XF15C Guide Video Review

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

MagusGerhardt #1 Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:58 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 485 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Here is the second half of the offerings from Operation Westwall; the experimental mixed propulsion naval fighter, the Curtiss XF15C "Sky Shark".  The US Navy was interested in a mixed propulsion aircraft for use on board the Essex and Midway class carriers under construction and in use by the USN fleet.  This unorthodox secondary power plant would have increased the reliability and survivability of the aircraft, sharing the ability of most American twin-engine aircraft to return to base with one engine knocked out.  Most importantly, the Sky Shark gained this ruggedness without having the terrible agility of most twin engine aircraft of the day.  The Sky Shark had a very rough development through prototype phase; the distribution of weight into the back end of the aircraft due to the second Allis-Chalmers engine gave it a center of gravity different from aircraft then in use.  This, along with the complicated nature of a dual propulsion aircraft led to an inevitable incident in testing.  The prototype XF15C was involved in a fiery crash while attempting to land after completing a test flight.  Her pilot (the primary pilot for the XF15C project) was killed in the crash.  All further development was halted as the incident was investigated.  By the time that problems had been addressed, the US Navy had lost interest in the concept and the project was cancelled in favor of more traditional designs.  The aircraft that took the Sky Shark's place did not last long; being quickly replaced by purely jet powered carrier aircraft soon after entering service.

In world of Warplanes the Sky Shark is an interesting aircraft.  Her attributes are very close to those of the Lockheed P-80A Shooting Star, with a smidgen of speed and maneuverability traded for the fact that the Sky Shark carries two pairs of 20mm cannons in her wings close to the root rather than banks of 50 cals like very other American light fighter at this tier.  This allows her to do her job quite well; namely hunting down enemy heavy fighters, bombers, bushwacking unsuspecting enemy fighters and even making strafing runs on low flying attackers.  The Sky Shark is a great offering, and if you like the Shooting Star or the Mustang series of aircraft but want more "punch" in your attacks...rejoice, for this is the fighter you have been waiting for.

Good hunting!  :honoring:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

ArrowZ_ #2 Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:10 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 950 battles
I want dis! :ohmy:

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

WOWP 2.0 Videos Playlist

MagusGerhardt #3 Posted 06 March 2018 - 02:17 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 485 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostArrowZ_, on 05 March 2018 - 06:10 PM, said:

I want dis! :ohmy:

:teethhappy:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

Reitousair #4 Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:02 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5929 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

This was the aircraft that I was most interested in but won't be getting because rip me I don't want to bother with the missions. 

Looks to be decent, however I think the I-250 is far superior to it when played correctly, I would know since I've been shredding people in their shiny new toys with it :trollface:

Still, always interesting to get a quick bit of a history lesson on aircraft, while I usually go digging myself it's always fascinating to see a bit of history of an aircraft you haven't even heard of let alone read about yet.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

Raindrops #5 Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:13 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 92 battles
  • [EDF] EDF
I feel I must protest the name "Sky Shark" when Douglas already lays claim to that name with the A2D.

I never said I was good.

USA needs GA too.

MagusGerhardt #6 Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:48 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 485 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostRaindrops, on 06 March 2018 - 12:13 AM, said:

I feel I must protest the name "Sky Shark" when Douglas already lays claim to that name with the A2D.

Yep!  I'm aware of the Douglas Sky Shark, but I don't see the A2D being included in the game anytime soon, and it's easier for me to say "Sky Shark" in battle coms or conversation than it is to say "Ex Eff Fifteen See."

I'm open to alternatives, but they'd have to be darn good, seeing as I already made thumbnail art and everything.  :teethhappy:

MagusGerhardt #7 Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:49 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 485 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Also, it's good to see you again, Raindrops.  Been a long long time.  :honoring:

Also tagged with XF15C, Guide, Video, Review

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users