RB17 high alt bomber or low and fast?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

IronWolfV #1 Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:15 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 278 battles

Just grabbed this bomber(Yes I know, whole different beast than my A26). Which should I set up for. High in the sky, or so low I'm picking branches out of my teeth?

And yes I know I'm venturing into tier 8 way early, but I wanted this little monster since I saw it. So help a guy out.

Tips, tricks, setup?

This isn't dueling pistols at dawn. This is war. You sneak up behind your enemy and you bash him over the skull. I know this, so does Scar. That's why I'm gonna kill him.

-Starbuck, Battlestar Galactica

trikke #2 Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2276 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

i flew it high, but you can still get picked on from most pilots

then i flew it really  low, but it seemed too fast to be as deliberate as i needed to be...  but a whole lot more exciting!

then i went at about 2-3k feet, and i got what i needed, in terms of accuracy 

and i snipe away at the guys that i drag out of the furballs

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Mercsn #3 Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:05 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1075 battles

I fly it low. The ripple drops are great at taking out aa/flak.  If you line up right you can get one with each drop and be out of the zone before fighters get on you. Then fly out til half your bomb timer, do a sharp yaw turn (bombers really like yaw turns), come back for a 2nd pass. If you took out the low altitude aa on the 1st pass, you'll only have fighters to worry about on the 2nd.  And, if its just defense bots, can cap the zone on your 2nd pass. 

Especially at the start, you're REALLY fast because you'll reach 800kph in your initial dive with boost.  Just learn the release point at low altitude and high speed.  It really can be played very similar to a low altitude a-26.  I prefer removing the rng of high alt bomb drops and love cruising 800kph on the deck instead of slooow up in red altitude. 

If a human in a non high altitude plane decides to hunt you, you can always switch to high alt for that match...or even dogfight with hf bots.  

Just watch out for mountains if you hop in thevtg while bombs reload!

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

IronWolfV #4 Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:08 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 278 battles
Thanks for the info!

This isn't dueling pistols at dawn. This is war. You sneak up behind your enemy and you bash him over the skull. I know this, so does Scar. That's why I'm gonna kill him.

-Starbuck, Battlestar Galactica

FIight #5 Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:25 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 4145 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

TBH when you fly it low it can cap really quickly and your rear gunner can take a lot more damage.

Flying low can make enemy bots stay on your tail, and that's what you want, you distract them so your

teammates can clear your tail one by one.

Also flying low means you don't have to worry about accuracy, and for RB-17 it is super easy to achieve

800 in a dive, even HFs will have trouble catching you , and even they stay on your tail your rear gunner

can tear them apart.

Don't spray on AAs, spray your bombs on more valuable targets. It is quite 'balanced' to rush into mining plant

and fill in 90% of cap meter in 10 sec, and with proper assistance your team can instantly cap it.

This plane is still quite 'balanced' in RU server, although it has hp that can rival t9 GAAs, and OP rear gun

that does insane amount of damage and could fire at 1300m.

Edited by Einssniper, 14 February 2018 - 01:26 PM.

pyantoryng #6 Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:50 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1670 battles

The RB-17, when top tier, can become completely immune to ALL AI defenses at very high altitude above sea level, letting it do deep strikes that would take an observative player to notice that something is wrong and even then needing a proper aircraft to response, and the chance of success is not guaranteed should the RB-17 has fully extended rear gun range allowing it to shoot at expended plane climbing to that altitude with impunity as it lumber away.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

HazeGrayUnderway #7 Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:01 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1515 battles

Currently on a break for the game but fore I did so, I experimented extensively with low level bombing on various bombers since the German ones arrived.  Some are more viable than others.

RB-17 is fast a.f. on the deck.  Take advantage of the long bomber engine boost.

It's dangerous at low altitude though because there are more fast flying, super heavily armed planes at low-med altitudes that RB-17 fights in compared to A-26.  Then again, while there isn't that much high altitude threats in RB-17's tiers compared to low to medium altitudes, the ones that can fly high are very fast, very dangerous.  Even J8M can fly up so fast, climb at altitudes so high that it can dive on you.  You are playing in the Me262's element and other fast flying, high alt fighters and heavy fighters.

High altitude however is still "safer" in that fewer things can attack you.  But if it can attack you, you're just as dead as at low altitudes.

Setup for low altitude?  Tail gun build is still great because of the thing's range.  But even that gun won't matter much when you got some of the real meat cleaving aircraft flying out there.  The rest of the upgrades in HP and armor.

Also a post I had from December when I was really, heavily experimenting with low level bombing for both A-26 and RB-17.  It went into the Pro's & Con's of both styles of bombing and I felt it still applies to RB-17.

In some ways, RB-17 heavily reminded me of flying the Tier VII-VIII German GA's where they fly fast around the map to attack the caps.  The difference is the GA depends on a mix of cannons and long CD bombs while RB-17 depends purely on bombs.  They are best flying fast hitting vulnerable cap points around the map, but if they have to attack contested caps, they have to be careful, fast.  You try to keep flying low and in tight circular patterns inside a contested cap, you're guaranteed to draw attention if there's enough players around.  If players are around you need fast, slashing attack runs.

A helpful trick to land more bombs at low altitude is fly in fast, then bleed speed over the target, I often do a "J" over the target and drop bombs.  You get tons of hits.  Careful on doing that with the manufacturing center though, the one with all the big smoke stacks, you may clip them.  Just do a normal pass & drop over them.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway, 14 February 2018 - 02:05 PM.

Blucraft #8 Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:43 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1351 battles

I personally prefer to stay high with mine.  Here's my crew/equipment setup:

RB17_crew-021418.JPG

-Blu

Edited by Blucraft, 14 February 2018 - 07:27 PM.

Mercsn #9 Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:19 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1075 battles

Found a clip I had laying around of some shenanigans in the RB-17.   I had another that was of the RB-17 low altitude using a map with 2 mines as a buffet, but net is too slow to upload, currently.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users