What do I have to do to win, eat a banana?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

vcharng #41 Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:07 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 3900 battles

View PostHoIo, on 18 January 2018 - 05:53 AM, said:

A debatable topic since I respect how powerful GAs are... But that's another discussion.

I get what you're saying, but look at it from my perspective. If everyone else is in a flight, I feel like me showing up with one will make for better combat. Plus, it's 2v2 now, instead of 1v1 (or 2v1)

If we do have so many players on T10 to say "everyone", in flight or not, then you should be getting 2v2 rooms with one side platooned and the other side not, and we shouldn't have a problem at all.

Not what I saw from my recent experience in 1102 though. The MM struggles to even find another single T10 player for me (it often gives me against a single T9 player, one time it gave me against a T9 flight)

And the 1v2 thing makes a vicious cycle, it stops people from playing at high tier, and so the MM problem can't be solved.

HoIo #42 Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:11 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1427 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View Postvcharng, on 17 January 2018 - 11:07 PM, said:

If we do have so many players on T10 to say "everyone", in flight or not, then you should be getting 2v2 rooms with one side platooned and the other side not, and we shouldn't have a problem at all.

Not what I saw from my recent experience in 1102 though. The MM struggles to even find another single T10 player for me (it often gives me against a single T9 player, one time it gave me against a T9 flight)

And the 1v2 thing makes a vicious cycle, it stops people from playing at high tier, and so the MM problem can't be solved.

You're right sadly... :(

-Gets 8th in average experience per game-

"Hey guys, I'm in the top 10 :trollface:"

"What about your win rate"

"Oh we don't need to talk about that do we...? Right?"

Mercsn #43 Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:15 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2616 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

Getting back on track as to the OP wanting to know how to scrape out a win.

First, know what each objective zone is and what benefits it might offer you and your team.

Second, and Dru spelled this out. Do not attack where the enemy is.  In a decent fighter, you can solo flip a garrison or airfield just by killing defense bots.  If you can't solo flip a zone, you really should either drop down to a lower tier (where the action is slower and flying and shooting is easier -and where the bots have lower ai skill setting) or use training room and adjust the ai down so you have easier targets to practice fighting against, and then turn it up to medium or veteran to better test your skills for what you might get in an actual match.

By attacking where the enemy isn't, you will pull enemy bots out.  When they respawn they will fly to their target priority, LMG touched on this a little and there's a youtube where a guy breaks down and explains the ai "player bot" priority.  (the vid is by shrike gaming, most of his stuff is inaccurate, out of date, or just wrong, but the vid on the bots is decent, if a bit lengthy.

You will also be capturing zones and getting your team started earning more points.  Even if you can't flip a zone in one go (practice in lower tiers), fly out of the zone before you die, respawn and go back to finish it off. 

Also, unlike tanks (I haven't played ships) this game plays virtually the same from tier 1 to tier 10 (although I only have personal experience to tier 8).  The map strat is relatively the same with factories in play by tier 4.  This game gives more to deal with than tanks in that you have pve elements to contend with, do you attack the bombers and save your zone or try to push a red zone and possibly lose your base to the bomber flight? (for example).   Again, bombers are in play by tier 3 iirc.   If you like flying at tier 5 to learn, there's nothing wrong with that, you'll just have to learn with the game moving at a faster pace, leaving less time to look at the map and radar to keep aware of the overall map situation as well as your local airspace and what enemies might be around you.

Here's a reply I gave to another new player with some links to other similar posts aggregated. 

Also, since you know you play too aggressively and start earning yourself respawn timer "bonus" (you add time to the respawn each time you die), start getting in the habit of following your teammates (whether humans or "player bot").  Let them go first to draw enemy's attention and then you can go in and shoot the enemies off your teammates' tails.

5k combat points is a good score if the match was a very short superiority win or you spent the entire game only capturing outlying uncontested (by players or "player bots") zones and therefore had relatively little combat.  With that said, combat points is based on damage done.  Plenty of people farm combat points in the middle zone furrball and then complain about a 15k or 20k combat point loss.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

Mercsn #44 Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:18 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2616 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View Postvcharng, on 18 January 2018 - 12:07 AM, said:

There is insufficient player population for higher tiers, combined with higher credit operating costs, combined with more ace level bots that are not balanced between the teams per plane type.  It's why WG changed the XP economy to funnel players into tiers 4-6 and left the credit economy that's punishing to a lot of players above tier 6.   I wish they'd left the display in so you could see how many players are queued at what tier so you'd know when's a good time to fly what tier for the kind of players per match desired.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

vcharng #45 Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:25 AM

• 3900 battles

View PostMercsn, on 18 January 2018 - 06:18 AM, said:

I wish they'd left the display in so you could see how many players are queued at what tier so you'd know when's a good time to fly what tier for the kind of players per match desired.

Agreed.

I think WG may have forgotten to do that "WG style economy" in WOWP after 2.0. They may have reduced the repair cost to comply with multiple deaths being made possible, but they forgot the income part, as now you can kill a lot more in one game. As a result, I found my 1102 to earn faster than anything else, as long as they don't use universal rounds.

SpiritFoxMY #46 Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:35 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4924 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostMercsn, on 18 January 2018 - 06:18 AM, said:

There is insufficient player population for higher tiers, combined with higher credit operating costs, combined with more ace level bots that are not balanced between the teams per plane type.  It's why WG changed the XP economy to funnel players into tiers 4-6 and left the credit economy that's punishing to a lot of players above tier 6.   I wish they'd left the display in so you could see how many players are queued at what tier so you'd know when's a good time to fly what tier for the kind of players per match desired.

... huh. I learned something new today. I'd like to keep practicing with my tier 7s and 8s but looks like I'll have to farm more at 5 - 6

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

WolfWiz #47 Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:04 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 8442 battles
Welcome to the lost world of 2.0 WG's attempt to save the Noob has failed... Once again clans are starting to dominate and are back to seal clubbing 101. As much as I can't stand Wg's ethics and changing a game after years and tons of time and money to only fly 3 or 4 out of the 100 planes I used to fly. The paying old timers would have appreciated a rebuy incentive to be able to grab the few planes that are now standouts. Still missing the flight characteristics. so to do our part we murder as many noobs as possible... as a middle finger salute to WG and its now crashathon client...

WG says "We give you pretty scenery during the holidays... Quit complaining the game is junk and full of Bugs its only been 2 years...."

WolfWiz #48 Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:06 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 8442 battles
Stupid they only show the last 800 battles what happened to the other 15,000 

Edited by WolfWiz, 18 January 2018 - 10:06 AM.

WG says "We give you pretty scenery during the holidays... Quit complaining the game is junk and full of Bugs its only been 2 years...."

pyantoryng #49 Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:40 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2177 battles

A winning match *can* look something like this. It's not about score at all...

Spoiler

You can print cash by running standard ammo and no consumables (or buy them in bulk during sales)...preferably in a premium plane, many of which are being given away as of late.

Understand how capture works so you can make sense of what is going on around you and act accordingly. Free up those bots the best you can to get them to battle...the rest is your own ability of using your plane in combat.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

vcharng #50 Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:51 AM

• 3900 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 18 January 2018 - 11:40 AM, said:

A winning match *can* look something like this. It's not about score at all...

Spoiler

You can print cash by running standard ammo and no consumables (or buy them in bulk during sales)...preferably in a premium plane, many of which are being given away as of late.

Understand how capture works so you can make sense of what is going on around you and act accordingly. Free up those bots the best you can to get them to battle...the rest is your own ability of using your plane in combat.

I think this is a case of "losing players trying so hard to save the day but failed" versus "winning players won at ease and got few points"

I got this especially often in my Me 265: it often ends the game too soon, before it can get some real score, by capping a few crucial sectors, and having them left unbothered.

SalTuskin #51 Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:53 PM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 1143 battles

you have 34 games played you dont have game knowledge after maybe 400 you will but u need to start at t1 and work your way up not t5 premuims is where all the good players play

start over with t1 and go up the british fighter line as u seem to like the spitfire then when you get to t5 the right way you will have a better understanding of the game

i mean 34 games is really nothing in the scope of things and with the premium planes none are really outstanding compared to the same lv plane the t5 spit is so much better than the 11a

also you pilots dont have the experience or the skills that players have in a real t5 they might even have a 3 skill pilot by then and all you have is a stock pilot and if you dont have equip on each of your premium you are at  a disadvantage again so basically you have less pilot skills, less equip you are almost down 50% against an experienced pilot in t5 who started at t1 and worked up to t5 and can afford to use universal ammo and consumables

its not all about the planes but the pilot skills and the equip you have on your plane 

Edited by SalTuskin, 18 January 2018 - 01:19 PM.

IronWolfV #52 Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:09 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 278 battles

Why does everyone keep treating me like I'm fresh out the gate? Did do alpha testing, first wave. Granted the game is quite different from that(thank god) but I have more than 35 matches under my belt. Just not going to show how much I played before hand.

So stop telling me to go back to tier 1. Not happening. Tier 1-3 in any WG title is so mind numbingly boring I can't stand it. I mean I might go back and play tier 4 some, but tier 1, yeah forget it. May as well eat a bullet now.

This isn't dueling pistols at dawn. This is war. You sneak up behind your enemy and you bash him over the skull. I know this, so does Scar. That's why I'm gonna kill him.

-Starbuck, Battlestar Galactica

trikke #53 Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:13 PM

Captain

• 3636 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

i would vote yes for new folks flighting with vets...  or anyone that's available, really  

headsets are required if you're going to be asking questions and/or sharing pro tips with others, because too much typing can get you killed 

oh, and make sure that you set up a push-to-talk button, or you'll soon not be able to find anyone to flight up with for a second time

ask me how i know...

if flights are not possible for you, the forum is a great resource for winning strategies 

search for mercsn's posts...  he'll school ya!

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

SalTuskin #54 Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:35 PM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 1143 battles

as i said its not about the tiers its about getting the experience on the pilots and gettting the equipment on the planes, continue to play t5 if u want it will just take you longer to get on even footing and the premium planes u will have to spend gold to convert to go up the lines and to change pilots to other planes if you dont play from t1, its your money but after about t6 fxp ing though planes gets very costly in gold and also credits just my 2 cents

they experience on the pilots make a huge difference 

i play from about 5pm cst to about 9pm cst if you want to group up to make it easier on you also have teamspeak and discord available to help if you want

Edited by SalTuskin, 18 January 2018 - 02:38 PM.

trikke #55 Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:40 PM

Captain

• 3636 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostIronWolfV, on 18 January 2018 - 09:09 AM, said:

Why does everyone keep treating me like I'm fresh out the gate? Did do alpha testing, first wave. Granted the game is quite different from that(thank god) but I have more than 35 matches under my belt. Just not going to show how much I played before hand.

So stop telling me to go back to tier 1. Not happening. Tier 1-3 in any WG title is so mind numbingly boring I can't stand it. I mean I might go back and play tier 4 some, but tier 1, yeah forget it. May as well eat a bullet now.

uh...   
Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

StoptheViolins #56 Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2181 battles

View PostHoIo, on 17 January 2018 - 11:43 PM, said:

The Me P.1101.

You're welcome for the salt I guess :teethhappy:

I'm surprised there are more people playing the Thunder jet... Unless it's specifically me we're discussing. But that'd make me 3 of the 5 things you listed... Oh dear, oh dear.

I agree, flights are relatively bad in flavor at the higher tiers. But if you can't beat them, may as well join em. That's where I'm at now anyways. Still though, can't blame me if I rake everything in the sky when I'm in my 262 HG III

Them 50's aren't the most fun guns in game right now.  I think their range is like 5m or something...

StoptheViolins #57 Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2181 battles

View PostIronWolfV, on 18 January 2018 - 09:09 AM, said:

Just fly the Polikarpov I-5 ShKAS a few dozen matches to "learn t-2" game play lol.  

SpiritFoxMY #58 Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:50 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4924 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostIronWolfV, on 18 January 2018 - 02:09 PM, said:

We don't have much to go on, laddie. My tag says "closed beta tester" too, but all I really played was a dozen or so games in CBT long, long ago when there were four nations, one heavy line, one attack line and a three tier matchmaking spread. So with your question and your stated CP score range, we assumed you were green-as-grass.

So with regards to your question: what you need to do is learn target priority, both in capping and in killing. Ref my earlier post if you want but basic priority is 1. Missile Base, 2. Factory, 3. Command Center, 4. Airbase, 5./6. Garrison/Airfield. 

Kill faster than your allies die. Your number of flights means you will be facing basic bots. They die easy. Kill fast. 

Floor CP score is 5k. Any less and you're a drag on your team. Start aiming to consistently hit 5k per match; even if you lose, at least you've learnt the skills not to lose. 

Ground targets should be left to bombers and attackers. At your level, don't bother with multiroles - you need far more experience to learn when its profitable for a multirole to hit ground targets

To gain any capture points from ground targets, you must kill ALL ground targets in a cluster. Don't kill most and leave one - you get no cap or credit if an enemy swoops in and snipes that last building.

You're flying mostly boomers. They can be difficult - not discouraging you but your learning curve with them will be steeper. Again, with a 3k - 5k CP range, you're more likely to be a drag than a help. Get that up to the 5k - 8k average.

Shoot the stupid and the weak. Don't get into turning fights. 

Check out the posts in the Newbies forum on how to Focke-Wulf. The 190 line is - again - not an easy line to fly: only a few here genuinely love that line. Others just endure them as a necessary evil to get the BATPLANE/TIE FIGHTER

And as the others have offered - squad up. They can show you how to win - or at least put up a good fight.

Edited by SpiritFoxMY, 18 January 2018 - 02:51 PM.

IronWolfV #59 Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:54 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 278 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 18 January 2018 - 08:50 AM, said:

We don't have much to go on, laddie. My tag says "closed beta tester" too, but all I really played was a dozen or so games in CBT long, long ago when there were four nations, one heavy line, one attack line and a three tier matchmaking spread. So with your question and your stated CP score range, we assumed you were green-as-grass.

So with regards to your question: what you need to do is learn target priority, both in capping and in killing. Ref my earlier post if you want but basic priority is 1. Missile Base, 2. Factory, 3. Command Center, 4. Airbase, 5./6. Garrison/Airfield. 

Kill faster than your allies die. Your number of flights means you will be facing basic bots. They die easy. Kill fast. 

Floor CP score is 5k. Any less and you're a drag on your team. Start aiming to consistently hit 5k per match; even if you lose, at least you've learnt the skills not to lose. 

Ground targets should be left to bombers and attackers. At your level, don't bother with multiroles - you need far more experience to learn when its profitable for a multirole to hit ground targets

To gain any capture points from ground targets, you must kill ALL ground targets in a cluster. Don't kill most and leave one - you get no cap or credit if an enemy swoops in and snipes that last building.

You're flying mostly boomers. They can be difficult - not discouraging you but your learning curve with them will be steeper. Again, with a 3k - 5k CP range, you're more likely to be a drag than a help. Get that up to the 5k - 8k average.

Shoot the stupid and the weak. Don't get into turning fights. 

Check out the posts in the Newbies forum on how to Focke-Wulf. The 190 line is - again - not an easy line to fly: only a few here genuinely love that line. Others just endure them as a necessary evil to get the BATPLANE/TIE FIGHTER

And as the others have offered - squad up. They can show you how to win - or at least put up a good fight.

well I am trying. I mean I'm not the best ever and still have some to learn. Buy not going to do it at tier 2.

This isn't dueling pistols at dawn. This is war. You sneak up behind your enemy and you bash him over the skull. I know this, so does Scar. That's why I'm gonna kill him.

-Starbuck, Battlestar Galactica

SpiritFoxMY #60 Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:15 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4924 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostIronWolfV, on 18 January 2018 - 02:54 PM, said:

well I am trying. I mean I'm not the best ever and still have some to learn. Buy not going to do it at tier 2.

That's fair. Just understand you picked two of the toughest nations to learn this game on (America, Germany) in my opinion anyway. Check Plane Compare on the main site: it will give you the stats for each plane so you can measure up your airplanes against those you're facing and give you an idea how to best fight each one. 

Your chosen airplane, the XP-77 appears to be a thoroughly mediocre airplane with weak guns, uninspiring ceiling, poor climb rate, horrible HP and awful speed. Its only useful trait is slightly better than average turning rate. Use that to your advantage and turn in the horizontal. A smart opponent will try to switch it into a vertical fight - resist the urge to follow. I can't say much more because - jeez, that's a really awful plane judging by the stat card. The best way to fly it will be to learn what advantages you hold over any opponent you may face (but sweet jesus, if you run into a Yak-1 he'll eat you for breakfast)

The American fighter line likes to go high and into the vertical. Guns don't require any skill to use, so that's a plus. I say use your Flying Tigers P-40 to grind credits - the plane is good enough to hold its own and the playstyle will be similar to the tech tree P-40. 

Fw190s... go check out the Newbies forum. There've been enough posts about that thing.

Good luck and see you in the skies.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users