The Case for Nerfing and/or Removing The Beaufighter.

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Poll: Bristol Beaufighter: Too good? (37 members have cast votes)

Does the Beaufighter have too many strengths?

1. yes (4 votes [10.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.81%

2. no (32 votes [86.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 86.49%

3. I don't know (1 vote [2.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.70%

Was the Beaufighter okay pre-2.0 or was it always this OP and game-breaking?

1. it was okay pre-2.0 (15 votes [40.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.54%

2. it was always this way, just WG never rectified the situation. (4 votes [10.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.81%

3. I don't know (18 votes [48.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 48.65%

Nerf or remove the Beaufighter: what say you?

1. nerf the Beaufighter (2 votes [5.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.71%

2. remove the Beaufighter, and replace it with the more balanced Bristol Beaufort (1 vote [2.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.86%

3. I don't know (32 votes [91.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 91.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

MARS_REVENANT #21 Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:36 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 2961 battles

View Postlegoboy0401, on 14 February 2018 - 10:07 PM, said:

The Case for Nerfing and/or Removing The Beaufighter.

Case Dismissed!

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

TWITCH  |  YOUTUBE  |  FACEBOOK  |  TWITTER

legoboy0401 #22 Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:22 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 387 battles

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 15 February 2018 - 09:36 AM, said:

Case Dismissed!

Nope, sorry Mars, but your case for your moral superiority and excellency with that comment were dismissed. Tried to troll me, you did. Failed, you have.

Honestly, I have figured out the real reason the Beaufighter's armament is too strong: "Also, instead of wing guns(the 6 0.303 Brownings we have in game), this model could carry rockets(the same ones that the Beaufighter currently gets AS WELL AS WING GUNS) OR 2 249 pound bombs." (all emphasis is mine)

This excerpt is from a book called Weapons of World War II. What this tells us is that the Beaufighter's 6 0.303 Brownings should be counted as outboard modules in this game's terms, not wing guns, and that it IRL could never carry both the 6 .303s and wing rockets at the same time. Mind you, it couldn't take bombs and rockets at the same time either.

Edited by legoboy0401, 15 February 2018 - 07:05 PM.

Random Thoughts Of The Day:

World of Warplanes? More like World of Bots-that-are-designed-to-fail-so-you-lose-as-often-as-you-win.

Heavy Fighters? More like Obsolete Flying Bricks.

Attack Aircraft? More like Bomber-wannabes.

MARS_REVENANT #23 Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:45 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 2961 battles

View Postlegoboy0401, on 15 February 2018 - 01:22 PM, said:

Nope, sorry Mars, but your case for your moral superiority and excellency with that comment were dismissed. Tried to troll me, you did. Failed, you have.

There is no moral superiority involved.  The voting and posts above are your answer as well as my game experience and skill.

The jury didn't even have to deliberate this one.

Edited by MARS_REVENANT, 15 February 2018 - 06:48 PM.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

LMG #24 Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1402 battles

View Postlegoboy0401, on 15 February 2018 - 01:22 PM, said:

Honestly, I have figured out the real reason the Beaufighter's armament is too strong: "Also, instead of wing guns(the 6 0.303 Brownings we have in game), this model could carry rockets(the same ones that the Beaufighter currently gets AS WELL AS WING GUNS) OR 2 249 pound bombs." (all emphasis is mine)

This excerpt is from a book called Weapons of World War II. What this tells us is that the Beaufighter's 6 0.303 Brownings should be counted as outboard modules in this game's terms, not wing guns, and that it IRL could never carry both the 6 .303s and wing rockets at the same time. Mind you, it couldn't take bombs and rockets at the same time either.

Though the weaponry is the main advantage of the Beaufighter. It doesn't go much faster than the Hurricane II, and it can't even outrun one on a level flight if it equips both bombs and rockets (the penalty doesn't go away even if they're reloading). In fact, the Hurricane II's 20s are actually slightly stronger than the Beaufighter's in damage and range. Maybe try the Hurricane II out? Statistically it should be able to wreck Beaufighters as long as it dodges the initial volley of lead (or give them a few rockets if you're feeling lucky). Don't ask for balance, be the balance :teethhappy:

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

legoboy0401 #25 Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:37 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 387 battles

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 15 February 2018 - 10:45 AM, said:

There is no moral superiority involved.  The voting and posts above are your answer as well as my game experience and skill.

The jury didn't even have to deliberate this one.

Nah, they are most likely supremely dishonest. Also, if you want to go down that road, that the Beaufighter is not OP, then what are things like the Bf-110 E doing performing quite poorly? What's more, something like a SE 100 has barely one advantage over the Beaufighter.

If the Beaufighter is not OP but everybody else is merely severely sub-par, I could see how that would be possible, but over the time I've played WG titles, I get far more flak(no pun intended) for claiming something needs a buff than for claiming something needs a nerf

Furthermore, if the Beaufighter is not OP, give my SE 100 it's rightful 6 20 mm HS-9 cannons, instead of it's currently gimped armament of only 4 20 mm HS-9 cannons.

World of Warplanes? More like World of Bots-that-are-designed-to-fail-so-you-lose-as-often-as-you-win.

Spyshadow01 #26 Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:45 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1344 battles

View Postlegoboy0401, on 15 February 2018 - 01:37 PM, said:

Nah, they are most likely supremely dishonest.

LMG #27 Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1402 battles

View Postlegoboy0401, on 15 February 2018 - 02:37 PM, said:

Nah, they are most likely supremely dishonest. Also, if you want to go down that road, that the Beaufighter is not OP, then what are things like the Bf-110 E doing performing quite poorly? What's more, something like a SE 100 has barely one advantage over the Beaufighter.

If the Beaufighter is not OP but everybody else is merely severely sub-par, I could see how that would be possible, but over the time I've played WG titles, I get far more flak(no pun intended) for claiming something needs a buff than for claiming something needs a nerf

Furthermore, if the Beaufighter is not OP, give my SE 100 it's rightful 6 20 mm HS-9 cannons, instead of it's currently gimped armament of only 4 20 mm HS-9 cannons.

To be honest part of the flak atm is because of you claiming it's OP and alienating anyone who thinks otherwise, to the point of doubting our answers. If you don't want people to discuss, just submit a ticket directly to WG instead of posting in the forums asking for opinions of people, just to dismiss the opinions as fake. It's one thing to disagree, it's another to call people liars for not seeing things like you do

MARS_REVENANT #28 Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:33 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 2961 battles

So, you made your case and asked people to vote.

People voted and posted their opinions.

You call everyone that has a contradicting opinion a liar...

Unamused Doggo is unamused.

legoboy0401 #29 Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:13 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 387 battles

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 15 February 2018 - 12:33 PM, said:

So, you made your case and asked people to vote.

People voted and posted their opinions.

You call everyone that has a contradicting opinion a liar...

Unamused Doggo is unamused.

No, I am unamused, you are just a lame old troll. Get out of here.

On a lighter note, why does everyone think the Beaufighter is balanced? It's not like 2.0 didn't make some planes magically OP, because it did. (especially the Spitfire I:sceptic:) I think the problem is that the Beaufighter has no incentive to stay low. It may be slow, but it climbs fast and has the same optimum altitude as the SE 100 with 1,500 meters optimum altitude. Player Bot-controlled Beaufighters are truly no problem to deal with, but woe to you when an experienced player with a high skilled pilot and all upgrade slots filled plays a fully-upgraded Beaufighter. He'll be utterly crushing your team in less than 3 minutes, and will achieve victory in about 4 minutes 30 seconds.

With team support behind you, he is no threat, or barely a threat, but the problem is, most "players" in WoWP are actually bots, and as a result, team support is a very rare sight these days. 

However, there is a reason I don't own the Beaufighter, nor do I plan to for a long time. The reason is the Javelin looks like a straight-up awful aircraft and loses the excellent ground attack capability that even the-Tier-II-and-III-multiroles-that-you-have-to-play-through-to-actually-get-to-the-British-Heavy-Fighters have.

By the way, the lack of teamwork aspect is the same issue that makes the AD 10C2 very strong, as it is one of the best one-on-one turn-fight dogfighters at Tier V, only the Ki-43-II being better, but the latter has a heck of a lot less health.

This game has officially ceased to be a team game. It is, at least for now, World Of One-On-One Dogfights.

LMG #30 Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:31 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1402 battles

View Postlegoboy0401, on 15 February 2018 - 04:13 PM, said:

On a lighter note, why does everyone think the Beaufighter is balanced? It's not like 2.0 didn't make some planes magically OP, because it did. (especially the Spitfire I:sceptic:) I think the problem is that the Beaufighter has no incentive to stay low. It may be slow, but it climbs fast and has the same optimum altitude as the SE 100 with 1,500 meters optimum altitude. Player Bot-controlled Beaufighters are truly no problem to deal with, but woe to you when an experienced player with a high skilled pilot and all upgrade slots filled plays a fully-upgraded Beaufighter. He'll be utterly crushing your team in less than 3 minutes, and will achieve victory in about 4 minutes 30 seconds.

With team support behind you, he is no threat, or barely a threat, but the problem is, most "players" in WoWP are actually bots, and as a result, team support is a very rare sight these days. 

However, there is a reason I don't own the Beaufighter, nor do I plan to for a long time. The reason is the Javelin looks like a straight-up awful aircraft and loses the excellent ground attack capability that even the-Tier-II-and-III-multiroles-that-you-have-to-play-through-to-actually-get-to-the-British-Heavy-Fighters have.

By the way, the lack of teamwork aspect is the same issue that makes the AD 10C2 very strong, as it is one of the best one-on-one turn-fight dogfighters at Tier V, only the Ki-43-II being better, but the latter has a heck of a lot less health.

This game has officially ceased to be a team game. It is, at least for now, World Of One-On-One Dogfights.

I'm not sure whether or not it's truly balanced, but it's not OP that I feel at a disadvantage when the enemy gets one and we don't. It has advantages and disadvantages, like pretty much every aircraft in the game. As a GAA player, I just see them as another heavy that might try to shoot me down. As a Tornado player, I just see them as another heavy I can rip apart after dodging it's initial assault (or just rip apart if he's shooting something else). I haven't really seen them have any definitive advantage that makes me go "oh crap, I'm in trouble" when I spot them (like, say, getting a Zero on my Tornado's six while at low speed and with no boost or catching the attention of a Yak-9 with a 45mm cannon :ohmy:)

In any case, only on certain map layouts can an excelent dogfighter make-or-break the game. I said in another thread that I had a game where the enemy team had a pretty good dogfighter defending their Airbase; problem is that he didn't bother to help his team capture any other sector, while I just gladly painted the whole place a nice shade of blue. They were all Garrisons too, so it's not that he couldn't do anything about it

Edited by LMG, 15 February 2018 - 09:39 PM.

Spyshadow01 #31 Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:40 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1344 battles

View Postlegoboy0401, on 15 February 2018 - 03:13 PM, said:

Player Bot-controlled Beaufighters are truly no problem to deal with, but woe to you when an experienced player with a high skilled pilot and all upgrade slots filled plays a fully-upgraded Beaufighter. He'll be utterly crushing your team in less than 3 minutes, and will achieve victory in about 4 minutes 30 seconds. 

Unless you're in a P-38, at which point you can just fly circles around a Beaufighter and there's scant little the Beaufighter pilot can actually do about it.  Any fast LF like the MiG-3 and the P-40 can do the same.

Edited by Spyshadow01, 15 February 2018 - 09:46 PM.

Mercsn #32 Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:28 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1069 battles

The poll is broken, there's no "it's fine" option.

The Beaufighter is slow, unmanueverable, and has bad altitude for an HF, and half its guns are very short range.

Instead of a broken poll and sky is falling  (aka calling the Beaufighter "game breaking") nonsense, it would be more productive and beneficial to state the problems you have when encountering them and ask for suggestions ir techniques other players use.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

Mercsn #33 Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:44 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1069 battles

Reading through a little bit of the blah blah, I'll touch on a couple more things.  

I mess up Beaufighters in my lower tier Bf110b.  The Beau is slow. 

The Se100 hits super hard, front or rear and is a smaller target.

Lego, seriously, instead of pounding your fists on the table and doubling down and getting defensive, state the specific issues you have when encountering the Beau, and in what aircraft, and somebody can then offer you tips on how to avoid whatever troubles you're having. 

Saying "it's OP! it's OP!" over and arguing with people who say it isn't just doesn't help you out. 

Tip, the people who say it's not op, who you're arguing with, are the same people who could help you realize it's not op if you cared to open your mind, drop the need to defend your initial position, and learn something. 

When I was a little kid, I once though shoe laces were OP.  Then I learned how to tie them myself.  The shoe laces are exactly the same, but I no longer think they're OP. What changed? I learned how to deal with them.

Incidentally, you can apply this technique of identiy problem, and ask for solutions outside of the game to make RL easier too, just as with my shoe lace example. 

Edited by Mercsn, 15 February 2018 - 10:47 PM.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

legoboy0401 #34 Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:11 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 387 battles

View PostMercsn, on 15 February 2018 - 02:44 PM, said:

Reading through a little bit of the blah blah, I'll touch on a couple more things.  

I mess up Beaufighters in my lower tier Bf110b.  The Beau is slow. 

The Se100 hits super hard, front or rear and is a smaller target.

Lego, seriously, instead of pounding your fists on the table and doubling down and getting defensive, state the specific issues you have when encountering the Beau, and in what aircraft, and somebody can then offer you tips on how to avoid whatever troubles you're having. 

Saying "it's OP! it's OP!" over and arguing with people who say it isn't just doesn't help you out. 

Tip, the people who say it's not op, who you're arguing with are the same people who could help you realize it's not op if you cared tonopen your mind, drop the need to defend your initial position, and learn something. 

When I was a little kid, I once though shoe laces were OP.  Then I learned how to tie them myself.  The shoe laces are exactly the same, but I no longer think they're OP. What changed? I learned how to deal with them.

Incidentally, you can apply this technique of identiy problem, ask for solutions outside of the game to make RL easier too, just as with my shoe lace example. 

I was mostly kidding about adding two more 20 mm cannons to the front of the SE 100(or was I?:trollface:), I love the thing, it's insanely fun, not perfect but always a blast to play. It's good enough as is, and it certainly doesn't need any buffs. In my personal experience(sssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...) it's rear gun is a bit OP right out of the box, and is I-win mode v.s. light fighters with all the skills and upgrades, only being balanced by one of the worst fields of fire(or firing arcs, however you choose to put it)in the game.

With that said, in any aircraft, the Beaufighter rips absolutely everything to shreds. Yes, the majority of their firepower is shortranged. However, they aren't easy to see coming when there are more than one Heavy Fighter per team, and the mini-map not being 3-dimensional( it doesn't show altitude) or showing the current mini-map scale sure doesn't help.

What would you suggest doing to help me escape the Beaufighter Apocalypse? Preferably something other than always being in a Bomber, as though I do quite like Bombers and GAA, I will not allow myself to be confined to playing them and them only.

Cenotaph #35 Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:29 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2115 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

I thought the Beau was pretty OP too... when I had less than 300 games.

Once I got a basic idea of what I was doing however, that changed drastically... now, the only thing I fear about a Beaufighter is it's first pass. (Especially if I haven't noticed him)

As soon as you're comfortable dodging the first run and gettin on their tails, they suddenly aren't that scary anymore... I mean, sure.... nasty tailgun, but my Cane II doesn't care. (Nor do most of my planes)

Lego, you need to seriously give it a rest... the sky isn't falling, and the Beaufighter isn't the end of the world.

Unless, of course, you don't want to get better, or adjust your gameplay, and just want to cry and stomp your feet like a child... nothin can be done to fix that issue. (Atleast, not by us here on the forums)

I don't want to hurt you... I just want to kill you!

FIight #36 Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:18 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 2712 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View Postlegoboy0401, on 15 February 2018 - 06:11 PM, said:

I was mostly kidding about adding two more 20 mm cannons to the front of the SE 100(or was I?:trollface:), I love the thing, it's insanely fun, not perfect but always a blast to play. It's good enough as is, and it certainly doesn't need any buffs. In my personal experience(sssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...) it's rear gun is a bit OP right out of the box, and is I-win mode v.s. light fighters with all the skills and upgrades, only being balanced by one of the worst fields of fire(or firing arcs, however you choose to put it)in the game.

With that said, in any aircraft, the Beaufighter rips absolutely everything to shreds. Yes, the majority of their firepower is shortranged. However, they aren't easy to see coming when there are more than one Heavy Fighter per team, and the mini-map not being 3-dimensional( it doesn't show altitude) or showing the current mini-map scale sure doesn't help.

What would you suggest doing to help me escape the Beaufighter Apocalypse? Preferably something other than always being in a Bomber, as though I do quite like Bombers and GAA, I will not allow myself to be confined to playing them and them only.

I offer you the tips: try to stay low in a bomber so you are faster and Beaufighter will fail to kill you before you can cap.

If you don't believe it, try it, any bombers could do this and troll enemy team really hard.

Edited by Einssniper, 16 February 2018 - 12:18 AM.

legoboy0401 #37 Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:30 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 387 battles

View PostEinssniper, on 15 February 2018 - 04:18 PM, said:

I offer you the tips: try to stay low in a bomber so you are faster and Beaufighter will fail to kill you before you can cap.

If you don't believe it, try it, any bombers could do this and troll enemy team really hard.

Nah, I go high.

Bobby_Tables #38 Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:38 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 2160 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-
At this point folks you are just casting your pearls before swine.  Save the advice for someone who deserves it.  

LMG #39 Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:39 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1402 battles

View Postlegoboy0401, on 15 February 2018 - 06:11 PM, said:

I have found that doing a bit of a dive while trying to get underneath them works quite well to avoid most heavy fighters. You cut the time they have to shoot at you by traveling towards them (though not going into a head-on), and you force them to speed up by making them enter a dive. You can turn around a bit as well to throw them off. I've even caused a pair of heavies to smash into the ground while doing this on my GAAs. Once you're out of danger (aka, they can't possibly turn enough to get you or they already flew past), you can turn around and light 'em up. Now I don't mean "just point your nose down", you have to get the angle just right so they don't run into you nor you give them your back. In fact, once you get the general idea, you can apply it to other maneuvers aside of a dive (like flying level or doing a very slight climb vs enemies on a very steep dive). If you're scared about their tailgun, avoid engaging them for long or run towards allies that can help you out. Bots really like their enemies served on a silver platter :playing:

This works quite well in general vs planes that are faster than you, just so happens to be that heavies are usually moving rather fast

Edited by LMG, 16 February 2018 - 12:40 AM.

SpiritFoxMY #40 Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:56 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1298 battles

Frankly, having more than one type of HF on the minimap shouldn't be an issue - if you see ANY plane pointing in your direction, check six immediately. If he's on top of you, snap roll over into a split S immediately, using your rudder to speed yourself through the turn. You'll still take a hit if he's coming straight at you, but reversing your direction will mess up his attack pattern and force an overshoot. Once that happens, you have the choice of turning back onto his tail or disengaging while he's setting up for another pass.

Its really at this point where the Beaufighter suffers vs. other heavies - it cannot zoom out fast enough to prevent you from turning onto his tail and wrecking him. If you're at anything above treetop altitude, just drop in about 30 degrees below his elevator and his turret cannot get you. My personal tactic in cases like that used to be to hammer the boost and pull the plane straight up to get my turret on-target since I cannot run. If your target does that, he's dead as long as you don't try to stick with him - drop off and circle below: if he continues the climb, he'll run out of boost and be out of the fight for a while, until his boost recovers - you can go on your own merry way and do other more important things. If he loops over, his turret will stop firing and you can nail him at the apex of the loop. Alternately, if he noses over and runs for the ground, don't pursue in a light fighter - the turret will wreck you. Heavies will just chase him down and kill him, turret or no. If you're in a light, just leave him be and hunt other easier targets - if he tries to come back, just dodge again and hopefully force him to run the gauntlet of bots to get to you. 

Heavies fighting Beaus is a simple matter of spotting him coming and just boost climbing out of there. He can't follow and he'd be an idiot to try.

Best way to deal with a Beau is the same as every other airplane - see him and kill him first. The challenge will usually be when other players are circling the Beaufighter to pick up anything he fails to kill in the first pass. They will intercept you and pull you apart if you try to engage the Beaufighter. 

The only airplane class that is close to helpless against a Beaufighter are the Ground Attackers who are the Beaufighter's natural prey. If a Beau spots your IL2 or Stuka, you're going to hurt. You can still bob and weave and force an overshoot, but overall, the only thing preventing him from tearing you apart will be nearby bots or players. Or a bombkill. That works too.

And if you're wondering why we think this thing is balanced, that's because we've progressed beyond tier 5 and seen far worse things. Dark things. Monsters lurking in the clouds. The shadow of the winged death. The poor Beaufighter is naught but a springtime warbler in the face of such horror. Such things that can only be killed by looking death in the eye as He bears down upon ye! Aye. Stare death in the eye and throw the dice on the balance of terror that you might live to fight on, for a little while at least.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users