Few basic questions

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Desmios #1 Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:48 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1215 battles

1) Do dropped bomb momentum follow that of your plane on drops in bombers?

- Did a wild swing to the left, dropped while they were on target, looked few seconds later, they all landed to the left.

2) In a bomber, do you drop right before the bomber circle 'lights up' or right when it lights up?  I feel like when I drop when it 'lights' up, I see bombs still dropping after it is out of the 'zone'.

3) Does altitude matter for bomb accuracy?

4) Why do I get 200xp for dealing 5hp to a plane and getting a killing blow but only +75 if I take out 400 of their 900 health?

5) When flying attack aircraft, why won't my bomb circle light up when I'm clearly on a target?  I can drop the bombs and get hits, but at lower altitudes especially, it stays white.

6) If a light a building on fire -- will it burn down after awhile?

7) How long after you destroy a ground target/defense plane before they respawn?

8) Does anyone on the dev team actually play the game?  Some of those missions from Albion really had me questioning this.

9) does overheating your engine cause any penalty/delay?

Edited by Desmios, 16 January 2018 - 12:50 AM.

LMG #2 Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:11 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

1) I'm sure ordnance carries some sort of momentum. I even had my IL-10 shoot rockets through my wings while coming out of a climb :amazed:

2) If your bomber drops single bombs, then you want to toss it in the middle of the ground target, or at least as close to the central position between the buildings. If you drop multiple bomblets, then you'd want to drop it slightly before that point so most of your bombs hit more buildings. If you drop the bomblets at the center, your first one will hit the middle and the rest start going towards the outside of the target, possibly missing altogether. If you want them to focus even more, slow down before you drop the bombs.

3) Yes it does. Accuracy works like a cone, so the closer you are to the ground, the less the bombs will be able to disperse. In the case of GAAs, you basically shove the bombs down the building's roof, so no need to increase their accuracy.

4) :unsure:

5) I have no idea. Sometimes it tries to. I wish it did, as I tend to miss my bombs because of perspective. It looks the the reticle is on top of the target, but in reality it's behind it. Whenever I can I drop my bombs on a small dive or fly level and move the camera around to avoid it.

6) Yes, fire damages ground targets and can kill them. There's even a badge for doing so.

7) I have no official number, but I think it's two-three minutes, give or take?

8) Last time I checked there were quite a few gameplay videos on the official World of Warplanes NA youtube channel. There tends to be some dissonance between what a developer believes works and what a player believes works. Forcing wins on missions should make people try to play as best as they can to get the win, except you don't have much control of victories on a game with 23 other players, bots or not. So you instead end up with a bunch of frustrated people trying to find a way to reliably win and finish the mission.

9) You can't boost until you let go of the button and let the engine cool down. Aside of that, I don't think there's anything :sceptic:

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

Desmios #3 Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:33 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1215 battles

View PostLMG, on 15 January 2018 - 08:11 PM, said:

1) I'm sure ordnance carries some sort of momentum. I even had my IL-10 shoot rockets through my wings while coming out of a climb :amazed:

2) If your bomber drops single bombs, then you want to toss it in the middle of the ground target, or at least as close to the central position between the buildings. If you drop multiple bomblets, then you'd want to drop it slightly before that point so most of your bombs hit more buildings. If you drop the bomblets at the center, your first one will hit the middle and the rest start going towards the outside of the target, possibly missing altogether. If you want them to focus even more, slow down before you drop the bombs.

3) Yes it does. Accuracy works like a cone, so the closer you are to the ground, the less the bombs will be able to disperse. In the case of GAAs, you basically shove the bombs down the building's roof, so no need to increase their accuracy.

4) :unsure:

5) I have no idea. Sometimes it tries to. I wish it did, as I tend to miss my bombs because of perspective. It looks the the reticle is on top of the target, but in reality it's behind it. Whenever I can I drop my bombs on a small dive or fly level and move the camera around to avoid it.

6) Yes, fire damages ground targets and can kill them. There's even a badge for doing so.

7) I have no official number, but I think it's two-three minutes, give or take?

8) Last time I checked there were quite a few gameplay videos on the official World of Warplanes NA youtube channel. There tends to be some dissonance between what a developer believes works and what a player believes works. Forcing wins on missions should make people try to play as best as they can to get the win, except you don't have much control of victories on a game with 23 other players, bots or not. So you instead end up with a bunch of frustrated people trying to find a way to reliably win and finish the mission.

9) You can't boost until you let go of the button and let the engine cool down. Aside of that, I don't think there's anything :sceptic:

thanks for taking the time to teach me, awesome post 

vcharng #4 Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:43 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 3878 battles

View PostDesmios, on 16 January 2018 - 12:48 AM, said:

2) In a bomber, do you drop right before the bomber circle 'lights up' or right when it lights up?  I feel like when I drop when it 'lights' up, I see bombs still dropping after it is out of the 'zone'.

4) Why do I get 200xp for dealing 5hp to a plane and getting a killing blow but only +75 if I take out 400 of their 900 health?

5) When flying attack aircraft, why won't my bomb circle light up when I'm clearly on a target?  I can drop the bombs and get hits, but at lower altitudes especially, it stays white.

For the "lit-up bomb circle" problems, my suggestion will be to forget it altogether, it lights up at the dead center, but if you take lag and reasonable human reaction time into account, by the time you see it lit it's already too late.

Kill gets more CP because it prevents them from repairing and fighting back, actually I think you do get CP for each HP you chipped off the enemy planes. so for the 400 HP case you may be getting like 75+ 100~200 CP.

Wombatmetal #5 Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:42 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1141 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostDesmios, on 15 January 2018 - 04:48 PM, said:

- Did a wild swing to the left, dropped while they were on target, looked few seconds later, they all landed to the left.

3) Does altitude matter for bomb accuracy?

7) How long after you destroy a ground target/defense plane before they respawn?

8) Does anyone on the dev team actually play the game?  Some of those missions from Albion really had me questioning this.

9) does overheating your engine cause any penalty/delay?

2) It depends on the bomber. Bombers like the Do 17z that drop a string of bombs you want to drop early, like when the dot hits the wall of the target and before it turns orange. Bombers like the Do 217m which drop single bombs you want to hit center target, unless it's a big target and you drop two where you drop one early and one late (like a radar dish)

pyantoryng #6 Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:49 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2171 battles

Why do I get 200xp for dealing 5hp to a plane and getting a killing blow but only +75 if I take out 400 of their 900 health?

- No, you get 200 combat points (correspond to credits) on killing blow and only 75 on assist (125 if you dealt more than 60% damage to them, called major contribution). EXP (mastery points) is only rewarded on second, fifith, eighth, tenth, and fifteenth kill and assists, beyond that will not contribute to EXP any more. You do get combat points while whittling down enemy planes at certain intervals of their condition so it's more than 200 per plane compared to only the killing blow.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Mercsn #7 Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:30 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2616 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View Postpyantoryng, on 15 January 2018 - 08:49 PM, said:

Why do I get 200xp for dealing 5hp to a plane and getting a killing blow but only +75 if I take out 400 of their 900 health?

- No, you get 200 combat points (correspond to credits) on killing blow and only 75 on assist (125 if you dealt more than 60% damage to them, called major contribution). EXP (mastery points) is only rewarded on second, fifith, eighth, tenth, and fifteenth kill and assists, beyond that will not contribute to EXP any more. You do get combat points while whittling down enemy planes at certain intervals of their condition so it's more than 200 per plane compared to only the killing blow.

where do you find this info?  is it listed somewhere? there's another thread open where a guy is asking about what earns combat points and mastery.

And...

3)  This is why I prefer low altitude bombing. I like the bombs to go where I put them.  Of course, there's no bombsight, but you don't need one once you figure out release points.  The bombs do have physics, since I fly low, I'm often maneuvering wildly to try and line up a target before I fly past or to get maximum ripple value on a target.  So, if I release while in a curve, the bombs will sling off to the side.  This is more noticeable the faster you're going (say, an a26 speeding through, for example).  So, try to be wings level when you drop.

and tying that into

5)  Don't worry about if the circle is lit up or not.  I usually fly so low, even in GA that it's not visible.  They used to have that "look down" view for GA...never used that either.  If you're dropping them with a release point where you're scoring hits...the circle is irrelevant.  It's kinda like the aim predictor or lead pip that we used to have for shooting planes.  They took that out (I never used it when it was available), and it doesn't stop people from hitting planes with guns.

Edited by Mercsn, 16 January 2018 - 08:35 AM.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

Reitousair #8 Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:53 AM

• 10963 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostLMG, on 15 January 2018 - 05:11 PM, said:

Something to keep a note of, however, is that the fire works similarly to aircraft fires.

While it does WAY more damage, and I mean WAY more, it will only burn down that segment, and, eventually, the fires will extinguish automatically.

So, think of it like aircraft, even if it's on fire, if you have the time, keep laying in the rounds!

Also as a little bonus, yup, payload will be effected by your attitude, this is especially evident with rockets. Rolling over 90 degrees will have your rockets fire off vertically, and they take a little time to come off the rack I've noticed, meaning that you need to hold your angle a bit after launching them.

Bombs get a bit wonky when pulling up, I've seen them fall extremely short and far of targets before on open ground, so, just pull a little dive for the drop to make sure it lands on target, I've noticed that rolling a bit will also shift them in the direction of your roll.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

pyantoryng #9 Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:26 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2171 battles

View PostMercsn, on 16 January 2018 - 08:30 AM, said:

where do you find this info?  is it listed somewhere? there's another thread open where a guy is asking about what earns combat points and mastery.

Just observation that I had been making for a while. I've made a remotely relevant topic a while ago: http://forum.worldof...ff-of-survival/

...I think I've wrote in the thread you mentioned too, but it's now buried good.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Desmios #10 Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:57 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1215 battles
Awesome replies!  Thank you everyone!

legoboy0401 #11 Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1758 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostReitousair, on 16 January 2018 - 12:53 AM, said:

Something to keep a note of, however, is that the fire works similarly to aircraft fires.

While it does WAY more damage, and I mean WAY more, it will only burn down that segment, and, eventually, the fires will extinguish automatically.

So, think of it like aircraft, even if it's on fire, if you have the time, keep laying in the rounds!

Also as a little bonus, yup, payload will be effected by your attitude, this is especially evident with rockets. Rolling over 90 degrees will have your rockets fire off vertically, and they take a little time to come off the rack I've noticed, meaning that you need to hold your angle a bit after launching them.

Bombs get a bit wonky when pulling up, I've seen them fall extremely short and far of targets before on open ground, so, just pull a little dive for the drop to make sure it lands on target, I've noticed that rolling a bit will also shift them in the direction of your roll.

Uh, NO. Fire burns all of a ground target. It just takes a bit of time to do so. Also, even the most heavily armored ground target groups are not immune to this.

In addition, you CAN set multiple fires on one ground target group, but it'll only serve the purpose of speeding up the destruction of that ground target group by fire. Fire is NOT contained to only the exact ground target SECTION it was set on, but it IS confined to only the ground target GROUP it was set on.

An average player with an average goal: greatness, someday. Today, mediocrity will have to suffice. But no matter, I will always play to the best of my ability, and I will always strive to make the best of my ability just that little bit stronger and better.

#Failureisalwaysanoption

#Givingupneveris

Reitousair #12 Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:25 AM

• 10963 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View Postlegoboy0401, on 16 January 2018 - 02:39 PM, said:

Uh, NO. Fire burns all of a ground target. It just takes a bit of time to do so. Also, even the most heavily armored ground target groups are not immune to this.

In addition, you CAN set multiple fires on one ground target group, but it'll only serve the purpose of speeding up the destruction of that ground target group by fire. Fire is NOT contained to only the exact ground target SECTION it was set on, but it IS confined to only the ground target GROUP it was set on.

From what I've seen, I have grazed an armored workshop with a few cannon shells, set the largest building on fire and then after a while it peters and while that segment is extremely weak, it is still standing, barely. Perhaps it was just weird server issues on my end but I have observed that extremely heavy segments you barely graze on a full-health target will survive a fire. Perhaps I am wrong or there was an update, but, fires do indeed eventually extinguish, however these are EXTREMELY specific circumstances, so it's likely you'll never have to worry about them.

Indeed, you can set multiple fires on that ground target group, however, when you only set one segment on fire, it will burn that segment, which in turn damages the entire target, however, the effects of the fire are eliminated with the segment, perhaps my wording was poor in this case. 

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

vcharng #13 Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:15 AM

• 3878 battles

View Postlegoboy0401, on 16 January 2018 - 10:39 PM, said:

I think he's trying to say that the fire does not spread from one segment  to another in the same target set.

Like, you can set a chimney of a workshop on fire, but you won't burn down all 4 of them by one fire.

legoboy0401 #14 Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:37 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1758 battles
  • [FK] FK

View Postvcharng, on 16 January 2018 - 09:15 PM, said:

I think he's trying to say that the fire does not spread from one segment  to another in the same target set.

Like, you can set a chimney of a workshop on fire, but you won't burn down all 4 of them by one fire.

You can destroy 1 entire ground target by fire by setting one section of it on fire. It will not, however, spread to other ground targets.

An average player with an average goal: greatness, someday. Today, mediocrity will have to suffice. But no matter, I will always play to the best of my ability, and I will always strive to make the best of my ability just that little bit stronger and better.

#Failureisalwaysanoption

#Givingupneveris

LMG #15 Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:20 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2436 battles

To avoid confusion, can we call each individual part of a ground target "Buildings"? I'm starting to get lost :unsure:

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

Reitousair #16 Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:00 AM

• 10963 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostLMG, on 16 January 2018 - 10:20 PM, said:

To avoid confusion, can we call each individual part of a ground target "Buildings"? I'm starting to get lost :unsure:

Hmm, yeah, I think we're using different vocabulary for this little bit of discussion, alright, so, perhaps I'll properly define terminology here.

Individual part of ground target = Building

Group of buildings forming a ground target = (Ground) Target

Alright, now with vocabulary defined so we're properly clear, and can hopefully create a better understanding of what each of us are writing.

When you set a building on fire, it will damage that building, which in turn will begin to rapidly kill the entire ground target. However, if you barely scratch a full-health target and hit an extremely heavy building i.e. the workshop of the big target in a mining plant, the fires will eventually extinguish like on planes, however these cases are usually fairly rare in normal striking.

You can set multiple buildings on fire in one target, and this will rapidly deplete the overall health of the target, however, if you leave one building left, it will not burn down with the rest. You cannot destroy an entire target by setting one building on fire, as the fire damage ends when that individual building is destroyed (however this will leave all other buildings weakened I've noticed). For example, as vcharng pointed out, you cannot destroy the big target in a mining plant by setting one of the smokestacks on fire, but, you will burn down that individual smokestack, which will make it easier to kill the target overall.

Setting one target on fire, even if you make an inferno out of it, will not have the fire spread to other targets.

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users