I actually am enjoying Westwall a lot

westwall fun enjoyment family entertainment wholesome goodness

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Bobby_Tables #1 Posted 05 March 2018 - 05:45 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 2598 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

So going against the grain here, I like Westwall.  I have played more in the past few days and I really like the pace of the battles.  Granted, there are some flaws, but overall, you need to strategize, coordinate and pay attention to details.  The latter point, I admit is my weakness when it comes to this game.  I tend to get caught up in the chase but this mode has me thinking with more strategery.

I don't mind when the games are just a few minutes due to a crushing loss or overwhelming win.  It just means I can get back in and give it another go.  The missions are tough, yes, but I am used to that and grinding is something I am way used to so I am fine with the things like 5 rocket kills, etc.  

Overall, I have to say "good going WG!"  I know there are a LOT of complaints, but I think it's from people who are not used to the grind.  I have found that over the last two days, the attacking forces have become much more adept at winning so I think a lot of people are learning this new mode.  The first day was a nightmare, but now I find people are figuring out that caps rule when attacking.  Sure, the bots (and many humans) still gather over an already capped airfield as if that's going to change anything, but overall more humans and (maybe) bots are starting to figure out that capping is key when attacking.

Signed,

Bobby_Tables

Westwall Fanboi    

SpiritFoxMY #2 Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:01 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1677 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

+1 

I wouldn't say Westwall per se, but the Invasion mode. I think it's really really fun, the only issue being that the Attackers still have a higher skill cap than the defenders.

Edited by SpiritFoxMY, 05 March 2018 - 06:03 AM.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Reitousair #3 Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:20 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4951 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

Hmm... enjoying Westwall, HERETIC!!! In all seriousness however, I have a sharp disdain for this event, a lot of the missions if you want one of those shiny "new" (the XF15C has been out for a long time after doing some research) planes encourage very selfish and bad play. I also cannot go back to Conquest-which while it still suffers from flaws is more controllable and lasts longer-which means taking advantage of the X3 bonus was basically luck for me and I couldn't effectively take advantage of the UK weekend. However a lot of people dislike Invasion, so I guess I should give my two cents on it as well.

I immediately hated the new gamemode, since I couldn't reliably get my X3's done without risking ending up on Attackers and getting destroyed. However, one match it was only two player Attackers vs. three player Defenders, we coordinated extremely well and almost pulled off a win, only losing out due to the clock running out as we were attacking the final stronghold. After that, we decided to flight up, when I was flighted, I found even Attackers having a plausible chance to win. Superior tactics > superior positioning.

However, despite a large pool of wins forming no matter what composition we brought to the table and no matter what side we were on. I still think Invasion is a bad gamemode. It took a highly coordinated teammate to make Attackers stand a good chance at winning (and all of those wins were extremely hard-fought), while with Defenders we could just do whatever and the extreme advantage we had effectively allowed us to not coordinate at all and still come off with dominant victories. It's no fun to be on a side that's effectively easy mode and you can just do whatever and get rewarded, but it's also not fun to have to work SO HARD, far harder than anybody on the enemy team, and still get punished because you got matched on the incorrect side of the gamemode.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

Blast_Radius1 #4 Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:10 AM

Master Sergeant

• 1324 battles
I didn't like invasion to begin with, until I watched what winning teams were doing and started doing some of the same. Bit of a faster pace, and things can turn to custard right quick if you're not careful. One thing I have noticed is that attack teams seem to be doing a bit better now, but they are definitely at a disadvantage, imho.

Landsraad #5 Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:29 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 257 battles
  • [5PANZ] 5PANZ
The mode still seems some balancing, but yeah, overall I'm liking it. Honestly my biggest gripe with the mode itself personally is that matchmaking is terrible when one side has to have all of the attack planes and bombers. The defenders now have nothing but aircraft meant for air to air combat, plus support from AA and defense aircraft, while the attackers have at best half a team of fighters to defend their ground-targeting teammates. Keeping the teams equal-sized isn't really doing any favors balance wise.

bjorn1984 #6 Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:24 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2522 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

I have really been enjoying the invasion mode too. Yes it has flaws and needs a little bit of work, but still fun. He is a replay of a defense I did.

and here is an attack

Check out my online content
Facebook: www.facebook.com/The_Mighty_Bjorn1984-525235531209893/
Youtube: www.youtube.com/channel/UCSJ6ptZRxCBV4MVqsOAI6TQ
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/mightybjorn1984

FIight #7 Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:05 AM

• 2833 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

The mode has no major problem, the missions: ill-conceived;

Reito mentioned those missions do not encourage healthy

game play, and some of those are just hard to accomplish.

Kill 10 air defense aircraft? Why should we focus on killing ada when you get caps flipped much more quickly by killing enemy team? And why the mission when you can see <10 ada in a battle?

Kill 15 aircraft in a single battle...again that is quite chancy, and the mode does not have enough time for you to get the kill.

Still, I would suggest those dev to play the mode themselves before releasing the missions. Making 3 kills by rockets makes more sense than

that air defense aircraft mission.

Edited by FIight, 05 March 2018 - 11:06 AM.

gerr22 #8 Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:21 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1962 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

if it has wings fly it

if it has guns shoot them

if you are red you re dead

play on you lot

kidflash113 #9 Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:47 AM

Master Sergeant

• 419 battles

I actually don't mind the mode and think they should add it to the map rotation once the event is over as part of the regular battle que.

Now with that said let me clarify I like the mode but only because I decided not to worry about the impossible missions to get the planes and just play the battle heck i am an ok player but i'm honest enough to know I am not good enough to complete all the missions to get the free planes.

The new event is defiantly not newcomer friendly and I guarantee the developers who came up with these missions couldn't complete them either or do not play the game.

Edited by kidflash113, 05 March 2018 - 11:48 AM.

FreeFOXMIKE #10 Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:12 PM

G.A.T.P. (Global Alpha Test Pilot)

• 1991 battles
  • [332ND] 332ND
Me likey but wish it was not in parts but it is good to be able to choose any AC regardless of nationality 

Edited by FreeFOXMIKE, 05 March 2018 - 12:12 PM.

332 Virtual  Fighter  Group

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #11 Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:11 PM

First Lieutenant

• 399 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

The State of the Union, Democrat rebuttal:

View PostBobby_Tables, on 05 March 2018 - 12:45 AM, said:

So going against logic here, I like Westwall.

Cheers,

Bobby_Tables

Westwall Fanboi   

(Single) clap, clap, clap....

well played sir

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

Cenotaph #12 Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:31 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2422 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

Game mode: Not horrible, needs work on balance and serious tweaking on the economy... exp flows like water, and you can lose credits on a win.

Missions: Absolutely horrible when combined with Invasion (Seem quite doable in Conquest tho, if that was an option), bad for game-play in general by making people afraid of dying in a mode DESIGNED around a respawn mechanic.

The lack of ability to opt out is also a mistake, imo... people don't like having things crammed down their throats

I don't want to hurt you... I just want to kill you!

shirime #13 Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:37 PM

Master Sergeant

• 3799 battles
  • [FPOA] FPOA

Not that I'm thinking we'll actually see them, but it would be interesting the see the data coming out of the weekend. It does feel like the attack/defense balance could use a tweak.

I had the odd misfortune of starting the weekend on some really good attack teams (Friday night) that really roflstomped the defense; we went where they were weak, built up a good timer cushion, then massed well to win the battle of attrition at center (where, of course, the defense team had over-concentrated). That stupid small sample size had me wondering why my clanmates groaned when we were put on attack.

Next two days solved that mystery; I'd guesstimate that the defense won about 80% of the games. Not that the wins on attack weren't particularly satisfying because of it, in the way it is particularly satisfying to win when the deck is stacked against you, but then that only really appeals to the minority of us who are truly masochistic. 

I don't really care about the gift planes, they'll be nice to have if it works out, but I'm not going to tailor/bastardize my play every weekend this month to get them. All the missions look doable, with the right planes in your hanger, the right flight partners, the right MM, and a bit of luck (i.e., tools, tactics, and patience); I'm just not interested in dragging a clanmate through shadowing my GA for enough games for me not to die once... 

Apart from that there are some issues with the economics of the mode, especially mid-tier (say, 6-7-8); with game duration issues and target limitations, the rewards were pretty consistently paltry, even with top score on team. High tier seemed fine for rewards, if a little short of Conquest, and low (4-5) seemed pretty consistent with Conquest. I'm assuming that ultimately it will be random what mode you get when you click "BATTLE"; Conquest, Invasion, or Attrition (can't imagine they'd splinter the population by giving users control over mode); it would be a shame to have progress towards new planes slowed or accelerated based on mode economics and not player performance.

I have really appreciated how the mode shifts the calculus (somewhat) of what planes you want to bring; I think I played my Starfire more this weekend than I have all year. It's great to have something to shake up the status quo of "good planes" vs "bad planes". 

Cenotaph #14 Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:43 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2422 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

Have you guys actually paid attention to the EXP? I've had matches when I earned less than 1000 mastery, and got exp scores higher than anything I've ever had in Conquest.

My very first flight in my Spit 14... 960ish mastery, 5660 base exp... (As in, bought it and flew it.. not first flight on Invasion mode with a pre-existing aircraft)

And it was probably one of the only matches I had where I made a decent credit profit, that was comparable to a good match in Conquest. (Exaggeration, slightly... but still)

Edited by Cenotaph, 05 March 2018 - 03:48 PM.

shirime #15 Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:53 PM

Master Sergeant

• 3799 battles
  • [FPOA] FPOA

View PostCenotaph, on 05 March 2018 - 03:43 PM, said:

Have you guys actually paid attention to the EXP? I've had matches when I earned less than 1000 mastery, and got exp scores higher than anything I've ever had in Conquest.

My very first flight in my Spit 14... 960ish mastery, 5660 base exp... (As in, bought it and flew it.. not first flight on Invasion mode with a pre-existing aircraft)

And it was probably one of the only matches I had where I made a decent credit profit, that was comparable to a good match in Conquest. (Exaggeration, slightly... but still)

Yeah, we had two guys in our clan with XP PBs this weekend, and on games that on the face of them didn't seem like anything really remarkable. The economics are a little wonky compared to Conquest. Maybe I'm being selfish on this front; I have piles and piles of planes that I have researched but can't scrape the credits together to buy; I just seem to have a playstyle that gets more XP than credits generally. 

SpiritFoxMY #16 Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1677 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostCenotaph, on 05 March 2018 - 03:43 PM, said:

1240 Mastery gave me 8,407 XP last night, and over 130k Silver in my BV212.03. I'm more than halfway to the BV215 in just two and a half days of fighting. Overall I've tripled my silver cache this weekend from 1.3m to 3.9m.

I'm running a premium account though, so results may vary.

Edited by SpiritFoxMY, 05 March 2018 - 03:54 PM.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Cenotaph #17 Posted 05 March 2018 - 04:27 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2422 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 05 March 2018 - 03:54 PM, said:

I'm running a premium account though, so results may vary.

Yeah, that's gonna throw of the calculations... a mode shouldn't be balanced around owning prem time.

I never really lost alot of credits, but you shouldn't lose cash on a win unless you run absurd amounts of Universal.

Overall I'm still turning a profit... just not nearly as much as Conquest.

Bobby_Tables #18 Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:36 AM

• 2598 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

I also noticed the silver economy seemed to take a hit during the event and it seemed like my EXP was through the roof.  I was getting multiple percent increases in pilot skill levels on planes where it usually takes me 2 or 3 battles to notice any movement in skill percent.  

Then again, silver down, nifty consumables up, so there's some give and take I guess.  

Anyway, good feedback.  I am looking forward to Attrition believe it or not.  

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users