New players... pay attention to your ammo type! (use Universal)

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Hurk #1 Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:02 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 389 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

as one of the many people starting with christmas giveaways, I have noticed myself failing to properly set my ammo (im too used to WoT)

WoWP has several types of ammo, but most of us get scared off by "gold" costs, and dont look any further, thats the mistake, planes also have a "silver" cost ammo. we just assume that is what we are already using, and that is NOT the case. 

on the service window your "standard" ammo is actually the noob/free ammo. do not use that. instead load up "Universal" ammo. which is considerably better and only costs silver. dont worry, at low tiers, its too cheap to not pay for itself and performs a hell of a lot better than "standard". 

if for some crazy reason you want to go back to "standard" mouse over the ammo and a X appears to demount it. 

In Theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice.
In Practice, there is.

Dr_Wigglespank #2 Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:10 PM

Senior Airman

• 328 battles

It's on sale right now, as well. I stocked up on cheap belts for my favorite premiums, along with ammo for some of my grinds.

I wonder though, is universal cannon ammo really worth it at higher tiers? Seems to get pretty expensive at tier 6 & up. I can understand wanting to get the most out of smaller caliber MG's, but standard cannon ammo seems to do well.

poisonousblood #3 Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:48 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3403 battles
  • [JG52] JG52
just crossed 3k games, i still dont use any universal shells. It is not the ammo that determines the skill of a player, it is the experience.

comtedumas #4 Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:29 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2767 battles
  • [FK] FK

View Postpoisonousblood, on 11 February 2018 - 11:48 AM, said:

just crossed 3k games, i still dont use any universal shells. It is not the ammo that determines the skill of a player, it is the experience.

your misled, then.  
Heard on the forum.  "1.9 was a hardcore air combat sim.  And it had a lead indicator"  HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rico_CotC_ #5 Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:30 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 224 battles

View Postpoisonousblood, on 11 February 2018 - 04:48 PM, said:

^^^this is the truth.  I use the standard stuff, and either win or lose through how my aircraft is positioned in the sky.  If I have the drop on the other guy, it doesn't matter what ammo I have.  If the other guy has the drop on me, it doesn't matter what ammo I have.

Edited by Rico_CotC_, 11 February 2018 - 06:30 PM.

pyantoryng #6 Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:36 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 941 battles

Ammo doesn't really matter because cannon shells and concentrated machine gun fire rip straight through planes anyway...and you will go broke in a jiffy if you don't have deep pockets while using those.

Be a pauper, run standard ammo, and become a millionaire at an equal pace with which you would go broke if you screw up while using universal ammo.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Rico_CotC_ #7 Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:49 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 224 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 11 February 2018 - 06:36 PM, said:

Ammo doesn't really matter because cannon shells and concentrated machine gun fire rip straight through planes anyway...and you will go broke in a jiffy if you don't have deep pockets while using those.

Be a pauper, run standard ammo, and become a millionaire at an equal pace with which you would go broke if you screw up while using universal ammo.

I'm going to amend my above statement - on an aircraft that only has cannon, I might run universal.  The reason is that every shell that lands has to count, and the slow-firing and quick-to-overheat guns need every advantage.  I seem to build up a lot of silver, so I can afford to fill cannons with universal.  But not MGs.

IronWolfV #8 Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:19 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 247 battles
Standard gets the job done so I don't bother with universal.

This isn't dueling pistols at dawn. This is war. You sneak up behind your enemy and you bash him over the skull. I know this, so does Scar. That's why I'm gonna kill him.

-Starbuck, Battlestar Galactica

Zapperguy #9 Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:23 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 63 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View PostIronWolfV, on 11 February 2018 - 03:19 PM, said:

Standard gets the job done so I don't bother with universal.

Horses will get you there. Cars will get you there faster and not smelling of horse.

All of my 200+ planes are loaded with cars, but to each his own.

:)

Founder of the original CLOWN clan. Haven't lost a single member in over 3 years of existence.

pyantoryng #10 Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:30 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 941 battles

View PostZapperguy, on 11 February 2018 - 08:23 PM, said:

Horses will get you there. Cars will get you there faster and not smelling of horse.

Well, it's not like you need those silver anymore, in any case...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

SkyWolf__WM #11 Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:08 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1529 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

I use Universal and have racked up about 30 million since Albion.

Edit: That does NOT include the 50 or so million I already had. And I suck.

Edited by SkyWolf__WM, 11 February 2018 - 09:10 PM.

***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.

IronWolfV #12 Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:47 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 247 battles

View PostZapperguy, on 11 February 2018 - 02:23 PM, said:

I could use universal in my fighters, but for Bombers and GAA, what's the point? Almost never use the front guns and if I do, already hit hard enough to do the job.

This isn't dueling pistols at dawn. This is war. You sneak up behind your enemy and you bash him over the skull. I know this, so does Scar. That's why I'm gonna kill him.

-Starbuck, Battlestar Galactica

poppavein #13 Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:57 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1088 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW

View PostRico_CotC_, on 11 February 2018 - 10:49 AM, said:

I'm going to amend my above statement - on an aircraft that only has cannon, I might run universal.  The reason is that every shell that lands has to count, and the slow-firing and quick-to-overheat guns need every advantage.  I seem to build up a lot of silver, so I can afford to fill cannons with universal.  But not MGs.

I run Universal on all except on some cannons due to cost. It’s cheap on MGs, but maybe I should run it on expensive cannons too. 

Lol, I got accused of using gold ammo once while using Universal. Guess he caught on fire too much ...

LMG #14 Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:33 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 945 battles

View PostRico_CotC_, on 11 February 2018 - 01:49 PM, said:

I'd recomend the opposite. MGs get a lot out of Universal with the increased chance of fire, while cannons tend to crit quite a bit by themselves. On top of that, cannons can get very expensive very quickly, with the tier VI Ju 88 P's 50mm costing around 15k-16k credits per resupply

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

Rico_CotC_ #15 Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:51 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 224 battles

View PostLMG, on 11 February 2018 - 10:33 PM, said:

I'd recomend the opposite. MGs get a lot out of Universal with the increased chance of fire, while cannons tend to crit quite a bit by themselves. On top of that, cannons can get very expensive very quickly, with the tier VI Ju 88 P's 50mm costing around 15k-16k credits per resupply

I'm going to try it my way first and see how it goes.  Then your way.  I will report back.  :)

Cenotaph #16 Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:31 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1216 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

It really depends on the gun layout.. if I can, I put a bit of universal here and there, provided it doesn't compound too much due to weapon saturation.

The main thing is to be aware of your costs and gains, and equip accordingly. If you can afford it, why not run a bit of universal?

And occasionally, you'll find an outlier... like the BV 210, where it's 30mm cannon ammo is only 5k a belt (regularly 10k per)... which you'd never know, if you never took the time to look at universal in the first place.

View PostLMG, on 11 February 2018 - 10:33 PM, said:

On top of that, cannons can get very expensive very quickly, with the tier VI Ju 88 P's 50mm costing around 15k-16k credits per resupply

You should have a word with my vulcan cannon... 40k per belt, but I only use it on special occasions.

nukethefearless #17 Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:33 PM

Senior Airman

• 103 battles
but..bomber turrets cant change there ammo type..

Cenotaph #18 Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:46 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1216 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Postnukethefearless, on 11 February 2018 - 11:33 PM, said:

but..bomber turrets cant change there ammo type..

But... some bombers have actual guns...

SpiritFoxMY #19 Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:54 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 950 battles

View PostCenotaph, on 11 February 2018 - 11:46 PM, said:

But... some bombers have actual guns...

New guy, dude.

IRT nuke, the premium bombers all have fixed forward guns of one kind or another. I mean... they might be completely useless (Blenheim, I'm looking at you) but they have them.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

nukethefearless #20 Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:16 AM

Senior Airman

• 103 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 11 February 2018 - 11:54 PM, said:

New guy, dude.

IRT nuke, the premium bombers all have fixed forward guns of one kind or another. I mean... they might be completely useless (Blenheim, I'm looking at you) but they have them.

ah.. well imprbly not going to get them any time soon..cause no money :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users