Stuck on Connecting Screen

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Ni4Ni_1 #1 Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:14 PM

Airman Basic

• 4812 battles
  • [TWE] TWE
I was playing a round this morning and the bases were uncap-able ,enemy plane that were shot down stayed on the mini map and  their icons still showed when they hit the ground and the round just wouldn't end even after the timer counted down. I left and returned to hanger couldn't pick any other planes and now my wheels just spin on the connecting screen. I already tried deleting my "Preferences" file but still no go any help here????

Mercsn #2 Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:46 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1069 battles

Your internet connection is likely to blame.  This is symptomatic of high packet loss. Meaning, the internet connection isn't quite bad enough for you to get disconnected outright, but the bandwidth is so strained that either game packets between client to server and back to client are either being lost or held up and then jumbling in at the same time.

If you're using wireless, wi-fi, it could be something as simple as environmental interference such as a microwave oven running. 

If you're plugged in, then the load on the internet connection is greater than the connection's capacity to handle all the traffic.  This could occur if you have some programs decide to update while you are trying to game (or if you have roomates who like inet pron). 

There are also instances where it could be a bad hop killing packet transfer or an issue with the server itself. But, the most likely cause and solution is on your end.

Unfortunately, if this is sporadic, it can be virtually impossible for you to diagnose. Set all your programs (windows, other game launchers that may load when you start your pc, etc) to only manually update or suggest updates,m but not automatically download.  If you're plugged in, check if anyone else in the house is downloading or streaming something.  If you're on wi-fi, you may be at the mercy of your neighbors.  Different kinds of radios or RF interference can mess up throughput as can electrical interference.

If you'd like a rough idea if the robustness of your current connection, google how to open a "command prompt" on your version of windows.  In the little black window that appears type:

ping -t www.google.com

Press enter and your ping to Google will begin to scroll in that screen.  You can leave this window open while you play. I use Google.com for this because they have pretty reliable gateways.  

When you notice the behavior described in your OP or other oddities such as your plane flying sideways or hit indicators on enemy planes, but no actual damage to them, tab out and look at the ping scroll (you may want to scroll the window up as ping reports every second).

If you notice the ping jump from low (below 100ms) or stable medium-high numbers (100 to 300, but consistent) to high (500 to 3000ms) or lots of spikes (from 50ms to 1500ms for example) then you can see that your connection is either getting environmental interference or is the bandwidth is being exceeded.  Wowp does not require or use much bandwidth, so either your available bandwidth has decreased during this event or the load has increased from other programs or devices downloading or some combination of both.

If you notice "timed out" in the ping scroll, it means that you didn't get a response in 3000ms, 3 seconds.  If your client doesn't hear from the game server for a duration like that,  but you don't get disconnected, your client will continue showing you the game, but enemy planes may sit still, your plane my fly through the ground,  etc. 

Edited by Mercsn, 23 January 2018 - 04:00 PM.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

Ni4Ni_1 #3 Posted 23 January 2018 - 04:18 PM

Airman Basic

• 4812 battles
  • [TWE] TWE

I have fiber optics... my ping is from 5ms to 11ms... Can login to tanks and Ships no planes:( It is like my plane is still in battle or something

Edited by Ni4Ni_1, 23 January 2018 - 04:23 PM.

pyantoryng #4 Posted 23 January 2018 - 04:40 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1303 battles
Reset your router?

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Mercsn #5 Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:13 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1069 battles

I knew he was going to chime in that his ping was fine. People who rarely have bad ping always do. But, they don't check their ping at the time these issues occur, independently (they just rely on what a game tells them their ping is).

Best of luck OP.  Oh, and don't bother with an umbrella.  It's never raining.  Ever. Really. 

Ni4Ni_1 #6 Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:55 PM

Airman Basic

• 4812 battles
  • [TWE] TWE
I tested it from the site you told me and sorry if it was on my end I wouldn't of posted but thanks for your help and  Sarcasm .... by the way not afraid of getting wet so you can stick that umbrella where the sun doesn't shine . Really  

Edited by Ni4Ni_1, 23 January 2018 - 05:57 PM.

Desmios #7 Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:42 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 855 battles

I am having the same issue.

My internet connection is fine, I can connect and play ever other game.

Mercsn #8 Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:43 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1069 battles

As I said in my post, transient problems can be very difficult to diagnose...especially if you normally have no problems and normally have very good connectivity and bandwidth.   You earned my sarcasm when you said your ping was good without having said if you were still having the issue when you tested it.

I'm sure you've seen this post, but here's a guy having a similar issue who used some tool from WG to track his packet hops.  I'm not sure if that's a readily available download.  Ping Plotterhas a free version and does the same thing.  This may help you find where your packets are getting lost.

Desmios #9 Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:45 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 855 battles

View PostMercsn, on 23 January 2018 - 09:43 PM, said:

As I said in my post, transient problems can be very difficult to diagnose...especially if you normally have no problems and normally have very good connectivity and bandwidth.   You earned my sarcasm when you said your ping was good without having said if you were still having the issue when you tested it.

I'm sure you've seen this post, but here's a guy having a similar issue who used some tool from WG to track his packet hops.  I'm not sure if that's a readily available download.  Ping Plotterhas a free version and does the same thing.  This may help you find where your packets are getting lost.

Merc, are you able to login right now and play?

BUDWAR #10 Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:07 PM

Airman Basic

• 257 battles
I have been have the same thing cant get it just sit there saying loading it been doing it since the last update. most likely have to wait till next patch to get it fix.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users