The Case for Nerfing and/or Removing The Beaufighter.

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

Poll: Bristol Beaufighter: Too good? (41 members have cast votes)

Does the Beaufighter have too many strengths?

1. yes (5 votes [12.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.20%

2. no (35 votes [85.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 85.37%

3. I don't know (1 vote [2.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.44%

Was the Beaufighter okay pre-2.0 or was it always this OP and game-breaking?

1. it was okay pre-2.0 (16 votes [39.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.02%

2. it was always this way, just WG never rectified the situation. (5 votes [12.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.20%

3. I don't know (20 votes [48.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 48.78%

Nerf or remove the Beaufighter: what say you?

1. nerf the Beaufighter (3 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

2. remove the Beaufighter, and replace it with the more balanced Bristol Beaufort (1 vote [2.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.56%

3. I don't know (35 votes [89.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 89.74%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

f16falcona46 #61 Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:47 AM

Master Sergeant

• 2301 battles
  • [F4F] F4F

View Posthoom, on 10 April 2018 - 04:35 AM, said:

I'm not saying to weaken it for air-to-air.

Fly it clean and you get better air-to-air ability as is and that is as it should be, I want it changed to emphasise that historical config.

Its the huge amount of anti-ground ordnance which is the problem & its very unhistorical.

Giving it the historical choice of only bombs or only rockets would reduce the drag/weight penalty -> actually improve air-to-air.

If thats considered to reduce anti-ground firepower too much it can be offset with shorter reloads.

The turret is a huge historical issue since to mount it they had to remove 2 of the 20mm as well as the wing 0.303s, let alone any anti-ground stuff so frankly it should be outright removed. (or buff the turret stats to make it worth the loss of all the other firepower)

Maybe replace it with a made up longer range, higher-dps 0.303, double 0.303 or a 0.50 (surely someone tried that at some point)?

Historical is no issue...if we really cared about historical accuracy, German planes above tier 8 would catch fire spontaneously every 2 minutes.

NovaTempest #62 Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:55 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1302 battles

View Postf16falcona46, on 10 April 2018 - 08:47 AM, said:

Historical is no issue...if we really cared about historical accuracy, German planes above tier 8 would catch fire spontaneously every 2 minutes.

Except for the Me 209A, the Me 329, the Ta 152, and the Do 335, right?

Also, I love how no one has mentioned the real absurdity that is the Hurricane IID, two Forty millimeter guns. One shell hit from those things will make anything cry. I should know, I had to deal with one while in a Japanese plane... It did not go too well.

I also agree with Sky and many others here, the Beau is not OP. It can be a pain in the a** in good hands, but its just as mortal as any other plane. I haven't even flown the thing myself yet and I feel this way. I think half the problem is that newer players can easily get to tier IV and V, and then without the awareness of an experienced player they are prone to being blindsided by a beau, Its literally a case of "Learning the hard way" to be aware of whats around you.

I've had plenty of battles where i've never been killed in an entire match, its not just because of skill, its because of how much I pay attention to what the heck is going on around me. I say this to the OP: If I can counter a beau, so can you, you just gotta learn what works and what doesn't.

Edited by NovaTempest, 11 April 2018 - 01:02 AM.

hoom #63 Posted 21 April 2018 - 04:39 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3538 battles

Block Quote

I love how no one has mentioned the real absurdity that is the Hurricane IID, two Forty millimeter guns.

Hurricane IID is a historical thing though, nearly 300 built & used to good effect in North Africa.

From my understanding ingame the 40mm are fairly hard to use, its also rare to see them at all.

If you'd complained about Hurricane II I might have some sympathy, 4*20mm on a decently agile single engine fighter at T5 is pretty amazing.

In general balanced by poor altitude performance & predominance of much more agile fighters in that tier though.

Edited by hoom, 21 April 2018 - 02:01 PM.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

CorvusCorvax #64 Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1329 battles
  • [JG52] JG52
The P-38F eats Beaufighters for lunch and spits out the bones.  Low yo-yo one in an XFL, and the pilot will cry all the way to respawn.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users