I like the P39N, but it folded like a cheap suit under the guns of an F4U

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

CorvusCorvax #1 Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:48 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2003 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

That thing cannot take the heat.  Flying down low, I pick up a lot of AA.  BTW, this plane is pretty good for killing the gun emplacements.  Anyway, I'm pulling lead on a YAK, and went from nearly 75% health to dead in about a second.  My only consolation was that I got one good cannon round into the YAK, and he was hurting pretty badly as my aircraft augered in.

I need to grind the Corsair line to get one of those.  It seems like it can get the job done.  :)

LMG #2 Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2379 battles
20mm cannons are deceptively powerful
This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

Doc_Ebs #3 Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:02 PM

Master Sergeant

• 1042 battles
  • [FPOA] FPOA
I like the corsair at tier 6 so far. Turns are a bit meh like most American planes but it can hold its own.

SlappedbyRommel #4 Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:19 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2020 battles
  • [JG52] JG52
Its a good plane with good boost and outran a buddy in zero he could not catch me don't get into a turning battle you will lose fast. It loses energy quickly on hard banks and it is great for pounding AA. Once you get behind a target it doesn't last long.

CorvusCorvax #5 Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2003 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostSlappedbyRommel, on 05 February 2018 - 05:19 PM, said:

Its a good plane with good boost and outran a buddy in zero he could not catch me don't get into a turning battle you will lose fast. It loses energy quickly on hard banks and it is great for pounding AA. Once you get behind a target it doesn't last long.

I think in this case it must have been a cannon-armed version, because dang, I was toast in a huge hurry.  I'll remember that it's not a turner.  I seem to lean toward either good turning birds or BnZ types, and not much in between.

I just leveled up into the Bf-109 line.  Stock, without buffs or upgrades, it was a good turning fighter.  But damn, holding the guns on target for seconds was a pain.  I really have to upgrade this machine.

Johnny_Wishbone #6 Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:26 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 378 battles

View PostRico_CotC_, on 05 February 2018 - 09:29 AM, said:

I think in this case it must have been a cannon-armed version, because dang, I was toast in a huge hurry.  I'll remember that it's not a turner.  I seem to lean toward either good turning birds or BnZ types, and not much in between.

I just leveled up into the Bf-109 line.  Stock, without buffs or upgrades, it was a good turning fighter.  But damn, holding the guns on target for seconds was a pain.  I really have to upgrade this machine.

The 109 line is not a turn line.  It's an energy line.  You use superior speed and energy retention to take bites out of people until they die.  Every pass you make, you cut off another piece.  Don't try to keep guns on anyone for more than a three-count, at the most.  Stay with them for maybe one turn, then break off to reset.

NorthernPorter #7 Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:48 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha Test Veteran
  • 1657 battles

I was tempted to get the P39N but figured it isn't much different than the XFL-1, is that a fair assumption?

I really like the Corsair too. Those 4x 20mm cannons are nasty when you get them in on a target but I kind of like the 6x .50's better. Reminds me of Baa Baa Black Sheep every time I fly it.

CorvusCorvax #8 Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:27 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2003 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostNorthernPorter, on 05 February 2018 - 07:48 PM, said:

I was tempted to get the P39N but figured it isn't much different than the XFL-1, is that a fair assumption?

I really like the Corsair too. Those 4x 20mm cannons are nasty when you get them in on a target but I kind of like the 6x .50's better. Reminds me of Baa Baa Black Sheep every time I fly it.

They are the same plane, really, just a tier apart.  What the P39N lacks is the grunt to get up high to do work on bombers.  Which is a shame, because the big gun in the hub was really meant for bomber-killing.  Both the XFL and P39 do really good work on GAA, especially if you can get in a low-deflection situation.  The cannon will just melt away a GAA's hitpoints.  I have capped a mining plant on more than one occasion by killing opposing GAA with the thing.  I guess if you can keep your six clear, it is a great air defense aircraft.

Hiro_Yoshi #9 Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:26 PM

Master Sergeant

• 2468 battles

YAKS are sort of a trade secret. They can turn like a Spitfire all the way to Tier 10.

wscarter007 #10 Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:35 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4254 battles
  • [JG52] JG52
I love the 39n very fun to fly.  Any time I need credits it's my go to plane.  Any plane will fold with 4 20mm's  pounding it,  not the fault of the craft. 

CorvusCorvax #11 Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2003 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View Postwscarter007, on 05 February 2018 - 09:35 PM, said:

.  Any plane will fold with 4 20mm's  pounding it,  not the fault of the craft. 

You're not wrong.  Unless you have a mate keeping your tail clear, you have to check six always.  Forgetting that leads to pain and sorrow.  :)

Soylent_Red_Isnt_People #12 Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:03 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2395 battles

View PostNorthernPorter, on 05 February 2018 - 05:48 PM, said:

The P39 is what the XFL wants to be, and isn't; the pair of cal .50s in the nose is already range & firepower the tier V woefully lacks; unfortunately they both have the same weak six second boost and limited altitude capability.

Flying the P39 is often quite fun, provided your FPS doesn't take a dump, where the XFL is always for me so much work.

Edited by Soylent_Red_Isnt_People, 05 February 2018 - 11:04 PM.

"If they don't chase you after a mile, they don't chase ya.... Maybe it's two miles...."   ---   "You wanna play it soft, we'll play it soft. You wanna play it hard, let's play it hard."

5801234590.png

''Under control? You're grabbing a f**king bazooka, you dumba**!''

Capture Points & You --- Graphic Settings Explored --- Grinding Tokens; Not so Daily Missions --- Ground Targets & Mission Types in 2.0 --- Equipment 2.0.5; Huh?

mnbv_fockewulfe #13 Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:24 PM

Captain

• 259 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostSoylent_Red_Isnt_People, on 05 February 2018 - 11:03 PM, said:

The P39 is what the XFL wants to be, and isn't; the pair of cal .50s in the nose is already range & firepower the tier V woefully lacks; unfortunately they both have the same weak six second boost and limited altitude capability.

Flying the P39 is often quite fun, provided your FPS doesn't take a dump, where the XFL is always for me so much work.

But they never expect the 37mm derpiness head on in the XFL.:playing:

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

shirime #14 Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:58 PM

Master Sergeant

• 4123 battles
  • [FPOA] FPOA

To OP, yeah, the Corsair line's trademark quad 20mm autocannons are no joke, especially with a pilot with one or both marksman skills... they hit hard and the rounds go where you aim them. If a Corsair can draw a bead on a light fighter, it only takes about two seconds of fire to melt them. 

This only gets more and more true from tier 6 on; there are more and more planes that pack devastating firepower that will darn near insta-pop a light fighter IF you give them a nice easy target to hit. Generally, light fighters are all about SA (as opposed to the other classes :unsure:); glance at the minimap every few seconds to see what's coming your way (left alt for alternate mode to tell you what class of plane is around you). Most outcomes are almost wholly determined by initial engagement conditions - starting an engagement flatfooted with an opponent in your rear quadrant (or hell, even turning in from your 3 or 9) is hard to recover from unless your plane is significantly more maneuverable than they are. This gets hard to remember when you're firing on someone and zoomed in.

For SOP, flying in a straight line for any length of time will get you wiped out fast. I <try> to not get lazy; until you've checked the radar and see no one around you and are just trying to truck it to another area, you should always be twirling, rolling and turning. 

The P-39 is a major upgrade over the XFL-1, even accounting for the tier bump. And re: Yak v Spit - for pure TnB, Spit cannot compete with Yak T8-10 (in a straight up turning fight... see above for avoiding those terrible things). Spits stay more flexible with better speed and altitude, but oh man, Yaks can make Spit XIV/Attacker/Swift pilots rage (when they try to keep up in a turn and not run out like they should). The Ki line is the only one that can match the Yaks T8-10. 

hoom #15 Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:03 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3995 battles

^

|

That.

4*20mm kills pretty much anything very quickly.

P-39N-1 easily out turns a Corsair & will often get round on the tail plenty quick enough for a kill before it gets away.

While it looks like just XFL-1 up-tiered the N-1 is definitely sufficiently better to deserve the extra tier: its faster, has better altitude performance, better firepower & I find it noticeably easier to land the 37mm.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

comtedumas #16 Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:53 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 5854 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostDoc_Ebs, on 05 February 2018 - 12:02 PM, said:

I like the corsair at tier 6 so far. Turns are a bit meh like most American planes but it can hold its own.

roll in the direction you want to turn and pull back on the stick, it turns faster.  also, slow down and it will turn faster for a bit.  you don't need to turn long with someone to kill them with 4 20mm cannons, just a bit.  

CorvusCorvax #17 Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2003 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View Posthoom, on 10 February 2018 - 01:03 AM, said:

^

P-39N-1 easily out turns a Corsair & will often get round on the tail plenty quick enough for a kill before it gets away.

While it looks like just XFL-1 up-tiered the N-1 is definitely sufficiently better to deserve the extra tier: its faster, has better altitude performance, better firepower & I find it noticeably easier to land the 37mm.

Indeed.  My P39 has been buffed for turns, as has my pilot.  Which is why I could hang with a bot YAK.  But I have been getting jumped lately in the higher tiers because the minimap thing sucks for range.  Mine is set at 3.5 kilometers, and I'd rather have it set for 1.0  As it stands, It's hard to determine the nearest threat, and how much room I have to concentrate on sniper view.  A count of three is probably enough, then turn and pay attention to other aircraft. 

The XFL-1 is not as powerful all around, but it does handle in a very similar fashion.  By buffing the turning and the pilot's ability to turn, the thing will hang with bot Spits and YAKs.  A buffed YAK or Spit will out-turn it for sure.

Edited by Rico_CotC_, 10 February 2018 - 05:30 PM.

trikke #18 Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:13 PM

First Lieutenant

• 2557 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostRico_CotC_, on 10 February 2018 - 12:29 PM, said:

.  A count of three is probably enough, then turn and pay attention to other aircraft. 

my spidey-sense alarm goes off at about 3 seconds, but then my tunnel vision greediness for the kill reaches over and hits the snooze button 
Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Doc_Ebs #19 Posted 11 February 2018 - 12:10 AM

Master Sergeant

• 1042 battles
  • [FPOA] FPOA

View Postcomtedumas, on 10 February 2018 - 01:53 AM, said:

roll in the direction you want to turn and pull back on the stick, it turns faster.  also, slow down and it will turn faster for a bit.  you don't need to turn long with someone to kill them with 4 20mm cannons, just a bit.  

I already do that. I hit the air brakes, roll into the turn drop the flaps, halfway through the turn I roll into the throttle and raise my flaps. But you aren't out turning a spit or a ki or anything in a corsair.

Doc_Ebs #20 Posted 11 February 2018 - 12:12 AM

Master Sergeant

• 1042 battles
  • [FPOA] FPOA

View PostRico_CotC_, on 10 February 2018 - 05:29 PM, said:

Indeed.  My P39 has been buffed for turns, as has my pilot.  Which is why I could hang with a bot YAK.  But I have been getting jumped lately in the higher tiers because the minimap thing sucks for range.  Mine is set at 3.5 kilometers, and I'd rather have it set for 1.0  As it stands, It's hard to determine the nearest threat, and how much room I have to concentrate on sniper view.  A count of three is probably enough, then turn and pay attention to other aircraft. 

The XFL-1 is not as powerful all around, but it does handle in a very similar fashion.  By buffing the turning and the pilot's ability to turn, the thing will hang with bot Spits and YAKs.  A buffed YAK or Spit will out-turn it for sure.

interesting that you buff the turns on your p39. Most would consider the guns and speed to be the biggest advantage with good turning coming 3rd. I upgrade by the school of highlight your positive attributes before you buff the weakness. What kind of 180 or 360 turn times do you get buffed?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users