So about the Russian fighters...

Russian planes Light Fighters

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

NovaTempest #1 Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:20 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6415 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
My other weak point in terms of aircraft I have a grasp of in World of warplanes aside from the Fw 190 line are the Russian fighter aircraft, While i do have the I-16 L and the I-17 researched, I'm hanging on to the I-16 E (for now) to get the pilot's experience up and get some skills.

So my question is, based on player experience, what are the standout characteristics of each of the fighter lines starting at tier 5? It will dictate which line i decide to go down first. I've heard the MiG line usually has good brawling weaponry, and I'm aware the Yak-7 Line is a bunch of sniping, but what about the other two in particular? (Any advice on the former two i mentioned would be totally welcomed as well honestly.)

Edited by NovaTempest, 28 February 2018 - 06:20 PM.

pyantoryng #2 Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:43 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2171 battles

Yak-1/3 are the true brawlers that focuses on maneuverability but can hardly go high, can use top tier guns right from tier 8 but it's a long grind, unless you get it from somewhere else first.

The MiGs weapons are lighter than the other Russian fighters and has worse maneuverability but has better altitude capabilities. They get big guns at the high tier bracket. In other words, they aren't brawlers.

The Lavochkins are the jack-of-all-trades, has heavy firepower while being maneuverable enough to keep up with a variety of planes, with enough engine power to fight vertical for a short time.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Hardstrike #3 Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:47 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 6495 battles
  • [SF] SF
The Yak line splits into the fighters and the multi roles.  The fighters are highly agile with decent but not great firepower.  As you said above, the multi roles are notable for the big hub guns that can mess up an enemy from range.  The Lagg/La line is a sort of in the middle style of brawler.  While the Mig line works well as energy fighters, the La line is generally faster climbing and higher flying than the turn fighters, but with better maneuverability than the energy fighters.  They usually have good to excellent firepower for fighters.  I use them like the Spitfire, turn against the American Mustangs and German 109's.  And out climb and flat outrun the Japanese Zero's and Russian Yak's.
Fly crooked and shoot straight.

egikov #4 Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:07 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 4178 battles
  • [LNSTR] LNSTR

Mig-3 line - High altitude interceptor, medium hp, weak/average armament, usually not as fast as enemies. Many different planes, some are fast, some more maneuverable. Many prototype planes.

Yak-1 line - Low altitude fighter, low hp, weak/average armament, very maneuverable (not as Zero), usually faster than Japanese Zero. (I prefer this one)

La-5 line - Medium attitude fighter, good hp, very good cannon armament, big boost. More maneuverable than Bf-109, but less maneuverable than Japanese Ki line and Spitfire (one of the worst enemies for La-5).

Yak-9 - Low altitude fighter, a little more hp than La-5 line, big slow cannon armament, has the worst maneuverability (the same as P-51 Mustang maneuverability).

Soylent_Red_Isnt_People #5 Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:25 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2395 battles

Something else that can at times hinder the Lavochkin line is not so much how fast the guns overheat, but that their listed altitude is almost a hard cap until tier IX; once at yellow they all lose quite a lot of their maneuverability.

The planes can tangle (to various degrees...) with 'Spits, Zeros, or Nakajimas but cannot climb with them, so it isn't by any means uncommon for the dogfights to be going on hundreds of meters above these aircraft.

Heavies also seem to be attracted to these planes; can't vouch for how they might fair versus bot Mustangs as I almost never saw any on red.

Edited by Soylent_Red_Isnt_People, 01 March 2018 - 07:26 AM.

"If they don't chase you after a mile, they don't chase ya.... Maybe it's two miles...."   ---   "You wanna play it soft, we'll play it soft. You wanna play it hard, let's play it hard."

5801234590.png

''Under control? You're grabbing a f**king bazooka, you dumba**!''

Capture Points & You --- Graphic Settings Explored --- Grinding Tokens; Not so Daily Missions --- Ground Targets & Mission Types in 2.0 --- Equipment 2.0.5; Huh?

jack_wdw #6 Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:31 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 2196 battles

View Postegikov, on 01 March 2018 - 07:07 AM, said:

Mig-3 line - High altitude interceptor, medium hp, weak/average armament, usually not as fast as enemies. Many different planes, some are fast, some more maneuverable. Many prototype planes.

Yak-1 line - Low altitude fighter, low hp, weak/average armament, very maneuverable (not as Zero), usually faster than Japanese Zero. (I prefer this one)

La-5 line - Medium attitude fighter, good hp, very good cannon armament, big boost. More maneuverable than Bf-109, but less maneuverable than Japanese Ki line and Spitfire (one of the worst enemies for La-5).

Yak-9 - Low altitude fighter, a little more hp than La-5 line, big slow cannon armament, has the worst maneuverability (the same as P-51 Mustang maneuverability).

mig3 line: only weak armament for the first two planes in that line (mig-3 and i-210)                       (best planes in line: I-220 and Mig-9)

yak1-line: stop researching after Yak-15,  the altitude nerfing makes this line obsolete from tier 9 (best planes in this line: Yak-1M and Yak-15)

egikov #7 Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:26 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 4178 battles
  • [LNSTR] LNSTR

View Postjack_wdw, on 01 March 2018 - 07:31 AM, said:

mig3 line: only weak armament for the first two planes in that line (mig-3 and i-210)                       (best planes in line: I-220 and Mig-9)

yak1-line: stop researching after Yak-15,  the altitude nerfing makes this line obsolete from tier 9 (best planes in this line: Yak-1M and Yak-15)

Altitude was nerfed for everybody. Yak was always low altitude fighter, and at higher tiers there is always plenty of targets at any altitude.

hoom #8 Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:44 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10203 battles

I didn't think MiG-3 had weak armament? No cannon but with 3* 12.7mm seemed to rip stuff up very quick to me.

Not the greatest turner but the height & speed at T5 were amazing for me it being my first altitude fighter.

I-210 has height & speed, better turning maybe but the 2* 20mm was a bit weak.

I-220 is a monster, one of if not outright my favourite plane in the game so far, height, speed & 4* cowling mounted 20mm in a sleek sexeh airframe.

La line was my first T5+ so the LaGG was amazingly fast & agile, lacks hitpower though. Is actually notably inferior to the Yak-1.

La-5 is great once you get the 3* 20mm, its a lot of alpha with good range & cowl mounting on an agile airframe & I've long been a fan of La-5 historically.

La-7 I had a real bad time with, seemed to be a bad intermediate stage.

La-9 is also great with 4* 23mm, pretty good speed & agility.

The first jet of the line La-160 is pretty odd looking with twin big cannon sticking out in front of the intake, overheat quick but do hit decently hard, reasonably quick & agile.

Yak-1 really agile but lacks speed, altitude & firepower.

Yak-1M improves speed & firepower, beautiful sleek airframe.

I was really looking forward to Yak-3 but ultimately found it disappointing, still lacks speed & altitude, has nice burst firepower but the 20mm 2ndaries overheat quicker than the hub 23mm so you can't use them to continue damage while cooling down the hub gun, airframe sprouts a bunch of not so pretty inlets.

Yak-15 has been something of a disappointment too, the twin 23mm gives iffy firepower, agility is really good as expected but the speed is disappointing, still poor altitude, it can work up to decent speeds but takes several boost/cooldown cycles to get there, pretty sure it averages significantly slower than La-9.

Yak-7 like the rest of the line lacks speed, agility & altitude but the hub 37mm hits hard & unlike the US 37mm it'll land where the MGs do.

Yak-9 you get lovely 45mm and sleek airframe but only a single 12.7mm 2ndary.

Yak-9u has a lot of the same downside as Yak-3 with 20mm 2ndaries, also gets same ugly inlets as Yak-3.

Careful investigation of the tree & order of progression across lines will net you a bunch of top guns/engines from stock.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

pyantoryng #9 Posted 02 March 2018 - 03:02 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2171 battles

View Posthoom, on 02 March 2018 - 12:44 AM, said:

Yak-15 has been something of a disappointment too, the twin 23mm gives iffy firepower, agility is really good as expected but the speed is disappointing, still poor altitude, it can work up to decent speeds but takes several boost/cooldown cycles to get there, pretty sure it averages significantly slower than La-9.

Are you using the top 23mm? The stock and middle 23mm are nothing compared to it.

It's as fragile as a B&V though...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

hoom #10 Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:21 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10203 battles
Yep top guns but its only 2 of them, density of fire is the issue.
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

Soylent_Red_Isnt_People #11 Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:46 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2395 battles

View Posthoom, on 01 March 2018 - 10:44 PM, said:

The first jet of the line La-160 is pretty odd looking with twin big cannon sticking out in front of the intake, overheat quick but do hit decently hard, reasonably quick & agile.

I'm tempted at times to go back to using the 37mms; the 30s have good damage, range, & RoF but a weird lob I often have trouble leading correctly where the intermediate cannons are pretty similar to those on the J7W1.

I've only flown the La-15 once so far, and it isn't bad, but kind of lacking in firepower after the VIII & IX aircraft; it's still like flying the IX yet stepping backwards and using the tier VII armament.

Edited by Soylent_Red_Isnt_People, 02 March 2018 - 07:49 AM.

"If they don't chase you after a mile, they don't chase ya.... Maybe it's two miles...."   ---   "You wanna play it soft, we'll play it soft. You wanna play it hard, let's play it hard."

5801234590.png

''Under control? You're grabbing a f**king bazooka, you dumba**!''

Capture Points & You --- Graphic Settings Explored --- Grinding Tokens; Not so Daily Missions --- Ground Targets & Mission Types in 2.0 --- Equipment 2.0.5; Huh?

jack_wdw #12 Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:28 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 2196 battles

View Postegikov, on 01 March 2018 - 11:26 PM, said:

Altitude was nerfed for everybody. Yak was always low altitude fighter, and at higher tiers there is always plenty of targets at any altitude.

Yes i know, but nerfing the yak-15, 19 and 30 to those altitudes is kind of stupid.
IRL they had more or less the same service ceiling as Mig-9 and Mig-15.
You're right that this line was already nerfed in 1.x, and in that game they were really obsolete in tier IX and X.
You could go for the low flying GA's or be a victim of all the higher flying B&Z jets.

I really looked forward to the Yak-3 in this line, but it was one of the greatest disappointments in the game for me.
Stock Yak-15 was also a disappointment, but equipped with all the expensive upgrades, eventually i kinda liked it.

Edited by jack_wdw, 02 March 2018 - 10:48 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users