Bf-110 Heavy Fighter Line Equipment & Skills

Vf-110 Equipment Skills

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Mercsn #21 Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:43 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1069 battles

Catch21, a lot of your assumptions about what the equipment does is wrong. There are other threads up describing engine tuning and aircraft polish.  Look into those, or equip and test for yourself. 

Also, hitpoints are fairly worthless if you get something on you that you can't shake (and the bf110 can't shake anything) or outrun (there's a lot you also can't outrun).

And, you're failing to unclude boost in you acceleration thinking. You have a lot of it. Combined with the great increase from improved polish, in a dive, adding in the effect of more power from engine tuning (better acceleration, less speed loss in turns and climbs), those, combined with the appropriate skills to increase their effects (aero expert, engine guru), will give you more survivability than a "tank" build designed around hitpoints.  

If you want to run an HF with a tank build, you'll need something like the SNCase 100 that has a big hp pool to start with and a trolly tailgun. But, even then, if you're near more than one badguy, you're going to have trouble.

The Bf110 has speed, altitude and boost duration as its key strengths for both surviving and maintaining initiative  (choosing who and when to fight).

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

Catch21 #22 Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:40 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2631 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

View PostMercsn, on 09 February 2018 - 02:43 PM, said:

Catch21, a lot of your assumptions about what the equipment does is wrong. There are other threads up describing engine tuning and aircraft polish.  Look into those, or equip and test for yourself. 

Also, hitpoints are fairly worthless if you get something on you that you can't shake (and the bf110 can't shake anything) or outrun (there's a lot you also can't outrun).

And, you're failing to unclude boost in you acceleration thinking. You have a lot of it. Combined with the great increase from improved polish, in a dive, adding in the effect of more power from engine tuning (better acceleration, less speed loss in turns and climbs), those, combined with the appropriate skills to increase their effects (aero expert, engine guru), will give you more survivability than a "tank" build designed around hitpoints.  

If you want to run an HF with a tank build, you'll need something like the SNCase 100 that has a big hp pool to start with and a trolly tailgun. But, even then, if you're near more than one badguy, you're going to have trouble.

The Bf110 has speed, altitude and boost duration as its key strengths for both surviving and maintaining initiative  (choosing who and when to fight).

Probably, though I have read what I can find- I think (a lot) more experience is in order. 

But the logical and really only alternative to the 'flying tank' build (and associated skill Protection Expert) I'm trying to go with now is Engine Tuning and Improved Aircraft Polish as you point out- enhanced survivability through speed/altitude/boost (duration) not HP pool and damage reduction enhancements.

Maybe I've been playing with too many bots recently, but I'll keep testing (more BnZ practice) and thanks so much for your recommendations here.

mnbv_fockewulfe #23 Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:54 PM

First Lieutenant

• 247 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View Posttrikke, on 09 February 2018 - 02:12 PM, said:

does this mean -5 -10 degrees down from level flight?

that's inconceivably wrong that the game could be coded that way, even to someone without a basic understanding of most things, admittedly

is it a Bigworld issue, maybe...  since no other title has objects that pitch down?

I meant pitched down from level flight.

You can test it yourself.

From a pure gameplay perspective this is quite interesting. However,

from a balance and flight perspective?

WTH is going on here?

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

Mercsn #24 Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:57 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1069 battles

View PostCatch21, on 09 February 2018 - 02:40 PM, said:

Probably, though I have read what I can find- I think (a lot) more experience is in order.

But the logical and really only alternative to the 'flying tank' build (and associated skill Protection Expert) I'm trying to go with now is Engine Tuning and Improved Aircraft Polish as you point out- enhanced survivability through speed/altitude/boost (duration) not HP pool and damage reduction enhancements.

Maybe I've been playing with too many bots recently, but I'll keep testing (more BnZ practice) and thanks so much for your recommendations here.

One thing to also keep in mind is that you're fast.  So, you really have to force yourself to do some turns to let your bots/teammates in lighter fighters get out in front of you.  (The exception to this is a rare occurance in tier 4:  a map with 2 mines and you are racing to the mine closest to the enemy spawn so you can kill their Bombers/GA to either cap it or at least prevent them from doing so.)

In the olden days, I'd say lose some speed climbing, but with the AA the way it is now and the defense bot setup, I prefer to stay lower at the beginning of the game if I'm headed to a neutral area that won't have red enemies.  Staying low enough avoids flak damage (as does letting your bots go in first, if any are high enough to attract the focus of the flak guns).  As well as the defense bots being dodo enough to not really offer much chase, especially once you use your speed to exit the zone if one does come after you.

If you're on a map where you think you will encounter red planes, then gaining altitude as you approach is a good way to let your teammates get out in front of you.  And you'll have altitude to quickly knock out any bombers.  Bot HF (and players unfortunately) will usually dump altitude to drop bombs.  Resist the urge to chase them down.  Wait for a better target.  Catching fighters in head-on attacks is particularly rewarding, especially if they have already taken damage and/or are UK/Japanese planes and likely to stall out looking up at you.

Be wary of the planes that start sporting cannons in tier 4 and 5.  Going head on with a cannon equipped Hurricane II will hurt, for example, and if you get that guys attention by attacking him (only a problem with human players) those cannons mitigate your speed somewhat with their longer range.

This was my favorite OP plane back in the day, and even now, with the limited time I've flow in, it's got either my highest or 1 of my highest average xp/game and longest time/sortie of any plane all the way up to tier 8.  I feel like I'm cheating when I fly it.  So, hopefully you can find some fun in it also!

:izmena:

And you're very welcome if anything I suggest helps you out.

:honoring:

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

Reitousair #25 Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:30 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5929 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostCatch21, on 09 February 2018 - 12:40 PM, said:

Hmm, as many people say, the best tank is the one that cannot get hit at all. However usually if I'm running for survivability through speed, I still bring the improved covering or armor plates. After all, what good is a strong engine if they get knocked out all the time? Unfortunately no matter what you do there are some HF killer aircraft that no matter what will outspeed, outaccelerate, outmaneuver, and in some cases defeat your longer boost with long-range weaponry.

Usually full-HP pool is useful against slower aircraft that are a bit more powerful armaments-wise so you can weather their fire a bit and still get away. A speed-tank is better when trying to BnZ with pursuers or aircraft that have MASSIVE acceleration.

Just make sure that if there's ever a MiG-3 on the enemy team, that you maintain at least 20 seconds of boost no matter what way you build because their speed and acceleration is INSANE compared to yours however they lack the ability to hold their top speed quite like the 110.

No matter what proper equipment and skills are all down to preference, so, experience is the only way to truly know what works here.

Edited by Reitousair, 14 February 2018 - 07:31 PM.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users