Graphic Settings Explained?

GPU FPS Shadows Resolution Post Processing Texture Antialiasing Particle Quality Filtering

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Soylent_Red_Isnt_People #1 Posted 04 February 2018 - 04:25 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2309 battles
  • [SOL] SOL

I've done a few web and forum searches but couldn't find a specific post or thread for this.

Has anyone seen, or has one of the tech savvy folks worked up, an explanation for the 2.0 settings in Warplanes similar to these examples for Warships and Tanks?

In planes we seem to have;

- Screen Resolution *

- Screen Mode *

- Brightness

- Vertical Synchronization *

- Water Quality *

- Post Effect Quality

- Semi Transparent Object Quality

- Texture Filtering *

- Shadow Quality *

- Texture Quality *

- Object LOD *

- Particle Quality

- Motion Blur

- Foliage Quality *

- Silhouette Quality

- Render Quality

- Antialiasing *

* - explained in posts for the other games, just not specifically to Warplanes.

Although, at some point, you'd think WG could've added some kind of ''hover over tool tip'' for these options in their titles so folks can understand the choices instead of blindly guessing so much of the time.

Edited by Soylent_Red_Isnt_People, 04 February 2018 - 05:33 PM.

"If they don't chase you after a mile, they don't chase ya.... Maybe it's two miles...."   ---   "You wanna play it soft, we'll play it soft. You wanna play it hard, let's play it hard."

5801234590.png

''Under control? You're grabbing a f**king bazooka, you dumba**!''

mnbv_fockewulfe #2 Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:26 PM

First Lieutenant

• 236 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

I've done a few web and forum searches but couldn't find a specific post or thread for this.

Has anyone seen, or has one of the tech savvy folks worked up, an explanation for the 2.0 settings in Warplanes similar to these examples for Warships and Tanks?

In planes we seem to have;

- Screen Resolution * the amount of pixels there are on the screen displaying the game, higher resolution means more detail and a lower resolution on a high resolution screen increases performance but makes the game look more pixelated

- Screen Mode * Full screen (game takes up the entire screen) or windowed (game is in a typical window like how your browser is, the exit and minimize buttons are visible  and the task bar is visible, also increases performance

- Brightness the luminosity (gamma) or how bright the pixels are displayed on the screen, independent of the brightness settings on your monitor. Does not affect performance 

- Vertical Synchronization * (I could swear these had descriptions by hovering over before) syncs the display of the game with the display rate of the monitor to remove visual artifacts, in most cases not needed and decreases performance 

- Water Quality * how pretty the water looks. Obvious setting to lower to increase performance

- Post Effect Quality not sure

- Semi Transparent Object Quality new setting, not sure I believe this may have to do with either clouds or UI

- Texture Filtering * a kind of antialiasing

- Shadow Quality * how pretty shadows look. Turning off increases performance

- Texture Quality * how pretty textures look (i.e. paint on the plane, ground textures, water textures ect.) lower to increase performance

- Object LOD * I believe this is the load object distance, objects for away will be drawn less detailed than those up close or not drawn at all. Lower setting increases performance

- Particle Quality Bullets and explosions, also probably clouds and whales. Doesn't affect performance that much on high.

- Motion Blur Disable this, it eats performance by causing a blur when the camera moves.

- Foliage Quality * How pretty trees look, low setting increases performance

- Silhouette Quality May have to do with the outline of the plane, near looks better and far looks more pixelated, not sure if this affects performance

- Render Quality how pretty the plane looks, lowest setting does not in my experience help performance.

- Antialiasing * smooths out sharp edges

* - explained in posts for the other games, just not specifically to Warplanes.

Although, at some point, you'd think WG could've added some kind of ''hover over tool tip'' for these options in their titles so folks can understand the choices instead of blindly guessing so much of the time.

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

DrSinister #3 Posted 04 February 2018 - 07:20 PM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 95 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Post Effect Quality is probably the same as Post Processing in other games which normally does this:
This setting adds post processing effects that get added to the frame after it has rendered but before it is displayed on screen, some of the common effects are Depth of field, Bloom, Ambient Occlusion, Color grating, Blur, Halos, etc.

hoom #4 Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:26 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3297 battles

I have a fairly decent PC so play with everything maxed :)

Definitely should have tooltips & not the only bit missing them in this game.

Post Effect is stuff like the grain/grey colour on after death spectator mode, done as a 2d operation on each frame after its been rendered -> 'post' effect.

Regarding Screen Mode: Pretty sure Windowed Borderless wasn't present initially in 2.0 but is now & is preferable.

With Full Screen the game takes over the screen/OS so when you Alt-Tab a lot of the game gets shifted out of memory/Windows back into memory, Windowed Borderless looks like normal full screen but is actually running as a window as far as Windows is concerned so handles Alt-Tab & multi-monitors much better.

Can't remember exact reason but there is a technical reason Windowed Borderless is preferable with how Windows10 renders windows with DX12 graphics cards as well.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

Soylent_Red_Isnt_People #5 Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:28 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2309 battles
  • [SOL] SOL

As folks mentioned, I too thought there had been tool-tips at one point for settings in ships & planes.

- Water Quality; I didn't notice much any difference in the water between the Medium -> Low -> Very Low setting.

- Texture Filtering; No apparent, or at least noticeable, performance hit changing the setting from 2x to 4x.

- Texture Quality; This was the only setting that prompted me to need a download for HD client type graphics when I tried selecting the High setting.

Edited by Soylent_Red_Isnt_People, 05 February 2018 - 06:15 PM.

"If they don't chase you after a mile, they don't chase ya.... Maybe it's two miles...."   ---   "You wanna play it soft, we'll play it soft. You wanna play it hard, let's play it hard."

5801234590.png

Wombatmetal #6 Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:43 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 750 battles

View PostDrSinister, on 04 February 2018 - 11:20 AM, said:

Post Effect Quality is probably the same as Post Processing in other games which normally does this:
This setting adds post processing effects that get added to the frame after it has rendered but before it is displayed on screen, some of the common effects are Depth of field, Bloom, Ambient Occlusion, Color grating, Blur, Halos, etc.

Where you are likely to notice post processing/post effect in this game is with anti aliasing - will the wires on your plane be pixalated or if you allow the GPU to smooth the lines post the effect, and you see normal wires. 

f16falcona46 #7 Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:58 AM

Senior Airman

• 1702 battles
  • [NTFLX] NTFLX
Vertical Synchronization (Vsync)'s biggest advantage is that once your GPU has reached the refresh rate of your monitor, it will be only produce new frames when needed, instead of wasting power and processing time rendering frames that won't be shown. For example, I have a 60hz monitor, so any FPS level above 60 is wasted power.

DrSinister #8 Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:12 PM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 95 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postf16falcona46, on 14 February 2018 - 03:58 AM, said:

Vertical Synchronization (Vsync)'s biggest advantage is that once your GPU has reached the refresh rate of your monitor, it will be only produce new frames when needed, instead of wasting power and processing time rendering frames that won't be shown. For example, I have a 60hz monitor, so any FPS level above 60 is wasted power.

Correct but V-Sync can also cause input lag on your screen, hence why a lot of Pro Gamers in shooters do not use V-Sync.  I find it best that if the game has it to use a Frame Limiter instead of V-Sync. 

Soylent_Red_Isnt_People #9 Posted 24 February 2018 - 02:07 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2309 battles
  • [SOL] SOL
I've checked V-sync to be ''on'', which seems to have helped with the hangar flickering at times; but here today I'll turn it back off and see if the plane is still doing weird things in matches from time to time.

5801234590.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users