Best Line To Free XP

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

xtermin8r69 #1 Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:38 AM

Senior Airman

• 801 battles

Ok so I ended up going a little overboard on the santa crates for both warships and warplanes. I now have an unbelievable amount of free xp and I'm curious what everyone thinks is the best line to use it on. 

I've gotten the swift unlocked and I can probably free xp 2 or 3 more lines but I will pick 1 and save the rest for stuff like not having to play stock planes. Also I hope at some point there will be a premium plane for free xp like the Missouri on warships. 

Wombatmetal #2 Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:51 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 949 battles
  • [H_PUN] H_PUN

I went a little overboard too. I am using my free xp to upgrade modules and invest in crew skills.  I don't like to free xp past planes as I think you learn a great deal grinding them out. 

I did skip the I210 after a few games in it. Terrible plane. 

If I use it judiciously I don't have to worry about free XP for the entire year! I'm all set on gold, all set on free xp, all set for premium, just need to manage silver and fly planes. Makes the game a lot less stressful

FIight #3 Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:20 AM

• 4131 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

View PostDestroyer_Suzukaze, on 11 January 2018 - 11:51 PM, said:

I went a little overboard too. I am using my free xp to upgrade modules and invest in crew skills.  I don't like to free xp past planes as I think you learn a great deal grinding them out. 

If I use it judiciously I don't have to worry about free XP for the entire year! I'm all set on gold, all set on free xp, all set for premium, just need to manage silver and fly planes. Makes the game a lot less stressful

I​ felt I'd better stock them so I could use them to research modules when the rest of both lines are released, LOL

Use free exp to pass the stock grind

xtermin8r69 #4 Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:46 AM

Senior Airman

• 801 battles

View PostDestroyer_Suzukaze, on 12 January 2018 - 04:51 AM, said:

Yeah I've been pumping up my crews as well. I don't think I'll have to every fly a stock plane again. lol

Mercsn #5 Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:53 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1075 battles

The thing about 3D aerial type combat is different people enjoy and/or do well in different craft.  

Since there's no reason to just unlock tier 10s, my advice is fly the lines and see what YOU like and do well with. 

Then, if you run into a dog but are hopeful about the next plane in the line, yoi can free xp through the one isn't fun. In my case, this was the bf109z which I didn't like in beta and, apparently, still don't like.  The Me 262 is something I did (and still do) like. 

You may find that if you get along with a plane and enjoy flying and fighting it, you won't need to free xp upgrade it....because xp comes just from having fun with it.

If none of the planes are fun and you just want teir 10s, why bother at all?   You'll still have to fly a lower teir premium  (or buy credits) to operate the teir 10.  

Matches in teir 8+ are glorified training rooms, usually.  I just don't see the point in taking someone else's word for what YOU will like, especially when there's no benefit to skipping ahead.

Best of luck though, on whatever you invest your free xp in.

As someone else pointed out, a safe bet is to invest in a pilot's crew skills for a plane you know you like to fly,.  Although, it gets expensive fast. 

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

Reitousair #6 Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:57 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6315 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

Hmm, well, while I can't recommend any lines to just free XP through, and my usual reply of stock grind and XP past aircraft you don't like have been taken, I will just make suggestions as aircraft you might want to save your free XP to bypass.

Fw 190 A-1: Very underwhelming aircraft, and is extremely painful to grind even when fully upgraded.

P-51A: Good aircraft in the performance department, however the anemic armament of only 4 .50 cals makes it extremely difficult to kill things.

I-210: Effectively a USSR P-51A, it's good in performance, however, armament is lacking in punch at only 2 20mm cannons, and they're ShVAK's.

Thus far, those are the only three aircraft I can strongly recommend bypassing entirely that I have used, however other suggestions friends have made would be:

Skipping to F4U-1 in USN Multi's: While serviceable and perfectly respectable aircraft, the F4U-1 sets the tone for the rest of the line and plays far different from the F4F.

Ju-87G/Hs 129 and Ju-88P: Some friends have recommended bypassing these due to them not being nearly as competitive as the Me 265 and you should play the Fw 189 to get some GA experience in.

Dh. 103 Hornet: Seen as the weakest tier 7 HF, can still do exceedingly well but some friends do not recommend it.

Bsh-2 and IL-2: Lack of a rear gunner is a pain for a GA.

Otherwise, just save for the stock grind, that'll be the real killer for many aircraft.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

FluffyPabu #7 Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:28 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5968 battles
  • [JG52] JG52
there are not many people playing higher tiers, why waste free exp when you can't get games that often? take it slow man

Wombatmetal #8 Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:36 AM

• 949 battles
  • [H_PUN] H_PUN

View PostReitousair, on 12 January 2018 - 12:57 AM, said:

Hmm, well, while I can't recommend any lines to just free XP through, and my usual reply of stock grind and XP past aircraft you don't like have been taken, I will just make suggestions as aircraft you might want to save your free XP to bypass.

Fw 190 A-1: Very underwhelming aircraft, and is extremely painful to grind even when fully upgraded.

I do very well in this aircraft, which shows that all recommendations need to be taken with a pinch of salt. People have an affinity for certain planes. YMMV

P-51A: Good aircraft in the performance department, however the anemic armament of only 4 .50 cals makes it extremely difficult to kill things.

I have no problems killing things in this plane.

I-210: Effectively a USSR P-51A, it's good in performance, however, armament is lacking in punch at only 2 20mm cannons, and they're ShVAK's.

I could not kill in this one, skipped it

Thus far, those are the only three aircraft I can strongly recommend bypassing entirely that I have used, however other suggestions friends have made would be:

Skipping to F4U-1 in USN Multi's: While serviceable and perfectly respectable aircraft, the F4U-1 sets the tone for the rest of the line and plays far different from the F4F.

Ju-87G/Hs 129 and Ju-88P: Some friends have recommended bypassing these due to them not being nearly as competitive as the Me 265 and you should play the Fw 189 to get some GA experience in.

Don't bother with the Hs129. Hard to make work

Do not skip the Ju 87. Hard as it is to master, cannons with low velocity and shell drop are in the game. Here is where I learned how to shoot them. It was very painful but worth it

Dh. 103 Hornet: Seen as the weakest tier 7 HF, can still do exceedingly well but some friends do not recommend it.

Bsh-2 and IL-2: Lack of a rear gunner is a pain for a GA.

Otherwise, just save for the stock grind, that'll be the real killer for many aircraft.

some thoughts above

pyantoryng #9 Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:55 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1670 battles

Pancake (plus revolver cannons)

Blohm und Voss MR (plus revolver cannons and R4M)

The later 109 family is a prime candidate for skipping...they are woefully underarmed in their tier.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

StoptheViolins #10 Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:23 PM

• 1809 battles

I freed to the F-94 from the F2G - one T9 is quite enough to research but two...

109F/G feel undergunned atm. If WG re-adds their 30mm field pack then they'd be fine.

P-47 line.... But play through at least one. The experience is a bit rough but when you get to the F84 you'll be used to playing the plane like a GA but now you can dogfight.

Research the La-7 but skip it since it feels just like more La-5 but T7 vs 6.

I wouldn't recommend skipping:

265 line - way fun to fly, just takes a little getting used to the lower DPS guns vs targets

Much of the Mustang line - the meta continues all the way up the tree so learning to play the Mustang is useful.  Some other trees switch meta a few times through their tree progression.

Spitfires - they print XP and credits and are among the most OP planes in-game

Yak-7 line - if you don't like the 7 you won't like the rest of them - they all play pretty much the same which is ok in turns but rely on hitting with their high alpha hub guns.

Edited by StoptheViolins, 12 January 2018 - 02:04 PM.

trikke #11 Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2250 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostMercsn, on 12 January 2018 - 02:53 AM, said:

The thing about 3D aerial type combat is different people enjoy and/or do well in different craft.  

i'm always shocked, and humbled, when i see others doing well in planes that i cannot fly

even freaking bots still do better in p-38fs than i do, which proves that only robots can fly those things

but i'm slowly getting better

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

MARS_REVENANT #12 Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:07 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 3875 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA
Don't waste FreeXP on planes. Use it on modules and fly your 1st battle in 100% upgraded planes.  Learn the nuisances of each plane. It will help you in battle.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

TWITCH  |  YOUTUBE  |  FACEBOOK  |  TWITTER

xtermin8r69 #13 Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:06 PM

Senior Airman

• 801 battles

Thanks everyone for your comments. Sounds like I'm better off saving my free xp. Use it for captains and upgrades like I've been doing. 

My thinking was if there was a particular line that just sucks to grind but the tier X is worth getting. 

Most lines I'd rather just play and learn their ins and outs. When I used to play Warthunder I did pretty much just TnB type fighters but I find on WOWP's that every class has it's fun and is worth playing.

Catch21 #14 Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:39 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2631 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 12 January 2018 - 02:07 PM, said:

Don't waste FreeXP on planes. Use it on modules and fly your 1st battle in 100% upgraded planes.  Learn the nuisances of each plane. It will help you in battle.

^My vote goes to this. Plus some lines- USA P51, Germany Bf109, see here are on sale this weekend. For example, if you bought the Level 5 P-40 en-route to the P-51A you'd get it at a 50% credit discount, to fully upgrade it would cost somewhere north of 10K Free XP. Levels VI and VII (51A and D) are at 30% discount, rinse and repeat on these.

The German 109 line similarly, from the Level 4 B model to the Level 7 G model.

MARS_REVENANT #15 Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:49 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 3875 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View Postxtermin8r69, on 12 January 2018 - 10:06 AM, said:

Thanks everyone for your comments. Sounds like I'm better off saving my free xp. Use it for captains and upgrades like I've been doing. 

My thinking was if there was a particular line that just sucks to grind but the tier X is worth getting. 

Most lines I'd rather just play and learn their ins and outs. When I used to play Warthunder I did pretty much just TnB type fighters but I find on WOWP's that every class has it's fun and is worth playing.

I wouldnt waste free exp on pilot training either.  Sometimes I do it to get the 2/15 skill pint so the first pilot skill I get is decent.  But beyond that the Free EXP - Pilot EXP conversion is terrible.  The best use for Free EXP is plane modules.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

StoptheViolins #16 Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:15 PM

• 1809 battles

I beg to differ on the free XP on equipment only.  If you free XP all the equipment on the plane then the only reason to fly is to grind to the the next plane vs flying to see what weapons/equipment make the plane better.  For instance there are several planes that have starting guns that sometimes feel more familiar and easy to use than the "upgraded guns"  like the 20mm to 30mm upgraded on some of the German lines.  You won't know if the 20mm are more useful to you if you skip straight to the 30mm.

If you are credit shy then you'll have a lot of parts that you upgraded to but can't buy then you are flying to grind credits towards the purchase of already researched equipment which kind of defeats the purpose of free XPing past equipment anyways since you are... grinding for something related to equipment.  I'd save the free XP to get over humps (like those 50k+ xp upgrades on some T7-9's.  Better yet, use the free XP to unlock parallel planes like the Su-9 stock will unlock the Yak-15's 2nd tier engine or unlocking the Lag-7 unlocks the top gun on the I-210.

MARS_REVENANT #17 Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:57 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 3875 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

Regardless of module purchase it would be a good idea to research everything and elite your plane for additional pilot exp.

Right now I can only think of 1 plane where I wouldn't take the top upgrade on weapons (JU 87?) where I would keep the bombs mounted rather than the 37(?)mm cannon.

pyantoryng #18 Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:00 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1670 battles

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 12 January 2018 - 04:57 PM, said:

Regardless of module purchase it would be a good idea to research everything and elite your plane for additional pilot exp.

Right now I can only think of 1 plane where I wouldn't take the top upgrade on weapons (JU 87?) where I would keep the bombs mounted rather than the 37(?)mm cannon.

I-211 if you are bad with derp guns...it's barely serviceable though, and if you are in that line then you are in it for THE derp gun (the first and second gun of that plane works like typical 30mm guns albeit with faster heat time). Same probably apply for Ta 152, but you are effectively playing a nerfed 209 that way.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

MARS_REVENANT #19 Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:12 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 3875 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View Postpyantoryng, on 12 January 2018 - 12:00 PM, said:

I-211 if you are bad with derp guns...it's barely serviceable though, and if you are in that line then you are in it for THE derp gun (the first and second gun of that plane works like typical 30mm guns albeit with faster heat time). Same probably apply for Ta 152, but you are effectively playing a nerfed 209 that way.

You said it... those 2 planes, and even the Starfire are all about the guns.  I would even like the JU 87, but low tier GA play means you have to defend yourself against noobs that dive on the first thing they see, and that doesn't have a rear gunner.  Now if they made the cannon slightly more accurate against planes... that would be a game changer.

pyantoryng #20 Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:13 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1670 battles
Add the 1099B-2 to the list. The 50mm is killer against targets, the MK 103 is nowhere close.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users