Joystick recommendations

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Krumhorn #1 Posted 30 January 2018 - 05:31 PM

Senior Airman

• 8583 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

I am thinking of getting a joystick to use with WOWP.  I have never used one before.  What are the pros and cons of these? Are they better than a mouse, etc.?

The 4 default settings that are present in the game are for the following joysticks: 1) Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, 2) Thrustmaster  T.16000 M, 3) Thrustmaster  T Flicht Stick X, and 4) Seitek Cyborg V.1 Flight stick.

I suspect that the ones that have default settings in the WOWP "settings" menu are probably less trouble to set up and use in WOWP ( and probably are less likely to cause trouble when playing).  Which of the default ones are the best?  Are there others that are better and easy to set up and use without crashing, etc.?  Thanks.

NorthernPorter #2 Posted 30 January 2018 - 05:56 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha Test Veteran
  • 1652 battles

I think the benefits to using a joystick are that you don't run out of desktop space when banking like you do with mouse control. The joystick gives more of a flying feeling when playing. You can map commands to buttons on the stick so they are quicker to hit.

I'm undecided though if I get better control from a joystick or the keyboard & mouse. At least with WoWP that is. If in an actual flight sim, then the only way to go is a joystick or yoke.

I have a cheap Saitek now, and it gets the job done but could be better.

My friend had a Thrustmaster Flight Stick X, and the thing was neat, it had force feedback so it would shake when you were hit. That got annoying though so we turned it off. It worked well enough.

My favorite was a Logitech Wingman that I used for a long time. It eventually broke after years of use and us moving. I really liked it though and would consider getting another.

Edited by NorthernPorter, 30 January 2018 - 05:58 PM.

SlappedbyRommel #3 Posted 30 January 2018 - 06:06 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1976 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

I use the Thrustmaster  T.16000 M and the guys I game with use this one also and so far no complaints. It does all I want in a joystick with programmable settings or you can use default settings its your choice plus I found it very easy to setup. The ergonomics on the grip are good and you can modify it if you are left handed it comes with the grip rests for the change.

I used a mouse before and that was not so great since I found the yaw very difficult to kick the rudder with the mouse but this joystick works great for this. Don't know about the others others will need to fill you in.

BuffaloTime #4 Posted 30 January 2018 - 06:15 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 6565 battles
  • [3MNKY] 3MNKY

View PostSlappedbyRommel, on 30 January 2018 - 01:06 PM, said:

I use the Thrustmaster  T.16000 M and the guys I game with use this one also and so far no complaints. It does all I want in a joystick with programmable settings or you can use default settings its your choice plus I found it very easy to setup. The ergonomics on the grip are good and you can modify it if you are left handed it comes with the grip rests for the change.

I used a mouse before and that was not so great since I found the yaw very difficult to kick the rudder with the mouse but this joystick works great for this. Don't know about the others others will need to fill you in.

I have the same. Much easier to turn fight. Have to learn how to target without any aiming aids. Ruining out of mouse pad when low sometimes means you hit water or ground.

Fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark and brother, it's starting to rain.

Demons run when a good man goes to war.

ExploratorOne #5 Posted 30 January 2018 - 06:25 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1643 battles
  • [LOU1] LOU1
The Logitech 3D Pro is a good stick and it is pretty inexpensive.  One thing I like is having the Sniper Zoom button on the side of the stick.  That way, I just squeeze the stick a bit more with my thumb to enter Sniper mode.  I want to get a Saitek X-52, but still can justify the price right now.  The Logitech is about $39.

Captain_Rownd #6 Posted 30 January 2018 - 06:47 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 356 battles
When I did my joystick hunting a couple years ago I was recommended the CH Products combo "Fighterstick USB" and "Pro Throttle USB". 

Jager_Gunner #7 Posted 30 January 2018 - 07:02 PM

Master Sergeant

• 97 battles
  • [TWE] TWE
Although I wouldn't reccomend it for this game, I use this one https://www.amazon.c...A7TL&ref=plSrch for WT.

Zapperguy #8 Posted 30 January 2018 - 07:39 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 63 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

While there are better sticks out there, the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is a really good option for this game. If you are playing actual flight sims, then you probably want a HOTAS (Hands On Throttle-And-Stick) joystick.

The Logitech is cheap ($30-$35 on Amazon) and has 12 programmable buttons, a throttle, twist rudder, and a hat switch. It's more than enough stick for this game.

I'm on my 5th one over the past 12-15 years of flying things. I admittedly get a bit ham-handed during an intense battle which has led to the demise of a few sticks. I do wish they made the identical stick in a "pro" version made of metal, I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat. It's a good joystick, but it is made entirely of plastic.

As far as setting it up, everybody will tell you something different and nobody is right or wrong here. The button mapping is entirely personal preference. If you want your flaps activated by the trigger, you can map it. :)

Settings pre-2.0 (The game was a lot different then)

Changes from pre-2.0 settings:

2. Lock Nearest Target

7. Lock Dangerous Enemy

10. Switch to Turret Control Mode

11. Snap to Target (If I flew bombers regularly, I would keep this set to "Switch to Bombing Mode")

In "Advanced Settings" under the "Signal Correction" tab, you can fine tune yaw, pitch, etc. I leave them all stock because I fly all classes of planes and stock makes them all behave predictably, If you fine tune your stick for fighters, then if you use the same settings for another class, you may struggle. Under the "Thrust and Boost" section you can fine tune your throttle and when boost kicks in. I keep mine so the throttle is at 100% about 3/4 the way up with dead space above it and a tiny sliver of boost in the top few percent of the scale. That way it's easy to cruise at top speed while allowing your boost to reset.

I'm a glutton for punishment, and I fly using a 1st-person-only camera mod. I find that while using a joystick (I won't fly without one), 1st-person allows for the most immersive sense of being in the pilot's seat that this game can allow.

It looks like this in game:

It is available here: http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/50576-first-person-look-at-2030

:honoring:

edit: Amazon link provided.

Edited by Zapperguy, 30 January 2018 - 07:41 PM.

Goat_mesiah #9 Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:55 PM

Senior Airman

• 2916 battles
  • [-GCR-] -GCR-

https://imgur.com/a/ETMuo

Thrustmaster  FCS flightpack (Joystick, Throttle, and foot-peddles).

Thrustmaster  F-16 MFD.

Bong (optional).

Edited by Goat_mesiah, 30 January 2018 - 11:00 PM.

DrSinister #10 Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:41 AM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 114 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Logi 3D Pro was one of the main sticks used by a lot of JS players back from Closed Beta to end of 1.9.  I have gone through 2 Logi 3D Pros from Day 2 of CB to last days of 1.9 and some games in 2.0, which is what 5 years.  (too many things going on to concentrate back on WoWp 2.0 for me, even though I want too).

3D Pro is a cheap stick and cheap to replace when you break it also easy to repair depending on what broke.  But it still uses Pots for its sensors which over time will get dirty easily and start to have centering issues.

TM T.16000 is the cheapest Magnetic Hall Sensor sticks you can buy on the market and they are very accurate.  Most of your high end sticks uses Magnetic Hall Sensors.

Biggest thing that will be an issue going from M/KB is the unlearning your muscle memory with M/KB to JS, since in JS the crosshair does not move.  It is static in the center, unlike how the M/KB you move a 2nd cursor then the crosshair plays catch up.

It has been known that Mouse is more accurate at shooting because you can get more precise aim with it, but the JS has better control of the planes.  But over time with either setup you will get better with its downsides.

Playing with JS for 5 yrs, since CB, with a JS, it is so hard for me to go to M/KB.  Heck I even bought Flight Pedals for WoWp, but that was after 3 years of playing WoWp with a JS that has a twist Z axis in the handle.  Because my muscle memory was to the twist that now I have a $160 foot rest that sits under my desk.

I would not invest much into a JS if you are just wanting to figure out if its for you in WoWp, unless you plan to use the JS for other games that uses them.  If you are just going to use the JS for WoWp I would get the cheapest first and see if it works out (Logi 3D Pro).  Then if you find that it is your style of play then I would either upgrade to the TM T16000 or even a Hotas (but I think a Hotas is too much for WoWp).

Edited by DrSinister, 31 January 2018 - 01:43 AM.

Fikes #11 Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:24 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3380 battles
  • [THC-] THC-
Been using a Logitech Pro 3 since forever in this game(closed beta). Anything you'll want to use can find a keypad button somewhere. And it's just surprisingly well made for the price. I feel bad for people that try to play this game just mouse and keyboard.

CruzANDBruz #12 Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:42 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 8318 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
Your original question was whether joysticks were better than using mouse/keyboard. That has to be answered by you. There are players here who will use nothing but keyboard and mouse while making mince meat out of you in a battle. For me, the joystick was a door opener at a time when I was struggling. I plugged it in, it immediately felt natural to me, and my game play benefited by it. I never looked back and would never consider going back to mouse and keyboard. It's all about what works for you.

Pogo68 #13 Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:43 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1649 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 30 January 2018 - 10:47 AM, said:

When I did my joystick hunting a couple years ago I was recommended the CH Products combo "Fighterstick USB" and "Pro Throttle USB". 

I have that same Fighterstick.

I originally got it to replace my 2nd Saitek X52 which developed control input issues, I was playing with Falcon 4.0, IL-2 1946 at the time.

That was 2007.

The only saitek unit I still have is the throttle quadrant from the X-52, but the CH Fighterstick is still as buttery smooth as it was on the day I bought it.

It's starting to squeak a bit, so I'll have to take it apart to clean and lubricate the moving parts but it's the most stable joystick I've ever come across since my first Kraft joystick for my old 8088 which looks like this

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

Moggytwo #14 Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:38 AM

Senior Airman

• 931 battles

I use a TM hotas warthog plus pedals, I obviously wouldn't recommend buying that just for wowp, but that's what I have so that's what I use.  I probably wouldn't play wowp if I didn't have a joystick.

I think pedals are essential, so much of the fine tuning of the aiming is done with the pedals, I wouldn't be able to hit a thing without them.  The other essential thing is binding 'snap to target', and using it constantly!

Pogo68 #15 Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1649 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

View PostMoggytwo, on 01 February 2018 - 02:38 AM, said:

I think pedals are essential, so much of the fine tuning of the aiming is done with the pedals, I wouldn't be able to hit a thing without them.  The other essential thing is binding 'snap to target', and using it constantly!

I second that.

I've never been able to make small corrections or even make a steady turn with just the mouse and keyboard.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

DrSinister #16 Posted 03 February 2018 - 12:02 PM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 114 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostMoggytwo, on 01 February 2018 - 05:38 AM, said:

I think is more of just having the Z axis separated from the rest of the axis unlike M/KB.  Because I fine tune with my just my Logi 3D Pro just fine with the Z Axis on the stick as being the twist part.

Pogo68 #17 Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:02 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1649 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

View PostDrSinister, on 03 February 2018 - 04:02 AM, said:

I think is more of just having the Z axis separated from the rest of the axis unlike M/KB.  Because I fine tune with my just my Logi 3D Pro just fine with the Z Axis on the stick as being the twist part.

That works too.

Though I found the twist stick a bit difficult to modulate when I had the Logitech 3D Pro.

I found that using one of the wheels on x-52's throttle quadrant will give you more control.

I've seen them selling just the throttle on e-bay for 25-50 USD.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP

Captain_Rownd #18 Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:57 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 356 battles

View PostMoggytwo, on 01 February 2018 - 10:38 AM, said:

I think pedals are essential, so much of the fine tuning of the aiming is done with the pedals, I wouldn't be able to hit a thing without them. 

I have yaw on both the thumb hat of my joystick and the analog thumbstick of my throttle controller. 

Krumhorn #19 Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:19 PM

Senior Airman

• 8583 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

Here is a video from 2.0 era that goes over the advantages and disadvantages of joysticks vs mice.

https://www.youtube....h?v=uWvd2Ubib24

CorvusCorvax #20 Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1769 battles
  • [JG52] JG52

View PostAnimadversion, on 12 February 2018 - 03:19 PM, said:

Here is a video from 2.0 era that goes over the advantages and disadvantages of joysticks vs mice.

https://www.youtube....h?v=uWvd2Ubib24

The ability to keep my eyes on my target is the sole reason I use the mouse/keyboard combo.  I prefer flying with a joystick, for sure.  I'd love to do a combo - throttle quadrant with buttons, and mouse.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users