Anyone else struggle with the Yak-15?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

mustangman6579 #1 Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:09 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1947 battles

I was enjoying the Yak line up until this plane. 

I love the guns and the turning, but it's the speed that is killing me. 

It's far too slow for t8+ battles, and because of that, struggles to keep guns on target and fly from sector to sector. It excels in battles where you just keep turning and shooting, but lacks badly if you ever need to change bases. 

What get me, is why this plane can't even reach the top speed of it's real life counterpart. Now I haven't looked to see if every plane in this game can do that or not, just this one. 

But it would be nice to be able to boost like a jet, not like the prop before it. 

MARS_REVENANT #2 Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:13 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 3949 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View Postmustangman6579, on 08 January 2018 - 12:09 PM, said:

I was enjoying the Yak line up until this plane. 

I love the guns and the turning, but it's the speed that is killing me. 

It's far too slow for t8+ battles, and because of that, struggles to keep guns on target and fly from sector to sector. It excels in battles where you just keep turning and shooting, but lacks badly if you ever need to change bases. 

What get me, is why this plane can't even reach the top speed of it's real life counterpart. Now I haven't looked to see if every plane in this game can do that or not, just this one. 

But it would be nice to be able to boost like a jet, not like the prop before it. 

My suggestion would be to try and anticipate which sector the enemy is going to attack next and go there to defend against them.  As you said it does great as a turn-fighter.  Hopefully you get enough support from your team to take over the other sectors.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

TWITCH  |  YOUTUBE  |  FACEBOOK  |  TWITTER

mustangman6579 #3 Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:16 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1947 battles

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 08 January 2018 - 05:13 PM, said:

My suggestion would be to try and anticipate which sector the enemy is going to attack next and go there to defend against them.  As you said it does great as a turn-fighter.  Hopefully you get enough support from your team to take over the other sectors.

Sadly that never happens. My bots are always off in the middle of no where and I'm lucky to get 1-2 other real players. 

MARS_REVENANT #4 Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:19 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 3949 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View Postmustangman6579, on 08 January 2018 - 12:16 PM, said:

Sadly that never happens. My bots are always off in the middle of no where and I'm lucky to get 1-2 other real players. 

That's the problem with a low population.  Although I have been seeing more people in 8 - 10 lately, so it may improve.

There may not be an answer to your problem other that "just do the best you can and hope it works out"  Right now the game meta is dogfights and cap sectors.  So a plane that cant go from sector to sector quickly is at a disadvantage.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

TWITCH  |  YOUTUBE  |  FACEBOOK  |  TWITTER

anamals53 #5 Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:44 PM

Master Sergeant

• 693 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
Had the yak 15 before 2.0 ,, used it to cover GA's with relative success . Have the yak 19 now which has a little less of the same challenge . The planes after the Ga's make easier kills .:great: 

pyantoryng #6 Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:19 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1670 battles

I think it needs both ranks of Marksman and NR-23 to be really effective at shooting...I thoroughly enjoy mine so far, but I got the NR-23 from the IL-40 so I could use it right from stock.

It fits well in the dogfighting meta and if you push it, can barely make it up to kill bot RB-17. How long have you had it? How upgraded is it?

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

StoptheViolins #7 Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:23 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 1814 battles
The yak line won't get "fast" as it's a turner.  It does get reach with the top 23mm's.  Remember, jets were not introduced because they initially were not faster than piston fighters - they were introduced because they had better fuel usage ergo could go farther.

hoom #8 Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:09 AM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3880 battles

I'm still mostly stock with mine.

Have been hoping the engine upgrades would help with the speed?

I've got the RD10a now & doesn't feel much better than the RD10 that I had from researching So9/La160. Looks like it should be a bigger bump for the top engine.

The turning is pretty amazing but really drops speed, I've found myself down about 250km/h from sustained turns :amazed:

Firepower is not great but I assume improves with the upgraded guns.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

shirime #9 Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:00 PM

Master Sergeant

• 4123 battles
  • [FPOA] FPOA

Hate to say it, but even fully upgraded the Yak-15 has a speed deficit; fully upped engines CAN but pushed to a good max speed, the issue is you can't do much with the plane at that speed; it's too squishy to fly in straight-ish lines for any length of time (you will get picked off fast if you're gracefully arcing around at 800kmh) and the guns are too weak to ZnB. You wind up needing to be twirling, which bleeds the speed very quickly. It has the lowest "optimum airspeed" of any tier 8 plane apart from GAs, and it's altitude performance is garbage. 

That having been said, the guns fully upped (esp. with both Marksman skills on the pilot as someone else already said) are pretty good (for only 2 cannons at T8) and have really good range. I mean, you're not going to one-pass anyone full health (well, except maybe another Yak-15...), but a few well placed bursts will do quite well, even at 600m - 700m. The struggle with the Yak-15, as you suggest, is that it is a fairly situational plane. I struggle mightily to dictate anything in it; if the match happens to allow me to sit on the center cap and defend against piles coming in who try to turn in the cap to win it, it can seriously rack up points. If the match has more of a mid-high altitude ZnB flavor, I struggle to contribute much at all. 

I'm trying to run it by accepting these limitations and trying to just seek out the situations which play to its strengths, trying to read the map (the full pull up map) to try to guess where a furball will evolve in the near future (as it takes a while to get there). And of course, I sacrifice a goat right before dropping into queue to get a mostly-T7 match and to avoid facing T9s... 

StoptheViolins #10 Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:48 PM

• 1814 battles
The current meta is to give turn and burn planes garbage altitude, guns, speed, or any combination there of.  If you want real angst try flying the bomber interceptor J7 series.

Noreaga #11 Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:21 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
i love the yak 15, but not because it was/is good.  i would liken it to a scalpel where the 262 would be a baseball bat. be surgical be twisty and be underestimated. the few games i had in it during testing were a little frustrating as evasive flying really is not as effective as it should with the cone of RNG that is gunnery. this plane is that par 3 in golf that you keep on getting double bogeys on, when you finally hit a birdie its like the best feeling in the world.

Nimis obnoxii curare

pyantoryng #12 Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:19 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1670 battles

View PostStoptheViolins, on 11 January 2018 - 06:48 PM, said:

The current meta is to give turn and burn planes garbage altitude, guns, speed, or any combination there of.  If you want real angst try flying the bomber interceptor J7 series.

The J7 family had been this way since altitude banding was implemented...

I still remember the feeling of uselessness with jet streams 2000 meters above my Yak-15 when I flew it it in beta...It must have been THAT bad when this crappy me managed to win a contest involving the Yak planes with said Yak-15 back then...

...the Yak-15 is much better now.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

hoom #13 Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:40 AM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3880 battles

Block Quote

Hate to say it, but even fully upgraded the Yak-15 has a speed deficit

Yeah I've got the top Engine now as well as Engine Tuning, Polish & both Engine Gurus, its nearly acceptable.

It cruises at a relatively ok non-boost speed relative to other planes, just it accelerates poorly, needs a lot of effort to get up to decent boost speed & dumps speed to crazy low numbers from TnB, like down under 250km/h.

Its definitely capable of good performances when the situation is right though :)

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users