Flying the Stosser is fun, but T2 humans are derp.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

CorvusCorvax #1 Posted 19 January 2018 - 03:21 PM

Major

• 4893 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

One of the codes floating around was for a T5 Spit and a T2 FW56 Stosser.

I like the way the Stosser flies, and it can lay guns on target for a long time before overheat.  Which is a good thing, because those guns aren't shooting anything down in a hurry.  Three quick battles, three defeats.  But wait, I'm the number one guy each time?  What the heck?  Oh.  My human team mates can't kill anything, and they won't go to the high-value targets.  I did get into a nice turn fight with a buffed AR68, and it came down to use of the vertical.  In a T2, you don't have much energy to play with, so vertical fights usually favor who can manage boost and gravity the best.  Hey, that engine tuning buff comes in handy, even at the low tiers.

The Stosser is fun, and I need to play it more.  In mix T1 and T2 battles, I still favor the I-15 and I-5, because they have a LOT of guns, and can put the hurt on anything in a big hurry.  WHich they need to, because they die *so* fast if you lose track of a human opponent...

What I don't need to play more is humans who run off to furball in the middle of the sky.  Or at least if you're going to do that, at least shoot some planes down, right?

LMG #2 Posted 19 January 2018 - 03:36 PM

First Lieutenant

• 2436 battles
Well, it IS tier 2 we're talking about. Chances are most folks there are brand new players that are trying to understand the game
This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

StoptheViolins #3 Posted 19 January 2018 - 04:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2182 battles

View PostLMG, on 19 January 2018 - 10:36 AM, said:

Well, it IS tier 2 we're talking about. Chances are most folks there are brand new players that are trying to understand the game

Everyone knows the best seal clubbing at T2 do be had is by the i-5 ShKAS...

Anyways the in-game plane section has a "club" section for the Stosser so you might want to check there - they might have organized flights.

CorvusCorvax #4 Posted 19 January 2018 - 04:12 PM

Major

• 4893 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostStoptheViolins, on 19 January 2018 - 04:04 PM, said:

I like that one.  If you find one flying around, hope that you can get on its tail and shoot it down.  being on the receiving end is usually a very seriously poor choice.  :)

MagusGerhardt #5 Posted 19 January 2018 - 04:30 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 856 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostStoptheViolins, on 19 January 2018 - 09:04 AM, said:

Anyways the in-game plane section has a "club" section for the Stosser so you might want to check there - they might have organized flights.

Highly doubtful.  I founded that group and it hasn't been active since....six months after the game's release?

There are two or three of that old group that still play though, including me.  Put in a post in the old thread, and maybe we can get some organized T2 play going!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

NorthernPorter #6 Posted 19 January 2018 - 04:54 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha Test Veteran
  • 1792 battles

I think most T2 humans are new players.

I had the Stosser but have sold of it for a hanger slot. I try to stay away from tiers 1, 2, & 3 because I don't want to be a factor discouraging new players from coming up into mid to higher tiers. I'm happy sticking around mid tier, there is plenty diversity in planes to choose from for me. Don't have any high tiers yet but from what I've read, there aren't many players up there.

MagusGerhardt #7 Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:36 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 856 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostNorthernPorter, on 19 January 2018 - 09:54 AM, said:

I had the Stosser but have sold of it for a hanger slot. I try to stay away from tiers 1, 2, & 3 because I don't want to be a factor discouraging new players from coming up into mid to higher tiers. I'm happy sticking around mid tier, there is plenty diversity in planes to choose from for me. Don't have any high tiers yet but from what I've read, there aren't many players up there.

So, you just forsake the low tier segments of your "daily" missions?

I play low tier because WG encourages/forces it, not to stat pad.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

NorthernPorter #8 Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:43 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha Test Veteran
  • 1792 battles

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 19 January 2018 - 12:36 PM, said:

So, you just forsake the low tier segments of your "daily" missions?

I play low tier because WG encourages/forces it, not to stat pad.

Ha... yeah I guess so. Didn't really think of it like that because I hardly pay attention to the daily missions anyways. I guess maybe I'll dip into the T3 pool for that purpose alone, but I can't fully complete them till I get a high tier anyways. Do you really find the daily missions to be much of a benefit?

Danger_Biskit #9 Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:09 PM

Master Sergeant

• 1979 battles

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 19 January 2018 - 04:30 PM, said:

Highly doubtful.  I founded that group and it hasn't been active since....six months after the game's release?

There are two or three of that old group that still play though, including me.  Put in a post in the old thread, and maybe we can get some organized T2 play going!

I'll throw my hat in the ring. I have one of those it might be fun to flight with.

MagusGerhardt #10 Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:16 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 856 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostNorthernPorter, on 19 January 2018 - 10:43 AM, said:

Ha... yeah I guess so. Didn't really think of it like that because I hardly pay attention to the daily missions anyways. I guess maybe I'll dip into the T3 pool for that purpose alone, but I can't fully complete them till I get a high tier anyways. Do you really find the daily missions to be much of a benefit?

They're only a benefit if you don't want to pay 50 gold each for tokens.  After the single token for the first Heroic medal of each type per day, the "daily" missions (which are anything but daily) are the only way to store up a sizeable amount of tokens before the next event that requires them comes along.

Pogo68 #11 Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:48 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1649 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

There are a couple of tier 2's that I fly because

A. I like them.

The Spad and I-15 ShKAS (Woodstock!!!, Where's my silk scarf!!???)

B. fast way to complete the Low end missions.

If I need kills, I'll fly the tier 2, it's faster

If I need combat pts, then I'll fly the tier 4 Bf-110b.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

Captain_Rownd #12 Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 3718 battles

I don't think I've tried this one yet, but I do enjoy the free XP-31.  In all of these WG games I try to play all the Tiers equally, when I'm done grinding the first win daily bonus XP. 

Favorites:

SPAD S.510:: MiG-3 :: I-250 :: Ju 88 P :: He 100 D-1 :: Caudron C.714 :: Me 329 :: MiG-9

Postal_Monkey #13 Posted 20 January 2018 - 02:19 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5609 battles
  • [FK] FK
I absolutely adore the P-23, it is the only tier II I have any significant amount of battles in. It isn't the best at anything but it is so good at everything.

Sierra1968 #14 Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:17 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 350 battles
  • [D-INC] D-INC

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 19 January 2018 - 11:30 AM, said:

I came back to the game recently, so I'm down for some Stosser flights, or in my new AR-67 I got in a Christmas box!

trikke #15 Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:16 PM

Captain

• 4862 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostNorthernPorter, on 19 January 2018 - 11:54 AM, said:

I had the Stosser but have sold of it for a hanger slot. I try to stay away from tiers 1, 2, & 3 because I don't want to be a factor discouraging new players from coming up into mid to higher tiers. 

absolutely this^^
Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore       

LostInFog #16 Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:46 PM

Senior Airman

• 1655 battles
I kind of wish there was an option for separate matchmaking for tiers 1-3 for players with a bit of game experience. I don't like playing those tiers anymore now because I don't want to discourage new players either. Maybe after one or two hundred games you could fly in a "veteran" matchmaking and maybe the bots could be smarter too. 

Captain_Rownd #17 Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 3718 battles

I can't imagine how I'd "discourage" new players by flying with them.  The low Tiers are always going to have a mix of players, and anybody who prefers biplane action to get their Red Baron fantasy kick is going to be in the lowest Tiers.  I'm probably not any better in biplanes now than I was 10 games into WoWp, and I can't imagine it being anything but fun. 

I used to love playing pure Tier 1 gunboats in Warships until they ruined Tier 1, and Tier 1-2 Tanks in the Battle Bowl is always a hoot.  Tier 3 is still the best fast brawling fun in both of those games. 

Edited by Captain_Rownd, 22 January 2018 - 05:05 PM.

Favorites:

SPAD S.510:: MiG-3 :: I-250 :: Ju 88 P :: He 100 D-1 :: Caudron C.714 :: Me 329 :: MiG-9

CorvusCorvax #18 Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:17 PM

Major

• 4893 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostSierra1968, on 21 January 2018 - 01:17 AM, said:

I came back to the game recently, so I'm down for some Stosser flights, or in my new AR-67 I got in a Christmas box!

I'd like to figure out how to make this happen.  OK, let's don't club the newbies, but at the same time, don't make it too easy for them.  Have fun, but don't be a jerk about it?  "Fly casual"?

LMG #19 Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:38 PM

First Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 22 January 2018 - 12:04 PM, said:

I can't imagine how I'd "discourage" new players by flying with them.  The low Tiers are always going to have a mix of players, and anybody who prefers biplane action to get their Red Baron fantasy kick is going to be in the lowest Tiers.  I'm probably not any better in biplanes now than I was 10 games into WoWp, and I can't imagine it being anything but fun. 

I used to love playing pure Tier 1 gunboats in Warships until they ruined Tier 1, and Tier 1-2 Tanks in the Battle Bowl is always a hoot.  Tier 3 is still the best fast brawling fun in both of those games. 

You kinda discourage new players by constantly shooting them down while they're barely trying not to crash on a head-on fight, which can create frustration. Trial by fire doesn't really work all the time; all you end up is with a bunch of burnt people. Problem is that "shooting down planes" is half of the game, which is why some opt to simply not fly on those tiers and instead meet the newer players later down the line when they have a better grip of the game. Me included; whenever I do grab my Tsh-2 for "reargunner kill" dailies I avoid firing on players unless they start the fight

Edited by LMG, 22 January 2018 - 05:38 PM.

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

pyantoryng #20 Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:44 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2675 battles

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 22 January 2018 - 05:04 PM, said:

Things work differently in Planes compared to Tanks or Ships.

You can literally get vaporized in tier 1 and 2 without knowing what is going on...the closest Ship metaphor I can think of is getting constantly citadel'd by a St. Louis's broadside. There is literally no form of defenses outside of situational awareness and quick reflexes (the latter of which neither of the other titles require) that will protect you from getting vaporized by a concentrated machine gun bullet stream.

WG nerfed tier 1-3 by not allowing epic achievements to be scored from them (so much for Gabreski farming of old times) to discourage old timers to go try elsewhere for their token from achievements...although some daily mission tasks still call the veterans back down to those tiers...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users