Valentine's Bash - Flight Contest!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
74 replies to this topic

ArrowZ_ #41 Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:45 AM

First Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 150 battles

The confusion comes from this statement, where the description of the rules conflict the aim of the contest (to score the highest accumulated amount of combat points beyond the minimum 15 battles requirement during the contest's duration):

View PostRaizei, on 09 February 2018 - 05:44 AM, said:

In order to enter and participate in this contest, you must be in a Flight and play a minimum of 15 Battles during the duration of the contest. The Flight that has accumulated the most Combat Points by the end of the contest will win 2 Premium Planes of their choice from the list below for each of the Pilots!

Here's how I would have worded the RULES for this contest to work with that statement above:

Rules:

• Players must try to obtain the highest accumulated Combat Points as a Flight between the dates listed above
  • Must have a minimum of 15 battles played in a Flight between the dates listed above
  • There are no limitations to your accumulated combat points earned, beyond 15 battles in a flight. You can keep going as high as you can in between the dates above!
  • The Flight that has the highest accumulated Combat Points by the end of contest timeframe will win!
  • Winners will be announced via Facebook, Twitter, and the WoWP Forums.

Notice the yellowish gold text is not clarified in this contest, despite the minimum of "flight battles" as a pre-requisite of entry. So you can technically fly 100+ flights OR MORE to get the most out of this contest. And quite frankly the best way to win is to rack up them flight battles during those dates. The more you fly = the more combat points. Unless I completely misunderstood all this and need to burn this post.

Edited by ArrowZ_, 14 February 2018 - 09:50 AM.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

MARS_REVENANT #42 Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:02 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 1911 battles

View PostRythcan, on 14 February 2018 - 04:00 AM, said:

not really that confusing. Everything in that posts implies a grand total of points over the set duration. Accumulate = to increase gradually in quantity or number. Amount = a quantity of something. Most = greatest in amount. All three words in WG's post clearly mean a total of more than one battle. Also why would they ask for a minimum of 15 battles if the contest was based on the results of one?

I highlighted the parts that were contradictory. Cumulative vs. Best, so not "everything in that post implies" as you state.  Also, I was asking the OP to clarify the rules, not for other peoples interpretation.

REGARDS_

MARS_

Edited by MARS_REVENANT, 14 February 2018 - 02:47 PM.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

​Current Community Ace Program, Roles and Responsibilities

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

Rythcan #43 Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:27 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1257 battles
  • [VX9] VX9

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 14 February 2018 - 06:02 AM, said:

I highlighted the parts that were contradictory. Cumulative vs. Best, so not "everything in that post implies" as you state.  Also, I was asking the OP to clarify the rules, not for other peoples interpretation.

REGARDS_

MARS_

If your going to quote something, do it right. It states "Players must try to obtain the best amount of Combat Points as a Flight", not just best. The only time the word best is used in WG's post, and since it if followed by the word amount that means the best total score of combat points, not the highest score. Add the words best and amount together it means the best quantity. Quantity means more than one. So yes the post completely implies that it is based on a total score not a individual score. Otherwise it would state the best combined combat score of a flight in a single battle. 

Rythcan

​P.S. Also if you just wanted the OP to clarify rules and not everyone else maybe not post it in a open forum. Not once did you state it was intended for the OP. "Is this cumulative over the duration of the contest, or the flight with the best battle/highest combat points in a single battle?" Seems like a general question anyone could answer. Next time try "WG is this cumulative over the duration of the contest, or the flight with the best battle/highest combat points in a single battle?" or just send them a PM next time.

Edited by Rythcan, 14 February 2018 - 03:54 PM.

MARS_REVENANT #44 Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:00 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 1911 battles

View PostRythcan, on 14 February 2018 - 10:27 AM, said:

If your going to quote something, do it right. It states "Players must try to obtain the best amount of Combat Points as a Flight", not just best. The only time the word best is used in WG's post, and since it if followed by the word amount that means the best total score of combat points, not the highest score. Add the words best and amount together it means the best quantity. Quantity means more than one. So yes the post completely implies that it is based on a total score not a individual score. Otherwise it would state the best combined combat score of a flight in a single battle. 

Rythcan

​P.S. Also if you just wanted the OP to clarify rules and not everyone else maybe not post it in a open forum. Not once did you state it was intended for the OP. "Is this cumulative over the duration of the contest, or the flight with the best battle/highest combat points in a single battle?" Seems like a general question anyone could answer. Next time try "WG is this cumulative over the duration of the contest, or the flight with the best battle/highest combat points in a single battle?" or just send them a PM next time.

I quoted the OP and asked a question, that is pretty clear. Best amount as a flight can mean in 1 battle.  That specific sentence is contrary to cumulative for 15+ battles for the duration of the event.

I already clarified that the question was for the OP, did you not understand that either?

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

Rythcan #45 Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:03 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1257 battles
  • [VX9] VX9

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 14 February 2018 - 08:00 AM, said:

I quoted the OP and asked a question, that is pretty clear. Best amount as a flight can mean in 1 battle.  That specific sentence is contrary to cumulative for 15+ battles for the duration of the event.

I already clarified that the question was for the OP, did you not understand that either?

​once again the definition of the word amount means more than 1. https://dictionary.c...english/amount.

Oh and I did understand that it was for the OP AFTER you ask the question and then I replied then you clarified lol. Twisting the order of events around or misquoting things doesn't make it true Mars. Once again the word amount means more than 1.

Edited by Rythcan, 14 February 2018 - 04:07 PM.

MARS_REVENANT #46 Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:10 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 1911 battles

View PostRythcan, on 14 February 2018 - 11:03 AM, said:

​once again the definition of the word amount means more than 1. https://dictionary.c...english/amount.

Oh and I did understand that it was for the OP AFTER you ask the question and then I replied then you clarified lol.

This is astounding.... you believe the word 'amount' only applies to multiple battles?  So in 1 battle I am not allowed to have any amount of combat points? Best amount is different than total amount... Doing the best  is different from doing the most... get it now?

The question was for the OP, it was clear from me quoting the OP, then I had to clarify the question was for the OP, and you are still going on about how I should do things differently...

Bruh... it has been clarified for you three times now I was asking the OP to clarify, I'm not asking for your interpretation of the rules or your interpretation of a defined term.  The OP made the rules... let the OP answer. K?

Edited by MARS_REVENANT, 14 February 2018 - 04:16 PM.

Rythcan #47 Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:17 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1257 battles
  • [VX9] VX9

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 13 February 2018 - 10:28 PM, said:

Is this cumulative over the duration of the contest, or the flight with the best battle/highest combat points in a single battle?

Confusing.

​You didn't quote the OP you changed the wording its not "best battle/highest combat points in a single battle" it states "obtain the best amount of Combat Points as a Flight ​". Two different statements.  BTW a quote is word for word.  No, you can't have any amount of combat points in one battle although you can have a total amount of combat point. Also once again why would they bother asking for a min of 15 battles if it is to be based on 1? makes no sense. Oh and you didn't clarify that it was for the OP 3 times you did it once after the fact of the initial question. You didn't properly quote the OP in you question so it didn't imply it was for the Op and because you said OP 2 more time after you clarified it doesn't make it clarifying it 3 times, just clarifying it once and repeating your self twice.

Edited by Rythcan, 14 February 2018 - 04:22 PM.

MARS_REVENANT #48 Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:28 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 1911 battles

View PostRythcan, on 14 February 2018 - 11:17 AM, said:

​You didn't quote the OP you changed the wording its not "best battle/highest combat points in a single battle" it states "obtain the best amount of Combat Points as a Flight ​". Two different statements.  BTW a quote is word for word.  No, you can't have any amount of combat points in one battle although you can have a total amount of combat point. Also once again why would they bother asking for a min of 15 battles if it is to be based on 1? makes no sense.

I think I see what your issue is.  You don't know how this forum works.  Everything inside the 'Quote Box' was a quote from the OP.  Everything outside the quote box was my post, where I was asking questions.  So, if you look at my post, you will see what I quoted and what I asked.  Really, you should first figure things out for yourself before going off on people.

Here is a handy picture for you.

Spoiler

Now that  I have explained how the forum works to you, and I have also clarified that my questions are to the OP, the creator of the rules, and I have explained that I would like an answer from the OP do you think that you can let it go?

Edited by MARS_REVENANT, 14 February 2018 - 04:37 PM.

Perco_lator #49 Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:35 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 11 battles
This silly argument will not amount to anything meaningful. The fact that the rules can be interpreted differently is the issue & should have been cleared up by the OP.

Rythcan #50 Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:38 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1257 battles
  • [VX9] VX9
Ok back to basic English the word amount means quantity. So let me make this simple by changing one word in OP's post. It goes from "Players must try to obtain the best amount of Combat Points as a Flight between the dates listed above" to Players must try to obtain the best quantity of Combat Points as a Flight between the dates listed above. So between 02/09/2018 and 02/14/2018 the flight with the best quantity of combat points wins. Quantity means more than 1. How many more ways can the OP's post state more than 1.

MARS_REVENANT #51 Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:55 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 1911 battles

View PostRythcan, on 14 February 2018 - 11:38 AM, said:

Ok back to basic English the word amount means quantity. So let me make this simple by changing one word in OP's post. It goes from "Players must try to obtain the best amount of Combat Points as a Flight between the dates listed above" to Players must try to obtain the best quantity of Combat Points as a Flight between the dates listed above. So between 02/09/2018 and 02/14/2018 the flight with the best quantity of combat points wins. Quantity means more than 1. How many more ways can the OP's post state more than 1.

OK, using your logic:

Interviewer: What was the quantity of combat points you achieved in that battle?

Me: I'm sorry I cant answer that

Interviewer: Why not?

Me: Because apparently you can only quantify something if you play multiple battles, and I am not allowed to say, by the laws of the English language, that I had a quantity of combat points in a single battle.

Interviewer: Are you sure you have interpreted that correctly?

Me: Yes, quite sure, someone on the internet told me.

Oh... by the way, Combat PointS not Combat PoinT... so your interpretation of the definition of quantity can apply to Combat PointS in a single battle, because there are multiple PointS even though they were achieved in a single battle.

MARS_REVENANT #52 Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:58 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 1911 battles

View PostPerco_lator, on 14 February 2018 - 11:35 AM, said:

This silly argument will not amount to anything meaningful. The fact that the rules can be interpreted differently is the issue & should have been cleared up by the OP.

I highlighted the BEST part of that QUOTE 

Rythcan #53 Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:03 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1257 battles
  • [VX9] VX9
Right at the beginning of the OP's post it states "The Flight that has accumulated the most Combat Points by the end of the contest ​" doesn't say "The Flight that has accumulated the most Combat Points in a single battle by the end of the contest" does it? Also a minimum of 15 battles is multiple battles. Really because I forgot the s in points lol really?

MARS_REVENANT #54 Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:14 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 1911 battles

View PostRythcan, on 14 February 2018 - 12:03 PM, said:

Right at the beginning of the OP's post it states "The Flight that has accumulated the most Combat Points by the end of the contest ​" doesn't say "The Flight that has accumulated the most Combat Points in a single battle by the end of the contest" does it? Also a minimum of 15 battles is multiple battles. Really because I forgot the s in points lol really?

So you send me a PM telling me to stop, but then you go on the public forums and continue?  LOL.

Anyways, like I already stated, I highlighted the parts that were contradictory in my question to the OP.  "best" can be interpreted as best battle in a minimum of 15 flights, best implies better than others, not more than others, more of something does not mean better.  Also as I have  stated several times, I am looking for an answer from the OP, not the interpretations of others.  I will not apologies because you feel that was rude of me, feel free to try and explain your interpretations all you like.

REGARDS_

MARS_

Edited by MARS_REVENANT, 14 February 2018 - 05:18 PM.

Rythcan #55 Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:24 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1257 battles
  • [VX9] VX9
No I said in the PM not to be rude again, its a poor show for a community ace. Never did say to stop the discussion. Learn to truthfully tell the whole story. As I said I was trying to help with my 1st post. Your the one who got rude. if you don't want the interpretations of others then don't post in a public forum and not expect someone to reply. It was my right to reply if I wanted to. See In a PM you get a reply from only the person your PMing, in a PUBLIC forum anyone can reply. I was trying to clarify for you the best way I could with my original post. Ie trying to help. Learn some manners, all you had to say was it was meant for the OP you could have left out the not the interpretations of others part. Pretty dang rude for a community ace. 

Edited by Rythcan, 14 February 2018 - 05:31 PM.

MARS_REVENANT #56 Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:30 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 1911 battles

View PostRythcan, on 14 February 2018 - 12:24 PM, said:

No I said in the PM not to be rude again, its a poor show for a community ace. Learn to truthfully tell the whole story. As I said I was trying to help with my 1st post. Your the one who got rude. if you don't want the interpretations of others then don't post in a public forum and not expect someone to reply. It was my right to reply if I wanted to. See In a PM you get a reply from only the person your PMing, in a PUBLIC forum anyone can reply. I was trying to clarify for you the best way I could with my original post. Ie trying to help. Learn some manners, all you had to say was it was meant for the OP you could have left out the not the interpretations of others part. Pretty dang rude for a community ace. 

Oh boy, you just love this don't you.  Feel free to go ahead and post the screen shot of your PM if  you want to truthfully tell the whole story.

As I said previously, I quoted the OP and asked a question to the OP.  As I said before, I am looking for an answer from the OP, not the interpretations of others, if you feel that is rude and not becoming of a Community Ace, feel free to report such rude behavior.

REGARDS_

MARS_

Rythcan #57 Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:41 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1257 battles
  • [VX9] VX9

A community ace that isn't open to the interpretations of others and turns around and says that to a player is being far from respectful. Instead of saying what you said you could have as a helpful community ace just pointed out that you meant it for the OP. The second part is just plain rude. Well part of a community ace is and I quote from the ace forum 

you have been chosen based on the following criteria:

*Helpfulness
*forum activity
*your awesome guides
*your excellent ideas
*Your bug submitting prowess
*Flight Ability
*Feedback given
*Passion
*Your opinionated views, be them good or bad, and your willingness to post and explain them.

Please keep this in mind, and be respectful of others.
As much as we would hate to lose any of you, we will revoke status if necessary.

http://forum.worldof...-community-ace/

​No I wont report this but next time don't be rude to a player who was just trying to help. 

Also just because you quoted the OP doesn't automatically mean no one else but the OP can reply. If it is on the open forums of WG and the question not specifically directed at a person then yes I can reply if I want.  Didn't know there was a rule of WG that a person can not reply to a quoted statement of another if the question has no specific name attached to it, or is that just your personal rule.

Edited by Rythcan, 14 February 2018 - 05:49 PM.

MARS_REVENANT #58 Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:48 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 1911 battles

View PostRythcan, on 14 February 2018 - 12:41 PM, said:

A community ace that isn't open to the interpretations of others and turns around and says that to a player is being far from respectful. Instead of saying what you said you could have as a helpful community ace just pointed out that you meant it for the OP. The second part is just plain rude. Well part of a community ace is and I quote from the ace forum 

you have been chosen based on the following criteria:

*Helpfulness
*forum activity
*your awesome guides
*your excellent ideas
*Your bug submitting prowess
*Flight Ability
*Feedback given
*Passion
*Your opinionated views, be them good or bad, and your willingness to post and explain them.

Please keep this in mind, and be respectful of others.
As much as we would hate to lose any of you, we will revoke status if necessary.

http://forum.worldof...-community-ace/

​No I wont report this but next time don't be rude to a player who was just trying to help. 

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 14 February 2018 - 12:30 PM, said:

Oh boy, you just love this don't you.  Feel free to go ahead and post the screen shot of your PM if  you want to truthfully tell the whole story.

As I said previously, I quoted the OP and asked a question to the OP.  As I said before, I am looking for an answer from the OP, not the interpretations of others, if you feel that is rude and not becoming of a Community Ace, feel free to report such rude behavior.

REGARDS_

MARS_

The only interpretation that counts is that of the OP as they made the rules.  Like I have said, I asked the OP, am looking for an answer from the OP, not the interpretation of others.  If being clear seems rude to you, that is your opinion and you are free to have it.  As I said, feel free to report me if you think I am breaking rules.  I will take instruction from Administrators, not from you.

Edited by MARS_REVENANT, 14 February 2018 - 05:51 PM.

Rythcan #59 Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:02 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1257 battles
  • [VX9] VX9

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 13 February 2018 - 10:28 PM, said:

Is this cumulative over the duration of the contest, or the flight with the best battle/highest combat points in a single battle?

Confusing.

​mmm no where do I see Op mentioned. Looks like a open question to me. What am I supposed to read your mind? Just because you put a quote box in your post don't mean nothing. People use them for various reasons. "not the interpretation of others", "I will take instruction from Administrators, not from you" not but rude. Not once have I given you instruction in any way except for asking you to not be rude which is my right because a person can consider rudeness a form of bullying. I have ever legal right to ask you to stop. Once again I ask you to stop being rude. Also WG makes the rules of the forum not the OP.

Edited by Rythcan, 14 February 2018 - 06:08 PM.

MARS_REVENANT #60 Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:11 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 1911 battles

View PostRythcan, on 14 February 2018 - 01:02 PM, said:

​mmm no where do I see Op mentioned. Looks like a open question to me. What am I supposed to read your mind? Just because you put a quote box in your post don't mean nothing. People use them for various reasons. "not the interpretation of others", "I will take instruction from Administrators, not from you" not but rude. Not once have I given you instruction in any way except for asking you to not be rude which is my right because a person can consider rudeness a form of bullying. I have ever legal right to ask you to stop. Once again I ask you to stop being rude. Also WG makes the rules of the forum not the OP.

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 14 February 2018 - 11:28 AM, said:

I think I see what your issue is.  You don't know how this forum works.  Everything inside the 'Quote Box' was a quote from the OP.  Everything outside the quote box was my post, where I was asking questions.  So, if you look at my post, you will see what I quoted and what I asked.  Really, you should first figure things out for yourself before going off on people.

Here is a handy picture for you.

Spoiler

Now that  I have explained how the forum works to you, and I have also clarified that my questions are to the OP, the creator of the rules, and I have explained that I would like an answer from the OP do you think that you can let it go?

When you quote someone, you are mainly directing your statements to them.  Second time I have posted that picture for you.

Further, I have clarified multiple times that I am asking and waiting for an answer from the OP.

REGARDS_

MARS_

Edited by MARS_REVENANT, 14 February 2018 - 06:14 PM.

24 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 24 guests, 0 anonymous users