Guide Review Replay Flight Dornier Bomber Do.17Z

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

MagusGerhardt #1 Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:15 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 485 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

After flying the Junkers Ju.88A I thought it would be difficult for a different German bomber to be as comfortable to fly, or as fun.  After acquiring the Dornier Do.17Z tier IV bomber from the batch of loot crates earned from battle in the Albion event I took her out for a few battles and was pleasantly surprised that the Dornier not only met my expectations, but exceeded them.

Play of the Do.17Z has revealed some truths about German bombers; evaluation of the Do.217M indicates that all three of them share these traits.

1.  German bombers excel at point capture when unopposed.

2.  German bombers only concern for gaining points is destroying ground targets with bombs and flipping points.

3.  German bombers have no fixed guns to distract the pilot from doing what they are supposed to do: bomb.

4.  German bombers enjoy very good speed at very high altitudes for their tier; it takes a dedicated heavy fighter to oppose them efficiently.

The Dornier adds some extra flavor to what is already a very good foundation.  The Dornier shares the weak defensive guns of the Junkers Ju.88A as well as the larger bomber's defensive blind spots to the left and right of the plane's nose looking out over the wing as well as directly above and below the bomber.  However the Dornier is only tier IV, so her base defensive fire radius of 600 meters (improvable to maximum optimal of 800 meters) is actually very good; skillful use of manual TG control and TG crew skills make the Dornier bomber a defensive powerhouse from her nearly unassailable position high above the field.  But wait, there's more.  The thing turns like a Porsche while on a bombing run, turning tightly and quickly enough between drops to allow for *major* course correction between targets that would be impossible with a less agile aircraft.  This allows the Dornier to make better use of her 5 bomb clusters in each load than the higher tier Junkers.

As dangerous and effective as the German bombers sound they all have one common counter; opposition.  If the German bombers are interdicted, they are very easily shot down even by a pure MG armed fighter.  It just takes a pilot noticing the presence of effective bomber pilots and making the decision to use his plane to shut them down.  

Good hunting!  :honoring:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

legoboy0401 #2 Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:07 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 389 battles

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 10 January 2018 - 02:15 PM, said:

After flying the Junkers Ju.88A I thought it would be difficult for a different German bomber to be as comfortable to fly, or as fun.  After acquiring the Dornier Do.17Z tier IV bomber from the batch of loot crates earned from battle in the Albion event I took her out for a few battles and was pleasantly surprised that the Dornier not only met my expectations, but exceeded them.

Play of the Do.17Z has revealed some truths about German bombers; evaluation of the Do.217M indicates that all three of them share these traits.

2.  German bombers only concern for gaining points is destroying ground targets with bombs and flipping points.

3.  German bombers have no fixed guns to distract the pilot from doing what they are supposed to do: bomb.

4.  German bombers enjoy very good speed at very high altitudes for their tier; it takes a dedicated heavy fighter to oppose them efficiently.

The Dornier adds some extra flavor to what is already a very good foundation.  The Dornier shares the weak defensive guns of the Junkers Ju.88A as well as the larger bomber's defensive blind spots to the left and right of the plane's nose looking out over the wing as well as directly above and below the bomber.  However the Dornier is only tier IV, so her base defensive fire radius of 600 meters (improvable to maximum optimal of 800 meters) is actually very good; skillful use of manual TG control and TG crew skills make the Dornier bomber a defensive powerhouse from her nearly unassailable position high above the field.  But wait, there's more.  The thing turns like a Porsche while on a bombing run, turning tightly and quickly enough between drops to allow for *major* course correction between targets that would be impossible with a less agile aircraft.  This allows the Dornier to make better use of her 5 bomb clusters in each load than the higher tier Junkers.

As dangerous and effective as the German bombers sound they all have one common counter; opposition.  If the German bombers are interdicted, they are very easily shot down even by a pure MG armed fighter.  It just takes a pilot noticing the presence of effective bomber pilots and making the decision to use his plane to shut them down.  

Most sexy and effective bomber at any tier, save for the OP A-26B.

There's a reason I've been so desperately wanting the Do 17 Z.

Remember, remember the 14th of... June, the day of patch 2.05.  Some say it's great end-game content, some say it's horrible, but history will always recall which it actually was.

Spoiler

Quesnel #3 Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:39 AM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA
I feel educated, in a good way :great:

legoboy0401 #4 Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:57 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 389 battles

View PostQuesnel, on 10 January 2018 - 05:39 PM, said:

I feel educated, in a good way :great:

You know what? I didn't get the Do 17Z, or any plane, from this event. But, I'm okay. I'll login tomorrow and grind the heck out of the German Bombers and British Multiroles.

Remember, remember the 14th of... June, the day of patch 2.05.  Some say it's great end-game content, some say it's horrible, but history will always recall which it actually was.

Spoiler

MagusGerhardt #5 Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:43 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 485 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postlegoboy0401, on 10 January 2018 - 09:57 PM, said:

You know what? I didn't get the Do 17Z, or any plane, from this event. But, I'm okay. I'll login tomorrow and grind the heck out of the German Bombers and British Multiroles.

I already have 34k experience built up on the Ju.88A in anticipation of the Do.217M, and I have a crew waiting to be transferred.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

Wombatmetal #6 Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:24 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 770 battles

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 10 January 2018 - 10:43 PM, said:

I already have 34k experience built up on the Ju.88A in anticipation of the Do.217M, and I have a crew waiting to be transferred.

You'll like the 217M. It doesn't drop clusters but the bombs are effective. Not handy changing targets as the 17 but handles well enough. 

I do find the gunner skill that increases crits useful. Even though your guns are weak, one crit is enough to cause most planes to lose altitude and drop off your tail. @WafflesofWrath is the only person to shoot down my 217M, and he caught me early before I had boosted to altitude. 

Save your boost in the 217M, when someone closes you boost away. Don't use it up. When someone is closing on you turn and boost - when they are climbing in the red zone, they can't turn and boost and climb.They just stall out

And you can ram kill a Ju88a :hiding:

legoboy0401 #7 Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:26 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 389 battles

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 10 January 2018 - 10:43 PM, said:

Is it just me, or did the Skies of Albion event have unnecessarily low drop rates for even small useful prizes(250 gold, 3 tokens, trained crew for the planes, things like that), let alone the new planes themselves?

Spoiler

MagusGerhardt #8 Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:53 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 485 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postlegoboy0401, on 11 January 2018 - 08:26 AM, said:

Is it just me, or did the Skies of Albion event have unnecessarily low drop rates for even small useful prizes(250 gold, 3 tokens, trained crew for the planes, things like that), let alone the new planes themselves?

The drop rates were about as terrible for good stuff here as they were in the previous Thor's Hammer and Japanese Threat confrontation events.

legoboy0401 #9 Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:42 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 389 battles

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 11 January 2018 - 10:53 AM, said:

The drop rates were about as terrible for good stuff here as they were in the previous Thor's Hammer and Japanese Threat confrontation events.

That may be, but did those events have idiotic fireworks and sparklers? Never mind, it doesn't matter. I found that the Albion crates were about middle of the road.

World of Tank's normal event boxes are pretty darn terrible, (even the decorations they give are usually more useless level 1 variations!), although their paid-for boxes ANYTHING is reasonable OP in drop rate EVERYTHING!.( the bolded terms meaning World of Tanks is pretty much Pay2Win now, don't bother with it.) 

World of Warplanes' crate situation is similar, except there aren't any decorations to grind, and the boxes here for Albion were near-pointless as their best rewards(the missions) were either impossible to complete for free or infected with rage-inducing bugginess.

The boxes, again, when paid for, were quite good, but as for their earnable brethren, not so much. The earnable crates were piss-poor(20,000 credits and 2 sparkers?  REALLY!?!? THAT'S ALL!?!?) most of the time, and what wasn't terrible was either extremely rare, or bugged out(again, the missions come to mind).

Then we come to World of Tanks and Warplane's more recent relative, World of Warships. Now, way back when, WoWS strayed from the path of Tanks and Warplanes, and got rid of the ridiculous, impossible-for-new-players-due-to-their-not-having-a-vehicle-at-all-3-sets-of-tiers daily missions. It instead got something more useful(and that could be easily integrated with crate events): Daily crates. Now, these are usually pretty poor.

HOWEVER, they can often have something semi-rare in them, or even if they don't, EVERYTHING they give is quite practical, unlike WoWP sparkers and fireworks. What's more, you can choose the type of crate you get by selecting a category, meaning if you are running short on camos,(camos are used per battle in WoWS) you can simply select the category "Flags and Camouflages" and you'll be pretty much guaranteed to get some free camos.  

Oh, and their buyable Secret Santa Boxes are the best of all. They give you a free Tier II-IV ship about an average of 1 every 3-4(cheap variety) boxes. The more expensive ones however, slash this ration down to about 1 free Tier II-IV ship every 2 boxes.

What is your opinion, Magnus?

Spoiler

pyantoryng #10 Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:45 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1494 battles

Japanese Threat had a larger gold payout...it was greatly nerfed for Thorhammer...and that carries over to Albion.

...and I don't think I'm a fan of 60sec 50kg clusterbombs...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

MagusGerhardt #11 Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:01 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 485 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postlegoboy0401, on 11 January 2018 - 12:42 PM, said:

That may be, but did those events have idiotic fireworks and sparklers? Never mind, it doesn't matter. I found that the Albion crates were about middle of the road.

We've had sparklers and fireworks as rewards before.  They're a gag gift and always have been; useful only for tooling around in training rooms for clan skirmishes and the like.  I remember for one practice battle we had in DRACS my team loaded up on fireworks instead of a useful consumable and freaked out the opposing team, which thought for about 4 seconds that they were under mass rocket attack.  It would be nicer/different if we could use these completely cosmetic items without having to sacrifice an actually useful consumable slot.

World of Tank's normal event boxes are pretty darn terrible, (even the decorations they give are usually more useless level 1 variations!), although their paid-for boxes ANYTHING is reasonable OPindrop rate EVERYTHING!.( the bolded terms meaning World of Tanks is pretty much Pay2Win now, don't bother with it.) 

I wouldn't judge too harshly there on Tanks.  I played Tanks casually (very casually) this Christmas season and still managed to get tier VIII Festive Atmosphere, and I didn't even play on the first day where the stuff was glitched and you could basically get to tier IX Festive Atmosphere just by putting in six+ hours of play.  Two to four games a night took me from I to VIII and I got three female commanders out of the deal.  It wasn't a bad event, and I didn't even buy any of the Santa Crates there.   I did buy the smallest denomination of Santa crates here and in Warships, though.

World of Warplanes' crate situation is similar, except there aren't any decorations to grind, and the boxes here for Albion were near-pointless as their best rewards(the missions) were either impossible to complete for free or infected with rage-inducing bugginess.

I got the ten dollar Santa pack here and pulled the tier V Junkers Ju.88A out of it.  No missions to do, she just appeared in my hangar.  Acquiring her this way denied me the unique camo and emblem but meh.  I acquired the Do.17Z featured here via a non-purchased Albion loot crate, and it required missions, which I managed to complete before the following day's event.  Aside from those two planes the other things I got from Albion loot boxes were the Cheetah camo for the Bf.109B tier IV light fighter, about a week's worth of premium time, about 200 gold, around 27 free tokens, approximately 25k free experience and some free hangar slots and barracks bunks.  Overall I would say I made out very well for this event considering I missed out on six days of it due to family time for Christmas, and only devoting about 90 minutes of play nightly to earn two loot crates that would be doubled to four on the likely result of an allied victory.

You have a very good point on the bug ridden nature of this event, though.  Waffles got a +3 Hurricane pilot from one of his first loot boxes, then a later one awarded him the Hurricane and when the plane arrived its +1 pilot overwrote the +3 pilot Waffles already had.  THAT would really irritate me.  The fact that missions you had a limited time to complete would glitch out and not complete basically forced you to spend money on something you should have been able to earn for free.  That didn't sit well with me either.  So, Skies of Albion wasn't a terrible event; it was actually quite good...but where it had problems, they were BIG ones.

The boxes, again, when paid for, were quite good, but as for their earnable brethren, not so much. The earnable crates were piss-poor(20,000 credits and 2 sparkers?  REALLY!?!? THAT'S ALL!?!?) most of the time, and what wasn't terrible was either extremely rare, or bugged out(again, the missions come to mind).

I'll agree and disagree here.  The Santa crates were indeed very good; they always have been.  As I relayed earlier, I did earn the crate that allowed me to earn the Do.17Z.  The two extra loot crates I would purchase for six tokens nightly did not have a considerably greater yield over the ones I could earn for free and I eventually stopped Ordering extra loot crates entirely.

Then we come to World of Tanks and Warplane's more recent relative, World of Warships. Now, way back when, WoWS strayed from the path of Tanks and Warplanes, and got rid of the ridiculous, impossible-for-new-players-due-to-their-not-having-a-vehicle-at-all-3-sets-of-tiers daily missions. It instead got something more useful(and that could be easily integrated with crate events): Daily crates. Now, these are usually pretty poor.

HOWEVER, they can often have something semi-rare in them, or even if they don't, EVERYTHING they give is quite practical, unlike WoWP sparkers and fireworks. What's more, you can choose the type of crate you get by selecting a category, meaning if you are running short on camos,(camos are used per battle in WoWS) you can simply select the category "Flags and Camouflages" and you'll be pretty much guaranteed to get some free camos.  

Oh, and their buyable Secret Santa Boxes are the best of all. They give you a free Tier II-IV ship about an average of 1 every 3-4(cheap variety) boxes. The more expensive ones however, slash this ration down to about 1 free Tier II-IV ship every 2 boxes.

What is your opinion, Magnus?

I agree, the ship Santa crates were awesome this year.

My opinion on 

pyantoryng #12 Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:18 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1494 battles

For someone not paying a cent...these stupid confrontation boxes worth that much more. Scraping together gold from events such as these, one would eventually get enough to afford a cheap premium plane or two on discount...and the cheap premium in Planes tend to be great deals compared to Tanks or Ships. Hangar slots and extra beds are also welcome, along with any potential free low-level premium planes and a chance to win the big ones (plus the chrome paint of New Year).

Daily missions aren't all about the tokens in 1.9...they give over a thousand of EXP a pop for mid and high tier, acting like daily bonus for EXP to push a plane further and can be rerolled every four hours even when partially completed. Now they pay around 1/4 of that number, but in free EXP instead. However, the even more broken missions of 2.0 makes them significantly more unsavory than it used to be.

I dare say...while the 3-tier range format makes it impossible for new players to get tokens, it makes WoWP's economy unique in the sense that you can play at any tier without going bankrupt every few matches, as the 3-tier range format incentivize play at every tier range already, leaving the need of exorbitant service cost of high tier a choice, rather than a necessity to incentivize low tier play like Tanks and Ships do.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

legoboy0401 #13 Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:26 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 389 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 11 January 2018 - 07:18 PM, said:

For someone not paying a cent...these stupid confrontation boxes worth that much more. Scraping together gold from events such as these, one would eventually get enough to afford a cheap premium plane or two on discount...and the cheap premium in Planes tend to be great deals compared to Tanks or Ships. Hangar slots and extra beds are also welcome, along with any potential free low-level premium planes and a chance to win the big ones (plus the chrome paint of New Year).

Daily missions aren't all about the tokens in 1.9...they give over a thousand of EXP a pop for mid and high tier, acting like daily bonus for EXP to push a plane further and can be rerolled every four hours even when partially completed. Now they pay around 1/4 of that number, but in free EXP instead. However, the even more broken missions of 2.0 makes them significantly more unsavory than it used to be.

I dare say...while the 3-tier range format makes it impossible for new players to get tokens, it makes WoWP's economy unique in the sense that you can play at any tier without going bankrupt every few matches, as the 3-tier range format incentivize play at every tier range already, leaving the need of exorbitant service cost of high tier a choice, rather than a necessity to incentivize low tier play like Tanks and Ships do.

Agreed.

Spoiler

legoboy0401 #14 Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:28 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 389 battles

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 10 January 2018 - 02:15 PM, said:

This plane is just plane(pun intended)...(end of sentence inside spoiler)

Spoiler

It's just about the perfect plane. I could play it forever and not become bored or lose interest once.

Edited by legoboy0401, 12 January 2018 - 05:29 AM.

Spoiler

LMG #15 Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:05 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1668 battles

Alright, can someone give me a proper explination of how to use this thing? Because so far I have not found a single situation where I'd rather have a bomber than a GAA. And God help me if someone can actually reach me, because this thing is made out of wet paper

This is my IL-2 (t). There are many like it, but this one is mine. :child:

MindTwister #16 Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:23 AM

Airman Basic

• 5 battles

View PostLMG, on 13 January 2018 - 07:05 AM, said:

Alright, can someone give me a proper explination of how to use this thing? Because so far I have not found a single situation where I'd rather have a bomber than a GAA. And God help me if someone can actually reach me, because this thing is made out of wet paper

​Send you a message. Don't wanna highjack this post. :B

comtedumas #17 Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:46 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 4372 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostLMG, on 13 January 2018 - 02:05 AM, said:

http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/51454-so-you-have-your-new-bomber/

Also tagged with Guide, Review, Replay, Flight, Dornier, Bomber, Do.17Z

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users