Team balance

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Leo_1408 #1 Posted 09 February 2018 - 05:09 AM

Airman Basic

• 1585 battles
  • [FALCO] FALCO

Is it just me, or is the team balance not very fair? I mainly fly in the mid to lower tiers (IV to VIII) and my team score is most often in the top three - but we lose the battle time after time (even after I have shot down 10 - 15 enemy aircraft). What is it I am doing (or not doing)? Are there team balances where it is impossible to win?

My other problem is trying to complete missions where you have to assist in shooting down enemy planes - not shoot them down (that's pretty clear) but assist in shooting them down. I don't fly with or as a wingman (mainly cos I'm in Australia and at school, and the times I can play are when very few people in Europe or the USA are on line,) so I'm not sure when to shoot at the enemy and score an 'assist'. I tried shooting at enemies and reducing their HPs to about 15-20% before turning away, but that doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas? :amazed:

SpiritFoxMY #2 Posted 09 February 2018 - 05:23 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2208 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

1. Don't bother with assist missions. I just leave those there and they fill up in time. Trying to actively complete them is a waste of time and effort. Or fly a plane like the 262, 152 or 51K... you'll rack up a lot of assists... because its so damn hard to kill people outright.

2. The higher you go, the harder it is to influence a battle single handed but at tier 4-5 a mostly bot game can be influenced by just one good pilot picking his battles with care. CP doesn't matter here as much as doing the right thing at the right time. I feel at tier 6 and below you're more likely to lose due to human potatoes than AI potatoes

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Captain_Underpants53 #3 Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:07 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 10798 battles
  • [FK] FK
I find the bombers get many assists.  Not in every battle but many of them.
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

SOLxCAT32 #4 Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:58 AM

Master Sergeant

• 2451 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

There's definitely some issues in bot balance, but what you should be focusing on is positioning and map awareness. Killing someone is irrelevant, especially if they're a bot, because bots don't get an increasing respawn timer. Where you kill someone is far more important, because that flips caps. In addition, there are certain bases that must be prioritized - mil. base> command center> airbase> airfield> garrison is the general rule of thumb. 

Feel free to ask any more questions. 

[HVAR]SOLxCAT32 - Top 25 NA - Streaming here

"A glass of windex a day keeps the superunicums away"

Soylent_Red_Isnt_People #5 Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:15 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2309 battles
  • [SOL] SOL

View PostLeo_1408, on 09 February 2018 - 03:09 AM, said:

and my team score is most often in the top three - but we lose the battle time after time (even after I have shot down 10 - 15 enemy aircraft). What is it I am doing (or not doing)? Are there team balances where it is impossible to win?

Yes -

My experience with 2.0 is quite a lot of the time due to your own AI pilots or simply the plane lineup on red, let alone flights of players who regularly curbstomp any opposing team, you have lost before the match even starts.

For the times I play I routinely see on red humans, flights or not, ranging from 25th to as high as 5th in the current hall of fame rating; blue just lost that match unless some kind of planetary alignment occurs.

Matchmaker has ''randomly'' placed those players on blue with me for less than five, if not less than three, matches in total; another good, new, player has been on blue with me exactly once - we are always opposed.

I was doing okay'ish with Shinden at tier VIII to test the waters, then unlocked and purchased two more aircraft at those tiers (a fighter & heavy fighter).

Now I'm averaging at least five, and at times twelve to fifteen games, per session with just that pair of planes simply looking to get the daily bonus; some sessions however I just give up on trying for a win with either.

Staying with the bots may rack up a big score, yet blue loses on capture points; just tonight I lost a ''Winged Legend'' earning match (~16 kay) as red pointed out before able to shoot down the last few friendly planes.

Roaming, I can sometimes (rarely) stay ahead of how fast blue loses those captured areas but I'm often lucky to break a five kay score for all of that effort.

The typical amount of frustration makes it almost not even worth trying to play each day; I may just go back to weekend only sessions, and never again bother with premium time beyond the occasional day here or there.

I get atrociously salty in chat playing those tier VIII planes, but honestly, why should I be even remotely happy about day after day of repeatedly losing no matter what because it's not even in my hands to TRY for a win.

Edited by Soylent_Red_Isnt_People, 09 February 2018 - 08:59 AM.

"If they don't chase you after a mile, they don't chase ya.... Maybe it's two miles...."   ---   "You wanna play it soft, we'll play it soft. You wanna play it hard, let's play it hard."

5801234590.png

''Under control? You're grabbing a f**king bazooka, you dumba**!''

Blast_Radius1 #6 Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:44 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1325 battles

Hey mate,

another Aussie here. I feel your rage and sympathize completely. There's been any number of threads on here about balance, but it would seem WG prefers RNG to balanced teams.

Being in Oz, we play in mostly bot teams, and the imbalance is, indeed, hard to counter.

It's been said before that bots attack the caps they're best suited to cap; fighters and multis to airfields or garrisons, while the high value targets like mil bases and mining sites are left to bombers, heavies and ground attackers. I find a useful tactic while in a fighter is to go with the non-fighters to the mines or mil bases. If the red bots don't show up, you may end up stooging around, maybe kill the AA guns to prevent blue losses, but most of the time red bots - HF, bombers and multis, will show up, and killing them will be just what the doctor ordered to flip the cap.

I find you can usually tell if you're slated to win or not by simply looking at the lineup before the game starts. If it looks like a lose, and that's backed up by reds capping 2 while your bots are still dying over the first cap, you can either take the challenge and go for a full carry, or just farm XP before the inevitable happens, which usually happens very quickly.

trikke #7 Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:28 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2048 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostSOLxCAT32, on 09 February 2018 - 01:58 AM, said:

Where you kill someone is far more important, because that flips caps. In addition, there are certain bases that must be prioritized - mil. base> command center> airbase> airfield> garrison is the general rule of thumb. 

^^ quoted for truth ^^

just ignore bots outside caps, unless you're padding your stats

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Wombatmetal #8 Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:02 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 770 battles

View PostSOLxCAT32, on 08 February 2018 - 10:58 PM, said:

There's definitely some issues in bot balance, but what you should be focusing on is positioning and map awareness. Killing someone is irrelevant, especially if they're a bot, because bots don't get an increasing respawn timer. Where you kill someone is far more important, because that flips caps. In addition, there are certain bases that must be prioritized - mil. base> command center> airbase> airfield> garrison is the general rule of thumb. 

Good advice, only thing I would change is if there are command centers, flip a garrison first if its easy.

When bombers spawn they go after bases in the order they're captured. Doesn't take much time and takes pressure off the incoming flights

LMG #9 Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1668 battles

View PostDestroyer_Suzukaze, on 09 February 2018 - 01:02 PM, said:

Good advice, only thing I would change is if there are command centers, flip a garrison first if its easy.

When bombers spawn they go after bases in the order they're captured. Doesn't take much time and takes pressure off the incoming flights

Command Centers never attack neutral sectors though, so keep that in mind. Military Bases do, however, and I'm not sure if there's any predictable logic in what sector they will shoot at. I have noticed they don't seem to attack other Military Bases :sceptic:

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

f16falcona46 #10 Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:08 AM

Master Sergeant

• 2290 battles
  • [F4F] F4F

View PostLMG, on 09 February 2018 - 06:34 PM, said:

Command Centers never attack neutral sectors though, so keep that in mind. Military Bases do, however, and I'm not sure if there's any predictable logic in what sector they will shoot at. I have noticed they don't seem to attack other Military Bases :sceptic:

I believe that Military Bases don't attack other Military Bases because they are too far--a Military Base only attacks its closest targets.

SpiritFoxMY #11 Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:41 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2208 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Postf16falcona46, on 10 February 2018 - 06:08 AM, said:

I believe that Military Bases don't attack other Military Bases because they are too far--a Military Base only attacks its closest targets.

They don't attack other military bases, period. They have no issues taking out Garrisons at the opposite end of the map but they won't shoot missiles at other military bases. Which is a good thing, IMO. Back when they did, Missile Base maps were always a roflstomp for the team that capped their base first.

kidflash113 #12 Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:02 PM

Master Sergeant

• 419 battles

I have found it very frustrating first I wish WOWP was more popular I have recently come back and it seem every match is me and maybe 1-4 players and the rest bots. while this is not that big of an issue the problem is I have noticed that while our team can take control of almost all the bases the bots seem to gather at 1 base.

usually in the middle then the squall line hits and our bases start dropping like flies so i go to save 1 in the mean time my team is losing bot planes fast so i figure ill go attack a red base and when i get there, there's like a whole bee hive of enemy planes just circling like a buzz saw tornado above the base and if i get close or shoot one then every bot comes after me and i have like 8 bots chasing me mean time my bot team is no where to be seen and all i can do is watch as we drop plane after plane for the loss. my issue is not with the bots its more with the AI programing bots are ok but when you got 5 chasing you your done where as with a human team maybe 1-2 may chase you not the whole team because humans will see your being chased by another player or two and stay where they are or go after something else. point is i get tired of losing to a majority bot team while my bot team guards bases no one is attacking and i get stuck fighting alone trying to win.

SpiritFoxMY #13 Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:40 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2208 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
Actually I'd just be happy if the goddamn bots didn't seem to have a hard-on for me. I spent most of last night being headhunted by bots and it wasn't [edited]fun, Wargaming!

LMG #14 Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:15 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1668 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 10 February 2018 - 08:40 PM, said:

Actually I'd just be happy if the goddamn bots didn't seem to have a hard-on for me. I spent most of last night being headhunted by bots and it wasn't [edited]fun, Wargaming!

Try to travel with the group. Bots usually focus on one target until they shoot it down, except for heavies that do seem to switch targets as they fly by

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

SpiritFoxMY #15 Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:13 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2208 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostLMG, on 11 February 2018 - 04:15 AM, said:

Try to travel with the group. Bots usually focus on one target until they shoot it down, except for heavies that do seem to switch targets as they fly by

I was in the Shusui, booming through the deathball and in three games straight at least one of the bots had a crazy hard on for me and kept turning on me as soon as I came in for a pass. It wasn't like I was alone, it was more that I came screaming in for the attack on fighters already engaged and they just dropped everything and chased me all the way to altitude - I had an XF5U boosting after me at 3500m! My own bots were shooting at him but he just kept chasing me as they mowed him down. Same thing happened in my A-5, I had a LaGG and a Yak peel off from the deathball and chase me all the way across the map. It was frustrating as hell - its not that I couldn't deal with them, its more that they chased me off the map while my idiot bots were getting themselves slaughtered. Then there's the half dozen times I engaged a human player only to have a swarm of bots team up on me and blow me up while my bots just ignore the human and stream in one by one to get slaughtered.

It wasn't a good night. Shoulda just flown out a Spitfire.

Leo_1408 #16 Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:47 AM

Airman Basic

• 1585 battles
  • [FALCO] FALCO

View PostSOLxCAT32, on 09 February 2018 - 06:58 AM, said:

Hey, thanks for all that advice. I'm a total potato, but I my uncle gave me some money at Christmas, and I was able to buy some premium planes, including the Me109TL, so I'm hoping to do better. But, LOL, it's hard enough surviving, let alone getting the most points in your team at Level VIII. :ohmy:

trikke #17 Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:15 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2048 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostLeo_1408, on 11 February 2018 - 08:47 PM, said:

Hey, thanks for all that advice. I'm a total potato, but I my uncle gave me some money at Christmas, and I was able to buy some premium planes, including the Me109TL, so I'm hoping to do better. But, LOL, it's hard enough surviving, let alone getting the most points in your team at Level VIII. :ohmy:

what a great uncle!
Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Leo_1408 #18 Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:45 AM

Airman Basic

• 1585 battles
  • [FALCO] FALCO

View Posttrikke, on 12 February 2018 - 02:15 AM, said:

what a great uncle!

He knows I'm interested in combat aircraft, and he helped me with my RC model aircraft and he used to spend time with me when we lived in Kent.  Also he flies RAF Typhoons out of Coningsby now, so I don't see him very often - but he sends me presents. Pretty cool, eh! :honoring:

Leo_1408 #19 Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:16 AM

Airman Basic

• 1585 battles
  • [FALCO] FALCO
Oh, one other thing I'm wondering about - and I noticed this before 2.0 - is that if you are diving on another plane, or just diving close to the ground, the aircraft doesn't respond to pulling back on the stick after a certain point - so no matter what you do (roll or bank) you go straight into the ground. I thought it must be my battered old joystick - but I got a new Logitec Extreme 3D Pro for Christmas, and it makes no difference. Has anyone else noticed this?

SpiritFoxMY #20 Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:31 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2208 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
I think that might just be latency. Ive had that happen a few times. Then there are other times where I pulled up but my opponent didn't

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users