Vision

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Captain_Rownd #1 Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:19 AM

Master Sergeant

• 288 battles
How do some players seem to be able to home in directly on other players?  Sometimes I get killed by the same player 2-3 times in a row, and I haven't even seen them in the battle other than the report of who I've been killed by?  Is there some secret "player here" key?

mukherjeeav #2 Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:06 AM

Senior Airman

• 1021 battles
  • [FK] FK

They probably use the anti bot vision mod here...identifies the bots with an ' * ' before their names. 

Rest are the actual players. I guess that's how.

Have a look here : http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/50858-2030-whos-the-ai-bots/

DrSinister #3 Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:52 AM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 95 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Also most player names are easy to id out of the bots.  Any names with a lowercase 1st letter is not a bot, any symbols in the name !@#$%^&*()_ etc are not bots.  Bots carry names that are nation specific also, so if its a German play it will be a German name.

Mercsn #4 Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:16 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 965 battles

Pressing the Left Alt key will bring up player names if they are close enough to you.  Even without a bot/human mod, you can easily find the same player in a crowd using the L-Alt key (can set this as push instead of "push and hold" in the keybinds setup).

As stated, if players are running a mod that shows who's a bot, they will usually focus on players first since you are guaranteed to be out of battle longer than a bot (bots don't get increased respawn timers) and players are usually more dangerous than bots.  Even without a mod, if you rack up some score (or kill that other human), you paint a target on your back.

Plus, the minimap is also a tool they can use to find you.  If they know you're in a MR (multi-role) and they see only fighters or HF in sertain sectors, but a MR in another, they may fly to where the MR icon is located hoping to find you.  Then, combined with the L-Alt view, they can quickly determine if that is you or a bot.

If the player is very nasty, like hoom, they will attack from below and behind you or above you in the clouds or sun where you won't see them.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

Destroyer_Suzukaze #5 Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:34 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 678 battles

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 12 January 2018 - 08:19 PM, said:

How do some players seem to be able to home in directly on other players?  Sometimes I get killed by the same player 2-3 times in a row, and I haven't even seen them in the battle other than the report of who I've been killed by?  Is there some secret "player here" key?

If you're not seeing them, why is that? This is something we can work on, situational awareness. 

One thing I tend to do is to tunnel vision when I am on the tail of another plane. Their dodging and weaving, and I am focused on keeping up and draining their hit points. 

But when you are on someone's tail you are vulnerable. Keep checking the radar while you're flying and see if any red triangles are pointed your direction. Because that other player who shot you down is on your radar before he opens fire. But you missed him which means you weren't looking. If you are travelling between caps, keep an eye out in radar for red planes headed in your direction or almost on top of you. 

Keep checking your six, which means look behind you. I mapped that to my right mouse button. Makes it so easy to get in the habit of looking behind every few seconds. 

Finally, develop a timer in your head. When you are on someone's tail too long, it should go off. Trying to get that last sliver of health pool can be very costly to your own. Conserve your health. Sometimes it's better to let a plane go. 

Captain_Rownd #6 Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:39 AM

Master Sergeant

• 288 battles

View PostDestroyer_Suzukaze, on 13 January 2018 - 08:34 AM, said:

If you're not seeing them, why is that? This is something we can work on, situational awareness. 

I may have seen the plane, but the ID info only displays for one plane at a time that you're most directly flying towards.  If I see a player I'll target them, but too much flying in circles looking around for players wastes too much time.  

As far as the mini-map, it doesn't show altitude so the little arrows aren't providing much info, and staying on an enemy takes pretty much complete concentration. 

Destroyer_Suzukaze #7 Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:52 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 678 battles

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 13 January 2018 - 02:39 AM, said:

I may have seen the plane, but the ID info only displays for one plane at a time that you're most directly flying towards.  If I see a player I'll target them, but too much flying in circles looking around for players wastes too much time.  

As far as the mini-map, it doesn't show altitude so the little arrows aren't providing much info, and staying on an enemy takes pretty much complete concentration. 

Multi tasking is a skill that can be learned. But at the very least when the "enemy on your tail" message comes up or you start taking damage, you need to break off right then and there. I know what I tend to think "I almost have him, just a bit more" but that just gets me dead, and if I'm dead I'm not shooting anything. 

I was in on a live stream with one of the developers, Priolia, not long ago and we did ask for better radar info but we have to work with what we got

Captain_Rownd #8 Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:22 PM

Master Sergeant

• 288 battles

View PostDestroyer_Suzukaze, on 13 January 2018 - 07:52 PM, said:

Multi tasking is a skill that can be learned. But at the very least when the "enemy on your tail" message comes up or you start taking damage, you need to break off right then and there. I know what I tend to think "I almost have him, just a bit more" but that just gets me dead, and if I'm dead I'm not shooting anything.

I'm used to seeing that message a lot  :D

Dru83 #9 Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:14 AM

Master Sergeant

• 801 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

Captain_Rownd said:

I may have seen the plane, but the ID info only displays for one plane at a time that you're most directly flying towards.

As mentioned above, you can see more info by pressing the alt button. As mercsn said, you can change the settings so that the alt setting will stay up until you hit alt again. Pressing Alt will let you see names of players who are farther away from you and not directly in front of you. The alternate view brings up extra info about players, the score, your ordnance and weapons. It also removes some of the other information, like the horizon indicator and the degree of climb/dive lines. On the map, it changes the triangles to show what type of plane is there. As mentioned above, that can be vital if you've taken the time to see who's flying what before the game starts. If there's only one heavy fighter and it's a human, then as soon as I see that heavy symbol on the map near me, I know I'm about to have a problem. A heavy or a high altitude fighter can approach at a high rate of speed and take you out before you know they're there, so spotting them first is key.

Before the game starts, look at the names of players and identify how many human players are in the match and who they are. Say hi if you recognize anybody and keep an eye out for good players that you've faced before. Use what the others have said above to spot who's a bot and who's a real player. Right click over the name if you're not sure. If a little menu comes up asking you if you want to friend the player, than it's a real person. If the menu doesn't pop up, they're a bot. Use the corner map to identify who is in the area. Look around with the mouse and press the look backwards button to check behind you. There is also a button that will look at whatever plane you have targeted right now. This is good in a turn fight to see how close the enemy is to your tail.

Situational awareness is similar in many situations. When I drive my car, I am constantly switching where I look between my three mirrors, the gauges on the dash, and looking out the front. You need to be doing the same here. As mentioned above, when you're on someone's tail, your focus narrows so you only see what's in front. Fighter pilots call this padlocking. You can't let yourself get locked into just chasing the enemy around. You should at least glance at the map or check your tail quickly while chasing down an enemy.

mnbv_fockewulfe #10 Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 102 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
I started driving last year, and one of the things I noticed is that I feel really uncomfortable when a car is behind me. I keeping wanting to speed out of gun range.:hiding:

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

hoom #11 Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:42 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2164 battles

Block Quote

If the player is very nasty, like hoom, they will attack from below and behind you or above you in the clouds or sun where you won't see them.

Oh man :hiding: you're never gonna forgive me for that battle are you?

I really really was primarily trying to get ground target assists but basically every time I looked up from a run & engaged nearest target (pull up & shoot belly, rolling through an Immelmann till horizontal behind shooting all the way) it turned out to be one of you two.

I-16 e really melts planes fast at that tier & I guess I've developed a bunch of experience with that engagement from playing a lot of low altitude planes.

Block Quote

But at the very least when the "enemy on your tail" message comes up or you start taking damage, you need to break off right then and there. I know what I tend to think "I almost have him, just a bit more" but that just gets me dead, and if I'm dead I'm not shooting anything. 

Very very important advice this.

Should be in big, bold, flashing neon letters across the top of the screen the whole game.

Very very occasionally if you have good situational awareness, know that its gonna be a BnZ attacking on approx perpendicular path & they'll only get a couple of shots you can ignore it.

But even then far too often when I've done that I flick my camera round & find both Heavy Defense Fighters sitting on my [edited]& blasting me to pieces :ohmy:

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

SpiritFoxMY #12 Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:40 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 743 battles

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 14 January 2018 - 01:27 AM, said:

I started driving last year, and one of the things I noticed is that I feel really uncomfortable when a car is behind me. I keeping wanting to speed out of gun range.:hiding:

I've been driving for over fifteen years and I know that I've always wanted guns on that thing...

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Captain_Rownd #13 Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:25 AM

Master Sergeant

• 288 battles

View PostDru83, on 14 January 2018 - 12:14 AM, said:

Look around with the mouse and press the look backwards button to check behind you.

I use joystick.  This game needs VR so you can look around...and I need a VR acquisition budget.  ;) 

trikke #14 Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:49 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 839 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostDestroyer_Suzukaze, on 13 January 2018 - 03:34 AM, said:

Finally, develop a timer in your head. When you are on someone's tail too long, it should go off. Trying to get that last sliver of health pool can be very costly to your own. Conserve your health. Sometimes it's better to let a plane go. 

tracers coming from your 6 is something that you can notice without looking backwards, even if you're not taking damage yet

make the choice to break off your attack, it's much better to break off than absorb a butt-load of damage 

do what i say, not what i do...    i've always just assumed that the pilot behind me is as bad at aiming as i am

but i'm usually wrong about that assumption 

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Captain_Rownd #15 Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:17 PM

Master Sergeant

• 288 battles

View Posttrikke, on 15 January 2018 - 11:49 AM, said:

tracers coming from your 6 is something that you can notice without looking backwards, even if you're not taking damage yet

make the choice to break off your attack, it's much better to break off than absorb a butt-load of damage 

By then you're gonna absorb a butt-load of damage either way.

SpiritFoxMY #16 Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:32 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 743 battles

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 15 January 2018 - 01:17 PM, said:

By then you're gonna absorb a butt-load of damage either way.

Depends - some guys are trigger-happy, especially the American fighters, and open fire too far away to be really effective. If I'm in something with a good boost, I just stamp on the gas and blaze away from them; their .50's short range means I usually only take superficial damage. Russians are a bit of a mixed bag - the a/c guys can deal a decent amount of damage but don't have the dps to really burn you down rapidly, the derp warriors CAN murder you in one or two shots but, again, their secondary weapons tend to give the game away, so stamping on the gas and blazing away is always an option as long as they aren't directly behind you until you're about 400m away and increasing. 

Spitfires, Zeroes and especially Corsairs, Focke-Wulfs and the mid-tier British and German Heavies... THOSE will tear you apart if you don't notice them until the bullets start flying.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Captain_Rownd #17 Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:39 PM

Master Sergeant

• 288 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 15 January 2018 - 01:32 PM, said:

Depends - some guys are trigger-happy, especially the American fighters, and open fire too far away to be really effective. If I'm in something with a good boost, I just stamp on the gas and blaze away from them; their .50's short range means I usually only take superficial damage.

I don't mind the planes that try to dive in and zoom away because it's fairly easy to shoot something flying in a straight line.  :D

poppavein #18 Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:31 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 802 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 13 January 2018 - 05:27 PM, said:

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 14 January 2018 - 01:40 AM, said:

I've been driving for over fifteen years and I know that I've always wanted guns on that thing...

How about an M1 Garand on it?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users