Tigercat - ugh?

F7F Heavy Fighter VII Paywall

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Soylent_Red_Isnt_People #1 Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:52 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1353 battles
  • [SOL] SOL

The tier VII F7F TigerCat; paywall aircraft WG intends for players to free XP out of grinding?

I don't always have a good match with the Lightning-F or -J, but during most battles they're at least enjoyable to fly about trying to zap, strafe, bomb, or rocket things.

However, I'm not getting much any enjoyment from flying this tub, and on the typical map configurations it ends up seeing my games with it either shine or suck with no real average results to speak of.

Has it just been rendered too difficult to use well with the 2.0 changes/meta - I'm down to barely playing it even once a day, as it's usually that painful to queue.

I'm somewhere around thirty kay from the Pancake, and skipped the upgrades for cannons & rockets, but wow is earning that last fifty odd thousand experience proving quite annoying.

"If they don't chase you after a mile, they don't chase ya.... Maybe it's two miles...."   ---   "You wanna play it soft, we'll play it soft. You wanna play it hard, let's play it hard."

5801234590.png

pyantoryng #2 Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:10 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 936 battles

The wing M3 can be used on F4U-4...and it will ease a lot of pain when you go that way. The HVAR Mk.25's earliest opportunity to obtain happen to be on F7F also.

Many heavy fighters get heavily (no pun inteded) shafted in 2.0...just gotta tough it out...

Edited by pyantoryng, 04 February 2018 - 06:10 PM.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

ExploratorOne #3 Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:59 PM

Master Sergeant

• 902 battles
  • [LOU1] LOU1

Some players like it:

https://youtu.be/_YHwwwQLJCg

Edited by ExploratorOne, 04 February 2018 - 07:01 PM.

Seraphil #4 Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:54 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1013 battles
Tigercat's hardly a paywall.  Thing is, you can't play it like a Lightning... because it's not a Lightning, it's a more traditional heavy fighter.  Other HFs can match your turning, so you have to rely on picking fights where you have the advantage going in, and get out ASAP after making your run.
ムリ( ' x ' )ダナ

Mercsn #5 Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:56 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1069 battles

Interestingly, I ran into a player in the wee hours of the morning who seemed to be having a blast in his f7f. He racked up 11k cp, decimated bots and players alike in one pass, and pushed his team to a superiority victory. 

Of course, he also out-turned my undamaged Spitfire V (with both manuevering equipment pieces and both related pilot skills).  So, make of that what you will. Considering he had little time in the f7f and a solid 53% wr in mid tiers, I'm thinking he got frustrated as well and got on the juice.  Server side blah blah.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

SpiritFoxMY #6 Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:10 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 936 battles

View PostMercsn, on 05 February 2018 - 01:56 AM, said:

Of course, he also out-turned my undamaged Spitfire V (with both manuevering equipment pieces and both related pilot skills).  So, make of that what you will. Considering he had little time in the f7f and a solid 53% wr in mid tiers, I'm thinking he got frustrated as well and got on the juice.  Server side blah blah.

He's got double your turn rate in the vertical. Coupled with a lot more speed and boost its possible he got you there.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Mercsn #7 Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:50 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1069 battles

Was in the horizontal, he came in from my rear. I dodged and ate some of his initial volley, but nothing was crit. Then, at about the same speed he followed me into my turn and stayed with me long enough to finish me off.

Even if maneuvering ability was equal (which it wasn't) he came at me with more speed and was closing the whole time, even once our arrows were turning. So, the distance and angle was cut so that to shoot me, he had to follow me through the turn, horizontal, which he did.

I'v seen an f4u out-turn me in a spit and a flightmate in a zero. I wish I could remember the name of the guy I saw do that and wonder if it may have been the same player. Either way, there's not a reasonable, legit, explanation.  

With the OP'S comment, it occurred to me that the player I fought may have felt the same, was the point of my post.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

SpiritFoxMY #8 Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:12 AM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 936 battles

Corsair out-turning a Spit I can believe: the difference in turn is close enough that if both have the same upgrades a Corsair can boost-pump to stick with a Spit at least for a short while. The 190 can do the same - they will slowly fall away but if they're suicidal enough to press the attack and have the jump on you they can be surprisingly sticky...long enough at least for their cannons to tear you apart. Also, remember that the improvements from turning upgrades are % so theoretically the lower maneuverability planes get larger reductions vis-a-vis your light fighter.

The Tigercat I dunno. He could have been running with Enhanced Flaps. Those give a 20% speed reduction and a... I think 5% increase in turning capacity. Coupled with a full turn spec he might have been able to boost-pump with you into that.

Anyway, just taking a punt. I don't fly the Tigercat - the Schwalbe is trouble enough

Edited by SpiritFoxMY, 05 February 2018 - 03:25 AM.

Soylent_Red_Isnt_People #9 Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:16 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1353 battles
  • [SOL] SOL

View PostSeraphil, on 04 February 2018 - 08:54 PM, said:

it's a more traditional heavy fighter.  Other HFs can match your turning, so you have to rely on picking fights where you have the advantage going in, and get out ASAP after making your run.

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 05 February 2018 - 01:12 AM, said:

He could have been running with Enhanced Flaps. Those give a 20% speed reduction and a... I think 5% increase in turning capacity. Coupled with a full turn spec he might have been able to boost-pump with you into that.

I may have to try the improved flaps thing, and the pilot has acrobatics, because right now it's meat the moment something starts chasing it and shooting.

"If they don't chase you after a mile, they don't chase ya.... Maybe it's two miles...."   ---   "You wanna play it soft, we'll play it soft. You wanna play it hard, let's play it hard."

5801234590.png

SpiritFoxMY #10 Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:34 PM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 936 battles

View PostSoylent_Red_Isnt_People, on 05 February 2018 - 05:16 PM, said:

I may have to try the improved flaps thing, and the pilot has acrobatics, because right now it's meat the moment something starts chasing it and shooting.

Improved flaps is 20% improved speed reduction and 3% increase in turn., not 5%. I keep remembering higher numbers. You're bleeding a lot of speed though. Not sure if that's a good thing in a heavy. 

ArrowZ_ #11 Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:31 AM

First Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 153 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 06 February 2018 - 03:04 AM, said:

Improved flaps is 20% improved speed reduction and 3% increase in turn., not 5%. I keep remembering higher numbers. You're bleeding a lot of speed though. Not sure if that's a good thing in a heavy. 

IMO no that equipment isn't suitable for HFs since you need excess speed now to do even remotely good in this plane category. I can only see it being useful in dogfights against other enemy HFs if you have trouble outturning some of them.

The F7F is a floating large hitbox atm. Kind of reluctant to take the dust off of mine because of that fact. Hard to find a fit for this aircraft. I have seen people fly it low and fast with full ordnance and taking out GAs along the way. It does open them to attacks from above which is always a bad situation for a HF. But the pancake at tier 8 is a different story. It's miles ahead of all its predecessors & does pretty much everything better with some TnB capabilities. Worth the grind imo. 

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

SpiritFoxMY #12 Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:43 AM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 936 battles

View PostArrowZ_, on 07 February 2018 - 12:31 AM, said:

IMO no that equipment isn't suitable for HFs since you need excess speed now to do even remotely good in this plane category. I can only see it being useful in dogfights against other enemy HFs if you have trouble outturning some of them.

I use it on my 262 for speed control in a dive after one too many overshoots into terrain moving against GAAs. I'm experimenting with a more performance build on that aircraft with Enhanced Flaps, Engine Tuning and Polished Surface and Aerobatic Expert, Aerodynamic Expert, Marksman I plus Engine Coolent, Control Trim and Premium Extinguishers. The straight shooty build with Gunsight and Marksman I & II wasn't doing so hot.

I think it has its role but the Tigercat... nghhh. That thing turns like a 262 but without the speed and acceleration. Lots of firepower though.

ComradeZ #13 Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:52 PM

Master Sergeant

• 1298 battles
  • [T-S-I] T-S-I
The plane is an animal if used correctly. I still take it out even though I'm grinding other lines. It's a fun ride when setup correctly!

Edited by ComradeZ, 10 February 2018 - 11:51 PM.

Also tagged with F7F, Heavy, Fighter, VII, Paywall

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users