Guess I'm a better bomber pilot

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

IronWolfV #1 Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:28 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 278 battles

Yes I went against conventional wisdom and got the A26. She's fun. Good turrets, lot of bombs to drop. And no yanking and banking which I have yet to get the best handle on. Doing ok with my spitfire but I also need to stop charging in where angels fear to tread.

But in my other thread I got told to look for mismatches and look for sectors to capture. Which is what I did and took 3 sectors almost alone. Granted I am hiding over 9000 feet(yes I use imperial instead of metric) but been flipping bases and try I g to bomb where my fighters are calling for.

All and all, I do like my A-26. Hope to get a B25 Mitchell at some point.

This isn't dueling pistols at dawn. This is war. You sneak up behind your enemy and you bash him over the skull. I know this, so does Scar. That's why I'm gonna kill him.

-Starbuck, Battlestar Galactica

Blucraft #2 Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:56 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1651 battles

I bought the three bomber bundle during the Christmas sale.  It was well worth the $$ :great:.

-Blu

Mercsn #3 Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:55 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2616 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

CLICKER!!

:ohmy:

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

IronWolfV #4 Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:00 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 278 battles

View PostMercsn, on 18 January 2018 - 04:55 PM, said:

CLICKER!!

:ohmy:

yeah and?

This isn't dueling pistols at dawn. This is war. You sneak up behind your enemy and you bash him over the skull. I know this, so does Scar. That's why I'm gonna kill him.

I_QQ_4_U #5 Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:40 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2111 battles
I like the B-26 since it can still be effective even if there's nothing left to bomb and it does real well at shooting down other bombers.

wotsalthor #6 Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:10 AM

Senior Airman

• 936 battles

View PostI_QQ_4_U, on 19 January 2018 - 05:40 AM, said:

I like the B-26 since it can still be effective even if there's nothing left to bomb and it does real well at shooting down other bombers.

This.

Although the RB-17 is good for this too... It's not as effective for anti-air but it's fun to troll heavies by zooming past them and then opening up with that tail gunner.

Mercsn #7 Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:29 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2616 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostIronWolfV, on 18 January 2018 - 08:00 PM, said:

yeah and?

Just teasing.  I enjoy the bombers.  I'm a strong advocate for misusing both the A26 and RB-17 as high speed, low altitude attack craft.  I find, I'm having more fun when I'm NOT playing the game the way WG intends...mainly because they're bad at playing it and don't want feedback from NA players.  I figure, if I'm doing it "wrong", I'm doing it right.

Mercsn #8 Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:37 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2616 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View Postwotsalthor, on 19 January 2018 - 12:10 AM, said:

This.

Although the RB-17 is good for this too... It's not as effective for anti-air but it's fun to troll heavies by zooming past them and then opening up with that tail gunner.

I won a match by dogfighting a Pancake in my RB-17 after my bomb reload bugged out after the first drop.  I spent the match assisting with both nose gun and tailgun.  Near the end, I managed to pull a veteran F5U away from a zone it was set to capture to save the win after the rest of my team was dead.

The poor "player bot" didn't know what to do.  If it tried it's usual ai routine for HF (extend, gain range and U-turn), I would shoot it with the nose gun, if it got behind me, I would shoot it with the tailgun.  All the while, I was pulling it away from the sector it wanted with the massive boost reserve. He finally turned back to the sector so I shot him with the nose gun again to keep him off the sitting ducks defense bots.  A surprised human teammate (I think there were actually 3 or 4 humans each side that game, rare for tier 8!), actually messaged me that it was fun watching me dogfight with the RB-17 and that he thought the match was going to be a loss (the other team had more living fighters, all bots, and I was the "last hope").  Good times.

Oh, and for you mouse + KB guys (I'm one) set keybinds for yaw.  Bombers LOVE yaw turns.

LMG #9 Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:50 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2436 battles
Ah, nothing like shoo'ing away Heavies on something even heavier
This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

Zergling #10 Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:11 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 710 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostIronWolfV, on 19 January 2018 - 02:28 AM, said:

Granted I am hiding over 9000 feet(yes I use imperial instead of metric) but been flipping bases and try I g to bomb where my fighters are calling for.

The A-26 does better at half that altitude. While it will be intercepted much more easily, the A-26 has excellent defensive guns and lots of hit points, so if you pick which caps to go after with care, it can be considerably more effective bombing at medium altitude.

View Postwotsalthor, on 19 January 2018 - 04:10 PM, said:

Don't underestimate the power of the RB-17's tail gun; it has a stock range of 1000 meters and quite respectable DPS output.

Edited by Zergling, 19 January 2018 - 11:13 AM.

legoboy0401 #11 Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:17 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1778 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

View PostIronWolfV, on 18 January 2018 - 08:28 AM, said:

Yes I went against conventional wisdom and got the A26. She's fun. Good turrets, lot of bombs to drop. And no yanking and banking which I have yet to get the best handle on. Doing ok with my spitfire but I also need to stop charging in where angels fear to tread.

But in my other thread I got told to look for mismatches and look for sectors to capture. Which is what I did and took 3 sectors almost alone. Granted I am hiding over 9000 feet(yes I use imperial instead of metric) but been flipping bases and try I g to bomb where my fighters are calling for.

All and all, I do like my A-26. Hope to get a B25 Mitchell at some point.

Yep, I'm all for more bombers. But aside from the American Bombers(B-17D and G aren't far from testing, I don't know about the rest), I'm really looking forward to the Russian Bombers. I can't wait for more "Big Bears" with awesome defensive weaponry.

Right now, the German Bomber's defensive armament just doesn't cut it when compared to their survivability. Heck, a single lightly armed Light Fighter like a Me-209 V4 or MiG-3 can easily slash off half or more of a Ju-88's health before the Ju-88's guns finally get them low enough on health that they have to break off the attack.

Heavy Fighters? No. They almost NEVER have to break off the attack on a German Bomber. However, RB-17s and their 23 mm cannon-armed tail turret will give even the best of Heavy Fighter players pause, especially if the RB-17 has boosted the abilities of said 23 mm cannon armed tail turret.

Taking all that into account, I think I am going to like the Russian "Big Bears" very much.

I do however, have a question, and a concern. My question is simply this: does anyone have an idea of possibly where the Russian bombers will link into the existing Russian tech tree?

My concern, however, is a bit more complex. Right now, no Bomber with more than 1 defensive Turret can fire more than 1 at a time. This is a problem. It was probably designed like that to keep multiple gun turrets from being an overpowered mess. Well, there is an issue here.

When Player-Controlled Heavy Bombers(currently they are only NPC) come, this mechanism will severely shortchange them. Why? Heavy Bombers are, only naturally, a much bigger and easier target than the current Light and Medium Bombers that we have in game. In the same manner, it's only natural that they will attract more attention to them than the current bombers, which will lead to them being attacked from multiple sides.

In something like "that other game" this is no problem. They all fire independently and can all be player controlled at once.

Here in WoWP, though, this is going to be a problem, because currently, when a German Bomber(not the largest thing ever) is attacked from multiple sides, it's guaranteed dead, as the other gun which could potentially have fired at the other plane, could not because WG didn't allow it to. Only one turret on a multi-turreted plane can fire at one time.

Why? It's not really that overpowered to have multiple defensive turrets firing all at once, I mean, only one at a time is getting the player's massive DPS buff that comes from manually firing it.

It's not a huge issue right now, as the German Medium Bombers getting intercepted by multiple aircraft is pretty rare, in my experience. But trust me, it's going to EXPLODE if WG doesn't allow Heavy Bombers the right to fire multiple defensive guns at once.

Edited by legoboy0401, 20 January 2018 - 01:24 AM.

An average player with an average goal: greatness, someday. Today, mediocrity will have to suffice. But no matter, I will always play to the best of my ability, and I will always strive to make the best of my ability just that little bit stronger and better.

#Failureisalwaysanoption

#Givingupneveris

trikke #12 Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:17 PM

Captain

• 3633 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostMercsn, on 19 January 2018 - 01:29 AM, said:

Just teasing.  I enjoy the bombers.  I'm a strong advocate for misusing both the A26 and RB-17 as high speed, low altitude attack craft.  I find, I'm having more fun when I'm NOT playing the game the way WG intends...mainly because they're bad at playing it and don't want feedback from NA players.  I figure, if I'm doing it "wrong", I'm doing it right.

he is really just teasing...   though i know that he hates even hearing the word 'arty'

i've never considered flying the RB low until today, when a human RB pilot down low slashed my xp-58 to ribbons...    twice in the same battle

slash me once, shame on me      slash me twice, shame on me

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

ExploratorOne #13 Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:20 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1679 battles
  • [LOU1] LOU1

The "A" in A-26B stands for "Attack".  They were designed for low-level precision bombing.  I routinely attack at between 50m and 200m.  This plane is my main credit maker right now.  And, with the quick bomb reload a bomber gets, it can lock down a point and transition to a new point using the long boost with bombs loaded.  You can even make several passes on the same point by timing your turn-around.

https://www.youtube....h?v=WB25bbhp2s0

Edited by ExploratorOne, 19 January 2018 - 09:24 PM.

IronWolfV #14 Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:50 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 278 battles

View Postlegoboy0401, on 19 January 2018 - 12:17 PM, said:

Yep, I'm all for more bombers. But aside from the American Bombers(B-17D and G aren't far from testing, I don't know about the rest), I'm really looking forward to the Russian Bombers. I can't wait for more "Big Bears" with awesome defensive weaponry.

Right now, the German Bomber's defensive armament just doesn't cut it when compared to their survivability. Heck, a single lightly armed Light Fighter like a Me-209 V4 or MiG-3 can easily slash off half or more of a Ju-88's health before the Ju-88's guns finally get them low enough on health that they have to break off the attack.

Heavy Fighters? No. They almost NEVER have to break off the attack on a German Bomber. However, RB-17s and their 23 mm cannon-armed tail turret will give even the best of Heavy Fighter players pause, especially if the RB-17 has boosted the abilities of said 23 mm cannon armed tail turret.

Taking all that into account, I think I am going to like the Russian "Big Bears" very much.

I do however, have a question, and a concern. My question is simply this: does anyone have an idea of possibly where the Russian bombers will link into the existing Russian tech tree?

My concern, however, is a bit more complex. Right now, no Bomber with more than 1 defensive Turret can fire more than 1 at a time. This is a problem. It was probably designed like that to keep multiple gun turrets from being an overpowered mess. Well, there is an issue here.

When Player-Controlled Heavy Bombers(currently they are only NPC) come, this mechanism will severely shortchange them. Why? Heavy Bombers are, only naturally, a much bigger and easier target than the current Light and Medium Bombers that we have in game. In the same manner, it's only natural that they will attract more attention to them than the current bombers, which will lead to them being attacked from multiple sides.

In something like "that other game" this is no problem. They all fire independently and can all be player controlled at once.

Here in WoWP, though, this is going to be a problem, because currently, when a German Bomber(not the largest thing ever) is attacked from multiple sides, it's guaranteed dead, as the other gun which could potentially have fired at the other plane, could not because WG didn't allow it to. Only one turret on a multi-turreted plane can fire at one time.

Why? It's not really that overpowered to have multiple defensive turrets firing all at once, I mean, only one at a time is getting the player's massive DPS buff that comes from manually firing it.

It's not a huge issue right now, as the German Medium Bombers getting intercepted by multiple aircraft is pretty rare, in my experience. But trust me, it's going to EXPLODE if WG doesn't allow Heavy Bombers the right to fire multiple defensive guns at once.

Also, on a side note, has anyone noticed the cheeky way WG got around having to introduce multiple turrets with the RB-17 and Blenheim IV(e)?

They took the nose gun from the RB-17 and Blenheim Mark IV (e), and put them in their left wing, when really, each nose gun belonged to the Navigator in his compartment forward of the pilot in each plane.

I noticed this because knowing a lot about planes, I realized that no aircraft designer in his right mind would put a gun in the left wing without putting one in the right. It has to do with aircraft balance. The weight has to be equal on both sides, otherwise the performance of the aircraft will suffer immensely. 

Just another reminder WG sometimes fabricates things and that this is an arcade game.

honestly I think 4 engine heavy bombers are a bit too much for this game. Now two engine medium bombers or dive bombers (would love a Dauntless) is a better bet. I'd love to see the B25 or some of the other twin engine mediums show up.

Unraveler #15 Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:16 AM

Master Sergeant

• 967 battles
I'm looking forward to the B-36 (Tier 8 Premium?). 700 x 50kg bomb loadout would be nice, maybe drop in sticks of 100 at a time.

comtedumas #16 Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:25 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 6887 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostUnraveler, on 19 January 2018 - 07:16 PM, said:

I'm looking forward to the B-36 (Tier 8 Premium?). 700 x 50kg bomb loadout would be nice, maybe drop in sticks of 100 at a time.

tier 10 B-58 hustler would be awe inspiring.  

Dell Inspiron 5675 Ryzen 1700X

32 GB Ram

500Gb Samsung Evo 960 game drive

Crucial MX500 250GB 3D NAND SATA M.2 Type 2280SS Internal SSD - CT250MX500SSD4

AMD RX 580 8GB video card.  

Unraveler #17 Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:48 AM

Master Sergeant

• 967 battles
Make that one Tier 9, so then we can have B-1B for Tier 10.

IronWolfV #18 Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:16 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 278 battles

View PostExploratorOne, on 19 January 2018 - 03:20 PM, said:

The "A" in A-26B stands for "Attack".  They were designed for low-level precision bombing.  I routinely attack at between 50m and 200m.  This plane is my main credit maker right now.  And, with the quick bomb reload a bomber gets, it can lock down a point and transition to a new point using the long boost with bombs loaded.  You can even make several passes on the same point by timing your turn-around.

https://www.youtube....h?v=WB25bbhp2s0

hey if you like pulling the sticks out of your engines, knock yourself out. I fly now at mid altitude if I'm not being attacked too much, or up high if it's really contested.

Still getting good results.

I_QQ_4_U #19 Posted 20 January 2018 - 05:43 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2111 battles
 A Lanc with a Grand Slam would make aiming less bothersome.

IronWolfV #20 Posted 20 January 2018 - 05:56 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 278 battles

View PostI_QQ_4_U, on 20 January 2018 - 11:43 AM, said:

A Lanc with a Grand Slam would make aiming less bothersome.

Sweet Jesus man. What next? Enola Gay with Little Boy?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users