!!  You created a game mode that wasn't a step back!!!(I'm totally cool with treading water, or making slight improvements!!!!  ... but big improvements would be better too.. but I dream, I dream)

And.. yes.. life is much better if one just ignores the actual 'special event objectives.' 

So.... I guess I only have to skip weekends that force us to play Invasion.

Edited by TheMadPizzler, 10 March 2018 - 07:47 AM.

LMG #2 Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:49 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1641 battles

It feels a lot more functional for sure, though I'm slightly saddened by ground pounders not really being able to do much aside of letting their team win harder. I'll have to see if I change my opinion by the end, but so far on my GAAs I don't always feel like I'm really turning the tables on the enemy team and more like keeping them in check. It's especially bad when it's one player ground pounder vs one player fighter :ohmy:

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

SpiritFoxMY #3 Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:07 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1718 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostLMG, on 10 March 2018 - 07:49 AM, said:

It feels a lot more functional for sure, though I'm slightly saddened by ground pounders not really being able to do much aside of letting their team win harder. I'll have to see if I change my opinion by the end, but so far on my GAAs I don't always feel like I'm really turning the tables on the enemy team and more like keeping them in check. It's especially bad when it's one player ground pounder vs one player fighter :ohmy:

Flight up with a fighter. I did an IL-2/Spitfire I combo and it was hilarious.

Still only contributed one capture though :sceptic: This 30 Capture mission is annoying.

Edited by SpiritFoxMY, 10 March 2018 - 09:08 AM.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

LMG #4 Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1641 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 10 March 2018 - 04:07 AM, said:

Flight up with a fighter. I did an IL-2/Spitfire I combo and it was hilarious.

Still only contributed one capture though :sceptic: This 30 Capture mission is annoying.

Sadly I don't really have anyone to fly with :(

Edited by LMG, 10 March 2018 - 04:29 PM.

Reitousair #5 Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:18 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5057 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostLMG, on 09 March 2018 - 11:49 PM, said:

I've been flying GA recently and have found it to be that you're indirectly helping your team. Denying the enemy capture points means that when they start racking up kills your team doesn't lose a ton of resources. However, I've had a couple matches where I managed to dominate the capture zones on the map and was shredding anybody who was dumb enough to pick a fight with me, was a smart person who knew how to fight a GA but for the most part I just racked up a ton of kills. I think I left that match with 7 air kills and 13 ground kills without getting shot down once.

Still, I'm indifferent to how GA play in this mode, it's less direct than Conquest but still critical in Attrition, both modes still place GA as a very powerful late game tool to turn the tides at a moments notice.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

TheMadPizzler #6 Posted 10 March 2018 - 05:31 PM

Master Sergeant

• 2311 battles

I really haven't noticed a different play style for any type of aircraft... this mode is basically a psychological change and not a real 'game-play' change.  Capping helps win with point subtraction multiplier (i.e., = gives you more victory points in regular game) and killing planes subtracts resource points (= gaining victory points for killing enemy planes in regular game... with the bonus of more affect when killing enemies outside of bases).  

So.. basically this event is an example of the  Commutative Property of math applied to game play (they just swapped out a negative process of 'resources' for the additive process of 'victory points' with a slight and better flavor.

pyantoryng #7 Posted 10 March 2018 - 06:04 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1453 battles

Basically Conquest sans the GAA sneak attack snatching away wins for the most part. The ground pounding takes a more supportive role as the aerial combat role increased....and mining plants are replaced by strongholds.

The most importing thing is that it doesn't feel as alien as Invasion...just like Encounter and Assault mode in Tanks, the former is acceptable while the latter I had it turned off for years and no longer bother...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

SgtSchlautter #8 Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:47 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3194 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR
I really enjoy this mode too. Just wish the matches were a little longer. Just can't seem to get as great of scores consistently as I can on the standard conquest

Tyrannas #9 Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:20 PM

Airman Basic

• 1054 battles
I like attrition the only annoyance is that very rarely is there an evenly matched game that is close.  This is true in conquest too so i dont think its due to the game mode and is more related to player and bot disparity.  Nothing more frustrating than seeing every sector blue as a bomber/gaa and no signs of the other team making a comeback

The_Wild_Weasel #10 Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:31 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1629 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostLMG, on 10 March 2018 - 11:14 AM, said:

Sadly I don't really have anyone to fly with :(

Come check out JG52 ! 

trikke #11 Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1729 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

just a few battles today and none over the weekend, but i got a taste of it and i really liked it

Conquest has become fairly automatic;  do this, do that, keep your eye on this and you're on the way to a win... mostly 

this is just different enough to feel familiar and new at the same time 

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

LostInFog #12 Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:58 PM

Senior Airman

• 1511 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
I don't understand why but I really really struggle in Attrition mode. Even when I personally do well, the other team is 20-30 points ahead. The change from conquest may be subtle but attrition is just so much more frustrating! I thought Invasion was much better. Yes, it had balance problems but it was more interesting because of just how different it was.

LMG #13 Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1641 battles

View PostTyrannas, on 12 March 2018 - 11:20 AM, said:

I like attrition the only annoyance is that very rarely is there an evenly matched game that is close.  This is true in conquest too so i dont think its due to the game mode and is more related to player and bot disparity.  Nothing more frustrating than seeing every sector blue as a bomber/gaa and no signs of the other team making a comeback

I'd say I've seen more "even" matches on Conquest than on Attrition. Part of it is that in Conquest there's usually something that can be done to turn the tables on the enemy, aside of serious stomps that end the game in like 5 minutes in. If a team can't accomplish major map control, they can still opt to delay the enemy until the squall line comes in and then take to the skies to win by elimination. Or if the team is quickly being taken down it's also possible to secure enough sectors for a score victory and play defensively. It's more about figuring out what to do and how to do it.

With Attrition you kinda have one real choice, which is shoot down anything that can shoot back. If your team can't properly take on the enemy team you're kinda screwed unless you get lucky with bots drifting away from the main group, and even then you still need the majority of sectors captured for it to have a tangible effect on an uneven match, something which isn't easy when the enemy already has significant control of the battlefield anyways (unless they're condensed in a deathball, in which case you still have to break it open to get any points). It takes out the multiple victories aspect of conquest and leaves you with a more streamlined gameplay of "every one do their job and we win", except that now ground pounders' job does not directly allow a team to win. They're still needed to keep the enemy from getting a major score lead, but it doesn't prevent them from doing so anyways. Going anti-GAA/Bot can help get the team a few extra points, but doing so actively can hamper the team's ability to secure sectors (let alone getting stuck in an eternal circle dance with an equal GAA, which can at worse take the whole match to conclude, and I know that from experience :()

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users