HEEEE YAWWWWW~! (and XP-44)

yaw to the left yaw to the right

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Desmios #1 Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:07 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1251 battles

Ok so,

MercSN recently replied to a post where he said  yaw'ing was important for them there bombers.

So I bound yaw to the left and yaw to the right and gave them a go -- but I can't quite figure out how they work.

First, can someone explain what 'yawing' is?  It seems to quickly nudge the aircraft in the left/right direction, but that is it; I feel it could be powerful for evasive maneuvering, if I can figure out how it works.

Can anyone give situations where yaw'ing is advised?  Not just in bombers, but all aircraft.

Bonus: XP-44 only has pew pew little machine guns?  It feels way underpowered for a multirole.  My goal is to get each line to T7 and so far I have, but I looked all the way up the XP-44 line and they ALL have pew pew little machine guns -- no cannons.

Is that line worth going up?  If I want pew pew machine guns I have fighters for that.  I don't want pew pew machine guns in a multirole.

DOUBLE BONUS:  The XP-44 gets bombs, while the other american multi-role line gets rockets.  Do you guys ever use the rockets for attacking ground targets?  I find myself only using them to hit GA/bombers -- am I missing out?

Thanks all

Edited by Desmios, 22 January 2018 - 11:08 PM.

IronWolfV #2 Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:32 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 278 battles
Yawing in this game is being in turret mode then hitting A or D. Remember Yaw is swinging left or right. Pitch is up and down, roll, well should under stand that right?

This isn't dueling pistols at dawn. This is war. You sneak up behind your enemy and you bash him over the skull. I know this, so does Scar. That's why I'm gonna kill him.

-Starbuck, Battlestar Galactica

Desmios #3 Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:37 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1251 battles

View PostIronWolfV, on 22 January 2018 - 06:32 PM, said:

Yawing in this game is being in turret mode then hitting A or D. Remember Yaw is swinging left or right. Pitch is up and down, roll, well should under stand that right?

Hmm, swinging is a good way to describe it.  As it does seem to swing -- then flip on axis and do some odd maneuvers (if button is held)

Soylent_Red_Isnt_People #4 Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:45 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2395 battles

Yaw is the rudder, which is what the plane is using in the basic control configuration when a player moves their mouse straight across to the right or left.

On a key it can sometimes be used to make more extreme maneuvers in combination with other inputs, but the game doesn't seem to handle this well (not being a flight sim).

"If they don't chase you after a mile, they don't chase ya.... Maybe it's two miles...."   ---   "You wanna play it soft, we'll play it soft. You wanna play it hard, let's play it hard."

5801234590.png

''Under control? You're grabbing a f**king bazooka, you dumba**!''

Capture Points & You --- Graphic Settings Explored --- Grinding Tokens; Not so Daily Missions --- Ground Targets & Mission Types in 2.0 --- Equipment 2.0.5; Huh?

Jager_Gunner #5 Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:53 PM

Master Sergeant

• 110 battles

View PostSoylent_Red_Isnt_People, on 22 January 2018 - 11:45 PM, said:

Yaw is the rudder, which is what the plane is using in the basic control configuration when a player moves their mouse straight across to the right or left.

On a key it can sometimes be used to make more extreme maneuvers in combination with other inputs, but the game doesn't seem to handle this well (not being a flight sim).

Yeah, these controls do well in WT but not so well here. 

Dru83 #6 Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:17 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4652 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

Desmios said:

First, can someone explain what 'yawing' is?

Yawing is using the rudder to turn the plane left or right without changing the aircraft's bank angle. So, when yawing without doing anything else, the wings can stay straight and level while you turn. In real life that is. In WOWP, in order for the yaw to work correctly, you have to move the mouse sideways while pressing the key, otherwise, the plane will roll back towards the aiming reticule.

In a fighter, yawing can be used to cut into or away from an opponent's turn by going into a high yo-yo or low yo-yo during a turn fight. For a low yo-yo, in a turn, use the rudder to bring your nose down and then back up, cutting into the enemy's turn and bringing you closer to him. For a high yo-yo, use the rudder to bring your nose up and then back down, slowing your self down and putting more space between you and the enemy, useful to avoid overshooting the enemy.

In a GA or bomber, yawing can be used to slide your aircraft sideways to avoid gunfire momentarily. This is called a skid by US pilots and they used it often against the Japanese, but it will only cause them to miss once or twice, it won't get someone off your tail. However, in a GA, yawing hard in one direction while hitting the brakes and flaps and pulling up all at the same time will cause people to overshoot though. In a bomber, yawing can be used to make subtle course corrections while preparing to bomb.

Desmios said:

Is that line worth going up?  If I want pew pew machine guns I have fighters for that.  I don't want pew pew machine guns in a multirole

The P-47 line is fun to play, but if you aren't patient enough for machine guns, you might want to stay away. The playstyle is Boom and Zoom only, no turning at all. Lose too much speed and everyone will be all over you. The Thunderbolts have tons of rockets and bombs and are almost mini-GAs. A Thunderbolt can easily take a command center or Missile base by itself where as a fighter would have to have support to take out the ground targets. You can't play them like a GA though, because if all you do is attack ground targets, you will be an easy target and you'll miss out on air kills that would do more to help your team.

The XP-44 gets bombs, while the other american multi-role line gets rockets.  Do you guys ever use the rockets for attacking ground targets?  I find myself only using them to hit GA/bombers -- am I missing out?

I use rockets for taking out AA guns or a single larger target all the time. It's nice to hit ground targets from a distance and get right back to shooting down planes. I also like to hold on to them for head on battles with Heavies or other multi-roles. This is especially useful when you don't have cannons and the other guy does. The P-47s after the XP-44 have both rockets and bombs.

Edited by Dru83, 23 January 2018 - 01:33 AM.

Mercsn #7 Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:18 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2993 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Multi-role fighters ARE fighters!  But...I'll continue to beat that horse until fighters, all 3 classes of fighters stop messing with ground targets if there are aerial targets available. 

The p-47s, at least, have 8 "little pew pew" .50 cal mgs, which are quite capable of putting the hurt on anything flying.  They have great rate of fire and low overheat, and are all the same caliber. The downside isn't so much lack of hitting power, but range. They only have 5-600m whereas 20mm+ (except German 30mm) can reach out 7-900m or more. 

Variety.  The German and Russian planes have cannons good at dealing lots of damage quickly to aircraft, but with short firing time. They also have a lighter or non existing ordnance load.  The US planes have lighter guns, but larger ordnance loads.

Personally, I have a lot of fun with the XP-44 doing everything from picking off zeros in tge furrball to taking out bomber flights, to helping cap factories or command centers.  

The P-47B?  This plane I don't care for. It just doesn't seem to do things as well as the XP-44 for tier.  Could be happy coincidence that the XP-44 just gets easier matches when I run it.  

As for yaw, this is using the tail rudder to control the horizontal, left and right, direction of travel.  This is probably the one area where joystick users have a strong advantage over mouse + kb users (assuming WG hasn't realized this and removed rudder control from joystick control scheme!).  

For M+Kb, the ai is flying the plane. We're just kinda "suggesting" where we'd like the nose to go.  The ai routine gets confused when you toss in key inputs while it's trying to do its thing. 

I mention yaw being very useful in bombers because their control coding has them NOT roll much when turning. So, with M+Kb, you can do a relatively controlled yaw turn using yaw keybinds.

Fighter ai control coding uses much more roll when turning. So, using yaw in a fighter will get the nose to yaw a little and then the ai gets confused and starts trying to roll into a turn while also trying to center and level the aircraft.  The results are interesting to watch, but not particularly useful or controllable. Changing level off rate or center rate in advanced settings may reduce this wonkiness, but fighter ai never liked yaw key input, so I haven't tried fiddling with it much in fighters for 2.0.

Joystick guys are actually driving the plane.  So, they can use yaw (from keybind, buttons, twist joystick, or rudder pedals -no idea what WoWP supports in that regard) to actually move the nose left and right without any ai control routine trying to do strange things snd fighting their control input.  

Theres plenty of times in fighters that I wish I could adjust my nose just a bit left or right to land a shot, but the ai flying the plane says, "Nay, nay!!". 

There used to be a mouse control mode designed to simulate a joystick (that some people loved, but I found unplayable). I think that mode did allow yaw key inputs without the wonkiness since the ai was letting the player be in more control.  But, I think WG removed that control scheme because....reasons. 

Utilizing yaw and roll keybinds together in M+Kb control scheme can result in some evasive rolls, but I still find a hard turn and transitions between horizontal and vertical planes slightly better at beating incoming aim-assist boosted fire. YMMW, feel free to play around with mashing roll and yaw to see if you can find a useful key combo.

There's another thread where someone describes a "snap roll" and you can "kind of" do this manuever using yaw + roll keybinds along with mouse pitch input, but it is, in my experience, inconsistent and fairly useless vs an enemy who isn't right on your tail. If he's a ways back, he'll just drag is mouse down and keep hitting you as you lose altitude and roll. And, with aim-assist, his bullets just have to get "close enough" to do damage to you.

Oh, and I'm terrible at aerial rocketry, so in the unusual event I find myself in a match in an aircraft equipped with rockets, I will use them against ground targets, usually the hardened pieces of AA guns. But...this is pretty rare. Rockets take a bigger toll on speed than bombs. And if you don't have speed, you may as well just paint a big target on these fat unmanueverable xp piñatas.  Since bombs are both more useful in capturing a point and have less impact on speed, I usually won't load rockets or both (unless I'm in a rare RP mood), on an occasion where I add any of that junk to the wings of a fighter.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

ArrowZ_ #8 Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:42 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles

You yaw to tighten your turn. At least That's how i get the best result from it. It helps with aiming too. But imo yawing is best utilised withta joystick due to the minute inputs you can do compared to tapping a key on a keyboard.

You're actually already yawing with a mouse. But its more a "flybywire" effect than actually controlling the yaw axis.

One thing to watch out for is excessive yawing can bleed alot of your airspeed. Since this is an arcade it's not so pronounced compared to real life. 

Edited by ArrowZ_, 23 January 2018 - 12:43 AM.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

ExploratorOne #9 Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:42 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1679 battles
  • [LOU1] LOU1
I use a joystick and notice that using the arrow keys to yaw produces weird roll-type maneuvers.  Twisting the stick, however, gives a smooth pan left or right.  Going to look at my settings because it seems a previous poster is getting the smooth panning from keys while using a joystick.

comtedumas #10 Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:33 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 6887 battles

View PostDesmios, on 22 January 2018 - 06:07 PM, said:

Ok so,

MercSN recently replied to a post where he said  yaw'ing was important for them there bombers.

So I bound yaw to the left and yaw to the right and gave them a go -- but I can't quite figure out how they work.

First, can someone explain what 'yawing' is?  It seems to quickly nudge the aircraft in the left/right direction, but that is it; I feel it could be powerful for evasive maneuvering, if I can figure out how it works.

Can anyone give situations where yaw'ing is advised?  Not just in bombers, but all aircraft.

Bonus: XP-44 only has pew pew little machine guns?  It feels way underpowered for a multirole.  My goal is to get each line to T7 and so far I have, but I looked all the way up the XP-44 line and they ALL have pew pew little machine guns -- no cannons.

Is that line worth going up?  If I want pew pew machine guns I have fighters for that.  I don't want pew pew machine guns in a multirole.

DOUBLE BONUS:  The XP-44 gets bombs, while the other american multi-role line gets rockets.  Do you guys ever use the rockets for attacking ground targets?  I find myself only using them to hit GA/bombers -- am I missing out?

Thanks all

Yawing keeps your wings level and turns you slowly to right or left.  It can be helpful lining up targets for bombers.  

and it’s a beast, use it to clear aa guns for the GaA planes.  Works great.  Dive in, make one circuit at you kill just the again, then boost away to get out of the circle, leaves it clear for the GaA planes and self defense aircraft won’t typically fallow you out of the circle.  

Rockets are for ground target, hitting a plane is luck at best.  

Edited by comtedumas, 23 January 2018 - 01:36 AM.

Dell Inspiron 5675 Ryzen 1700X

32 GB Ram

500Gb Samsung Evo 960 game drive

Crucial MX500 250GB 3D NAND SATA M.2 Type 2280SS Internal SSD - CT250MX500SSD4

AMD RX 580 8GB video card.  

SpiritFoxMY #11 Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:46 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5638 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostMercsn, on 23 January 2018 - 12:18 AM, said:

Utilizing yaw and roll keybinds together in M+Kb control scheme can result in some evasive rolls, but I still find a hard turn and transitions between horizontal and vertical planes slightly better at beating incoming aim-assist boosted fire. YMMW, feel free to play around with mashing roll and yaw to see if you can find a useful key combo.

There's another thread where someone describes a "snap roll" and you can "kind of" do this manuever using yaw + roll keybinds along with mouse pitch input, but it is, in my experience, inconsistent and fairly useless vs an enemy who isn't right on your tail. If he's a ways back, he'll just drag is mouse down and keep hitting you as you lose altitude and roll. And, with aim-assist, his bullets just have to get "close enough" to do damage to you.

I find snap rolls are useful against boomers as they are usually going too fast to stay on you. As soon as the bullets start whizzing past, do a quick split-s to reverse your direction and get under his boom. Saved my bacon many times. Against a turner... not so much. I use yaw to change the axis of my turn if I know my plane climbs better than it turns in a fight but that one requires just a bit too much familiarity with all your potential TnB opponents to be of anything more than a limited use

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Desmios #12 Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:32 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1251 battles
thanks for the replies guys! I am going to bind yaw and try it out and I will continue with the xp-44 line!

4winds04 #13 Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:17 PM

Master Sergeant

• 5250 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

I use a joystick so my yaw input is as easy as a stick twist.  It seems to have been explained well enough in above posts "what" it is.  The how to use it can vary greatly.  I like to use it w/ heavies to skid across the sky, keeping a target in my sites as they try to sail by.  In my GAs I use it to scour ground targets form side to side.  That tactic works well for rocket fuselages against something like AA gun emplacements w a wide target area. and yes, a flat turn w flaps is like locking up the brakes on any plane type!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users