Question about effects of Engine Tuning, Engine Guru, Engine Guru II

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

ThotCrime #1 Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:12 AM

Master Sergeant

• 18686 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
They each are supposed to increase "engine power" by some small percentage. But what does that mean? What exactly do these do?  For example, do they permanently increase the actual speed of the plane? Do they effect only the boost by increasing acceleration or time of the boost (only or in combo with something else)?

Edited by Animadversion, 09 January 2018 - 05:17 AM.

vcharng #2 Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:27 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 3878 battles

They increase the engine power, thereby increasing acceleration, it doesn't increase the plane's top speed unless this is stated independently.

I'm not sure if they increase the cruising speed, may need to test for it.

Mercsn #3 Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:13 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2616 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

Engine Guru 2, is the only of the three that you mention that actually increases aircraft top speed (top speed is achieved under boost).  I haven't personally tested whether it increases "cruising speed" (level flight without boost).  Essentially Guru 2 is a combination of Engine Tuning and Polished Airframe equipment.

The advantage to having more engine power or thrust is that your aircraft can maintain higher speed in a turn and accelerate more rapidly after performing turning or other maneuvers that bleed airspeed.  Also, improved thrust improves your rate of climb.  I have (accidently) tested for this while testing the Hurricane II and IID to compare their climb rates (WG stats are incorrect for the II and I'd been providing data to a player).  On one run I inadvertently left the equipment on the plane and had a higher rate of climb than without.  So, besides just accelerating faster, more engine power and higher top speed (if you are at speed as you pull up) allow for a faster climb if you need to engage an enemy above you.

So, Tuning and both levels of Guru will increase your acceleration throughout the speed range including with and without boost.  Guru 2 (and Polished Airframe equipment) will give the aircraft a higher top speed as well which stacks, as far as I know, with the crew skill that gives you faster speed when not engaged for X seconds (special skills on the bottom of the pilot's skill page).

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

hoom #4 Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:24 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10208 battles

They definitely increase the cruising speed & by extension the boosted speed (in planes that don't run hard into Top Speed) since you boost from a higher base.

The boost to cruise speed when Cruise Flight kicked in was noticeable when I had it on La-7.

I had both Engine Gurus and Engine Tuning on Skua for a while, found I really easily ran into the Top Speed ~360km/h, further boosting did nothing.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

Blucraft #5 Posted 09 January 2018 - 04:59 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1651 battles

I've been using "Cruise Flight" and Engine tuning on my Heavys and Bombers.  IMO it feels much better than the Guru 1 & 2 combo. 

-Blu

Mercsn #6 Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:51 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2616 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostBlucraft, on 09 January 2018 - 10:59 AM, said:

I've been using "Cruise Flight" and Engine tuning on my Heavys and Bombers.  IMO it feels much better than the Guru 1 & 2 combo.

-Blu

The Cruise Flight pilot skill is noticeable, especially since you start a match (or respawn) at full speed (non WEP/boost).  The disadvantage is that it turns off the instant you deal or take damage until you are out of combat for another 20 seconds or whatever the time is.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

Blucraft #7 Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:20 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1651 battles

View PostMercsn, on 09 January 2018 - 06:51 PM, said:

The Cruise Flight pilot skill is noticeable, especially since you start a match (or respawn) at full speed (non WEP/boost).  The disadvantage is that it turns off the instant you deal or take damage until you are out of combat for another 20 seconds or whatever the time is.

Yes, it's a balance...I personally found that getting to the fight is more important.  I try to manage boost to counteract it.

-Blu

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users